Bend the Knee to China

• Don't want to just scream into the void and constantly update a news story that most people here don't seem interested in but I think things are getting pretty serious.

• @hanabi
    Very interesting, will have to read it when I get a chance

• That’s actually a pretty awesome letter they wrote. Here’s the thing, somebody needs to make a case against companies who won’t stand up to China. People, especially Americans, hate when the government tells them what they can and can’t do, but in this case, at least they are using their power for good.

Blizzard’s statement about “not distracting from the event” was such complete bullshit. Ben Moore made a good comparison that I’ll paraphrase: “what if pro Smash player SonicFox said something about the rights of queer people?” Would Nintendo ban them?

Recently F1 great Lewis Hamilton just tweeted about how he feels hopeless and disappointed that nobody seems to want to help climate change. People criticized what he wrote but F1 didn’t strip him of his championship and wins.

I don’t know where Blizzard gets off punishing somebody tastefully speaking their opinion about China and Honk Kong let alone pretending that it isn’t about their Chinese business. It’s gross. At least somebody with authority at Congress is saying something.

• It funny to me how this issue was easily avoided by not drawing attention to it by punishing the 1st guy, but it shows how much they're scared of losing China money.

My boycott list was just EA and now its EA Bethesda and Blizzard.

• Just to breath some life in this, also because it's funny

Also Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 remastered will be announced at Blizzcon, and judging from the response of the EZA Facebook group it seems like that will be enough for them to turn a blind eye to the thing they were just yelling and screaming about a few days ago.

• @dmcmaster I always find it sad how people are willing to forget about PR nightmares like this if a company dangles something shiny in front of them. I know it's kinda tinfoil-y but I'm half convinced this was leaked on purpose just to get people to stop talking about what they did a few weeks ago.

• @hanabi
    Now admittedly I am someone who believes in second chances, weather it be for people or companies (except Burger King, they can fuck off into a ditch) that said I highly doubt they have learned anything in the 2ish weeks since, and can probably bet on the Diablo and (allegedly) Overwatch 2 announcements being planned well before this all happened.

• YO DIABLO 4 WHAAAAAAT
    ALL IS FORGIVEN BLIZZ JUST TAKE MY MONEY

• well that answers that question.

• Wow, there go my weekend plans that week

• Banned

A few more days till we see how Blizzard plays this at their event.

• I wish Sports Interaction let me gamble on events like this. If there was a bet that says Will Blizzard apologize for the Hearthstone incident I'd pick NO and parlay it with a NO for Will Blizzard acknowledge the Hearthstone incident

• @dipset
    You've given me an idea, why isn't there some way to bet on these conferences.

• Banned

@dipset said in Bend the Knee to China:

I wish Sports Interaction let me gamble on events like this. If there was a bet that says Will Blizzard apologize for the Hearthstone incident I'd pick NO and parlay it with a NO for Will Blizzard acknowledge the Hearthstone incident

I hope to see mass amounts of umbrellas.

alt text

Youtube Video

• some more news about a sponsor pulling out and developers leaving (the second one doesn't seem related to the Blitzchung incident, but still bad news bears for Blizzard.)
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/10/30/mitsubishi-pulls-sponsorship-from-hearthstone-asia-pacific-tournament/
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/10/30/veteran-blizzard-developers-dustin-browder-eric-dodds-and-jason-chayes-depart/

• I'm a huge Overwatch fan (though that's the only Blizz property I have any investment in) and my wife plays a lot of Hearthstone as well as Overwatch (it's the game we got to know each other through). This whole mess has me feeling all kind of mixed up emotions. I want to be excited if a new Overwatch game is revealed tomorrow. But I know whatever gets shown off tomorrow will be soured by all of this -- and it should be. These corps keep making greedy short term decisions and they're finally starting to have to deal with longer term consequences because of information spreading. More people know about what's going on in Hong Kong than did before China/Actiblizzard pulled this, so joke's on them, I guess.

• I just bought Call of Duty Modern Warfare last night and I feel really dirty about it.

I kinda wish Activision-Blizzard would just admit that they've offended people at the very least. I understand not all businesses are perfect but I don't want to boycott Activision either.

• @dipset well all of the complaints you may have for them are mute from their perspective at this point since you are proving people will still buy their stuff regardless of what they do, so I'd say if you are conflicted about what they do, you should indeed feel bad and conflicted about supporting them.

And just to be clear I'm not intending to condemn you, I do stuff every day that I think is morally incorrect, I just acknowledge I'm part of the problem, just as you are doing.

• @bard91 moot