[Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges

• @ZyloWolfBane If Capcom is set on handhelds as you say, then they'll literally have to make it for the NX eventually. They're not going to stop making Monster Hunter anything soon, and the NX is on track to be the only modern handheld. Like, tell me how that isn't a sure thing?

And Monster Hunter is always made more visually intricate than the 3DS would require. There's shadows, reflections on weapons, and really slick new equipment models. Tri and 3U looked great, so I think MH5 would do well on NX.

• @Nillend You literally don't even know the price yet.

I swear, recent years have been nothing but people on the internet pre-judging things they aren't even equipped to understand.

• @Haru17 said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

@ZyloWolfBane If Capcom is set on handhelds as you say, then they'll literally have to make it for the NX eventually. They're not going to stop making Monster Hunter anything soon, and the NX is on track to be the only modern handheld. Like, tell me how that isn't a sure thing?

And Monster Hunter is always made more visually intricate than the 3DS would require. There's shadows, reflections on weapons, and really slick new equipment models. Tri and 3U looked great, so I think MH5 would do well on NX.

It just depends if Nintendo continues to own the license. MHStories seems to be the last thing they're working on. They haven't even hinted if the US will get it any time soon or not. (Though I'm sure we will, cause come on....MonHun RPG, who could say no?)

I mean I seriously doubt we're done with MonHun, but it's looking like they may take a break for awhile. Maybe they'll do another Dragon's Dogma, or maybe release MHOnline in the US. Which honestly....I'd crit my pants for.

• @Haru17 said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

@Nillend You literally don't even know the price yet.

I swear, recent years have been nothing but people on the internet pre-judging things they aren't even equipped to understand.

Sadly that is the law of the internet. Everything is terrible until proven otherwise :(

It is a shame to see so much negativity around the NX from the Eurogamer piece. The actual console, final spec, games and such have yet to be revealed! Yet most people are once again declaring that it is the end of days for Nintendo.

Ya'll are grumpy fecks who need to take a step back! :P

• @Haru17 I am judging based on facts. The standard version of wii u was 300 bucks initially, 350 for the deluxe one. 3DS was 250 initially. I sincerelly doubt that the NX will be any cheaper than that. And you know what I can get for that money?! An Xbox 1! A console that is, as far as I can understand from the leak, a superior console to the NX! So yeah, I think it'll be overpriced. Or I can get a 27" monitor for PC, or any pretty good component for it. Grom the knowledge I have, I see no reason to spend money on NX in this case, unless you really want a Nintendo console or a handheld.
    @thenerdtheword You are free to share your opinion just as I have, and I am not impressed by this leak/rumor, but if Nintendo has still some aces in its sleave, I am fully able to be surprised. I am acting based on information that I have, and why shouldn't I? I see no wrong in predicting future hardware or software and if we shouldn't do that, there would be no need for news outlets or even EZA podcasts. Sure, the final product will be different, but I'm not turning a blind eye on the info and I can make an opinion out of it.

• @Alex840 said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

I can't understand why people are disappointed with this. This is what everyone wanted - a hybrid system.

Did people expect a hybrid AND for it to be as powerful as a PS4? That would come in at like $500, if not more.

Games like MK8, Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World all look incredible on what is essentially a slightly more powerful PS3/360. Imagine what they could do with NX. Games will look incredible.

I'm in 100%. As for price, I reckon $300...maybe $250.

You have summed up how I feel about this exactly As long as there is a decent library of titles then I'm sold... and given how barren things have been on the Wii U and 3DS recently then I have to assume Nintendo is working away on a bunch of NX games for the first year or two.

• Haven't bought a Nintendo product for myself since the original DS. But I just might bite with this! Atleast there will be no shortage of games, since they won't be separated for handheld and home console anymore. Too bad about the no BC though.

Already own a PC that throws a shade over this gen consoles, so NX not meeting Neo and Scorpio specs won't bother me. If this will use Tegra x2 it shoudl be about on par with Xbox one, that's huge for a handheld device. And unlike Nintendo, Xbox/Playstation don't really offer that much unique experiences in the exclusives department. PC with Nintendo on the side is still the best way to go, if not getting every device.

• @luckywallace both the Wii U and 3DS have had major droughts of software in their lifespans, but if Nintendo can combine the man power of both libraries and concentrate on 1 console, and it won't matter if they have 3rd party games or not.

• If Nintendo announces zero games for the NX, then this thread will hold true. However, if they launch with a good lineup—both released and announced—this time, I think many will be made to eat their words. Especially if it's only $200, which seems likely if they're not pushing the tech.

@ZyloWolfBane Do we know that the same team does both Monster Hunter and Dragon's Dogma? MH4 and DD released only a year apart, so that would take some doing.

