[Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges

• Can't wait to play Breath of the Wild in 480p on the go :anguished:

I'm really hoping they give the screen a decent resolution, the 3DS was really lacking even in 2011.

• They've burned me too many times already, GC wasn't amazing and had a really rough launch IMO. I ended up using it more for playing GBA games on my TV than anything else.

Wii didn't have enough games, they scrapped the GC backward compatibility halfway through the lifecycle while still not really ever releasing that many games for it.

Wii-U worst one of the bunch, mostly games designed in ways nobody asked for, forcing gimmicks most people found annoying, still hardly any games for it and after all the marketing, the merchandise, etc they're already replacing it, and probably the 3DS at the same time.

This has to be nintendo's greatest gamble, ever.

• Global Moderator

I really think this is the route they had to go. They honestly can't compete with Sony or Microsoft in terms of "core gamer".

As far as I'm concerned, if they can get Breath of the Wild looking better on this hybrid device, I'd be very happy.It'll be very interesting to hear about the price of it.

• @Paper-Lion I sort of agree with you, but I don't think this would ever happen. Nintendo doesn't seem forward thinking enough.

• If Nintendo go with the ARM architecture, they're done. It'll be another Nintendo only console.

Third party won't commit an entire separate team just to develop on the NX because they didn't go x86 like PS4 and Xbox.
    NX also is going to have to compete against Neo and Scorpio, which is already going to add a lot to third parties' plate.

• @ZyloWolfBane said in Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

They've burned me too many times already, GC wasn't amazing and had a really rough launch IMO. I ended up using it more for playing GBA games on my TV than anything else.

Wii didn't have enough games, they scrapped the GC backward compatibility halfway through the lifecycle while still not really ever releasing that many games for it.

Wii-U worst one of the bunch, mostly games designed in ways nobody asked for, forcing gimmicks most people found annoying, still hardly any games for it and after all the marketing, the merchandise, etc they're already replacing it, and probably the 3DS at the same time.

I'm with you on this. I stopped buying Nintendo consoles after GameCube. I didn't even buy Wii, despite the innovation or how big the console is - at 100 million units sold worldwide. Wii didn't have enough games - not games that I wanted, anyway. Wii had a better games library than GameCube, but most of the games are done by indies. Most of them are shitty, piece of crap indie games. If you told me that Rare makes games on that machine when Wii launched, I would have been onboard. But no, dumbass Nintendo C.E.O sold Rare to Microsoft. I respect Iwata, but even he made bad, really dumb mistakes.

During NES, SNES, and N64 days, Nintendo cranked out some of the most high quality, edgiest games on the market. The only time SEGA did that was with Genesis, and to a point, their last console - the Dreamcast.

Every single time they launch a new console, they always underperform; always trying to be the "cheap" console of the bunch. It's like they're really trying to alienate much of the game industry as it is. That whole Mortal Kombat controversy didn't help, either. (I wrote an article about this - here.)

I get that they're trying to be the "better choice" based on price alone, but at the sacrifice of "looking" like a contender in the console war. Now it boils down to who wins between Sony and Microsoft. Right now, Sony's winning.

Unless Nintendo corrects most of the problems that plagued them since that fatal mistake of the 90's with Mortal Kombat, they ain't going to be the same company they were when NES took this industry by storm.

• no thanks, unless it's $200 I won't care about it
    besides the batter life is definitely going to die, and use last gen hard ware.

• @Master_Alucard said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

okay so we can kiss goodbye the zelda reveal graphics uh.

Zelda: BotW is a Wii U game being ported to the next generation, just as Twilight Princess was a GameCube game that was ported to the Wii. It was demonstrated at E3 on Wii U hardware. Other rumours (that line up with what we see here) indicate that NX will, at minimum, be more powerful than a Wii U. Don't let the word "handheld" fool you.

@siegeh said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

no thanks, unless it's $200 I won't care about it
    besides the batter life is definitely going to die, and use last gen hard ware.

