Tackle the Backlog - 12 in 12 2020

• I'm going for a different approach this year and just listing what I knock off my backlog here until I get to my 12. My list in the "completed games of the year" thread is always extensive, but just has so many replays in it so I'll do this here.

12: Muv Luv Extra
    11: Donald Duck: Quack Attack
    10:
    9:
    8:
    7:
    6:
    5:
    4:
    3:
    2:
    1:

• Through pure luck and no skill, I managed to beat Tetris Effect's journey mode. Man, I suck at Tetris.

1. Death Stranding
    2. Concrete Genie
    3. River City Girls
    4. What Remains of Edith Finch
    5. Life is Strange Before the Storm
    6. Journey
    7. Tetris Effect
    8. Dragon Quest XI
    9. Mega Man XI
    10. The Witness
    11. Hollow Knight
    12. Thumper
    13. Hotline Miami 2 Wrong Number
    14. Yakuza 0
    15. Horizon Zero Dawn - The Frozen Wilds DLC
    16. Prey - Mooncrash DLC
    17. Marvel's Spider-Man - The City That Never Sleeps DLC
    18. Ace Combat 7 - The three DLC missions
    19. Minit
    20. Celeste
    21. Gris
    22. Hard West
    23. My Friend Pedro
    24. 1979 Revolution Black Friday

• Changing my list Gravity Rush 2 is garbage, after a few hours with it I feel fine saying that and I won't keep going with it to just beat it, at least I only payed 6 bucks for it honestly glad these games bombed having played the first one and enough of 2 I think it will be better for that team to do something else as they don't seem to have an idea of what to do with this games, and at 60 hours and the 4 boss I've had enough of Persona Q 2, it is just to much too much time for too little payoff, I'm on board with the idea of having a silly crossover of the Persona games, but having a just meh game that is just worse than the first and not as interesting as Etrian Odyssey in terms of gameplay just made me lose interest, I enjoyed parts of it well enough, but for most of the time it was a bit of a grind.

So since it is still very early on, I'm changing these two for The Banner Saga 3, which I keep forgetting I have to play, and Killer 7 which has always just been in the background and I've always wanted to play it.

Additionally I beat A Hat in Time, very fun game and definitively something I want to see more of and without a doubt my favorite 3D platformer I've played in recent years, a solid 8/10.

So my list ends up like this

1- Cyberpunk 2077

2-Persona 5 Royal

3- Persona 5 Strikers

4- Psychonatus 2

5- 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim

6- Sakura Wars

7- Trails of Cold Steel 4

8- The Banner Saga 3

9- Utawarerumono

10 The World Ends with You

11- Digital Devil Survivor

12- Bloodstained

13- Metro Exodus

14- Katamari Damacy

15- Dusk Diver

16- River City Girls

17- A Hat in Time 8/10

18-Trauma Team

19- Travis Strikes Again

20- AI Somnium

21- Killer 7

22- Forgotton Anne

23- Control

24- Katana Zero

Taken of the list

Gravity Rush - DNF 5/10

Persona Q2 DNF 6.5/10

• @bard91 said in Tackle the Backlog - 12 in 12 2020:

Gravity Rush 2 is garbage
    honestly glad these games bombed
    Gravity Rush - DNF 5/10

Ouch, that hurt haha.
    The GR series is some of the most fun I've had with the PS4.
    I can see people not enjoying the first title but the second one knocks it out of the park.

• Some of my favorite locations in gaming, such a vibrant and beautiful city to explore.

• A stellar unique soundtrack.

• A charming and very pretty art direction.

• An interesting story that takes a lot of risk and unexpected twists and turns.

Sad to see you didn't enjoy your time with it. But to each their own I guess ¯\(ツ)/¯.

• @thedemonpirate yeah I'm sorry to say but I just don't see it in anyway, presentation is fine even good but that is it, combat is just an uninteresting and boring as it was before, but it is the mission design that is the biggest problem, simply the laziest and most uninteresting missions I've played in a good while one after another, no creative use of its mechanics, simply nothing to show for it's cool concept, I was looking forward to it, but a few hours into it I realized I was just pushing myself through the boredom.

• Yeah, very odd to see. The Gravity Rush games are great.

• Finished the main quests of Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds, and it turned pretty great. The new enemies are really challenging, and the extra lore and story is pretty neat. I'm not sure whether I'll do all the side stuff. I don't have the luxury to enjoy my plates to the fullest this year. I'll keep it on hold though.

1. Death Stranding
    2. Concrete Genie
    3. River City Girls
    6. Journey
    7. Tetris Effect
    8. Dragon Quest XI
    9. Mega Man XI
    10. The Witness
    11. Hollow Knight
    12. Thumper
    14. Yakuza 0
    16. Prey - Mooncrash DLC
    19. Minit
    20. Celeste
    21. Gris
    22. Hard West
    23. My Friend Pedro

• Still left from last year:
    Dragon Quest VII
    Persona 4
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    Shenmue II
    Devil May Cry 3
    Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
    Shadowrun (SNES)
    Ultima VII
    Luigi's Mansion 2
    Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

12 new ones:
    Yakuza Kiwami
    Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
    Nioh
    Devil May Cry 4
    Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic
    Halo 4
    Gradius Advance
    Metal Slug Advance
    Castlevania Chronicles
    MediEvil
    Rhythm Tengoku
    Icewind Dale

Finished Devil May Cry 3. It's a game that sure lives up to its legacy. Amazing game.

• My second one now down, Donald Duck Quack Attack on the N64. I've owned it for a good 18 years I think, but only ever played about 15 minutes of it before. It was a bit of a poor mans Crash Bandicoot to be honest, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit, even if it was a bit too easy.

Dragon Quest VII
    Persona 4
    Shenmue II
    Devil May Cry 3
    Shadowrun (SNES)
    Ultima VII
    Luigi's Mansion 2

12 new ones:
    Yakuza Kiwami
    Nioh
    Devil May Cry 4
    Halo 4
    Gradius Advance
    Metal Slug Advance
    Castlevania Chronicles
    MediEvil
    Rhythm Tengoku
    Icewind Dale

Finished Castlevania: Chronicles. It was the only classic style Castlevania game that I still had not played.
    It's a pretty good game, not the best in the series by any means but I had fun the whole way through.
    Now there are sadly no more classic style Castlevania games for me to play =(

• Backlog update: I've finished 3/12 games from my list so I'm quite happy with that.

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
    Didn't age well. The controls, particularly the camera, are very unrefined and downright frustrating at times.

The goofiness of the writing didn't strike a chord with me, but the story never got in the way for long anyway so I didn't mind it.

The level design isn't bad, there's a few interesting sections/puzzles, but every good idea is dragged down by the controls or camera angles.

I just find it very hard to enjoy a game like that after playing any 3D Mario game really.

Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
    That was a weird one! I really enjoyed the world, as well as the plot which I found quite original, at least in its first half. Then it... certainly goes places. A bit too wild for my taste at times but I always remained engaged, and surprisingly invested in the Squall-Rinoa romance. And I loooved all the Laguna sections, I'd play a full game with those 3.

The combat system tries interesting things too but ultimately fails to ever feel truly tactical. It mostly boils down to drawing 100 of every new magic you find (thank god for the x3 speed), junctioning it to the best stat, and then spamming attack in combat. If you do that, you'll get through 90% of the fights without a sweat. It feels both too easy to abuse and too hard if you don't.

I probably spent 25% of my playthrough playing Triple Triad and I regret nothing! That tune will forever be engraved into my mind.

Cool anecdote: the final boss fight couldn't have been more epic (no story spoiler but "gameplay" spoiler).

My setup was to max out Squall, Rinoa and Zell, and give almost nothing to the others. Because the boss picks your team at random, I started with Rinoa, Zell and Quistis, who promptly died, was replaced by Irvine, who spammed all the special ammo he could to beat the second form before dying too. Selphie helped a bit against the third form, eventually died too. So Squall showed up last and it was such a Dragon Ball Z moment, like Goku finally joining the fight after all his friends got taken out. Then I messed up, Zell died and I assumed because I was on my final 3 characters he wouldn't be zapped away, so I didn't revive him immediately and was left with only Squall and Rinoa for the entirety of the final form. The two main characters, the power couple, it was so suitably romantic! I struggled so much, got very close to being wiped many times, but eventually triumphed with one last ditch attack from Squall. Couldn't have written it better!

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
    Pleasantly surprised! I'd never played any Mario RPG, or Paper Mario, and I found it very entertaining.

The combat system is a lot trickier than I expected, you really have to learn the attack patterns of all the enemies. I assumed the attack and defense bonus would be minimal but I doubt you can finish the game without learning to dodge efficiently. The final boss was brutal, it took me a few attempts and I raged quite a bit.

The story and writing are genuinely funny, especially since it's so rare for Mario and friends to poke fun at themselves. It's fun to see so many cameos from more obscure characters. The sprites and animations are excellent too, very expressive and lively.

The world and puzzles are pretty imaginative, it doesn't feel like a cheap RPG at all (shame on me for assuming that I guess).

If a new one comes out on Switch, I'll probably get it.

• I thought of posting my progress with my list so far

Finished So Far:

The Banner Saga 3 8.5/10

First thing I'll say is that I'm very glad this series exists and that I played it, I think it ends up being a great experience overall, enjoyable with an interest world and an apporach to RPGs and that's no all that common, with a somber but refreshing tone, if anyone asked me if I would recommend this series, I wouldn't do so without mentioning that there will be some jank and the games may be a bit unforgiving for some, but overall they are very much worth playing, I've enjoyed all three and I'll be keeping an eye out for what Stoic Studio puts out in the future.

As for 3 itself, I enjoyed, there's no doubt of that, but I do feel I had some gripes with it, in large part the story and recurring characters, the fact that I played the previous games years ago definitvely didn't help but the narrative seems to assume more familiriaty with the characters that what I had when playing.

The games have always been cryptic and they balance it well with failuring not being too punishing, but in this case there's a test very near the ending which while cool narratively came as such as big surprise that I just don't know how a player could prepare for it, and I've heard you can get a pretty bad result for this, it wasn't the for me, but still I felt the pressure, so I see it as a cool experience that could have been some frustrating as the culmination of a trilogy.

Gameplay wise I liked it, the characters wher interesting as always and I find the game accomplishes what it set out to do very well.

Utawaretumono: Mask of Deception 8.5/10

A very slow burn with a banger of an ending, in many ways little more than a Visual Novel with a few spread battles throught 30 hours, with a battle system that is more complex and obtuse than necessary. Overall the game was a joy to play, and the way it ends makes a very compellling argument to play the sequel, but I won't do so right away.

The pace and a few months throught the story felt like they dragged on a bit, but overall it was a very enjoyable game.

A Hat in Time 8/10

Very fun game, with some highs and lows but overall really liked the game, it also did a pretty good job with the humor and tone, so all put together a great time, and the 3D platformer I've enjoyed the most in years.

Currently Playing:

Katamari Damacy Reroll

I've played a few levels of it, usually high with my roomate with just makes a fun and ridiculous experience even better.

Trauma Team Second Opinion

I like the game, but I'm stuck in a mission at about the half way point, and I mean stuck, like this mission seems impossible and from what I've read online I'm not the only one and it does require some level of luck, which is my main complaint with the game, it has also been a bit lighter on the story side that what I imagined, but that's ok, although some of the possitions the characters debate end up in a pretty shallow discussion for such big topics.

The World Ends With You

Very early stages of it, so not much to say so far.

Bloodstained

Not far into this one either, played just a bit beyond the first boss, it's what I expected and not much to complain so far.

Dusk Diver

Early into this one as well, jank is noticeable but I like what I'm seeing so far, the style is right up my alley.

