Board Games!

• You need to get a copy of Ticket to Ride in there!

I'd also recommend grabbing Settlers of Catan if you do not have it already. It is a modern classic for a reason.

• @thenerdtheword will look at Ticket to Ride!

This probably makes me a heathen but I have never enjoyed a game of Catan

• @sblomkamp Scythe is currently not available, but it is supposed to hit retailers in August. So if you do stick to the couple games at a time (its super hard...) then it's definitely something to pick up a month or two from now. It's great.

I would also say try and avoid getting too many games that are super similar, at least immediately. So if you have Descent then avoid getting too many other dungeon crawlers until you've played that one enough.

• @sblomkamp Don't worry about Catan. It's a classic for a reason, but everyone isn't required to love it. If you tried it and didn't like it, then that's fine. With so many games now available, there's no reason to buy a game just because it's a classic.

• Catan is basically the common-denominator of board gaming now. Not saying that it's a bad game, it's easy to learn and I've lost plenty of hours battling for longest road, but there's definitely more out there than just Catan.

Personally, I recommend 7 Wonders. It's incredibly strategic but still fairly simple to grasp the basics. Throw in some team-play for a riot of a night if you have a group looking to create some miracles and crush dreams.

• @Dirokia said in Board Games!:

Catan is basically the common-denominator of board gaming now. Not saying that it's a bad game, it's easy to learn and I've lost plenty of hours battling for longest road, but there's definitely more out there than just Catan.

Personally, I recommend 7 Wonders. It's incredibly strategic but still fairly simple to grasp the basics. Throw in some team-play for a riot of a night if you have a group looking to create some miracles and crush dreams.

Catan certainly is the common-denominator but I think it needs to be in everyone's collection. It is a game that has a broad appeal and you can basically sell people on it by saying it is "Monopoly but actually fun to play."

7 Wonders is great but I find that newer players tend to have a hard time wrapping their heads around the simultaneous turn taking and card drafting. End of game scoring also puts a huge boring endpoint to the game as one person with the score sheet or app totals everything up.

SHAMELESS PLUG TIME!

I do have a spradically updated board game blog which I mainly use to post images from the games I play. I also occasionally write some stuff about games too. Head to Meeple Ex Machina to check it out.

Here are some board game recommendation posts I did towards the end of last year:

• Casual and Family Games - Love Letter, The Metagame, Skull, Tsuro, Exploding Kittens
    • Introductory Games - Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Five Tribes, Splendor, Cash'n'Guns
    • Intermediate Games - Settlers of Catan, 7 Wonders, Lords of Waterdeep, Suburbia, Cyclades
    • Advanced Games - Star Wars: Imperial Assault, Dead of Winter, A Game of Thrones: The Card Game 2nd Edition - Core Set, Game of Thrones: The Board Game, Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition

• @suplextrain said in Board Games!:

I really really like Descent: Journeys in the Dark (2nd Ed).
    It's similar to games like Hero Quest (if you've played that before) and is kind of like D&D lite. One person plays the role of the Dungeon Master (or "Overlord" in Descent's case) while the other players select a from a number of different heroes to play as. You then play through a campaign (or skirmish) with branching paths and possible different rewards (for both the players and the Overlord) creating a good sense of progression. It also has expansions which further add to the game.

I also think that the models are quite nice.

My friends and I want to start playing DnD after getting into Tabletop Escapades but we are complete beginners with only so much time in a week. Should we gravitate towards a DnD Lite as you say Hero Quest is, or should we just go buy a set for DnD itself?

Thanks!

• @GoTaco said in Board Games!:

@suplextrain said in Board Games!:

I really really like Descent: Journeys in the Dark (2nd Ed).
    It's similar to games like Hero Quest (if you've played that before) and is kind of like D&D lite. One person plays the role of the Dungeon Master (or "Overlord" in Descent's case) while the other players select a from a number of different heroes to play as. You then play through a campaign (or skirmish) with branching paths and possible different rewards (for both the players and the Overlord) creating a good sense of progression. It also has expansions which further add to the game.

I also think that the models are quite nice.

My friends and I want to start playing DnD after getting into Tabletop Escapades but we are complete beginners with only so much time in a week. Should we gravitate towards a DnD Lite as you say Hero Quest is, or should we just go buy a set for DnD itself?

Thanks!

I think it would be better to try out Descent 2nd Edition (the 2nd Edition is much better than the first edition of Descent) first.
    Not only isn't it as complex as DnD, but you also get a bit more of a general direction (scenarios, mission structure, storyline with branching paths). I think the massive amounts of freedom you have with something like DnD can be a bit overwhelming when you're not used to it. Descent is easy to get into which is nice (DnD involves a lot of reading for everyone involved, especially for the Dungeon Master, which can be a bit of a hurdle if the people involved aren't sure if they'd find it fun).
    If you and the gang enjoy playing Descent it also has several expansion boxes that add to the overall game (new storylines, monsters, mechanics and so on).
    Besides you can always re-use the figures, terrain and so on from Descent for DnD if you get into it later (similarly to how Ben used the software D20 to help visualize the surrounding for the players).
    Another neat thing with Descent is that there is a lot of freedom to create your own campaigns and heroes once you become more familiar with the game

As for Hero Quest, while I enjoyed it I found Descent (especially the 2nd Ed) to be a much more polished an fun board game for everyone involved.

If you have any other general or specific questions feel free to ask.

• @suplextrain thanks for the tip. I think we can handle our own campaigns but I certainly want to begin smaller. I think my one friend will make a good DM.

I'm gonna look into this game at the end of the summer when school begins and all of the roommates are back together.

• @GoTaco just make sure the person who ends up DM really does want to do it. It's a hard job, and it's best to have someone who loves the idea of creating a world and improvising.