[Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges

• @thenerdtheword said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

I've got a PS4, Xbox One, Wii U and Steam Link under my TV at the moment. When I play games on my Wii U it is almost exclusively through the gamepad, freeing up the TV for my wife. Having Nintendo hardware as good as the Wii U if not better but being able to play everything on it outside of the small radius the Wii U has is a big win for me.

Then you have the mobile connectivity stuff which has me very interested. I also think people are completely missing the point that with this machine Nintendo are unifying their game development teams and partners to work with one system. There will be games a plenty because they seem to be doubling down on everything for this new console.

It may not appeal directly to the traditional core gamer but it doesn't have to. Nintendo haven't done so in a very long time, so why should they now?

Because alienating two sets of console users won't leave them many people left to care.

This isn't just the Wii-U at stake, it's the 3DS too. We've seen a home console have not only the shortest list of 1st party titles in Nintendo's history but also it's shortest list of 3rd party titles. It's really messed up to just dump it after all the hype this past year.

And then 3DS, they just released another new design of that. And....had literally no reason for it, this enhanced hardware wasn't utilized for jack. Why did anyone need it if they weren't planning to do anything special with it? But now they're just gonna walk away from that too?

It's just a really big gamble, it's one thing to not appeal to any particular audience but.....what're they going to do when there's nobody left? This isn't even just a slap in the face to "Core gamers" because even casual gamers are going to feel burnt, these are people that don't usually buy more than one console, and they'd wanna see it last longer than this.

I still see people desperately looking for original Wii games when I'm at retail stores. These are the kind of people Nintendo wants but yet they're making this such a hard sell. I know I'm repeating myself often on this thread, but honestly....you gotta recognize how bad this looks to a lot of people.

That niche utility this system is offering (Since we don't know 100% of everything yet) isn't going to push that hard, not many are going to upgrade for minor performance upgrades either if Wii-U will have any of the same games, because this is precisely what they JUST did with the "New" 3DS and it went absolutely nowhere.

Their sheer lack of transparency isn't making that any easier, you can see the release window shrinking month by month on Wii-U and 3DS, even japan's list is slowing down substantially. And yet they claim they aren't replacing Wii-U? They said the same thing with the original Wii, and look where that got us.

Also, you have to look at the 3rd party support. You can't deny the absence of 3rd party support has more or less gutted the Wii-U. How will they improve that with the NX? Another new potentially gimmicky console, meanwhile they're going to be pre-occupied with the potential for the "New" PS4 and Project Scorpio. You won't see many (If any) titles being ported to NX once development for those consoles starts.

Meaning they would need a fresh outlet of 3rd party titles, or worse.....a ton of re-releases and ports.

Mind you, this is ALL speculative. This is the worst case scenario. I don't claim to know anything here, I can only provide how this as a consumer and previous retail slave looks to me, it's a difficult sell to me as a customer and nearly impossible to pitch to a customer from the other side of the register.

Will traditional "I buy anything from X company" people flock to it? Most assuredly, I mean even the GBA Micro sold. But until they have full disclosure with all of us about this console there's not a great deal to be excited for right now.

I'd sooner upgrade my PC, or even buy the PS4 Neo before I'd buy an NX. But for the "I own every console and don't think twice" crowd...none of this really matters to them, they wouldn't understand why this is an issue.

EDIT- Also....adding more fuel to that they just announced the loss of a Lead Designer and assistant designer on their in-house software development team. If more people leave that means even within nintendo they don't want to risk being part of this gamble.

• @Oscillator said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

1. Third parties are ALWAYS wary about publishing on Nintendo platforms because Nintendo games outshadow all other titles on their systems.

That's not why third party devs don't publish on Nintendo platforms at all. It's because third party developers need to reach the largest audience and make money, and because the Playstation and Xbox are fairly similar, developing for both of these at the same time is fairly simple. Similarly, porting to PC is fairly simple.

Scaling everything down to work on the significantly weaker Nintendo console, with their proprietary bullshit, weak online infrastructure, and gimmick controllers is not simple. Third party developers and publishers also know that the core audience simply isn't there. Figuring out how to utilize whatever gimmick Nintendo has this time, trying to make a AAA game work on what is essentially a last-gen console, reducing gore and whatever to fit Nintendo's standards, and then printing and selling these games, considering the cut Nintendo takes, is just not profitable. The effort is too great, and the return isn't there. It's not worthwhile making games for a Nintendo home console. The only way it is, is if Nintendo pays for the development, like they did with Bayonetta.

Even if the Wii sold a hundred million units, those weren't 100 million core gamers, they were soccer moms and grandpas and people who don't really care about upgrades and better graphics. So even if there was a huge audience there, it wasn't an audience interested in core games.

