[Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges

• Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers, a number of sources have confirmed to Eurogamer.

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.

Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.

NX will use game cartridges as its choice of physical media, multiple sources have also told us.

Nintendo has chosen as the centrepiece of NX, according to numerous well-placed sources: Nvidia's powerful Tegra mobile processor.

^^^ From the article...All in all this looks more and more confirmed to be a hybrid console. Putting both handheld and home console together and having cartridges to play the games.

• I don't see how this could work. Overpowered handheld or underpowered console...or both?

I see no reason why this needs to be handheld. High powered handhelds do not guarantee success as PSP and Vita have shown. How many people took advantage of the PSP with TV connection?

• I don't want to be immediately negative on this but I went from hype to a definite wait and see. I worry what third party support will end up looking like... but who knows maybe the price point will make it super appealing

• Yyyeeeeaaahhh... I'll pass.
    They let the WiiU go out with a whimper, so I'm not exactly keen to support a new console, especially one without backwards compatibility.

• I'm personally not all that disappointed. I've felt for a while that now isn't the right time for Nintendo to release a home console. I feel like right now, with most console gamers owning either a PS4 or an Xbox One, they're far more likely to opt for the PS4K or the Scorpio because they've already invested in libraries which will function on those systems. I think, if Nintendo ever does want to do a traditional home console again, it should be at the time of the next major leap to the PS5/XboxWhatever. Right now, everything would just be stacked against them.

On the handheld front, however, the only competition Nintendo has is with mobile gaming. As much as this development undermines the perfect vision we all had of a super powerful console to restore Nintendo to the days of the SNES, I think it's the best move. Anyway, we're getting a B E E F Y handheld with a Nintendo library. All of what made the Vita impressive combined with all that made the 3DS successful. I'm actually pretty pumped for the system itself.

• This is a rumor, I think rumor threads should be labeled as such, the thread title makes it sounds like a fact.

On topic:
    For me it always depends on the games, but hearing Ubisoft saying it will bring back the casuals of the Wii era, and I'm not a Nintendrone anymore, not really excited about it. Give it an exclusive uncensored Bayonetta 3 or The Wonderful 102 and I'll buy it the day that game comes out though.

• I've seen so many "leaks" that I don't believe anything until the company themself tells me about it at this point.

• Global Moderator

I'm cautiously optimistic about this information as on paper a lot of Nintendo's ideas seem incredibly smart, but turn into complete failures. Regardless I will be getting the NX for Zelda, so I guess they already have my money.

Damn you Nintendo..

• Also, some possible specs.

The ergonomics and marketing of the NX will be vital. How bulky is it? Do the two controller halves connect? Are they just to enable two-player gaming on the go, and is there a separate home controller? What kind of screen? Does the dock have extra hardware to bump up the resolution for the TV? If so, can the dock be upgraded to eventually support bigger, home-only games? Will the fast loading times of cartridges be emphasized? Will western third parties finally be turned off of Nintendo hardware completely because of the more complex concept and higher cost of cartridges? Will it have a very low price point to compensate if that happens? Will Nintendo even need western third parties anymore thanks to merged first-party output?

I see ways that this can succeed, but they have to get it just right.

Perfect design/target audience + increased mindshare thanks to mobile + killer Q3 2017 game lineup could = $$$$$

• I think it could be great. I'm hoping that the dock for the TV has additional GPU power, which seems realistic given current technology. That way the less powerful handheld will save on battery power and still have the same game running at less demanding settings than when plugged into the dock. Cartridges are a necessity for a handheld (if not downloaded and stored on the device), so that makes sense, and for a home console cartridges would have a much faster read speed and could potentially store save data, patches, and DLC depending on capacity.

• If it's handheld it will be weak, if it's weak it'll be a disappointment.

I wish Nintendo would just do a Sega and stop making consoles and just make video games. That's the part they're good at anyways.

• If it brings us good gameplay I will be happy. There is a Nintendo patent that outlines a dockable supplementary device upgrade. With detatchable controllers we might get new customized button layouts for left and right handed people.

Cartridges at 32 gigs is good but needs expandable internal memory. The docking station could have expandable storage as well. Only problem is people would want parity in access to their library on the go.

• Even before this, I wouldn't have expected the NX to compete with the PS4K or Scorpio in power, just the original PS4 and Xbox One. Not because it shouldn't or I wouldn't like it to, but because it's Nintendo and that's not what they do - it would be more expensive and give them less freedom to play around with the input methods, etc. like they always like to do. They couldn't possibly package together a handheld and console with that kind of power and sell it at a price anyone would pay either.

The X1 chip itself seems more powerful than the WiiU anyway. My best hope now is that maybe it's like the PS4K/Scorpio in reverse with the handheld having WiiU (or maybe slightly better) performance and then the dock adds more power to bring it to at least PS4/Xbox One levels.

With the handheld having a smaller (but hopefully upgradeable) storage capacity for downloadable games, I don't see why the dock wouldn't have a larger storage capacity that could easily transfer to the handheld (and quickly, with a proprietary connection built just for that) so that you could choose a game from your library on the dock and it pops it right over to the handheld.

My hopes are probably way too high, but I'm hyped about it. Don't disappoint me too much, Nintendo.

• I believe this is the right move for Nintendo if true. Putting everything under one roof and doubling down of being portable is Nintendo playing to their strengths. They said a long time ago that they don't compete directly with Microsoft and Sony and this is them continuing to march to their own tune but in a cool way. Rather than the "Oh dear god what are you doing?!" tune of the Wii U.

I'm excited to see more and if playing via TV has any advantages to playing on the go. The base station could be used to boost the console's graphical power while at home.

More importantly though because their teams will no longer be split between 3DS and Wii U titles that means that we should hopefully see a steady stream of games coming out for this thing.

Above all I think people need to remember that Nintendo are not in the game of chasing graphical statistics and which console has the biggest dick. They always make beautiful games geared for their hardware that play great.

So yeah, I'm excited!

• okay so we can kiss goodbye the zelda reveal graphics uh.

• Can't wait to play Breath of the Wild in 480p on the go :anguished:

I'm really hoping they give the screen a decent resolution, the 3DS was really lacking even in 2011.

• They've burned me too many times already, GC wasn't amazing and had a really rough launch IMO. I ended up using it more for playing GBA games on my TV than anything else.

Wii didn't have enough games, they scrapped the GC backward compatibility halfway through the lifecycle while still not really ever releasing that many games for it.

Wii-U worst one of the bunch, mostly games designed in ways nobody asked for, forcing gimmicks most people found annoying, still hardly any games for it and after all the marketing, the merchandise, etc they're already replacing it, and probably the 3DS at the same time.

This has to be nintendo's greatest gamble, ever.

• Global Moderator

I really think this is the route they had to go. They honestly can't compete with Sony or Microsoft in terms of "core gamer".

As far as I'm concerned, if they can get Breath of the Wild looking better on this hybrid device, I'd be very happy.It'll be very interesting to hear about the price of it.

• Global Moderator

@Paper-Lion I sort of agree with you, but I don't think this would ever happen. Nintendo doesn't seem forward thinking enough.

• If Nintendo go with the ARM architecture, they're done. It'll be another Nintendo only console.

Third party won't commit an entire separate team just to develop on the NX because they didn't go x86 like PS4 and Xbox.
    NX also is going to have to compete against Neo and Scorpio, which is already going to add a lot to third parties' plate.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.