What are you top 5 movies of all time?

• @e_zed_eh_intern

While I wholeheartedly appreciate the accuracy of the tagline for The Raid 1 "1 minute of romance. 90 minutes of non stop carnage", I really like how The Raid 2 has possibly one of the best action film plots in recent years. Like since when do people actually care about the twists and turns in an action film? The Raid 2 nailed the drama AND the action. I love them both for different reasons. Some of the action scenes in The Raid 2 looks cheesier on repeated watches. The hallway scene with the baseball bat and hammer looks a bit cheaper than the other scenes when watched with a close eye. I'll pick The Raid 1 > the Raid 2.

@Sentinel-Beach

Alright, I'll make hard choices: 5. The Big Lebowski 4. The Raid Redemption 3. Mandy 2. The Godfather 1. Rocky

• Just the ones that always come to mind...

Pulp Fiction
    Clerks
    The Warriors
    Avengers IW & Endgame (or just the whole MCU honestly)
    The Shinning

• @sentinel-beach said in What are you top 5 movies of all time?:

Boo to the people who can't keep their lists at five. Of course we all have more favourites than that, but the whole point here was to try and pick your five sweetest.

I like a fairly wide variety of movies, so posting only my top five would be a poor reflection of my tastes. Top five is more useful for specific genres.

• I watch 300ish movies a year. Asking me pick a top 5 is actual cruelty.

• @irongrey said in What are you top 5 movies of all time?:

I thought of these five:

Zodiac
    Summer Interlude
    The Double Life of Veronique
    How Green Was My Valley
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

I like this list

Five that came to my mind:

-Not on the Lips
    -The Profound Desires of the Gods
    -The Smiling Madame Beudet
    -Distant Voices, Still Lives
    -The Shop Around the Corner

There's a few dozen more where these came from. Not sure if some of these are even my favorites from their respective director, but they just popped into my mind so there.

• @el-shmiablo said in What are you top 5 movies of all time?:

@b-cell I personally find that, outside of the absolutely incredible action scenes, there isn't much else to the John Wick movies.

and thats what matters in movies mostly.

otherwise Titanic is one of the worst movie i have ever seen. it was just awful!.

• @el-shmiablo Do you feel like Boondock Saints holds up? I haven't seen it, but there seems to have been a general re-evaluation of that movie in recent years.

• @b-cell To you.
    For me, an action movie is made better by a great story, which is why The Matrix is my favorite movie of all time.

@Capnbobamous Like with most movies it is a product of it's time. A bit of gay bashing here, some animal cruelty there, abusive and toxic relationships everywhere, but overall I still greatly enjoy it and Willem Dafoe gives one of my favorite performances in it.

Avoid the sequel at all costs. It is complete and utter dogshit.

• Titanic is my favourite Cameron movie.

• @sentinel-beach said in What are you top 5 movies of all time?:

Titanic is my favourite Cameron movie.

Most of james cameron movies imo flatout suck. except Terminator 2 and First blood 2.

Avatar was also terrible but Titanic is like worst movie ever made imo where leonardo dicaprio looks like kid.

@el-shmiablo said in What are you top 5 movies of all time?:

@b-cell To you.
    For me, an action movie is made better by a great story, which is why The Matrix is my favorite movie of all time.

@Capnbobamous Like with most movies it is a product of it's time. A bit of gay bashing here, some animal cruelty there, abusive and toxic relationships everywhere, but overall I still greatly enjoy it and Willem Dafoe gives one of my favorite performances in it.

Avoid the sequel at all costs. It is complete and utter dogshit.

Matrix is one of my fav too but come on. John wick surpassed it in every way.

alt text

When Neo looks like clean shaved child. John wick looks like a mature and badass man since keanu reeves is now getting older. he looks better.

and no matter how good Matrix was. its sequel just sucked. on other hand, John wick 1 2 and 3 all are masterpiece.

• Is this a "I'm going to tell you what to like" thread now?

• @tokyoslim Weird question because I'm almost certain you're not new around here...

• Holy shit dude, move on.
    I like The Matrix more. I couldn't possibly care less if you think John Wick is better. I do not like it as much as you.
    Move on.

• I feel weird having to criticize one of my favourite action movies ever, but John Wick, as a character, isn't even developed or characterized. That's the whole point. He's mysterious, every ancillary character talks about how awesome he is and how much they fear him, then he's motivated to murder everybody because they killed his dog. Every action movie does that. 50% of Rambo First Blood is Trautman going on about how AMAZING Rambo is at killing people.

Whereas Matrix pushed aesthetics and art direction, it pushed high concept scenarios, it pushed what action scenes can look like. Neo as a character, sure, he's a typical hero / chosen one, but the context for the action scenarios are fantastic.

I feel like NOBODY should have to defend why they think The Matrix is their favourite movie.

• @e_zed_eh_intern It was rhetorical. To officially mark the passage of this thread from actual thread into parody.

HAVE YOU EVEN SEEN JOHN WICK SIR?

• @tokyoslim I HAVE. And you know what? Just like the Matrix, I enjoyed it enough. But it'll never be a great movie in my eyes. You know why? Because Keanu Reeves is a bad actor. Looking forward to what I wake up to here tomorrow.

• @e_zed_eh_intern said in What are you top 5 movies of all time?:

@tokyoslim I HAVE. And you know what? Just like the Matrix, I enjoyed it enough. But it'll never be a great movie in my eyes. You know why? Because Keanu Reeves is a bad actor. Looking forward to what I wake up to here tomorrow.

Youtube Video

I still really like the Matrix trilogy, though. John Wick, not so much... I'll never watch the JW sequels.

• ^ Cant even get his first big break right. His first big break was the love interest in that Paula Abdul video.

• @tokyoslim said in What are you top 5 movies of all time?:

Paula Abdul

Bill and Ted came out before the music video Rush, Rush and was more significant for him. I've never even heard of that video until now.

• I think we're all forgetting Keanu's breakout role.

Youtube Video