Literally the only thing we know about the processing parts are that it's using an Nvidia Tegra chip. It could end up being more powerful than a base Xbox One, at least in some respects. And I'm pretty confident that, given the complaints about the Wii U GamePad's battery life (going so far as to release a bigger battery for it), a large portion of this thing will be battery.

Remember folks, this is not a reveal. Only the concept has leaked. Some of your hopes and dreams could still be in play.

• @Carlos said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

@ZyloWolfBane said in Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

They've burned me too many times already, GC wasn't amazing and had a really rough launch IMO. I ended up using it more for playing GBA games on my TV than anything else.

I'm with you on this. I stopped buying Nintendo consoles after GameCube. I didn't even buy Wii, despite the innovation or how big the console is - at 100 million units sold worldwide. Wii didn't have enough games - not games that I wanted, anyway. Wii had a better games library than GameCube, but most of the games are done by indies. Most of them are shitty, piece of crap indie games. If you told me that Rare makes games on that machine when Wii launched, I would have been onboard. But no, dumbass Nintendo C.E.O sold Rare to Microsoft. I respect Iwata, but even he made bad, really dumb mistakes.

During NES, SNES, and N64 days, Nintendo cranked out some of the most high quality, edgiest games on the market. The only time SEGA did that was with Genesis, and to a point, their last console - the Dreamcast.

Every single time they launch a new console, they always underperform; always trying to be the "cheap" console of the bunch. It's like they're really trying to alienate much of the game industry as it is. That whole Mortal Kombat controversy didn't help, either. (I wrote an article about this - here.)

I get that they're trying to be the "better choice" based on price alone, but at the sacrifice of "looking" like a contender in the console war. Now it boils down to who wins between Sony and Microsoft. Right now, Sony's winning.

Unless Nintendo corrects most of the problems that plagued them since that fatal mistake of the 90's with Mortal Kombat, they ain't going to be the same company they were when NES took this industry by storm.

It makes me sad, cause I used to really love Nintendo Products. I mean even the original DS took a LONG time to finally be worth buying, and so far all of their handhelds have been leagues better in the selection department. Even if they do end up taking longer to "Get there".

But they just give up far too soon on their major consoles now, like...Wii had every chance to succeed and there was ZERO reason to replace it when they really had nothing that was going to "Innovate" more than the original Wii already had. And then here they are in the exact same position again.

I'd love nothing more for the NX to be some saving grace that fixes everything that's wrong, but I'm just.....going to be very skeptical and cautious until I see reason to believe otherwise.

Hell, even as good as the 3DS has been to me they still screwed people over on the newly designed one. It had no reason to be made, a grand total of THREE games even made optimal use of the enhanced hardware (I think two of them required it) and then on top of that they swore up and down they weren't going to release anything other than the larger model of it only to do exactly what everyone expected and release the smaller ones anyway later on.

I just don't understand what is going on with their marketing team.

• Can't see any third parties supporting this at all.

• I'm ready for a BEEFY Monster Hunter!

And, FYI, the things that have inside sources on aren't rumors: they're leaks.

• @Haru17 said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

I'm ready for a BEEFY Monster Hunter!

And, FYI, the things they have inside sources on aren't rumors: they're leaks.

Problem is Monster Hunter is done, they're working on Monster Hunter Stories, possibly an expansion to MHGenerations (Which I doubt, but who knows) and Nintendo supposedly will have officially worn out their licensing rights by that point.

So it might end up with anyone after that.

• @Haru17 I think it can still qualify as a rumor until it's officially confirmed, since not every leak or report ends up being true. Not to doubt Eurogamer, but I just remain cautious until anything is announced by Nintendo themselves in these cases.

I'm intrigued. I really just wanted them to be more "normal". Not necessarily conform, since I know Nintendo would never, but I just want them to not go so off base that 3rd parties don't see developing for it as something so out of their way. This report seems like it would put off some consumers and developers, but I'm hoping the official reveal will instill more confidence in all of us that Nintendo knows what they're doing.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Man, I hope they don't mess this up.

