Has E3 LOST it's way ? Or is just business ?

• Banned

For a few years E3 was bleeding attendees, so they started to sell tickets to the general public. If was hard for the people in the gaming press to cover E3 before this I would hate to Imagine it now. Should.the ESA still be in charge of E3 ? If it's not as much about business as in the past ? OR should people like PAX run it now because it looks like that's where it might be heading ?

Youtube Video

• Well I believe the ESA like owns the rights to E3 so if they don't do it there is no E3 (not 100% sure about that). That doesn't mean there can't be a different big gaming convention in the states. This pivot I think is a better move in the right direction, I just wonder if its too little too late. Sony and Microsoft are no longer at E3 (Sony's not there at all, Microsoft isn't in the building), and the ESA is on bad footing with the media after they leaked all their information.

Think its smart they are giving the media a day to try and do all there meetings then open the floodgates and let the fans in. As someone that always dreamed of going to E3 I no longer have that same interest. Seems like you'd be spending most of your time waiting in a line hoping to play a game.

• I find there is less and less need for something like E3. Sony and Nintendo both do their own things and I'm sure other companies are going to follow suit and move to a Direct/Experience format.
    To be honest I find that a lot more exciting than E3. Instead of getting all excited and pinning your hopes on E3 which has been trending downward for years, now you get big surprises sprinkled throughout the year.

• @el-shmiablo I'm a little split there, I would agree Nintendo does a fantastic job with their directs. This last one being just as good as their E3 direct. Sony on the other hand, I don't think they have really nailed this formula yet. I think their second State of Play (had to really pull to recall what they call their's) was better, but at this point they are also too infrequent. Sony I think has done a better job with their press conferences, even 2018's that was a little all over the place I still enjoyed it and give them some credit for trying something different.

I'd hate E3 to go away, it's literally one of my favorite times of the year. I take time off of work to watch all the pressers and I view it as my Video Game holiday. That being said the convention has needed major changes for a while and I honestly hope these adjustments will make for the best E3 ever in 2020 (new consoles won't hurt either).

• I feel like E3, at least the modern interpretation of it as this big event where all the cool new games are announced or promoted to the general audience, is irrelevant in a post-nintendo direct world. I've thought that for a good long while honestly.

• I'm sorta 50/50 on the one hand I love the whole idea of stuff getting announced live on stage in front of a large crowd (especially when you can just barely here the cheers from the audience in the background during a hype trailer) that said I find it hard to get excited about some things because the show is supposed to be for investors and such, which does result in say EA or Ubisoft reminding us of stuff that comes out every year (Madden, Fifa, and Just Dance for example), and they end up taking the spotlight away from other games. Like why wasn't NFS:Heat at E3, or maybe the 4 minutes that Just Dance takes up of Ubisoft's conference could of been used giving a more solid idea of what Gods & Monsters is beyond "Breath of the Wild, but with Greek Mythology "

To swing this around a bit towards the Directs, now that Nintendo had had time to fine tune them they now are mostly all killer, no filler and if there is any it's usally just a 30-40 second clip that basically says "oh yeah this is coming too".

• Speaking of Directs and State of Plays Sony just announced another State of Play on Sept 24th 1:00 pm PST. The post on Playstation blog said it'll be around 20 mins, is going to have a new look but no new info on next gen.

Excited to see how they try to improve this one. The first two weren't bad, just a little lacking.

• I think a trades show like E3 is amazing for fans, people looking for networking opportunities, and publishers alike. But the idea of centring your marketing campaign around a HUGE E3 showcase isn't realistic.

From experience, even getting staff to make a quick photoshop poster for something like a publicity shoot is a pain in the ass when they have 50 other waaaay more important tasks going on that will actually help make the TV show itself. I can't imagine working to make some big E3 demo when you could be doing other things.

I believe E3 still has value, but a more round the clock approach to the industry and marketing is healthier and will be how things work in the future. ESA should lower the cost to attend and more developers and publishers will show up likely. I still think its cool to have one BIG trades show for the industry per year. But expecting each brand to have something important every year is unrealistic.

• Banned

We ALL know the more big companies leave or devs leave that will make people not want to go. That's why last year's E3 event it had a drop ? Is this why the ESA will try to change how it's run. Are they trying to copy a PAX like feel to it ?

• Banned

On this week's PodCast they talked about E3 leaked info. And they had some great points to talk about.

16:00 - 46:00 mins in

Youtube Video

• I agree about the PSX stuff. Sony can just do PSX every year without needing E3. The ones they did in 2016 and 2017 were really good. Almost felt like a E3 conference. At least to me.

• Banned

@scotty said in Has E3 LOST it's way ? Or is just business ?:

I agree about the PSX stuff. Sony can just do PSX every year without needing E3. The ones they did in 2016 and 2017 were really good. Almost felt like a E3 conference. At least to me.

Sure, that will help Sony save a lot of cash $$$, but I found the last few E3 and State of Plays just a bit boring and ran too long for what little they had to show. You guys remember when Sony had that flute guy start their E3 show ? And that weird talk show panels in the middle ?
    But next E3 for sure will be the HUGE ONE. The next gen might get shown and info about specs, prices and dates and what kind of things they can do. Like PS4 and PS5 cross play online.

• Banned

@hanabi said in Has E3 LOST it's way ? Or is just business ?:

I feel like E3, at least the modern interpretation of it as this big event where all the cool new games are announced or promoted to the general audience, is irrelevant in a post-nintendo direct world. I've thought that for a good long while honestly.

Sure that makes some sense. I would like to add that when it's time to announcing New gen hard ware there's nothing like a GIANT ROOM FULL OF PEOPLE. Sure you can make a video but I don't think it gets the same reaction and feelings.