Scrounging for Pennies, Paid in Full or Mommy & Daddy

• Sup Allies,

Thought it might be fun to play a little game. Basically just list all the video game systems you've owned and list weather you got it from Scrounging for Pennies (meaning you bought it but it took a great effort to afford it), Paid in Full (mainly meaning you paid for it but it wasn't hard to have the money, or maybe you got it later at a lower price) or Mommy & Daddy (basically it was gifted to you). I'll kick us off.

Atari 2600, Mommy & Daddy, really my Dad got it for himself

NES, Mommy & Daddy, it was a B-day gift

SNES, Mommy & Daddy, X-mas gift

Sega Genesis, Mommy & Daddy, think it might have been another X-mas gift, not really 100% sure on this one

PSone, Mommy & Daddy, another X-mas gift, got FF7 and traded in my whole NES system and library to get Parappa and Power Move Pro Wrestling

DreamCast, Scrounging for Pennies, paid for myself a little while after launch, picked it up with MvC2

PS2, Scrounging for Pennies, got that GT3 bundle, was so cool that it also played DVDs at the time.

Wii, Paid in Full, I was sold pretty early on, getting the money wasn't the issue, finding one was.

Xbox 360, Paid in Full, at this point had a part time job while going to college and waited a bit till BioShock released to get the 360.

PS3, Scrounging for Pennies, system was pretty expensive, ended up selling my Wii and all its games for this, also bought it used from GameStop while I was working there trying to lower the overall cost as much as I could.

PS4, Paid in Full, at this time had a full time job, never got a system on launch so I made it happen.

Switch, Paid in Full, was kinda on the fence but all the positive word of mouth for BotW pushed me over the edge, glad I did too.

What about you?

• NES - hand-me-down from cousin who got SNES for Christmas

Genesis - Mommy and Daddy for Christmas

N64 - half scrounging and half M+D. I saved my allowance for months and mommy and daddy paid the rest to get it for me for Christmas.

PS1 - paid in full, maybe birthday or Christmas money, can't remember.

PS2 - kind of paid in full. Spent my entire first paycheque so had no money for games for another two weeks.

Gamecube, Xbox - paid in full, once the price came way down on both.

PS3 - paid in full. was making ok money working full-time while living at home with my parents paying for uni...so maybe indirectly Mommy and Daddy.

Vita, 3DS - same as above

PS4 - paid in full, sold Hyper Duel and Battle Garegga for Saturn and had enough right there to buy this and then some

Wii U - paid in full, Amazon warehouse deal, bought only for Mario Kart 8 but have had some good use out of others like Yoshi and BOTW

Switch - paid in full and what a beautiful paper weight. Still happy I got to play Odyssey though.

• My NES was actually a birthday present from a family friend so I'm not sure where that falls, but my SNES,N64 and Gamecube were all bought by my parents as Christmas presents. My Wii, PS2, PS3, Wii U, PS4 and X1X have all been bought and paid for by myself and saving up.

• @e_zed_eh_intern

Question, you said you sold a couple Saturn games to afford the PS4 but didn't list a Saturn. Did you just have those games (i've never heard of them) but not the system?

• @themarcv Weeeelllll I bought one in Japan few years ago so didn't include it as it was like $50 and 20 years after release.

• @e_zed_eh_intern Nice! I kinda always wanted a Saturn and even thought bout getting one when I was in Japan as well. I didnt pull the trigger tho

• @themarcv if it helps, I sold mine within 2 years. It was good, lots of good shooters but neither the systems nor the game discs are getting any younger so it felt like only a matter of time before I had a bunch of useless plastic on my hands. And when Hyper Duel and Battle Garegga go for over $300 each, I was ecstatic to get the liability off my hands.

• This post is deleted!

• @shoulderguy Damn, your grandparents sound badass. For one, getting you so many consoles and two for also employing you to buy a GBA.

• @themarcv They were great. My parents didn't have much after I was born so my grandparents stepped in when I needed things.

• PS1, GC They were gifts from several family members
    PS2, PS3, X360, Wii Saving my allowance and money from student job
    PS4, XB1, WiiU, Switch Have full time job and can afford them without saving up
    NES, SNES, N64, SMS, SMD, Saturn, Dreamcast Bought them used well after they were discontinued

• Genesis - Mommy & Daddy, got it off ebay when we found a random genesis game in some backpack at a garage sale. Only game I ever had for it worth a damn was Sonic 2. Eventually Paid in Full a new one a few years ago
    Game Boy Color - Mommy & Daddy, christmas gift (I think, been way too long)
    PS2 - Mommy & Daddy first two we burned through since one died and the other had its CD reader eat shit, Paid in Full the last one that's still kicking
    Game Boy Advance - Mommy & Daddy, again christmas gift. Getting it and Pokemon Sapphire back in '03 was probably my best christmas growing up.
    DS - Mommy & Daddy. Don't remember what made them wanna get that for my siblings and I at the time but hey I wasn't complaining.
    Gamecube - Scrounging for Pennies. Didn't really cost much since this was well after the Wii came out but this was long before I had a job so you know.
    Wii - Paid in Full. Got it because I really wanted to play Skyward Sword. Not sure why, I never cared about Zelda much before or afterwards and I didn't even like that game that much.
    Vita - Scrounging for Pennies, didn't really have a lot of money at the time but damn dude I really wanted to play Gravity Rush and P4G. Eventually sold it but got a Vita TV later.
    Xbox 360 - Paid in Full. Only got it because my brother moved out with his PS3. Eventually sold it to get my own PS3 (so I guess that'd be Paid in Full as well)
    3DS, Wii U, Dreamcast, Saturn, PS4, Xbox, Switch, N64 - Paid in Full. No real story to these I just bought them over the years.