Board Games!

• This counts as gaming right? let me know if this needs to be moved to general.

Anyhoo, I woke up one day with this bizarrely sudden and all consuming urge to play more board games CONSTANTLY. I picked up Kemet and Blood Rage (havent played Kemet yet, Blood Rage is really fun), and am currently in the process of filling up an amazon cart with various board games.

Doing so has revealed how hellishly expensive that practice can be, so I'm asking you wonderful allies for recommendations. It's usually just me and my girlfriend playing (sometimes two others, IRL I'm a hermit by necessity - chronic pain issues), and we tend toward games with boards and miniatures over straight up card games or what not, but I'm open to anything that's recommended as awesome.

Here's my current amazon cart consideration, eliminating games from this list would help my wallet a ton, but if I'm missing genuinely fantastic games, feel free to suggest more too.

help

Good games with cool miniatures is a plus because I like to paint them from time to time

Love and Respect!

• I really really like Descent: Journeys in the Dark (2nd Ed).
    It's similar to games like Hero Quest (if you've played that before) and is kind of like D&D lite. One person plays the role of the Dungeon Master (or "Overlord" in Descent's case) while the other players select a from a number of different heroes to play as. You then play through a campaign (or skirmish) with branching paths and possible different rewards (for both the players and the Overlord) creating a good sense of progression. It also has expansions which further add to the game.

I also think that the models are quite nice.

• @suplextrain yeah I got decent (the link at the end of the post shows how many of the descent figures ive painted) but i havent played it yet! had it for months just painting everything lol. Glad it gets a recommendation though!

• @sblomkamp I really liked The setlers of Catan. Nice strategy board game, basic edition 3-4 players preffered. Wirth checking out.

• Have not played a single game in your list but I have a few recommendations:

• Arkham Horror (Though if you get into it, and want the expansions....be prepared to clear a lot of floor space)
    • Netrunner
    • Elder Sign (Mostly dice rolling RNG elements, but a shorter sweeter version of Arkham Horror, saves space too)
    • Boss Monster
    • Super Dungeon Explore (Think of it like a turn based strategy game, one person is the heroes, one person controls the monsters and where they spawn)

• @ZyloWolfBane I've got arkham horror! its great, but as soon as we brought in more than two players it kinda fell apart. Considering Eldritch Horror for a more updated feel. Your description of Elder Sign sounds like it might fit better in a group, thank you!

• @sblomkamp said in Board Games!:

@ZyloWolfBane I've got arkham horror! its great, but as soon as we brought in more than two players it kinda fell apart. Considering Eldritch Horror for a more updated feel. Your description of Elder Sign sounds like it might fit better in a group, thank you!

I've only ever played Arkham Horror with my wife, and yeah...kind of works with two people cause it's less stuff you need to explain and go over each turn lol.

Elder Sign, think of it like.... the same objective as Arkham Horror, but instead of traversing the gameboard you have objectives/quests you basically try to claim, and you have to roll the correct dice the match it in order to complete the objective.

The rest of it is more or less the same, you still have items and helpers and spells, which help you get the dice you need in case your luck is bad lol.

Way way less stuff to set up and probably better for a "New" group :D

• Pandemic Legacy is amazing. I'm about halfway through the season with a group of friends. I recommend it if you can get a group that will stick together for at least 12 plays of it you definitely go for it.

On your list I see Zombicide - I recommend getting the newest edition, Zombicide Black Plague - which has a medieval theme but also fixes a lot of rules that were kind of annoying in the base game. Also the production values of BP are amazing, especially the player boards and such.

King of Tokyo is also a really fun quick game, make sure to get the Power Up expansion if you buy it as it makes the monsters unique instead of all the same. Base game the only difference between them is aesthetics.

• @wenchwogg Thank you! thats some really great info. I'll definitely be changing zombicide for BP and adding teh expansion for KoT. I see there's a red or blue Pandemic Legacy, is there a difference?

• I don't go for these newfangled games. Gimme classics like Clue and Scrabble.

Also, my family's always been a fan of the co-operative games made by Family Pastimes. They're wholesome and charming, without any of the garishness or zaniness found in many mainstream board games.

• @sblomkamp man, I have played all the games on your list, and I too only play (usually) with my bf. If you liked Blood Rage, and miniatures games then Coolminiornot games are a safe bet, so Zombicide, and as someone else said Black Plague is the best. I would also heartily suggest their game Arcadia Quest. It's a more anime style but it's a fun little campaign game.
    Tokaido is great, but if you're looking to save money then don't worry about the expansion just yet. It's fun enough, but not necessary until you have played the game a few times.
    A recent must play for us has been the game Scythe, which is a game of war and agriculture in a alternate 1920s eastern Europe. It sounds odd, but it's a gorgeous game that's fun to play.
    Star Wars Rebellion is a long game, but it's great 2 player and has lots of cool little minis. If you want something epic it's a great choice. If you prefer Lord of the Rings to Star Wars then War of the Ring is similar.

