Nintendo Financial Results - as of 30 September 2019

• I'm late on this one but it amuses me, so I'll post my "findings" again with last week's financial results!

Hardware sales
    Software sales
    Consolidated financial highlights
    Earnings release
    Financial Results Briefing

Highlights:

• Switch hardware sales are now at 41.67 million units, so they sold 4.8 million in Q2.
    • 1.95 million of which were Switch Lite. As they explain, the Lite sales added to the overall numbers, rather than eating away at the sales of the regular model.
    • 43% of Switch Lite buyers buy it as a second system, which is quite surprising. I imagine a lot of those are parents buying a Lite for their kids while they keep using the OG?
    • It is closing down on the SNES which sold 49.1 million lifetime. They should beat it by the end of the fiscal year, if their estimations are correct.
    • Software sales are now at 246.01 million, beating the Nintendo 64 with 224.97 million.
    • The best-selling game which may never get caught is still Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, now at 19.01 million units, an additional 1.12 million this quarter.
    • Second is now Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, which passed Super Mario Odyssey with 15.71 million against 15.38 million.
    • Fourth is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild with 14.54 million (+0.93 million in Q2), again progressing way faster than Mario, so it could catch it eventually.
    • Next up, Pokémon: Let's Go (11.28 million), Splatoon 2 (9.28 million), Super Mario Party (7.59 million), New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (4.59 million).
    • And two new entrants in the top 10: Super Mario Maker 2 with 3.93 million, followed by The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening with 3.13 million.
    • They edge out 1-2-Switch which was sitting at 3.01 million last quarter, so it clearly didn't sell much in the meantime.
    • Fire Emblem: Three Houses sold 2.29 million. It's the best start for any game in the series, and already very close to beating the lifetime sales of the current best-seller Awakening.
    • As for their launch schedule, Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition is slated for "2020", while Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4 and Breath of the Wild 2 are TBA, so possibly beyond 2020.

• 2019 has been a good year for new Switch exclusives. If Nintendo can continue to release more of these quality games in 2020, then I don't see them dropping sales any time soon.

Scores from Opencritic.com

89 - Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    88 - Super Mario Maker 2
    87 - Astral Chain
    87 - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
    86 - Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the NecroDancer
    85 - Luigi's Mansion 3
    83 - Tetris 99
    80 - Yoshi's Crafted World

• @axel SMO came out 7-8 months after BotW so it's not progressing faster.

• @iboshow What I meant is that in both Q1 and Q2, Zelda has sold more than Mario, so at their current pace Zelda could overtake Mario in 6 months.

But you're right, Zelda always had a 7-8 months headstart. So basically, Mario came out swinging and caught up with Zelda, overtook it, but now slowly but surely Zelda is catching up again.

Makes me assume that more recent Switch buyers are going for Zelda before Mario, must be some interesting demographic stats behind all this!

• @axel If BotW does overtake SMO, it would probably be the first time a Zelda game Overtakes a 3D Mario.