That's why the Wii-U failed. Because Nintendo thought all of these people were going to upgrade, and pretty much none of them cared. They're still playing Wii sports like it's going out of style, because for them it was never about the hardware, it was about the motion controls and how easy it was to use. We take controller familiarity for granted, but for a lot of non-gamers a regular controller might as well be alien tech. I tried teaching my dad how to play Ocarina of Time a long time ago, and he just couldn't get his head around moving in 3D space on a 2D screen, using a stick.

Nintendo have to make a decision whether they're going to be a core console like the other ones, or if they're going to be a casual mario machine that doesn't really matter. They can't keep trying to straddle the line in between the two anymore. The only way for Nintendo to attract third party developers and publishers is to be on par with the other two consoles in terms of both raw power, and architecture. This was true in the past, it's still true today, and it will remain true in the future. In this race you're either in or out, you can't arrogantly believe that you can go do your own thing and expect people to follow you around forever simply because you're Nintendo.

Nintendo should either give gamers what they want, or go find another audience, like mobile did. But either way, they need to stop half-assing it.

• @thenerdtheword said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

I believe this is the right move for Nintendo if true. Putting everything under one roof and doubling down of being portable is Nintendo playing to their strengths.

I'm excited to see more and if playing via TV has any advantages to playing on the go. The base station could be used to boost the console's graphical power while at home.

More importantly though because their teams will no longer be split between 3DS and Wii U titles that means that we should hopefully see a steady stream of games coming out for this thing.

This is exactly how I feel about it. It's a key element that a lot of people seem to overlook: imagine for a second that the Wii U and 3DS shared the same library of games, it wouldn't feel so sparse anymore, would it? So if the NX is going to be the only console that all the Nintendo dev teams are developing for, we're not going to have a repeat of the Wii U drought.

And since they'll have games like Pokemon and the like on it, that pretty much means the 3DS-only crowd will now have no choice but to buy the NX if they want to keep playing their favorite IPs. Considering that Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Monster Hunter and Fire Emblem were all 3DS exclusive (not on Wii U), that's a lot of people who will buy the NX, and wouldn't necessarily have bought it if it were a home console.

And with this inevitably larger userbase, third-parties will be more confident in developing for it, so hopefully they won't abandon it like they did the Wii U. And if they do and this means games like FFXV or Dragon Quest XI are available on the go, that's one hell of a selling point!

That's the best-case scenario I'm imagining, and I think that's Nintendo's reasoning... but it's Nintendo so who the hell knows :D

• @Axel said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

@thenerdtheword said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

I believe this is the right move for Nintendo if true. Putting everything under one roof and doubling down of being portable is Nintendo playing to their strengths.

I'm excited to see more and if playing via TV has any advantages to playing on the go. The base station could be used to boost the console's graphical power while at home.

More importantly though because their teams will no longer be split between 3DS and Wii U titles that means that we should hopefully see a steady stream of games coming out for this thing.

This is exactly how I feel about it. It's a key element that a lot of people seem to overlook: imagine for a second that the Wii U and 3DS shared the same library of games, it wouldn't feel so sparse anymore, would it? So if the NX is going to be the only console that all the Nintendo dev teams are developing for, we're not going to have a repeat of the Wii U drought.

And since they'll have games like Pokemon and the like on it, that pretty much means the 3DS-only crowd will now have no choice but to buy the NX if they want to keep playing their favorite IPs. Considering that Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Monster Hunter and Fire Emblem were all 3DS exclusive (not on Wii U), that's a lot of people who will buy the NX, and wouldn't necessarily have bought it if it were a home console.

And with this inevitably larger userbase, third-parties will be more confident in developing for it, so hopefully they won't abandon it like they did the Wii U. And if they do and this means games like FFXV or Dragon Quest XI are available on the go, that's one hell of a selling point!

That's the best-case scenario I'm imagining, and I think that's Nintendo's reasoning... but it's Nintendo so who the hell knows :D

That's also what I'm hoping for, instead of just throwing whatever the hell they have into a hat and winging it I want them to go full ham and give people what they're actually asking for.

Not to mention having only one console from nintendo to buy games for would make things a lot easier on my wallet, and I've always said they should stick to handhelds personally, their best platforms over the last few years have all been handheld, I say this purely as an RPG fan of course since I have little or no attachment to most other 1st party nintendo titles because they keep changing far too much or are going a little TOO child friendly for me to be interested in them anymore.

Or....they went hamfisted with their silly gimmicks (Like Star Fox Zero or the new 3DS metroid) and basically told me that I don't really know what I want, and that if I give the games a chance I'll eventually just "Get it". Which has caused me to write off these IPs forever.