A lesson I had to learn the hard way, after spending a ton on this hobby, is to get one or two games at a time. You will want tons of them, but you just won't play them all enough. So stick with just one or two until those aren't doing it for you, and then get a couple more.

• The games I've really been into lately have been Pixel Tactics and Twilight Imperium. Pixel Tactics is my current champion, I've only been using the first edition which allows for only 2 people but from what I've read, expansions add in the ability to play with more people. Throwing on the Final Fantasy Tactics OST and laying down some strategic cards really makes for a good time. Twilight Imperium is a bit harder to recommend, seeing as a "quick" game is probably going to last you about 10 hours. It does play out like a space opera and there's quite a bit of different ways you can play the game, but the huge time dedication makes it really hard to get a game going. Plus, I'm salty over the last time I played; I had victory in the palm of my hand and it was snatched away from someone due to events not even related to the game. That's the way the cookie crumbles I suppose, but I really can't recommend this game unless you've got dedicated players for it.

• @Inustar Awesome, thank you so much for all that super helpful info. Great to hear from someone who's jumped down that particular rabbit hole. I'll start with only ordering two at a time. I'm going ot stick to kemet and Blood Rage for a bit first then to avoid skipping games :).

Regarding Scythe, is that publicly available? It seemed like only KS backers had it, and wasnt at retail yet. Looks AWESOME.

@SabotageTheTruth Twilight Imperium! I was eyeing that. I was wary of just how big it looked, a game has to be relatively fast to learn or my GF loses patience. Love the sound of a giant space opera game though. Hadnt heard of Pixel Tactics, I'll look it up for sure

Thanks everyone, this is all super helpful

• I really liked King of Tokyo, but you can only play it with people who like that kinda stuff or their eyes will glaze over as soon as you start explaining the moves.

• You need to get a copy of Ticket to Ride in there!

I'd also recommend grabbing Settlers of Catan if you do not have it already. It is a modern classic for a reason.

• @thenerdtheword will look at Ticket to Ride!

This probably makes me a heathen but I have never enjoyed a game of Catan

• @sblomkamp Scythe is currently not available, but it is supposed to hit retailers in August. So if you do stick to the couple games at a time (its super hard...) then it's definitely something to pick up a month or two from now. It's great.

I would also say try and avoid getting too many games that are super similar, at least immediately. So if you have Descent then avoid getting too many other dungeon crawlers until you've played that one enough.

• @sblomkamp Don't worry about Catan. It's a classic for a reason, but everyone isn't required to love it. If you tried it and didn't like it, then that's fine. With so many games now available, there's no reason to buy a game just because it's a classic.

• Catan is basically the common-denominator of board gaming now. Not saying that it's a bad game, it's easy to learn and I've lost plenty of hours battling for longest road, but there's definitely more out there than just Catan.

Personally, I recommend 7 Wonders. It's incredibly strategic but still fairly simple to grasp the basics. Throw in some team-play for a riot of a night if you have a group looking to create some miracles and crush dreams.

• @Dirokia said in Board Games!:

Catan is basically the common-denominator of board gaming now. Not saying that it's a bad game, it's easy to learn and I've lost plenty of hours battling for longest road, but there's definitely more out there than just Catan.

Personally, I recommend 7 Wonders. It's incredibly strategic but still fairly simple to grasp the basics. Throw in some team-play for a riot of a night if you have a group looking to create some miracles and crush dreams.

Catan certainly is the common-denominator but I think it needs to be in everyone's collection. It is a game that has a broad appeal and you can basically sell people on it by saying it is "Monopoly but actually fun to play."

7 Wonders is great but I find that newer players tend to have a hard time wrapping their heads around the simultaneous turn taking and card drafting. End of game scoring also puts a huge boring endpoint to the game as one person with the score sheet or app totals everything up.

SHAMELESS PLUG TIME!

I do have a spradically updated board game blog which I mainly use to post images from the games I play. I also occasionally write some stuff about games too. Head to Meeple Ex Machina to check it out.

Here are some board game recommendation posts I did towards the end of last year:

• Casual and Family Games - Love Letter, The Metagame, Skull, Tsuro, Exploding Kittens
    • Introductory Games - Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Five Tribes, Splendor, Cash'n'Guns
    • Intermediate Games - Settlers of Catan, 7 Wonders, Lords of Waterdeep, Suburbia, Cyclades
    • Advanced Games - Star Wars: Imperial Assault, Dead of Winter, A Game of Thrones: The Card Game 2nd Edition - Core Set, Game of Thrones: The Board Game, Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition