Vote for the forum's GOTY 2019!

• Ladies and gentlemen, it's time for our traditional GOTY election!

Here's how it works:

You may select up to 8 games, a ranked Top 4 and up to 4 honorable mentions. They will be scored as follows:

#1: 5 points
    #2: 4 points
    #3: 3 points
    #4: 2 points
    Honorable mentions: 1 point each

Honorable mentions are optional, but try to vote for at least a Top 4.

Votes are secret!! Don't post them here and instead send me your list via the chat function / private message of the forum.

Games are eligible only if they were released in the West (US and/or Europe) for the first time in 2019, with the following caveats:

• "Straight" ports to new platforms in 2019 (such as Cuphead on Switch) are not eligible.
    • "Enhanced" ports, with some new content/features, (like Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition on Switch) are also not eligible.
    • DLCs and expansions (like Monster Hunter World: Iceborne) are not eligible.
    • Games in beta / early access (like Dreams) are not eligible.
    • Stand-alones (such as Shovel Knight: King of Cards) are eligible.
    • Full remakes (like Resident Evil 2 or Link's Awakening) are eligible.

To make sure you don't forget anything, I've compiled a non-exhaustive list of eligible games in the post below. If a game you liked is not in this list but fits the criteria, feel free to vote for it anyway!

If you're unsure whether a game is eligible or not, feel free to ask in this thread and we'll discuss it.

The votes will close somewhere around mid-January, I'll compile the results and publish them here as a countdown.

Have fun!

• Suggested list of eligible games:

January

YIIK: A Postmodern RPG, Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown, Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes, Slay the Spire, Pikuniku, Resident Evil 2, Kingdom Hearts III, Dragon Marked For Death, Sunless Skies.

February

Wargroove, Apex Legends, Etrian Odyssey Nexus, God Eater 3, Space Engineers, The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince, Tetris 99, Crackdown 3, Far Cry New Dawn, Jump Force, Metro Exodus, Anthem, Dirt Rally 2.0, The Lego Movie 2 Videogame, Trials Rising.

March

Dead or Alive 6, ToeJam & Earl: Back in the Groove, Left Alive, Devil May Cry 5, Baba Is You, One Piece: World Seeker, Tom Clancy's The Division 2, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Unravel Two, Generation Zero, MLB The Show 19, Outward, Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid, Tropico 6, Yoshi's Crafted World.

April

Anno 1800, My Time at Portia, Katana Zero, Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain, Mortal Kombat 11, Imperator: Rome, SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech, BoxBoy! + BoxGirl!, Days Gone.

May

Close to the Sun, Puyo Puyo Champions, Shakedown: Hawaii, A Plague Tale: Innocence, Rage 2, Bubsy: Paws on Fire!, Dauntless, Team Sonic Racing, Total War: Three Kingdoms, Blood & Truth, Layers of Fear 2, Void Bastards, Outer Wilds.

June

Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth, Trials of Mana, Cadence of Hyrule, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite, My Friend Pedro, Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled, Judgment, Samurai Shodown, The Sinking City, Super Mario Maker 2.

July

Stranger Things 3: The Game, Sea of Solitude, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot, Wolfenstein: Youngblood, Oxygen Not Included.

August

Age of Wonders: Planetfall, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, Rad, Remnant: From the Ashes, Oninaki, Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey, Control, Hunt: Showdown, Astral Chain, Blair Witch, The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan.

September

Children of Morta, River City Girls, Gears 5, GreedFall, Borderlands 3, Daemon X Machina, AI: The Somnium Files, Sayonara Wild Hearts, Shantae and the Seven Sirens, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Untitled Goose Game, Contra: Rogue Corps, The Surge 2, Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX, Code Vein.

October

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint, Concrete Genie, Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince, Indivisible, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair, Killer Queen Black, Disco Elysium, Little Town Hero, Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville, Ring Fit Adventure, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, MediEvil, The Outer Worlds, Afterparty, Luigi's Mansion 3.

November

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, Planet Zoo, Death Stranding, Need for Speed Heat, Romancing SaGa 3, Pokémon Sword and Shield, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Shenmue III, Sniper: Ghost Warrior Contracts.

December

Phoenix Point, Terminator: Resistance, Darksiders Genesis, MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, Shovel Knight: King of Cards, Shovel Knight: Showdown, Vampire: The Masquerade – Coteries of New York, Wattam.

• It's time for the good 'ol "How many games did I play last year that actually came out last year?" game. Here's hoping I can make it to 4 if not 8.

Edit: Turns out it was 4-6 (out of 43 games I completed last year) depending on how you count it.

• My number one pick is easy as heck. Everything else? Well, I have to think about them for a while. I didn't play that many games this year, but all of them (except for one big disappointment) are pretty neck and neck.

Shout out to Ace Combat 7! It's an amazing game that exceeds all my expectations for it. It's one heck of a comeback for the series and the genre. A lot of people probably missed this since it came out so early in the year, so I hope y'all give it a try.

• May I ask why Iceborne is not eligible when Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna The Golden Country were eligible and made it to the list last year?

• @hidz That's because Torna was a standalone game whereas you can't play Iceborne without having the base game (as far as I know).

• I can respect that. Kind of a shame since Iceborne is considered one my favorite games this year and it's not eligible.

• @hidz Yeah most awards have a separate best expansion category, but since we're only doing "game of the year" it leaves those out. Maybe the Allies will give it the recognition it deserves!

• According to my calculations I've finished around 25 2019 games, got my top 3 sorted so one left to go. Plus the 4 mentions.

• I finished 49 2019 games last year. I usually only finish around 30 new games a year. There are some games I skipped or didn't finish but I feel good about my top 8.

I'd like to suggest people check out A Plague Tale: Innocence. This is my biggest surprise of 2019. You can watch Huber's review.

Youtube Video

Also, shout out to Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition. It was one of my favorite Xbox 360 games and I'm glad It holds up.

• It's your topic but top 5+honorable 5 would be better imo. I like odd numbers and I know 10 is not that but you get the point.

• I'm kinda surprised I played enough games that I was not only able to make a full list but even had to cut a few titles. 2019 wasn't a busy year for me as far as new releases go.

• So, just so I know. What's the rule with episodic games.

• Also, is WoW Classic eligible?

• I played a lot of games in 2019 and finished only 2 (so far)

• Oh no, I'm not ready. I have 5 more games to complete, including Death Stranding (currently playing) and Disco Elysium.

• It seems I finished 10 to 12 games from 2019, depending a little how you count. And I'm currently playing Death Stranding still. I need to see how this shapes up to be in the end before I send my votes.

• I didn't play too many games this year but I'm getting though the heavy hitters and should have a grasp on my Top 4 ordering by this week.

Unfortunately, I will not have played Disco Elysium in the next few weeks so I can't vote for it but I wish I could play it on time.

• Ahhhh, I've been looking forward to this one a little moreso than the past "current" year lists because I think it'll be a little less predictable which will take the top spot AND my list is going to be completely different than most (meaning I don't expect most my games to place and those that do will be revealed early on as opposed to the end with the heavy hitters).

Can't wait for the next few weeks to go by so the countdown will begin!

• Global Moderator

Ooooh this will be a tough one! but want to join in :D