But all of this is all speculation until they have an official announcement, hopefully it's sooner than next year's E3.

• I for one am excited about these rumors. I have a PS4 for Sony exclusives and a pretty beefy PC for everything else. If the rumors are true (the NX will have the latest Tegra chip), then the NX's performance will be between the PS3 and PS4, and that's if they use the X1 chip. NVIDIA is revealing their X2 chip later this year, which should be a huge improvement over its predecessor. Either way, the promise of 3DS IPs with PS3/PS4 graphics is way more enticing to me than a new console with 23234235 TFLOPS.

• @Paper-Lion said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

That's not why third party devs don't publish on Nintendo platforms at all....

Everything you said is true, but the point I was trying to make is that even if Nintendo DID do everything right, meaning make an Xbox/PS clone, Nintendo's own games would still be the top selling games on the system.

Look at the SNES charts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_video_games

One third party game in the top 5 (#4), three in the top 10 (one being Japan only), then two more Japan-only games in the next 10. The whole middle part of the list is bolstered by Japan-friendly games. Take them out, and you've got a heavily Nintendo-weighted top followed by third-party dregs. Sound familiar?

It gets even worse nowadays since the console market in Japan is dying. That's a big factor in the thinking behind NX, because even though over 70% of Nintendo's sales are overseas, they're a Japan-centric company. Nintendo of America has little autonomy. Nintendo of Europe gets a little more (some ports, especially JRPGs, tend to hit Europe first), probably because they have a Japanese president. Anything with a handheld component will speak to Japan better.

• @ZyloWolfBane said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

But all of this is all speculation until they have an official announcement, hopefully it's sooner than next year's E3.

Nintendo has re-iterated several times that NX is launching next March.

• I honestly don't believe that it'll be as wacky as what's described in the article. One thing that has to be remembered is the usual "say a bunch of things and if 50% of them can be interpreted as right you'll look like a genius" line of skepticism when approaching rumours as giant as these, especially when the best confirmation you can come up with is "Kotaku has a sort of similar thing but they're not going to commit to saying yes or no". It seems to me like an amalgamation of different ideas based on past evidence, which is a pretty good metric to use when predicting future house prices, but when it's Nintendo's imagination and your inside source still hasn't been close to confirmed any doubts are very justified.

• I think putting roughly Xbox One level power into a portable form factor is a great way for Nintendo to differentiate themselves. People have shown a willingness to haul iPads and huge phones all over the place so I don't think the size is a major issue now. Merge the two product lines, play off the strengths of both.

Only concern is that detachable controller nonsense but we'll see.

• Hated this at first but the more I think about it the more I like it. No one is going to buy this machine for the 3rd-parties, since pretty much everyone who plays games has a PC/PS4/X1 already. Why not make it different. Combining console and handheld also means Nintendo can now put all of their games on the same platform (think 3ds+wii u, the library would be huge). When it comes to the power, if it's atleast somewhat close to X1, that's enough for Nintendo. I think they proved with the Wii U that they can crank out beautiful games without the need of power thanks to their games' timeless artstyles. Anyway, personally this sounds great, i'll play all of the 3rd-party- and Microsoft games on PC, PS4 exclusives on PS4, and Nintendo games on NX.

Hell, call the machine "Nintendo Go" and tease an HD Pokémon game to ride the wave it's having. They better be getting close to an announcment soon though.

• @crey said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

Hell, call the machine "Nintendo Go" and tease an HD Pokémon game to ride the wave it's having. They better be getting close to an announcment soon though.

Hey, Nintendo Go is very clever actually! Even without the Pokemon Go reference, it's snappy, sums up what the console is about, it feels dynamic. Damn, now I think I'm gonna be disappointed if it's called anything else :D

• I've been down on Nintendo for a long time but this sounds to me like the coolest thing they've ever done.

I'm highly intrigued to see those detachable controllers.

• @Oscillator said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

An Xbox/PlayStation style console from Nintendo is very unlikely because of several factors:

1. They don't want to take a loss on hardware. Microsoft and Sony have many other divisions that can suck up losses. Gaming is all Nintendo has until their Quality of Life initiative gets going.

2. Their traditional userbase, which is children and families, doesn't care about power.

3. Third parties are ALWAYS wary about publishing on Nintendo platforms because Nintendo games outshadow all other titles on their systems.

4. As can be seen in their reluctance to continue certain franchises (or at least develop them internally) because they can't think of new ideas, Nintendo is obsessed with innovation for the sake of innovation.

5. Xbox and PlayStation are multimedia machines, but Nintendo doesn't want to dilute the gaming experience.

6. Wii, DS, and 3DS all had gimmicks, and they all sold well. Wii U is one failure out of four. If they get two in a row, MAYBE they'll reenter the "red ocean", but don't bet on it...

