Tread into Shadowgate, the Living Castle - Let's Play the Shadowgate Remake!

• Tread into Shadowgate, the Living Castle - Let's Play the Shadowgate Remake!

Welcome to Shadowgate, one of the finest fantasy-themed point and click adventure games I've played. Shadowgate 2014 is a remake of a much older version from the Apple computer days. The NES port was pretty popular, and is part of a series of adventure games by ICOM Simulations known as the "MacVenture" series

The game revels in a certain fantasy aesthetic where the world is constructed more as a hodgepodge of fantasy tropes and setpieces just thrown together into one location. Most of these setpieces are traps or creatures that want to kill you, and exploring Shadowgate Castle has the vibe of setting off a wizard's home security system. Like most adventure games, the narration will be playful about the situations and foolishness you get yourself into.

How much of a remake is it? The graphics and music are absolutely phenomenal for this type of game, it has a modern UI, and the gameplay has been redesigned. This last point is important because it offers very much a "fresh game" to solve even though the overall flow matches the original. So items, rooms, and the general castle layout mostly return, but with enough differences, new additions, and new solutions so that the old elements often serve more as "references" and less as "repeats". While the puzzles are generally different, beating the original would give you significant carryover knowledge into the remake. Think more along the lines of "Resident Evil Remake", rather than a faithful remake that just modernizes the audio and visuals.

Youtube Video

I'll be trying to upload this series briskly -- every other day -- if free time permits. This is faster than most forum LPs, but spreading out the effort just doesn't work for me. You can watch at your own pace of course, I'll still be reading the comments. Plus, this way if you really enjoy the LP you should be able to watch a 15 minute chunk per day without outpacing the uploads.

• Let's Play Shadowgate episode 2! Expect musings on which items are pointless, finding a very trusty shield, stealing treasure from dragons and tombs, meeting two kinds of spectral creatures, and getting an amazingly sincere description of a broom.

Youtube Video

• Let's Play Shadowgate episode 3! Expect musings on torch music being unwanted, the downside of not finding every intended clue, acquiring new verbs, offering a small hint for the NES version, and wondering what makes a statue 'dwarven'.

Youtube Video

• Let's Play Shadowgate episode 4! Expect overflowing enjoyment of this game's quiet music track, eye-catching sparklies, remarking that Jair would look like a fool in real life, and guessing what might and might not be different on master difficulty.

Youtube Video

• Let's Play Shadowgate episode 5! Expect observations on how Jair would be fascinated by snowglobes, finding extra resilient bandanas, keeping a cool head about the prospect of restarting the game, generating creative solutions using ice and water, and becoming familiar with late stage banshee symptoms.

Youtube Video

• I need to get caught up, but I'm really enjoying seeing the similarities between this and the original (which I still have my cart for). I forked out my allowance for the strategy guide and ended up beating the game before it arrived.

• It is pretty cool how the scenes from the original get represented in the remake with a different flair. I think many rooms in Shadowgate also just have a way of being very iconic, where they seem to stick in your memory really well even if you haven't thought about the game for a long time. Seeing one of those classic rooms being remade tends to make the iconic-ness stand out.

• Let's Play Shadowgate episode 6! Expect musings on my favorite music track from this game, having a laborious pumpkin conclusion, observing the distinct fashion we open scrolls, and the simple joy of snowy ambience.

Youtube Video

• Let's Play Shadowgate episode 7! Expect musings on how important our shield is to our mental state, trying to remember difficulty differences, listening intently at background instruments, and offering a methodical technique to save turns.

Youtube Video

• Let's Play Shadowgate episode 8! Expect goblin fisticuffs, foraging foodstuffs from the bottom of well, and coming to terms that everything in Shadowgate is dirty and/or stinky.

Youtube Video

• A word about my comments at the end of this episode: The next episode (planned for Nov 1st) is going to purely reading through the books on the library shelf, plus picking up/examining the 3 or so books we left on the desks. Some of the books on the shelf give puzzle clues and plot-specific lore, although it isn't very much and I'll reference those clues as they seem relevant to future puzzles.

The other books -- the vast majority -- contain odd-ball in-universe fiction, irrelevant lore (e.g., distant lands or events never connected to the game), plus a few jokes and references to other media.

I am keen to include this episode in its entirety for those who will find it enjoyable, but you aren't missing much if you want to jump from episode 8 to episode 10.

• Let's Play Shadowgate episode 9! Our dedicated book reading episode.

Youtube Video

• Let's Play Shadowgate episode 10! Expect appreciation of more delightful music tracks, Jair to disregard the Marquess of Queensberry Rules, finding a loop-around shortcut, and evidence of a spider who doesn't give a crap.

Youtube Video

• Let's Play Shadowgate episode 11! Expect musings on having every kind of long metal stick, getting real tired of our one useless key, and wondering "how could there be distinct-looking darkness that is distinguishable from any other darkness?"

Youtube Video

• Let's Play Shadowgate episode 12! Expect musings on acquiring a mess of keys and spells, assigning a pet name for the left tower, appreciating good descriptive writing, and holding a moment to identify the instruments in the soft music.

Let's Play Shadowgate episode 12, The Initiation into the Circle of Twelve:
    Youtube Video

• Let's Play Shadowgate episode 13! Expect musings on letters that are shaped like a 'W', hugging dragons, marveling at a beckoning vista, and getting a very patient description of your garden variety sitting implement.

Let's Play Shadowgate episode 13, Lakmir's Study, Throne Room, and Greeting a Wyvern
    Youtube Video

• Let's Play Shadowgate episode 14! Expect musings on every room being a wizard's study, really not liking one particular rock, struggling to name a light grayish/green color, questioning the usefulness of our one shortcut, and feeling pretty darn sure we should have cured the banshee's curse by now.

Let's Play Shadowgate episode 14: The Hidden Room, Fire Elemental, and a New Riddle
    Youtube Video

• Let's Play Shadowgate episode 15! Expect amateur experiments with blacksmithing, Jair can't quite commit to detaching a skull from a corpse, and getting stuck on a harder riddle.

Let's Play Shadowgate episode 15, Curing the Banshee's Curse
    Youtube Video

• Let's Play Shadowgate episode 16! Expect Jair to still be astonished by pumpkins, getting a 2nd hint for the djinn riddle, remarking that one useless item in particular has the sole purpose of being thrown away, and encountering a higher than average concentration of poem references.

Let's Play Shadowgate episode 16, Dread Pumpkin Quest
    Youtube Video