• @ZyloWolfBane Well, whenever you talk about Monster Hunter 5 people never shut up about the 3DS: It has to be on a handheld, it has to be on 3DS.

It's not going to be on 3DS.

Given that and the importance of handheld gaming to series like Pokemon and Monster Hunter in Japan, I think the NX is a pretty good candidate even without a binding contract. It's both a handheld and a console. I mean, what else would they put it on? PS4? Maybe. Crossplatform? That would be cool. I'd be surprised if it made it to any Windows platform. They already make MH Frontier and MH Online for PC.

• @Haru17 said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

@ZyloWolfBane Well, whenever you talk about Monster Hunter 5 people never shut up about the 3DS: It has to be on a handheld, it has to be on 3DS.

It's not going to be on 3DS.

Given that and the importance of handheld gaming to series like Pokemon and Monster Hunter in Japan, I think the NX is a pretty good candidate even without a binding contract. It's both a handheld and a console. I mean, what else would they put it on? PS4? Maybe. Crossplatform? That would be cool. I'd be surprised if it made it to any Windows platform. They already make MH Frontier and MH Online for PC.

I'd love nothing more than to have it be on a major console for a change, it's a HUGE pain for me to stream MH4U and MHG on my 3DS and still enjoy it. Even with a CPP it's very uncomfortable.

When I bought my Wii-U for MH3U even though I had already played the crap outta MHTri I still put 100s of hours into it because I had a controller and a bigger screen so I could chill, streaming obviously cost me less since I already had a capture card for console, unlike having my 3DS modded.

I just don't see it happening, capcom has it in their heads that handhelds are better for it for some reason. Maybe cause it's less work since the graphics have a pretty low caveat.

• If true, this is a pretty weird gamble for Nintendo. Its probabaly going to do ok in Japan. But stateside, it would have trouble winning over kids who are contempt with playing cheaper and free mobile games. More so since Nintendo games rarely drop in price or get sales.

Idk what Ninty is thinking if this is really the NX. They betting a lot on this device. And really need this to be successful with Pokemon Go not pulling in the money as some thought it would. Due to Nintendo only owning a fraction of the game and the Pokemon company. The 3DS is still doing great, but the Wii U has been a marketing faliure. And Nintendo has taken some losses in recent years.

• I guess Nintendo has decided to abandon third party support in favor of consolidating all their studios (console and handheld developers) under one machine. Might pay off for them. Not even remotely interested in it myself.

• Banned

Most of Nintendo's 3rd party support is on handhelds so by combining the two they're hoping those devs will transfer over to the big screen. Hope it works out for them, but I'm not too optimistic about it.

• If I can play Breath of the Wild on the train to work everyday...drool!

• @Light said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

I guess Nintendo has decided to abandon third party support in favor of consolidating all their studios (console and handheld developers) under one machine. Might pay off for them. Not even remotely interested in it myself.

Problem is even consolidating all of their IPs on one console won't help them if they won't listen to their fanbase on anything, Zelda is a lucky break.

It's not what Zelda fans really asked for, but it happens to strike on the hot iron of the current trend of open world games at JUST the right time, so people will probably like it. I wager more non-zelda fans will flock to it more than traditional fans and even then it's mostly due to Aonuma paying closer attention to things than Miyamoto when it comes to who he wants to attract with his creations.

But as for everything else they're letting Miyamoto play mad scientist with everything, and it's blowing up in their faces constantly right now. Paper Mario color splash is gonna be another example, stripping out more and more RPG elements to try and separate it from the M&L series, when originally it was just as good of an RPG with The Thousand Year Door keeping in mind the M&L games were already releasing along side it.

They need that man to take a backseat for awhile, you try crazy things with games when you're in a good enough position to take a loss or two, and right now isn't such a time, I shudder to think how things will turn out if the NX gets the Wii-U treatment.