DQXI lack of growth in the US

• On the last EZA pod they talked about the lack of DQXI sales in the US, in particular on the Switch. As a relative newb to the series I have a theory about this and would love to hear from others.

First of all I love this game so please don't take my comments as mean or hateful.

The jumping mechanics are awful. Feels like you shouldn't really be able to jump. Running is bizarre. It looks like the character is just floating faster along rather than the legs moving faster. Visuals are beautiful but very "cartoonish" and has similar turnoff as Windwaker used to for some. Story and characters also feel very immature, especially at the beginning which can immediately turn people off.

What do you think has limited the growth of DQXI in the US?

L&R TravelingSnowman

• I'm waiting for a complete edition on PS

• As great as all the additions to S are, it wasn't going to sell amazing after already having come out on other platforms previously. People will still see it as an old game now, a port, and there's a wealth of new games coming out right now that are much more likely to attract people's attention. As far as just Dragon Quest in the west in general having stunted growth, it doesn't have the gimmicks and flashiness of Final Fantasy to set individual titles apart from one another. Every new one kind of looks and especially sounds similar to the last to outsiders looking in, so there's very little to zeitgeist over if you've never played one and don't know how good they are. People get obsessed with looking for new experiences, and Dragon Quest's entire point is more of the same, so the appeal is sadly limited to people who already know about and love that same. The demo was a good idea to introduce new people. I think they just need to keep chipping away, and eventually it'll take off.

• @travelingsnowman
    The sprinting wasn't in the original release, so I can kinda forgive it feeling and looking wonky.
    That said I think Dragon Quest is just a bit too old fashioned for western audiences in terms of design and aesthetic, throw in that the last console entry in the US was Dragon Quest 8 back in 2004 on the PS2, too most people the franchise basically disappeared from the west.

• I have no strong analysis on this other than my own experience with JRPGs as a North American. Sure, if you take the plunge, you'll be happy but these JRPGs are all blending together at a glance. They all use the same short hand animations, they all follow similar mechanics, they have super similar story beats, etc etc. You can't tell all of this from a trailer but its impossible to tell how this game is unique.

• @dipset Yep, agree. Nothing truly unique from the look on the outside.