I'm like "What?" at #2 - kids do care about power. I was visiting a family friend, and they had a kid who play games. He told me that Wii sucks because it doesn't look good. Wii U is worse in this aspect, even though under the hood, it's about as powerful as Xbox 360 or PS3. The problem here is - Nintendo is stuck in Disneyland. They think that their machines "attract" kids. No. Their parents buy these consoles for them to play, but they won't get anything like your yearly Call of Duty, your annual Battlefields, your bi-annual action game.

Kids grow up faster than you realize. My nephew just visited me; he wants to watch Men in Black, but his mom babies him not to watch that. Or Jurassic Park, which is low on violence.

#5 I disagree with. Wii U didn't fail because of going back to hardcore gaming, it failed because Nintendo is stuck in the same dance over and over again. Wii U had a gimmick, but a poorly executed one; a bulky tablet controller. That's one part. The other part is poor, poor marketing. Wii U was a sorely missed opportunity for Nintendo. Tablet gaming was on the rise, and that's what they were trying to "bank on." Too bad their execution was poor, because it would have sold more units than it has. The name has also been said to be a major problem for casuals or parents in general. Some think Wii U is an expensive upgrade. Not an expensive new console. There's your problem.

Price matters, yes, but that's not what held people back from buying Wii U. Wii U sold enough units to understand the market, but Nintendo screwed up in some places, such as games. They alienate the third party companies with their policies. It's not because like you said in #3 - it's because Nintendo is rigid in their policies. You will have to make a game that's "family friendly" or GTFO. I linked everyone to an article, go back to my post and click that link.

The Mortal Kombat controversy pushed many developers away from SNES/N64, then the Seal of Quality rules were enforced enough that games like Super Castlevania 4, Duke Nukem, Doom 64, and other heavy hitters were toned down due to Nintendo's rigid policies for the sake of keeping with "family friendly."

@Oscillator said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

@Paper-Lion said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

That's not why third party devs don't publish on Nintendo platforms at all....

Everything you said is true, but the point I was trying to make is that even if Nintendo DID do everything right, meaning make an Xbox/PS clone, Nintendo's own games would still be the top selling games on the system.

Look at the SNES charts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_video_games

One third party game in the top 5 (#4), three in the top 10 (one being Japan only), then two more Japan-only games in the next 10. The whole middle part of the list is bolstered by Japan-friendly games. Take them out, and you've got a heavily Nintendo-weighted top followed by third-party dregs. Sound familiar?

It gets even worse nowadays since the console market in Japan is dying. That's a big factor in the thinking behind NX, because even though over 70% of Nintendo's sales are overseas, they're a Japan-centric company. Nintendo of America has little autonomy. Nintendo of Europe gets a little more (some ports, especially JRPGs, tend to hit Europe first), probably because they have a Japanese president. Anything with a handheld component will speak to Japan better.

Yeah, but you're not getting it, though. Nintendo always has weak hardware, which is another reason why it doesn't get developers. The major problem with Nintendo is their policies. You would have to scale back most of your content just to keep with their "family friendly" code.

Developers always have to scale back just for Nintendo's consoles every single time. It sucks up a lot of resources for companies.

Oh, and BTW: SNES was Nintendo's peak, we're not going to get that kind of era back. The very top 10 published games today are made by third parties. Call of Duty, Battlefield, Madden, Fallout, Doom, Uncharted, etc.

Right now, Nintendo's third party support is so low, that they have to rely on first party devs, and indies (see: Wii). On the handheld side: They have third parties, but not the kind of 3rd party companies we're used to here in U.S. They have to rely on first party devs and indies, too. 3DS is their sweet spot for profit from software sales.

• @Carlos said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

3DS is their sweet spot for profit from software sales.

Hence the merging of console and handheld. To get the same software output on both. Console games on the go, no droughts at home, more games sold overall. That's what they're hoping for, and it might just work...

• I think whether or not this succeeds is COMPLETELY reliant upon what games will be available within the first couple months of launch.

Even the most skeptical person would likely buy this if it had 10 or 15 solid to great games immediately available.

I don't think that will happen, but I'm excited more about the games then the hardware.

Personally I'd buy it if at launch it had a new Zelda, new Metroid, new Mario, new Animal Crossing, new Donkey Kong and a new Megaman! (I have been told that I am delusional)

• @Inustar said in [Rumor] - Eurogamer: NX will be a portable hybrid, powered by Tegra with Cartridges:

I think whether or not this succeeds is COMPLETELY reliant upon what games will be available within the first couple months of launch.

Since it's launching in March, it's more dependent on what's available after the launch window, in Fall 2017.