The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2012!

• Wouldve been on my list but I forgot it came out then

• I could have slid it into an HM spot, but I didn't.

• Resident Evil: Revelations

#13. Resident Evil: Revelations - 14 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 3 (GageBlackW23, Sheria, paulmci27)
    #4: 1 (Bigdude1)
    HM: 3 (Axel, Tearju Engi, NeoCweeny)

Information

Release date: January 27 [EU], February 7 [US]
    Developer: Capcom
    Publisher: Capcom
    Genre: Survival horror
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I remember buying a 3ds Circle Pad Pro just for Resident Evil: Revelations. I thought about giving Revelations a Honorable Mention but I tried going back to it recently on PC. Regrettably, I don't think it holds up. Especially now that we have two great Resident Evil games with RE7 and RE2 Remake.

• I've good memories of it, though i had only tried originally on 3DS and then finished the remasters years later: it's worth remembering that this came out in 2012 in between RE5 and RE6, which fundamentally shifted the core aspects of Resident Evil (in my opinion for the worse) so Revelations with its gameplay more similar to 4 felt very refreshing, and at the time it was one of the most impressive 3DS games.

All the best chapters are the ones set in the Queen Zenobia which is a very cool setting, with a decent amount of backtracking, areas that change as you play the game, etc. the other chapters set outside are more focused on shooting, like a raid level and they felt generic to me.

The first boss Scagdead is still to me one of the best bosses in the RE series: the way you arrive there, that voice.

I've never dug up too much into the raid mode, but from what i played it's pretty good.

The main flaw of this game is in its basic level design but that was due to the hardware limitations of the 3DS.

• Probably doesn't deserve to be this high up, but I'm a sucker for slow paced third person games. I replayed the game recently on ps4 & its handheld origins show but I still had a great time with it especially on the boat.

• I've never been a fan of Resident Evil, but thanks to EZA (see Misters Huber and Damiani), I have, uncharacteristically, decided to watch full playthroughs of Resident Evils VII, 4, 2: Remake, and now I've been following along with 5. I'm sure if there's a 3: Remake I'll watch that one too, but Revelations is one of the side games that get praise from them, especially Revelations 2, so if either or both decide to do a full playthrough of these, I'd be down to watch.

But playing them on the other hand, that's not for me. I can just BARELY take the stress watching VII and 2: Remake, so I'm sure I wouldn't do well in playing them. Still, a quality Resident Evil should be on these lists. Feels right.

• @brannox Hey! I’m not sure about all the other Resi games, but I played Resident Evil Remaster on the PC with some mods and a Trainer. The mods gave me a health bar, so I had an idea of my health other than the animation, and I also used the trainer to do things like disable enemy AI and give myself infinite health.

I kept the health bar on all the time and just used the trainer when I got super anxious, but it really helps calm me down and I eventually learned to love the intensity. Really recommend giving it a try if you can!

• Far Cry 3

#12. Far Cry 3 - 14 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 2 (E_Zed_Eh_Intern, Axel)
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (Sazime)
    HM: 4 (Sentinel Beach, Hidz, Brandon_Reister, NeoCweeny)

Information

Release date: November 30 [EU], December 4 [US]
    Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    Genre: First-person shooter
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• @hazz3r It's not really the health limitations that put me on edge, but the intended horror of the franchise (as in the setpieces, some of the creatures, etc.). I've never been a fan of horror in any respect, but the lone reason why I've started watching the full playthroughs is... well.... I still don't know.

I was so fascinated by RE VII's marketing and the E3 reveal was top tier (aided of course by the Allies reaction). So I guess with how big a fan Huber is and the fact he was willing to have a full playthrough made me feel comfortable (so to speak because there were several moments I wanted to close out the brower during that run) enough to trust in him to be a guide of sorts. As such, I still will never play through any of the games, but I'm down with watching a full go of the ones I find interesting.