Bloodborne not on the list

I'm not gonna say I'm a convert, but my god am I enjoying this game and looking forward to playing it more, it took a friend explaining some very basic mechanics that I had no idea existing, like parry and locking into enemies (I had beaten Gascoigne by this point), and now I feel pretty comfortable with the game and genuinely interested in keeping on with it.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore not on the list

I'm basically a slave to Atlus, so of course I'm replaying this on the switch, very on the side but I loved this game before and I'm liking it once again.

Dreams not on the list

A week before release I had very little interest in dreams, I'm not a creative type and wasn't sure how cool it would actually be, I checked out a few videos and was sold, I feel it was a fantastic decision as I just end up checking some random creations whenever frieds come over and when I don't know what to play, and the game is already making it worth it with what is already avaialble.

Don't expect the greatest experiences in gaming, but if you are only interested in playing I'll advocate for Dreams still being tremendeous value.

My List

Finished

A Hat in Time 8/10

The Banner Saga 3 8.5/10

Utawarerumono Mask of Deception 8.5/10

Not Started

Cyberpunk 2077

Persona 5 Royal

Psychonauts 2

Persona 5 Strickers

13 Sentinels Aegis Rim

Shin Sakura Wars

Trails of Cold Steel4

Digital Devil Survivor

Metro Exodus

River City Girls

Travis Strikes Again

AI The Somnium Files

Killer 7

Forgotton Anne

Control

Katana Zero

Taken of the list

Gravity Rush 2 - DNF 5/10 (Terrible game couldn't stand more than a few missions)

Persona Q2 DNF 6.5/10 (Kinda raged quit after I saw I was hopeless against the boss from a dungeon and I knew another one was left, this was at close to 60 hours and I had enough, watched the ending on YT).

Dragon Quest VII
    Persona 4
    Shenmue II
    Devil May Cry 3
    Shadowrun (SNES)
    Ultima VII
    Luigi's Mansion 2

12 new ones:
    Yakuza Kiwami
    Nioh
    Devil May Cry 4
    Halo 4
    Gradius Advance
    Metal Slug Advance
    Castlevania Chronicles
    MediEvil
    Rhythm Tengoku
    Icewind Dale

I finished Yakuza: Kiwami. It's the first Yakuza game I've played and I loved it! Now I really want to play the rest of the series.

• Just finished Minit, as in defeating the factory boss. There's still things to find so I'll be playing a bit more. Anyway, I really enjoyed this one. I love the 60 second mechanic, and it wouldn't work at all if the world isn't well designed, which it is. The game never goes overboard with the hints, which makes progression quite satisfying, not to mention finding the hidden secrets all over the map adds to that satisfaction. It does feel too short, but I enjoyed it so much that it doesn't matter too much. Also, this would be a super fun game to speedrun. I might try learning the speedrun strats for this. (9/10)

1. Death Stranding
    2. Concrete Genie
    3. River City Girls
    6. Journey
    7. Tetris Effect
    8. Dragon Quest XI
    9. Mega Man XI
    10. The Witness
    11. Hollow Knight
    12. Thumper
    14. Yakuza 0
    16. Prey - Mooncrash DLC
    19. Minit
    20. Celeste
    21. Gris
    22. Hard West
    23. My Friend Pedro

• I have a lot of games to go through but a few on my list weren't ones I was very keen on for long. Such as Pokemon & the Yakuza spin-offs but I'm currently on Nioh 2 which is possibly going to be around hundreds of hours like the original. I generally have a backlog thanks to the likes of Animal Crossing, The Sims and city builders depending on their expansions. I still have the entire Resident Evil series to play but I'd probably get onto these first. :D

1. God of War (I've been repeatedly game over'd by dark elves a bit late in the game so... thats the story of Kratos and his boy. theyre stuck)
    2. Days Gone
    3. Yakuza Remastered Collection
    4. BREATHE Yakuza Dead Souls (revisit for Majima karaoke but I wasn't a fan of the gameplay)
    5. Dragon Quest XI
    6. Octopath Traveller
    7. Mario Odyssey
    8. Kirby (pretty much the entire series)
    9. Yoshi's Crafted World
    10. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
    11. Nioh 2
    12. Ori
    13. Ori 2
    14. Trover Saves the Universe
    15. Fist of the North Star
    16. Judgement
    17. Concrete Genie
    18. Blood & Truth
    19. Dragon Quest Builders 2
    20. Shadow Of the Colossus
    21. Sonic Forces
    22. Moss!
    23. Pokemon Sword
    24. Control

• Got Yakuza 0 down!