• An Xbox/PlayStation style console from Nintendo is very unlikely because of several factors:

1. They don't want to take a loss on hardware. Microsoft and Sony have many other divisions that can suck up losses. Gaming is all Nintendo has until their Quality of Life initiative gets going.

2. Their traditional userbase, which is children and families, doesn't care about power.

3. Third parties are ALWAYS wary about publishing on Nintendo platforms because Nintendo games outshadow all other titles on their systems.

4. As can be seen in their reluctance to continue certain franchises (or at least develop them internally) because they can't think of new ideas, Nintendo is obsessed with innovation for the sake of innovation.

5. Xbox and PlayStation are multimedia machines, but Nintendo doesn't want to dilute the gaming experience.

6. Wii, DS, and 3DS all had gimmicks, and they all sold well. Wii U is one failure out of four. If they get two in a row, MAYBE they'll reenter the "red ocean", but don't bet on it...

If Nintendo announces zero games for the NX, then this thread will hold true. However, if they launch with a good lineup—both released and announced—this time, I think many will be made to eat their words. Especially if it's only $200, which seems likely if they're not pushing the tech.

@ZyloWolfBane Do we know that the same team does both Monster Hunter and Dragon's Dogma? MH4 and DD released only a year apart, so that would take some doing.

To my knowledge they didn't share teams, I think the lead designer did more stuff with Sengoku Basara and DMC. But still, it was pretty clear they borrowed a lot from MonHun.

Would be great if they collaborated.

• @ZyloWolfBane Yeah, I really don't get why they're two separate series. I don't think anyone would be upset if they added magic into Monster Hunter. It's weird, though, since there's both Monster Hunter Online AND Dragon's Dogma Online.

• @Oscillator

1. They will lose on hardware if this doesn't sell well... so its a gamble either way I think.
    2. The traditional userbase is all grown up and does care about power though...

I'm not that invested in nintendo either way personally but I don't think taking themselves out of the home console market is the right move. I don't understand why they can't "Compete" with sony or nintendo. If they can afford to have a console utterly tank and take a loss there why can't they develop a system similar to sony/xbox and take minor losses of sales to compete on their platforms?

Are you seriously telling me that if you had a powerfully equal Nintendo System vs Playstation that the Nintendo first party wouldn't intice you to buy that over a Playstation? I'm a "playstation fanboy" and even I would have to think about it.

• @Mango said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

@Oscillator

1. They will lose on hardware if this doesn't sell well... so its a gamble either way I think.
    2. The traditional userbase is all grown up and does care about power though...

I'm not that invested in nintendo either way personally but I don't think taking themselves out of the home console market is the right move. I don't understand why they can't "Compete" with sony or nintendo. If they can afford to have a console utterly tank and take a loss there why can't they develop a system similar to sony/xbox and take minor losses of sales to compete on their platforms?

Are you seriously telling me that if you had a powerfully equal Nintendo System vs Playstation that the Nintendo first party wouldn't intice you to buy that over a Playstation? I'm a "playstation fanboy" and even I would have to think about it.

I won't speak for the person you're quoting but no, it wouldn't change my mind even slightly.

Because if there's one thing nintendo has never been able to change over the last 20 years it's that they launch all of their consoles handheld or otherwise extremely poorly.

All of them. The launch window is hyped with tons of games, and ends up actually launching with nothing. Let's use Wii-U as an example, in the first 7 months what launched with it that was first party? Nintendoland.

What came in june following the release of the console? New Super Luigi U. A re-release from the original Wii. After that? Pikmin 3. An actual NEW 1st party game.

Everything else was re-releases or ports from 3rd party developers.

Even if it was MORE powerful than a PS4, it wouldn't mean anything without anything to play on it. I sure as hell wouldn't plop down that kind of money to re-buy more games from the E-shop and the umpteenth port of something that's already been out since PS3.

Not trying to be super negative about it, but I think they need to prove themselves this time. They make a ton of promises and rarely come through, if Zelda even manages to launch with the NX I'll be extremely surprised. And very pleasantly. But since it'll be on Wii-U and I already own it....that's not a system seller for me.

• I'm in to it. Because of how I grew up (and my current living situation) I'm primarily a mobile gamer. Being able to take Breath of the Wild in to the wild with me (ha see what I did there), sounds really cool.

• I've got a PS4, Xbox One, Wii U and Steam Link under my TV at the moment. When I play games on my Wii U it is almost exclusively through the gamepad, freeing up the TV for my wife. Having Nintendo hardware as good as the Wii U if not better but being able to play everything on it outside of the small radius the Wii U has is a big win for me.

Then you have the mobile connectivity stuff which has me very interested. I also think people are completely missing the point that with this machine Nintendo are unifying their game development teams and partners to work with one system. There will be games a plenty because they seem to be doubling down on everything for this new console.

