Release date: January 4 [US/EU]
    Developer: Four Leaf Studios
    Publisher: Four Leaf Studios
    Genre: Visual novel
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• First time I had to actually click that Wikipedia link.

• Holy shit KS got in! Clutch @Exist-2-Inspire with that full 5 points.

To put it simply, It's a visual novel dating sim game set in a school for disabled people. There's 5 characters to date, which basically means the game can go in 5 different main routes (and 1 extra one if you're a dumdum). Each route are handled so differently in tone, moral, and writing style. One of the routes is quite depressing and surreal, while one of the other ones goes for a cliche romantic movie feel (and it's my favorite one). There's not one that I disliked. I think I shed at least a tear during each of them.

The biggest strength of this game for me is that those 5 characters are actually well written and memorable. They all have their own virtues, struggles, secrets. It's hard not to get invested in learning more about them in their respective routes, and care for them more as it goes. There's some cool supporting characters too, like your comic relief paranoid neighbor, or the shy but wise librarian. It's a fantastic cast overall.

I also like to give a shoutout to the music. Lots of great tunes here. The main menu theme (Wiosna) still makes me cry a bit to this day. The song itself is beautiful, but that's not really the reason it impacted me. It's just that after ending each route, you'll go back to the main menu, and that subconsciously makes me associate the emotional feels of the endings with that song, and boy it can feel a bit too much for me at times when I'm listening to it. Anyway, here's one of my favorites:

Youtube Video

Considering how this game is made and came out to be, it still surprises me that I got so much out of it. Who knew that a free game that I downloaded because of pure curiosity would open my eyes to so many things in life? It did a lot to my 14 year old brain.

• Legendary game. @bam541 pretty much said everything that needs to be said. If this seems remotely interesting to you, check it out it's free so you have nothing to lose.

http://www.katawa-shoujo.com/download.php

• @exist-2-inspire said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2012!:

If this seems remotely interesting to you, check it out it's free so you have nothing to lose.

http://www.katawa-shoujo.com/download.php

Be aware that it is an Eroge of sorts and so contains sex scenes. If that’s not your thing then you can turn them off in the settings somewhere I think. It’s naturally been years since I went through it.

• It's been some time (I think this is the second ever) where I have never heard, seen, or otherwise been made aware of a game that makes the list. As such, I can't comment beyond what resources are provided here, which is to say, nothing really. Good on it for making it in.

• I remember playing this when it first came out and thinking "yeah that's alright." I dunno not my cuppa tea but I can see why people would have voted for it.

• Tales of Graces f

#22. Tales of Graces f - 8 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (Tearju Engi)
    #3: 1 (FF7Cloud)
    #4: 0
    HM: 1 (Sheria)

Information

Release date: March 13 [US], August 31 [EU]
    Developer: Namco Tales Studio
    Publisher: Namco Bandai Games
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Wii

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I really enjoyed Tails of Graces, though I still do feel its one of the weaker games in the series overall. Unfortunately the games plot is lackluster and forgettable but it makes up for it with its battle system and wonderful set of characters.

• @brannox said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2012!:

It's been some time (I think this is the second ever) where I have never heard, seen, or otherwise been made aware of a game that makes the list. As such, I can't comment beyond what resources are provided here, which is to say, nothing really. Good on it for making it in.

Well that didn't last as long as the previous interval......

• Tokyo Jungle

#21. Tokyo Jungle - 9 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (tokeeffe9)
    #3: 1 (Hanabi)
    #4: 1 (TokyoSlim)
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: September 25 [US], September 26 [EU]
    Developer: SCE Japan Studio
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Action
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Tokyo Jungle is such a cool game, though I'm ashamed of how little I've actually put into it. I wouldn't be surprised if it bumped up to #2 for me if I'd given it more than a few hours.

• Banned

I would like to put theses two games in. Not sure if people have forgotten them.
    XCOM

Also this game as well.

Hot Line Miami

• Ok, back to back to BACK entries on games I've never heard of? I'm starting to become paranoid I was only aware of what feels like only a dozen games from 2012. That said, of the three most recent entries, I would probably rank this one ahead of the other two in the "willing to try if I had a gun to the head" category. Let's see if at this time tomorrow I'll add a fourth game to that....

• I remember wanting Tales of Graces to come to Xbox 360 because I didn't have a PS3 yet. Tales of Vesperia is one of my favorite games of all time and introduced me to the Tales series. I even imported Tales of Hearts for DS, which is something I rarely ever did. Unfortunately, when I finally played Tales of Graces something about the combat didn't do it for me. I actually much prefer the older games in the series like Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World and Tales of Abyss. Although, I will say Tales of Arise is looking good so far.

• Tales of Graces f was fun to play mainly because melee and skills were both smooth. Well at least playing melee characters. Not going into menu as much as before definitely helped making it high on my list. Plot wise it's probably near bottom of the series for those that I have played but I enjoyed some characters. I always like the summoners in these games and Pascal was fun and usually in my battles.

• @acidtrip-69 The voting phase is over, there was a separate thread for it. These are now the results based on the votes I've received. If you want to participate to the next one, keep an eye out for the next voting thread.

• Global Moderator

@axel I'm very pleased to see Tokyo Jungle has made the list. I remember picking it up along with Journey during the 12 days of Christmas sale and I had an absolute blast with it.

The story mode is so fun, getting to go from one animal to another, complete objectives and getting all the lore :D

And then arcade is just that constant one more try to do better. For god sake, you get to unlock a Velociraptor!

Shuhei, where my sequel at!?

• I had the chance to try Tokyo Jungle through PSPlus but it just looked boring. Nothing since has changed my mind. This or a Tales RPG? What an easy choice.

• I only put 6 games on my list this year. There were several games I was thinking about adding to my list to get to 8. Tales of Graces was one of them but it's just not good enough to deserve an honorable mention, it was just "okay" in my opinion.