The Game Awards 2019

• Considering everybody under the sun has given Disco Elysium fantastic reviews and its sitting as the second most acclaimed game of 2019, I'm surprised it didn't get a GOTY nomination.

Is it as fantastic as everybody says it is?

• @dipset
    Honestly this is the first of me hearing of it, but disco greek gods does sound like something awesome.

• RE2 is my Goty

• Truly the performance of the decade
    Youtube Video

• I know this might sound controversial but I don't feel the Resident Evil 2 shouldn't be a nominee for game of the year. The game has released and is just a remake of an original.

• I'd say it's more a reimagining then remake...in fact I think Capcom even said it was.

• @mico_moreno Definitely far enough removed from the original to count as a new game. That said, it shouldn't win because there's better nominees.

• @mbun
    Like little known indie game Death Stranding

• @mbun I agree with you. I likely won't win. My personal GOTY based on those nominees is Outer Worlds.

• @mico_moreno

I respect your opinion but I think Resident Evil 2 is the gold standard for an action / shooter game in 2019 and beyond.

It isn’t just shoot shoot shoot like other action games. There are a variety of enemy types that you have to think about, you have to consider the environment, there is genuine horror, reasons to replay, extra modes.

It’s a GOTY package.

• @mico_moreno I'm rooting for Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, but knowing how much work Sakurai has put into Smash over the years and especially with Ultimate, I wouldn't mind that one winning either, even though it won't happen. Outer Worlds seems great too with the little I've seen of it. The only one I'd be annoyed to see win is Control given the mess that game was on base PS4 at launch and how in a nutshell it is basically just a prettied up and polished PS2 shooter. I straight up played games exactly like Control back then, flinging objects at enemies with mind powers and all! That said, 100% rooting for Dr. Casper Darling for Best Performance category, because those parts of Control are what I hadn't quite seen anything like in a game before that set it apart for me.

• @mico_moreno that is like saying "The Departed" shouldn't have won Oscars at Academy Awards. And that movie is a remake that is more retelling of it since they changed the ending and used a lot of shots that was in the original unlike RE2, that change the whole mechanic and layout that surprised everyone that played the original.

• I played Control, RE2 and Sekiro. My GOTY from these games is RE2. I just love the ''feel the kill''. All those satisfaction from bullet impacts on zombies; sounds of brain, body parts etc.'s gooey feedback.

The last time I felt this much satisfaction from 3rd person game's shooting was The Last of Us.

• Is Control really that good? I'm struggling to see it from reviews.

Cant stand Smash. RE2 is the clear winner here for me. I think KH III should be in the place of Smash or Control though.

• @sheria
    It's something that just clicks with people, same as Death Stranding or any other game.
    If anything my only complaint about Control would be the length, feels like it just ends out of left field.

Also the Ashtray Maze feels like something I want to see more of next gen.

• Btw, I just played the intro part of Fallen Order but I'am a little bit sad that it isn't in the GOTY nominees. Even it has hypothetical chance about the release date rule; I am having hard time to have faith because of the monsters in 2020. Also there are rumors that BotW2 and RE3 Remake are also coming in 2020 too...

• @dipset I loved the game and I agree it's mechanics are incredible. My only issue was that not making more changes to the B playthrough feels like a missed opportunity. I'm not trying to say "we deserve it" or anything because we got a bunch of free DLC and most of that was apparently pretty fun. I just feel like that was on the one glaring omission.

• @sheria

Control is good but not GOTY or anywhere close. It’s a solid foundation but I think there is a gameplay/story disconnect that takes you away from its best elements being “The Oldest House”.

Think about a classic like Bioshock and you remember the world so well because there are awesome scenes and gameplay scenarios in each new area. Every area in Control kinda feels the same: big wide area with a “shootout” in the middle. I think if they made better gameplay scenarios, it would be a significantly stronger game.

To me, it isn’t in contention for GOTY and I’m surprised it got the nomination in the end.

• @e_zed_eh_intern

Yeah the A and B similarities were kinda disappointing but I still think something as simple as upping the difficulty and doing a speed run is replay value in itself.

Other than The Last of Us, I can’t think of another action game “recently” that I attempted to just up the difficulty for the sheer fun of a replay where everything is essentially the same.

I think Capcom hears us though. Next Resident Evil remake or sequel will probably have an extra budget and time to make more scenarios that differ.

• @dipset Control is definitely my goty.