It may not appeal directly to the traditional core gamer but it doesn't have to. Nintendo haven't done so in a very long time, so why should they now?

• @thenerdtheword said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

I've got a PS4, Xbox One, Wii U and Steam Link under my TV at the moment. When I play games on my Wii U it is almost exclusively through the gamepad, freeing up the TV for my wife. Having Nintendo hardware as good as the Wii U if not better but being able to play everything on it outside of the small radius the Wii U has is a big win for me.

Then you have the mobile connectivity stuff which has me very interested. I also think people are completely missing the point that with this machine Nintendo are unifying their game development teams and partners to work with one system. There will be games a plenty because they seem to be doubling down on everything for this new console.

It may not appeal directly to the traditional core gamer but it doesn't have to. Nintendo haven't done so in a very long time, so why should they now?

Because alienating two sets of console users won't leave them many people left to care.

This isn't just the Wii-U at stake, it's the 3DS too. We've seen a home console have not only the shortest list of 1st party titles in Nintendo's history but also it's shortest list of 3rd party titles. It's really messed up to just dump it after all the hype this past year.

And then 3DS, they just released another new design of that. And....had literally no reason for it, this enhanced hardware wasn't utilized for jack. Why did anyone need it if they weren't planning to do anything special with it? But now they're just gonna walk away from that too?

It's just a really big gamble, it's one thing to not appeal to any particular audience but.....what're they going to do when there's nobody left? This isn't even just a slap in the face to "Core gamers" because even casual gamers are going to feel burnt, these are people that don't usually buy more than one console, and they'd wanna see it last longer than this.

I still see people desperately looking for original Wii games when I'm at retail stores. These are the kind of people Nintendo wants but yet they're making this such a hard sell. I know I'm repeating myself often on this thread, but honestly....you gotta recognize how bad this looks to a lot of people.

That niche utility this system is offering (Since we don't know 100% of everything yet) isn't going to push that hard, not many are going to upgrade for minor performance upgrades either if Wii-U will have any of the same games, because this is precisely what they JUST did with the "New" 3DS and it went absolutely nowhere.

Their sheer lack of transparency isn't making that any easier, you can see the release window shrinking month by month on Wii-U and 3DS, even japan's list is slowing down substantially. And yet they claim they aren't replacing Wii-U? They said the same thing with the original Wii, and look where that got us.

Also, you have to look at the 3rd party support. You can't deny the absence of 3rd party support has more or less gutted the Wii-U. How will they improve that with the NX? Another new potentially gimmicky console, meanwhile they're going to be pre-occupied with the potential for the "New" PS4 and Project Scorpio. You won't see many (If any) titles being ported to NX once development for those consoles starts.

Meaning they would need a fresh outlet of 3rd party titles, or worse.....a ton of re-releases and ports.

Mind you, this is ALL speculative. This is the worst case scenario. I don't claim to know anything here, I can only provide how this as a consumer and previous retail slave looks to me, it's a difficult sell to me as a customer and nearly impossible to pitch to a customer from the other side of the register.

Will traditional "I buy anything from X company" people flock to it? Most assuredly, I mean even the GBA Micro sold. But until they have full disclosure with all of us about this console there's not a great deal to be excited for right now.

I'd sooner upgrade my PC, or even buy the PS4 Neo before I'd buy an NX. But for the "I own every console and don't think twice" crowd...none of this really matters to them, they wouldn't understand why this is an issue.

EDIT- Also....adding more fuel to that they just announced the loss of a Lead Designer and assistant designer on their in-house software development team. If more people leave that means even within nintendo they don't want to risk being part of this gamble.

• @Oscillator said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

1. Third parties are ALWAYS wary about publishing on Nintendo platforms because Nintendo games outshadow all other titles on their systems.

That's not why third party devs don't publish on Nintendo platforms at all. It's because third party developers need to reach the largest audience and make money, and because the Playstation and Xbox are fairly similar, developing for both of these at the same time is fairly simple. Similarly, porting to PC is fairly simple.

Scaling everything down to work on the significantly weaker Nintendo console, with their proprietary bullshit, weak online infrastructure, and gimmick controllers is not simple. Third party developers and publishers also know that the core audience simply isn't there. Figuring out how to utilize whatever gimmick Nintendo has this time, trying to make a AAA game work on what is essentially a last-gen console, reducing gore and whatever to fit Nintendo's standards, and then printing and selling these games, considering the cut Nintendo takes, is just not profitable. The effort is too great, and the return isn't there. It's not worthwhile making games for a Nintendo home console. The only way it is, is if Nintendo pays for the development, like they did with Bayonetta.

Even if the Wii sold a hundred million units, those weren't 100 million core gamers, they were soccer moms and grandpas and people who don't really care about upgrades and better graphics. So even if there was a huge audience there, it wasn't an audience interested in core games.

