The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2012!

• I played a small amount of Diablo 1 back in the day but never liked it so I never carried on with the series. I've also played small amounts of Borderlands 1 and 2. They really aren't for me.

The Last Story was great though. Nice story, wonderful music and it was actually a really good length for an RPG imo. It never overstayed its welcome.

• I'm glad The Last Story made it on the list. Had a really interesting fun unique combat system & brilliant voice acting. This was the first game I played in 7 years after I stopped gaming when I lived in the States. So its a sentimental game for me.

• @brannox wasnt just sakigouchi many former final fantasy team members worked on last story

• @ff7cloud Oh! Nice! Makes the appeal even stronger.

• I always really wanted to play this game! Hope it gets a remaster/re-release.

• Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

#14. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - 13 points

Votes

#1: 1 (bard91)
    #2: 2 (ffff0, Sheria)
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: October 23 [US], November 23 [EU]
    Developer: Chunsoft
    Publisher: Aksys Games, Rising Star Games
    Genre: Adventure, Visual novel
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Nintendo 3DS, PlayStation Vita, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I've never really been a fan of the Zero Escape games but I have a couple of friends who swear by them, so I like hearing them talk about them more than I have any interest in playing them. This kind of game doesn't really appeal to me, but it makes me happy it brings enjoyment to others, so as far Zero Escape is concerned, that's good enough for me.

• Let me tell you a story.

I try all PS Plus games. One month one of those games for Vita was Virtue’s Last Reward. So I’ve decided to give it 5 minutes before deleting it. In 5 minutes I’ve got to a puzzle and I like puzzles. I’ve decided to solve it and then uninstall the game. The puzzle was fine, so I’ve decided to watch next cut-scene before deleting it. The next cut-scene was over an hour long (at that time I had no idea what visual novel is) and in that hour I’ve got intrigued by the mystery of its story. So instead of deleting the game I’ve kept playing, but at that point I wanted to go only through one storyline (I’ve chosen the leftmost path on the flowchart). I was very surprised when I’ve reached story’s lock and by googling it I’ve discovered that you need to play other story paths. By that point I was already wrapped by game’s plot, so I’ve continued playing. And once I’ve started seeing alternative paths and once I’ve discovered that this gameplay gimmick is a part of the grand narrative I felt in love with this game.

Obviously some parts of its story and its premise just resonated with me and they may not resonate with you, but the fact that I went from being ready to trash this game almost immediately to 100% it three times and also buying 3DS and importing 999 just to see it’s prequel speaks volumes about the quality of Virtue’s Last Reward.

It was ported to PC a couple of years ago, so it’s easily accessible and it often goes on sales. If my story made you intrigued, add this game to your Steam wishlist. Maybe one day you will try it and maybe you’ll love it as much as I do.

• It can be tricky to try and convey just what makes the Zero Escape series so good.

I put the series in the adventure category more than the visual novel one. 999 managed to do this amazing thing where it took the gameplay mechanic 'new game plus' and managed to work it into the narrative, giving way to a mind blowing twist. I actually didn't think VLR could pull the same trick twice, but oh boy did it manage it, and it did so with no compromise to the shock factor either, even for those like myself who kind of expected such a thing.

• FFS i forgot VLR, would've been my #1 too...shit. Straight up 10/10 game.

• Oh man, that's tough to hear. And it isn't the first time in this thread for someone (or in the previous). I hope people would spend good ten minutes going through the specific year's released games list in the future.

• @sentinel-beach said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2012!:

Oh man, that's tough to hear. And it isn't the first time in this thread for someone (or in the previous). I hope people would spend good ten minutes going through the specific year's released games list in the future.

It's only a bit of fun at the end of the day. We all forget things. This thread allows us to further comment though.

• No, this is a stain of shame that will forever haunt you.

• I like that this game either not receiving vote or at the top of the list. No half measures here.

• @tokyoslim said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2012!:

No, this is a stain of shame that will forever haunt you.

Boooo...

.....though if Journey comes out as #1 then I've lost all faith.

• Wouldve been on my list but I forgot it came out then

• I could have slid it into an HM spot, but I didn't.

• Resident Evil: Revelations

#13. Resident Evil: Revelations - 14 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 3 (GageBlackW23, Sheria, paulmci27)
    #4: 1 (Bigdude1)
    HM: 3 (Axel, Tearju Engi, NeoCweeny)

Information

Release date: January 27 [EU], February 7 [US]
    Developer: Capcom
    Publisher: Capcom
    Genre: Survival horror
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I remember buying a 3ds Circle Pad Pro just for Resident Evil: Revelations. I thought about giving Revelations a Honorable Mention but I tried going back to it recently on PC. Regrettably, I don't think it holds up. Especially now that we have two great Resident Evil games with RE7 and RE2 Remake.

• I've good memories of it, though i had only tried originally on 3DS and then finished the remasters years later: it's worth remembering that this came out in 2012 in between RE5 and RE6, which fundamentally shifted the core aspects of Resident Evil (in my opinion for the worse) so Revelations with its gameplay more similar to 4 felt very refreshing, and at the time it was one of the most impressive 3DS games.

All the best chapters are the ones set in the Queen Zenobia which is a very cool setting, with a decent amount of backtracking, areas that change as you play the game, etc. the other chapters set outside are more focused on shooting, like a raid level and they felt generic to me.

The first boss Scagdead is still to me one of the best bosses in the RE series: the way you arrive there, that voice.

I've never dug up too much into the raid mode, but from what i played it's pretty good.

The main flaw of this game is in its basic level design but that was due to the hardware limitations of the 3DS.