Allies how do you keep yourself motivated?

• Having a hard time trying to stay motivated. How do you keep going on a project when you feel the audience you're trying to reach doesn't care? any tips for keeping motivated?

• Global Moderator

I'll pass along the advice that James Willems gave me about going to the gym. Make whatever you need to stay motivated on a necessity in your life. Put yourself in the mindset that necessary that you do this thing every day. You aren't motivated to breath, you just have to.

It sounds silly, but in some cases it works. I don't know, just some food for thought

• If you're working on something for an audience, I would say just make sure you love or care about what you're doing even if they don't seem interested at first. Often if you're genuinely excited about it people will see that and you'll build an audience that way

But as far as real motivation goes.. I struggle with that as well

• Honestly, I just force myself to be motivated. And if that doesn't work I just shut it down for a bit and wait for the motivation to come back. (and if it doesn't, then it just wasn't meant to be; don't remember reaching that point in my life thus far though)

• It really depends on what you're talking about. Is it your job, a side-project? For fun or for profit? Creative?

• I do everything at the last moment. It's not good, but it has mostly worked so far.

• Would be easier to give you advice if I knew more about what it is you're having trouble with.

I personally think that motivation is extremely important. If you don't care about what you're doing then you, your work and your audience will all suffer for it.
    You can't force motivation, because motivation is tied to you caring. So if you don't care about what you're doing then look for some kind of change, be it in how you approach it or the actual task/work itself. If it's your job then changing workplaces or the profession itself might be needed.

Want and care are key to motivation, because if you end up wanting to do something you care about then you don't need motivation. Motivation is for when you lack the want and care in what you're doing and you can't force yourself to either want or care about something.
    Life is worth living because you enjoy it, so if you don't enjoy doing something... why do it? That's at least how I feel.

• I think you need to be more specific.

It sounds like you are doing something creative and you are not hitting the level of success/audience you were hoping for.

Are you a new streamer? A Writer? Artist?

It would help to know to give you some better advice

• The fear of embarrassment is the best motivator out there.

https://vimeo.com/104358402

• I don't.

alt text

• I don't. Life is endless suffering.
    THOUGH. My best advice would be to find yourself a really positive IRL friend. Good support is great.

• Im not sure, honestly

• Eat more yogurt. Find a sugar pill for creativity. Look up some facts and convince yourself that it works. The placebo effect is strong.

• @SabotageTheTruth I find the fear of embarrassment more paralyzing than anything. At least for an anxious person like me.

I figure you just need to search until you find something you resonate with. It's easy to fall into something after that, even if there are challenges.