Resident Evil 3 (PS4, Xbox One, PC)

• @ezekiel
    Maybe Carlos has something like a NFC ID tag, deactivates when friendlies are near by.

• I know, right? Why would a videogame about zombies and monsters do videogamey things?
    Completely absurd!

• @ezekiel

Gotta say... glowing lights and lasers is standard video game language for indicating a bomb. Not to mention beeping grenades that explode after the beeps speed up. Or glowing bombs like the plasma grenade in Halo. The only game I can think of that uses a claymore detonator instead of red laser lights is like SOCOM (a game that is trying to be realistic) and maybe Battlefield 2.

Honestly, the laser on a claymore isn't nearly as weird as red exploding barrels in like every game ever made (I'm assuming Resident Evil 3 as well).

Call of Duty
    0_1586032047906_d0d96b6f-d99c-4678-a99e-b2c400ef7061-image.png

Fallout 3
    0_1586032122121_83420103-4414-4ed0-8587-6376e2c6edb7-image.png

Hitman
    0_1586032181963_aa1ef4a1-1817-478c-a67a-03046b535ac5-image.png

• @dipset said in Resident Evil 3 (PS4, Xbox One, PC):

@ezekiel

Gotta say... glowing lights and lasers is standard video game language for indicating a bomb. Not to mention beeping grenades that explode after the beeps speed up. Or glowing bombs like the plasma grenade in Halo. The only game I can think of that uses a claymore detonator instead of red laser lights is like SOCOM (a game that is trying to be realistic) and maybe Battlefield 2.

Honestly, the laser on a claymore isn't nearly as weird as red exploding barrels in like every game ever made (I'm assuming Resident Evil 3 as well).

There, it serves the gameplay. This was a cutscene, not gameplay. You can't use claymores in RE3. All they had to do was use a focused shot on the laser-less claymore before the explosion and it would have looked cinematic instead of cartoony and gamey. Lasers don't just stop.

• In a game where a giant, leather clad monster throws cars at you, and giant bugs impregnate you through the mouth, some lasers on a claymore are the point of contention.

• @ezekiel It’s to communicate to the audience. It doesn’t matter if it’s gameplay or a cutscene. Just because you know what a claymore looks like, doesn’t mean that people in general do, but people in general do know to associate lasers with traps and trip wires. God knows there’s been enough spy movies made.

Essentially, a sacrifice is made in realism, however important that may be, in favour of making sure the audience understands that Carlos has laid a trap for Nemesis.

• That's exactly it, they used the laser in the claymore so that people intuitively associate the object as a trap. Visual language.

• Guys. You really need to learn to complain about trivial and asinine things better.

• @el-shmiablo
    Look at black cell complaining about lights in RE2

• @dmcmaster It makes me so happy that Black Cell has yet to live this down.

• @ezekiel

Idk, I kinda hear that its unrealistic but on one hand; synth and slap bass soundtrack shouldn't be loathed for being cheesy, but on the other hand, lasers are too cartoony and not serious enough...

You know Capcom can't read your mind? I think Resident Evil of past and present does a pretty good job of sticking to a consistent tone throughout the game. Even if it has dumb unrealistic stuff, it usually feels right for the game.

• The dialogue was so badly garbled by the sound effects and music towards the whole end portion of the game, I could barely understand the characters. Especially Nikolai, whose volume was way too low and sounded badly recorded. I think it just came out of the center speaker too. I don't remember other RE games having such crappy sound mixes.

Game was alright. No desire to play again.

• Just watched a bit of Damiani's playthrough. I don't have the willpower to play a typical horror game (I even bailed at RE4 very early on), but this one seems really up my alley. It's more action-y, seems way more linear, and less scary than usual. I think I'm gonna pick this up the next time I get to buy a new game.

Also, Resistance looks like a fun time, especially the mastermind stuff.

• Just finished it. Definitely a tier below Resident Evil 2, but still a lot of fun.

Liked the story, especially Jill, her lines all felt natural, she often echoed what I was thinking which is always an awesome feeling in a game. I want more of her in the future! I expected to hate Carlos but he was pretty cool too. Almost steals her thunder a bit too much at times actually.

It's a gorgeous game too, particularly the city at the beginning. Kinda feels next-gen before next-gen.

It does fall on the shorter side, and some areas feel like they end before they even get started. Can't compare to the original since I never played it, I kinda want to watch a playthrough of it now.

• @axel maybe you could try watching Ben's playthrough back at GT, someone has archived it on YouTube. It's real fun to watch.

• Just finished my last playthrough for the time being. Minimalist Standard.

This game is meant to be played on Nightmare. It's so much better than the base difficulties. And there are a lot of cool setpiece moments with their own dialogue that are omitted in the lower difficulties, I imagine because it might have been a little too difficult.

While I find RE2 remake better overall. RE3 is infinitely more replayable. Those bossfights are just so fun. It's so easy to get through the game in a couple of hours. If you want a jaunt through a Resident Evil story then it's the better choice easy.