1. Death Stranding
    2. Concrete Genie
    3. River City Girls
    6. Journey
    7. Tetris Effect
    8. Dragon Quest XI
    9. Mega Man XI
    10. The Witness
    11. Hollow Knight
    12. Thumper
    14. Yakuza 0
    16. Prey - Mooncrash DLC
    19. Minit
    20. Celeste
    21. Gris
    22. Hard West
    23. My Friend Pedro

• I'll just dump the comment with my update that I posted on reddit.

Lots of time in the house plus my vacation plans getting scrapped due to the virus means that I've put a lot of time into games, and took down three games of my list, and another one of which I'm very proud of, and all of this just in time for the release of Persona 5 Royal, which will be my absolute priority until I finish it because I'm a slave to this franchise.

Finished This Month:

Dusk Diver 7.5/10

Dusk Diver is a janky and low budget Persona/Yakuza match up and I love it, 7.5/10 because it has enough problems that I can't go higher, but I had so much fun with it.

When I say it is a mix of those two things I think it is fairly apt comparisson, the world is free roam like Kamurocho and has some various events you can do which are never as good as Yakuzas, and it simply has a vibe that is too reminiscent of Persona, and that I think it does a good job with it.

Onto the combat I found it to be pretty entertaining, specially compared to Yakuza games where the combat is boring at best and usually tedious, this one is still kinda basic but it can make for some pretty entertainting beatdowns, I think the main complaint on this side would be the repetition and lack of enemies, but even then on that aspect I found the game to be enjoyable.

If it looks like something appealing give it a shot, it has it's fair share of shortcomings but if you can get past that them there's fun to be had with it.

Katamari Damacy Reroll 8.5/10

I mean this is just fun and the right size, great music an amusing concept that makes for a lot of laughts and just enough of it to not outstay its welcome, I enjoyed all my time with it and I don't think I have many more complaints with it.

Utawaretumono: Mask of Deception 9/10

Man this is tough to rate, but I'll just say that I loved it, I could see others taking more issue with it, and there were parts that I still don't really know if they were all that necessary, but I'm very glad I played this, and the sequel will most likely be in my list for next year's games.

The game does not compromise with the fact that it is a visual novel, and that the combat is very basic, if you can't make due with that, don't even bother, it is gonna be close to 30 hours of gameplay with +90% being just visual novel, but the characters are charming and what is happening generally always entertaining, and there's enough of a lead of what will happen next with the actual plot that it does leave you wanting to know more.

And that ending ... wow, hands down one of the best and most impacting endings in a game I've played, clearly a set up for the sequel, but it is a banger that made me glad to play through the game as it really build fantastically towards it.

Bloodborne 9.5/10 Not on the list

I genuinely thought I would never beat a souls game, which is why I didn't put it on my list, I had tried some of them but never advanced much and that including at least three attempts at Bloodborne after it was given for free with PS+, but well I beat Bloodborne and I'm extremely satisfied about it.

I didn't think it would go differently to the previous times, it started rough but for some reason I decided to push a bit further, this was in January I think, eventually I started to make some progress and finally reached the Cleric Beast, after various attempts I managed to win and said to myself, hey maybe I can actually handle this. On to Gascoine who took me an incredible amount of time and effort to beat, and I was getting tired and ready to drop the game.

In one of our Cyberpunk 2020 sessions we hold on my apartment one of the players saw the game and told me it was his favorite, and offered to give me some tips to keep at it, the main two things I took away were two of the most basic mechanics I had somehow managed to miss two bosses into the game, running and locking into enemies. If you are familiarized with the game and that sounds like playing a whole different game, well yes it certainly is, suddenly I didn't feel helpless playing and actually started making some decent progress, so much so that I plowed through pretty much the second half of the game in a week when it had taken me more than a month to beat Gascoine.

