Half-Life: Alyx

• Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Gotta say, it looks pretty impressive! Glad to see it's not a 2-hour tech demo, this could be the "Mario 64" of VR games. Exciting stuff!

• I have a ton of faith. Valve always pushes it. I was waaaaaaay too young to appreciate Half Life when it originally released but I'll never forget trying The Orange Box in 2007 and thinking how I've never played something as unique and entirely exciting as Portal and TF2. It was just this behemoth package that felt so innovative. It was nothing like I was used to playing as a 12 year old.

I think this is their next big leap. I think they can make the crowning achievement for VR action games. They have the budget to keep trying gameplay systems until its always fun for every second of the game. I think this is gonna be a good one.

• Meh. after 15 years. this is what valve has to came up. some low budget VR game.

• This game looks beautiful. I don't know if I'll ever get into virtual reality, because I wear glasses, but this game's enticing.

• Honestly looks pretty stellar. I don't have any sort of VR setup but this really makes me want one.

• I love my VR set and I'm sure this will be somewhat good, but oh god is this an insulting way to reintroduce the franchise.

• I'm sure it'll be good for what it is, but frankly I've never seen VR as anything other than a fad. I'm hard pressed to buy $300 consoles until it has a solid library, no way I'm spending a grand for one "might be cool" title.

• @hanabi said in Half-Life: Alyx:

I'm sure it'll be good for what it is, but frankly I've never seen VR as anything other than a fad. I'm hard pressed to buy $300 consoles until it has a solid library, no way I'm spending a grand for one "might be cool" title.

Well it's certainly not being ignored. Almost every PS store update has one or two VR titles.

• @b-cell
    How is anything in that trailer low budget?

• @dmcmaster said in Half-Life: Alyx:

@b-cell
    How is anything in that trailer low budget?

The trailer might not indicate it but experience with VR titles like this is that they are rather brief and short lived. I like the look of it for what it is, but I don't think it can compare to a full fledged HL3. In that regards, I do think it's low budget for Valve.

• @sheria The game is about 13-15 hours, same as HL2.
    I don't think this looks low budget for Valve at all, considering it is by far the best looking Source game next to Titanfall 2/Apex Legends.

• I have a hard time believing the game will look as good as this trailer. I only have a PS VR and haven't experienced the newer VR headsets but I have a hard time believing this game in reality will look and play at that level. The game itself looks really great though, I also love the humor it has going on. Very much looking forward to watching a play through when it comes out.

• I can almost guarantee this budget is huge. Consider the fact that they already spent years developing it. And by development, I don’t mean full production I mean the pre-production stage where you’re getting things off the ground, seeing what’s fun, what type of game this, etc.

They’ve probably already spend a few milly just making the bones, the foundation. By the sounds of it, this phase was highly experimental. They wouldn’t invest all that time just to make it a small scale low budget once actual production rolled around.

• @el-shmiablo said in Half-Life: Alyx:

@sheria The game is about 13-15 hours, same as HL2.
    I don't think this looks low budget for Valve at all, considering it is by far the best looking Source game next to Titanfall 2/Apex Legends.

it doesnot matter if its 20 hours game. if this game donot lead to proper HL3. than its slap in the face.

imagine if id software made Doom VR only (which exist) instead of bringing Doom back by releasing 2016 reboot and now its sequel.

what valve are doing is. selling thier stupid VR by using Half life brand.

• @b-cell

This is such an asinine way of looking at it. How is it a slap in the face to get a new Half Life game? Who even said we were getting Half Life 3 ever? Who says they aren’t working on both?

Isn’t any game ever made using a brand to sell hardware?

• Ugh yeah, just lik Nintendo using Zelda brand to sell thier stupid Switch! Where's Ocarina of Time 2 Nimtendo?? Stop slapping us in the face!

• @axel
    Uhhhh Majoras Mask?

• Trailer looks pretty nice, but I'm not bothering if I can't mod it to 2D. I know the community will try. VR kits are too low res. The couple of thousand pixels are right in front of your eyes. Bring your face really close to your monitor and notice how shitty that is. The fact that a VR kit has many times the resolution of the space you're looking at on your monitor (if you did what I told you to do) still doesn't completely mitigate the problem. You can see the pixels.

• The Valve Index® VR Kit page doesn't even have any mention of HDR. Crazy considering how much these VR machines cost.

https://store.steampowered.com/sub/354231/

Someone on Reddit asked why VR kits don't support HDR. Apparently, it's because they can't get bright enough while maintaining low persistence. Lame. Lame, lame, lame.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/cg36sq/why_does_the_index_or_any_vr_headset_not_have_hdr/

• @dmcmaster Your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning ;)