[Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges

• Can't see any third parties supporting this at all.

• I'm ready for a BEEFY Monster Hunter!

And, FYI, the things that have inside sources on aren't rumors: they're leaks.

• @Haru17 said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

I'm ready for a BEEFY Monster Hunter!

And, FYI, the things they have inside sources on aren't rumors: they're leaks.

Problem is Monster Hunter is done, they're working on Monster Hunter Stories, possibly an expansion to MHGenerations (Which I doubt, but who knows) and Nintendo supposedly will have officially worn out their licensing rights by that point.

So it might end up with anyone after that.

• @Haru17 I think it can still qualify as a rumor until it's officially confirmed, since not every leak or report ends up being true. Not to doubt Eurogamer, but I just remain cautious until anything is announced by Nintendo themselves in these cases.

I'm intrigued. I really just wanted them to be more "normal". Not necessarily conform, since I know Nintendo would never, but I just want them to not go so off base that 3rd parties don't see developing for it as something so out of their way. This report seems like it would put off some consumers and developers, but I'm hoping the official reveal will instill more confidence in all of us that Nintendo knows what they're doing.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Man, I hope they don't mess this up.

• @ZyloWolfBane Well, whenever you talk about Monster Hunter 5 people never shut up about the 3DS: It has to be on a handheld, it has to be on 3DS.

It's not going to be on 3DS.

Given that and the importance of handheld gaming to series like Pokemon and Monster Hunter in Japan, I think the NX is a pretty good candidate even without a binding contract. It's both a handheld and a console. I mean, what else would they put it on? PS4? Maybe. Crossplatform? That would be cool. I'd be surprised if it made it to any Windows platform. They already make MH Frontier and MH Online for PC.

• @Haru17 said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

@ZyloWolfBane Well, whenever you talk about Monster Hunter 5 people never shut up about the 3DS: It has to be on a handheld, it has to be on 3DS.

It's not going to be on 3DS.

Given that and the importance of handheld gaming to series like Pokemon and Monster Hunter in Japan, I think the NX is a pretty good candidate even without a binding contract. It's both a handheld and a console. I mean, what else would they put it on? PS4? Maybe. Crossplatform? That would be cool. I'd be surprised if it made it to any Windows platform. They already make MH Frontier and MH Online for PC.

I'd love nothing more than to have it be on a major console for a change, it's a HUGE pain for me to stream MH4U and MHG on my 3DS and still enjoy it. Even with a CPP it's very uncomfortable.

When I bought my Wii-U for MH3U even though I had already played the crap outta MHTri I still put 100s of hours into it because I had a controller and a bigger screen so I could chill, streaming obviously cost me less since I already had a capture card for console, unlike having my 3DS modded.

I just don't see it happening, capcom has it in their heads that handhelds are better for it for some reason. Maybe cause it's less work since the graphics have a pretty low caveat.

• If true, this is a pretty weird gamble for Nintendo. Its probabaly going to do ok in Japan. But stateside, it would have trouble winning over kids who are contempt with playing cheaper and free mobile games. More so since Nintendo games rarely drop in price or get sales.

Idk what Ninty is thinking if this is really the NX. They betting a lot on this device. And really need this to be successful with Pokemon Go not pulling in the money as some thought it would. Due to Nintendo only owning a fraction of the game and the Pokemon company. The 3DS is still doing great, but the Wii U has been a marketing faliure. And Nintendo has taken some losses in recent years.

• I guess Nintendo has decided to abandon third party support in favor of consolidating all their studios (console and handheld developers) under one machine. Might pay off for them. Not even remotely interested in it myself.

• Banned

Most of Nintendo's 3rd party support is on handhelds so by combining the two they're hoping those devs will transfer over to the big screen. Hope it works out for them, but I'm not too optimistic about it.

• If I can play Breath of the Wild on the train to work everyday...drool!

• @Light said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

I guess Nintendo has decided to abandon third party support in favor of consolidating all their studios (console and handheld developers) under one machine. Might pay off for them. Not even remotely interested in it myself.

Problem is even consolidating all of their IPs on one console won't help them if they won't listen to their fanbase on anything, Zelda is a lucky break.

It's not what Zelda fans really asked for, but it happens to strike on the hot iron of the current trend of open world games at JUST the right time, so people will probably like it. I wager more non-zelda fans will flock to it more than traditional fans and even then it's mostly due to Aonuma paying closer attention to things than Miyamoto when it comes to who he wants to attract with his creations.

But as for everything else they're letting Miyamoto play mad scientist with everything, and it's blowing up in their faces constantly right now. Paper Mario color splash is gonna be another example, stripping out more and more RPG elements to try and separate it from the M&L series, when originally it was just as good of an RPG with The Thousand Year Door keeping in mind the M&L games were already releasing along side it.

They need that man to take a backseat for awhile, you try crazy things with games when you're in a good enough position to take a loss or two, and right now isn't such a time, I shudder to think how things will turn out if the NX gets the Wii-U treatment.

• I can't understand why people are disappointed with this. This is what everyone wanted - a hybrid system.

Did people expect a hybrid AND for it to be as powerful as a PS4? That would come in at like $500, if not more.

Games like MK8, Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World all look incredible on what is essentially a slightly more powerful PS3/360. Imagine what they could do with NX. Games will look incredible.