• Far Cry 3! If I'm not mistaken, I think this is the one that is adored the most (of the mainline games. I get the feeling Blood Dragon would rank atop all Far Cry games). I've watched Vaas's definition of insanity monologue a couple of times and it's fascinating especially with what's happening in the background. However, I think he is what really elevates the game moreso than anything else (though the map size I've heard good things about).

I'm surprised it ranked this low to be honest because I can't shake the notion is was in serious GOTY contention in 2012. Or that could be faulty memory. Makes me even more curious as what's to come (as every reveal does)!

• I liked Far Cry 3 for its good balance of shooting and goofing around in an open-world. I was seriously considering it for my 8th place but decided to give it to Borderlands 2.

• Should have made a honourable mention to FC3.

• @brannox for me, Vaas had nothing to with it. He didn't stand out to me at all. The open world and ability to approach missions from different angles was what appealed to me.

It's funny, I just looked at my list and was confused. My no 1 is a lock but 2-4 seem to change daily. I feel like Borderlands 2 would be no 2 today. Ah well, this is still an awesome game.

• @brannox said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2012!:

I'm surprised it ranked this low to be honest because I can't shake the notion is was in serious GOTY contention in 2012. Or that could be faulty memory.

You were right. Far Cry 3 was definitely in many websites GOTY considerations. It won GOTY for EGM and It was also a contender for Giant Bomb during their 2012 GOTY podcast deliberations. I'm going to post the podcast below just in case anyone is interested.

I always enjoy listening to these type of GOTY discussions and I'm glad that Easy Allies also records theirs now. The full GOTY deliberations start at around 59:20. It's almost an hour and a half long.
    https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/giant-bomb-game-of-the-year-2012-day-five/2970-17261/free-podcast

I never played Far Cry 3 myself. Far Cry 4 was fun though.

• I played through Far Cry 3 fairly recently. It's such a fantastic step up from Far Cry 2, which, while great, really lost its way with the whole Malaria mechanic.

The gameplay is great, the story is good but super weird (Citra's ending is MAD).

You can lose yourself in this world, and in some ways it's much closer to Immersive Sim than Open-World FPS.

Not one of my favourite games released that year, but I can see why some might enjoy it quite a bit.

• My first game on the list finally, neat. I remember just falling in love with the tropical island in this one and how you could approach things in so many ways. The whole premise was fascinating, seeing Jason slowly transform into Rambo. I decided to go fully overboard in the end with Citra. This game also felt like it started lots of things we see today, especially in Ubi games. The whole tag system that helped you follow enemies, the use of bow and arrow, wild animals as the "third party". Things like those. And the whole environment was just simply beautiful, which further helps cement this as my favourite Far Cry. (Okay, the second island started to feel rather unnecessary, but the north island is a ten.)

• Max Payne 3

#11. Max Payne 3 - 14 points

Votes

#1: 1 (bam541)
    #2: 1 (Ringedwithtile)
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (Exist 2 Inspire)
    HM: 3 (Shoulderguy, Sentinel Beach, SunPraiser)

Information

Release date: May 15 [US], May 18 [EU]
    Developer: Rockstar Studios
    Publisher: Rockstar Games
    Genre: Third-person shooter
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Max Payne is yet another series that doesn't appeal to me, but I do recognize that bullet time is a pretty sweet mechanic. Now with GTA V always going to sell, the massive success of Red Dead Redemption II, and the inevitable domination GTA VI will have eclipsing them both combined, this is now a series I hold in the same regard as Bully: No matter the quality, the bigger names dwarf any reason to revisit the smaller franchises. Which is a shame because it's a game (as evidenced here) that has its supporters

• I tried to play Max Payne 3 recently, but it just felt kinda awful to control. I'll be giving it another chance, for sure.

Far Cry 3 was the first Far Cry I played all the way through, and despite the main character, I really enjoyed it. While Vaas wasn't' the be all end all to the game being enjoyable, Michael Mando's performance was a center-point to the game's marketing, and the FC series hasn't had as charismatic of an antagonist since, imo.