In summary I love this game, it is great and if it weren't for the story being so damn cryptic I might like it more, but what I do know is pretty cool, and I'm glad I kept with it, I'm playing the first level of new game plus and making pretty good progress so I'll just keep with it at a leisurely pace.

Currently Playing:

I'm still stuck in a mission that is honestly complete BS and it makes me so mad I haven't even tried it much, I'll get back to it but at least reading things online lets me know it is actual BS and not just me sucking or doing things wrong.

The World Ends With You

Barely touched this.

Bloodstained

I've advanced a fair bit on Bloodstained, love it, and got a bad ending already, I keep making progress and it will be my priority after I'm done with P5R.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore not on the list

Barely touched this.

Dreams

GTA SA

FIFA 17

These are just what I play while watching podcast or other videos.

My List

Finished

A Hat in Time 8/10

The Banner Saga 3 8.5/10

Dusk Diver 7.5/10

Katamari Damacy Reroll 8.5/10

Utawarerumo Mask of Deception 9/10

Bloodborne 9.5/10 (Not on the list)

Started

Persona 5 Royal (the literal minute it is available)

The World Ends With You

Bloodstained Ritual of the Night

Not Started

Cyberpunk 2077

Psychonauts 2

Persona 5 Strickers

13 Sentinels Aegis Rim

Shin Sakura Wars

Trails of Cold Steel4

Digital Devil Survivor

Metro Exodus

River City Girls

Travis Strikes Again

AI The Somnium Files

Killer 7

Forgotton Anne

Control

Katana Zero

Taken of the list

Gravity Rush 2 - DNF 5/10

Persona Q2 DNF 6.5/10

• New update: 2 more games down, I'm now at 5/12 with a fourth of the year gone (but we all know there ain't no time for backlog from now on...)

Resident Evil HD Remaster

The one thing that always stressed me out was the limited ink, meaning I could not save as often as I want. So I decided if I'm ever gonna play this game, I'll just play on Easy, screw it. I realized afterwards that I picked "Very Easy", which was clearly overkill. I finished the game with like 40 ink ribbons left, and more ammo than I could ever hope to use. So I went a bit overboard, but at least now I have the confidence to play it again on Normal!

I liked it a lot, it's close to a Metroidvania in many ways, and the progression and story are cool, although very formulaic and similar to the other games in the series (but since this one was first, it's the other games' fault really). Some very clever and engaging puzzles, also a few annoyances (that door won't open anymore, you have to go all the way around now...). I'll probably try to do a Chris playthrough someday, but it's time for Resident Evil 3 now!

Mystic Quest

Also known as Final Fantasy Adventure, this was the very first game in the Mana series, on Game Boy. And boy, for a Game Boy game, it's quite impressive. It plays similarly to Link's Awakening, but the similarities with Secret of Mana are a lot more present than I expected. Pretty much all the enemies (and bosses) are the same, the weapons handle similarly too, a lot of the lore and town names were already there.

Now, it's still an old Game Boy game, so it won't blow you away and I wouldn't play it again. It's a nice piece of history, but not a must play. And I had to use a guide because it can obscure as hell. For anyone who's played it, I only need to say "Palm trees and 8", and you'll know what I mean.

So I can't recommend it unless you love the Mana series and want to see where it all began, like me. It's not too long if you're following a guide, otherwise you could seriously get stuck for days. Now I'm ready for the Trials of Mana remake!

• @axel said in Tackle the Backlog - 12 in 12 2020:

Resident Evil HD Remaster

I tried to finish this before RE2 Remake but I couldn't stand it after a little bit. Then I proceed to RE2 and eventually RE3 in coming days.

I am holding my breath for a remake in the sense of RE2 and RE3 so that I can play and finish it.

• @scotty After playing RE2 Remake you do feel the age of the original Resident Evil. But I feel like it's still worth pushing through, that's why I played on Easy, didn't want to punish myself and just wanted to enjoy the flow, exploration and story.