I'm in 100%. As for price, I reckon $300...maybe $250.

• @Alex840 said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

If I can play Breath of the Wild on the train to work everyday...drool!

Here's one with the right idea! ^_^

• @Alex840 said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

I can't understand why people are disappointed with this. This is what everyone wanted - a hybrid system.

Did people expect a hybrid AND for it to be as powerful as a PS4? That would come in at like $500, if not more.

Games like MK8, Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World all look incredible on what is essentially a slightly more powerful PS3/360. Imagine what they could do with NX. Games will look incredible.

I'm in 100%. As for price, I reckon $300.

Never heard anyone clamoring for a hybrid, people want a fully supported home console. Which Nintendo has failed on heavily, twice in a row in fact.

The problem with a hybrid is it's going to fall short somewhere, the hardware won't be supported by 3rd party often....if at all, further gimmicks will arise and probably fail as they've already been failing.

Also, it's too soon yet again after a console has been released that they're about to unleash a new one. And before ever letting the previous console to actually hit it's prime. Not only that, it's almost as if they're replacing Wii-U AND 3DS.

The japanese release window for both consoles seems to support that too, it's just a really bad move. They had such a huge marketing push last holiday season and this spring....only for them to basically abandon it as soon as it ended. Which is going to piss a lot of people off, I don't feel like I'm done buying games for the Wii-U but they're not going to give me any other choice.

Now, that said...if they can somehow combine the NX functionality with the Wii-U then we might have something to go on, the Wii-U won't phase out and people won't feel burned, but I'm not seeing that happening.

• Well, guess I won't be getting NX then. Too bad, Zelda looked really nice, but I have no desire for under-performing, overpriced, handheld console. Just a combination of words I dislike.

• @Nillend said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

Well, guess I won't be getting NX then. Too bad, Zelda looked really nice, but I have no desire for under-performing, overpriced, handheld console. Just a combination of words I dislike.

Well.....it hasn't been proven how it'll be worse or better than Wii-U. But it'd be silly for it to be less powerful since that would make it.... a 3DS.

I wouldn't worry based on THAT yet till we know for sure, price point and whether they're phasing out any other consoles is a much bigger issue.

• Banned

Who put Segs's mid 90's hardware division in charge of Nintendo?

• @Art said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

Who put Segs's mid 90's hardware division in charge of Nintendo?

Not quite as bad as Sega Saturn....yet lol.

I can't understand why people are disappointed with this. This is what everyone wanted - a hybrid system.

No one asked for a hybrid system. What we wanted was a system on par with the other two consoles. One that would make a nintendo console a worthwhile investment as someone's main console. I want a Zelda game with Uncharted 4 graphics. When can I get that, please?

Third party can't be assed to develop for nintendo's anemic consoles, so pretty much all they get is first party, which means they're relegated to always being a secondary console for those who can both afford it, and also feel the first party lineup is strong enough. I'm PC mainly, but I pick one console each generation for the exclusives. PS4 was the obvious choice this time around. I never even considered the Wii-U, because of the lack of third party support.

And most people only ever get one console, so which one are they going to pick? The weak one with few games and unimpressive graphics? No, they're going either PS4 or Xbox 1 depending on which exclusives they like better.

Speaking of which, slightly more powerful PS3/360? In what universe? Did they not port PS3/360 games to the Wii-U when it released? And did they not all run like dogshit? It's weaker than even the PS3 and 360. The Wii-U is a joke. Nintendo right now, is a joke.

• @Paper-Lion said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

@Alex840 said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

No one asked for a hybrid system. What we wanted was a system on par with the other two consoles. One that would make a nintendo console a worthwhile investment as someone's main console. I want a Zelda game with Uncharted 4 graphics. When can I get that, please?

Third party can't be assed to develop for nintendo's anemic consoles, so pretty much all they get is first party, which means they're relegated to always being a secondary console for those who can both afford it, and also feel the first party lineup is strong enough. I'm PC mainly, but I pick one console each generation for the exclusives. PS4 was the obvious choice this time around. I never even considered the Wii-U, because of the lack of third party support.

And most people only ever get one console, so which one are they going to pick? The weak one with few games and unimpressive graphics? No, they're going either PS4 or Xbox 1 depending on which exclusives they like better.

Speaking of which, slightly more powerful PS3/360? In what universe? Did they not port PS3/360 games to the Wii-U when it released? And did they not all run like dogshit? It's weaker than even the PS3 and 360. The Wii-U is a joke. Nintendo right now, is a joke.

I'm on the other side of the fence, I actually am quite fine with the way some Wii-U games looked, BUT some of them could've used a little extra processing power to handle the rendering a little better.

Xenoblade Chronicles X lagged, Hyrule Warriors lagged and looked terrible if you were playing multiplayer, Pokken was pixelated as hell, Breath of the wild currently looks very laggy.

Now if they could make those games look more polished, better rendering, anti-aliasing, v-sync etc AND have a stable framerate...I'll call that a win.

PS4 graphics would be great, but I'd rather that not come at the cost of performance, it's not as if nintendo's strong point has been pushing graphical tech, ever.

I mean let's face it, PS3 had some really good looking games towards the end of it's lifecycle, that's nothing to sneeze at if nintendo was shooting for that. They don't overdo it with their graphics, so something designed to look smooth, and run smooth would be quite appealing.