That's why the Wii-U failed. Because Nintendo thought all of these people were going to upgrade, and pretty much none of them cared. They're still playing Wii sports like it's going out of style, because for them it was never about the hardware, it was about the motion controls and how easy it was to use. We take controller familiarity for granted, but for a lot of non-gamers a regular controller might as well be alien tech. I tried teaching my dad how to play Ocarina of Time a long time ago, and he just couldn't get his head around moving in 3D space on a 2D screen, using a stick.

Nintendo have to make a decision whether they're going to be a core console like the other ones, or if they're going to be a casual mario machine that doesn't really matter. They can't keep trying to straddle the line in between the two anymore. The only way for Nintendo to attract third party developers and publishers is to be on par with the other two consoles in terms of both raw power, and architecture. This was true in the past, it's still true today, and it will remain true in the future. In this race you're either in or out, you can't arrogantly believe that you can go do your own thing and expect people to follow you around forever simply because you're Nintendo.

Nintendo should either give gamers what they want, or go find another audience, like mobile did. But either way, they need to stop half-assing it.

• @thenerdtheword said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

I believe this is the right move for Nintendo if true. Putting everything under one roof and doubling down of being portable is Nintendo playing to their strengths.

I'm excited to see more and if playing via TV has any advantages to playing on the go. The base station could be used to boost the console's graphical power while at home.

More importantly though because their teams will no longer be split between 3DS and Wii U titles that means that we should hopefully see a steady stream of games coming out for this thing.

This is exactly how I feel about it. It's a key element that a lot of people seem to overlook: imagine for a second that the Wii U and 3DS shared the same library of games, it wouldn't feel so sparse anymore, would it? So if the NX is going to be the only console that all the Nintendo dev teams are developing for, we're not going to have a repeat of the Wii U drought.

And since they'll have games like Pokemon and the like on it, that pretty much means the 3DS-only crowd will now have no choice but to buy the NX if they want to keep playing their favorite IPs. Considering that Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Monster Hunter and Fire Emblem were all 3DS exclusive (not on Wii U), that's a lot of people who will buy the NX, and wouldn't necessarily have bought it if it were a home console.

And with this inevitably larger userbase, third-parties will be more confident in developing for it, so hopefully they won't abandon it like they did the Wii U. And if they do and this means games like FFXV or Dragon Quest XI are available on the go, that's one hell of a selling point!

That's the best-case scenario I'm imagining, and I think that's Nintendo's reasoning... but it's Nintendo so who the hell knows :D

• @Axel said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

@thenerdtheword said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

I believe this is the right move for Nintendo if true. Putting everything under one roof and doubling down of being portable is Nintendo playing to their strengths.

I'm excited to see more and if playing via TV has any advantages to playing on the go. The base station could be used to boost the console's graphical power while at home.

More importantly though because their teams will no longer be split between 3DS and Wii U titles that means that we should hopefully see a steady stream of games coming out for this thing.

This is exactly how I feel about it. It's a key element that a lot of people seem to overlook: imagine for a second that the Wii U and 3DS shared the same library of games, it wouldn't feel so sparse anymore, would it? So if the NX is going to be the only console that all the Nintendo dev teams are developing for, we're not going to have a repeat of the Wii U drought.

And since they'll have games like Pokemon and the like on it, that pretty much means the 3DS-only crowd will now have no choice but to buy the NX if they want to keep playing their favorite IPs. Considering that Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Monster Hunter and Fire Emblem were all 3DS exclusive (not on Wii U), that's a lot of people who will buy the NX, and wouldn't necessarily have bought it if it were a home console.

And with this inevitably larger userbase, third-parties will be more confident in developing for it, so hopefully they won't abandon it like they did the Wii U. And if they do and this means games like FFXV or Dragon Quest XI are available on the go, that's one hell of a selling point!

That's the best-case scenario I'm imagining, and I think that's Nintendo's reasoning... but it's Nintendo so who the hell knows :D

That's also what I'm hoping for, instead of just throwing whatever the hell they have into a hat and winging it I want them to go full ham and give people what they're actually asking for.

Not to mention having only one console from nintendo to buy games for would make things a lot easier on my wallet, and I've always said they should stick to handhelds personally, their best platforms over the last few years have all been handheld, I say this purely as an RPG fan of course since I have little or no attachment to most other 1st party nintendo titles because they keep changing far too much or are going a little TOO child friendly for me to be interested in them anymore.

Or....they went hamfisted with their silly gimmicks (Like Star Fox Zero or the new 3DS metroid) and basically told me that I don't really know what I want, and that if I give the games a chance I'll eventually just "Get it". Which has caused me to write off these IPs forever.

But all of this is all speculation until they have an official announcement, hopefully it's sooner than next year's E3.