2020 in FPS, who will stand tall?

• Hello friends,

So 2020 is here and we have plenty of great to good to bad FPS coming out as usual. here we will compare and see which will remain stand tall. shall we?

Doom Eternal

alt text

So this releasing in 60 days and im very hype for it as its my ultimate game of 2020. Doom 2016 bring old school shooters back and this one seem to be natural evolution of it. bring it on id software.

Half life Alyx

alt text

Im not really excited for it but it deserve mention and as long time Half life fan. i gave up on valve to ever make proper traditional Half life game. this is VR game and its a lame gimmick but still its big game coming out in march so deserve to be mention.

Cyberpunk 2077

alt text

This game floating around in every ones anticipated list and its as much as FPS as its RPG. I absolutely impressed by its setting, its scale, its ambitiousness etc. sci fi futurstic theme is also my fav. and this remind me of my fav game of all time that is Deus Ex.

Halo Infinite

alt text

Im not very hype for this but rather looking forward to play as its first Halo game that is design for PC in mind since microsoft are not releasing console next gen but pre build PC that is xbox sx. its a soft reboot and will be most story driven Halo game rather than its MP counter part. im just tad interested. although its one of the biggest FPS so deserve a mention.

XIII Remake

alt text

Well its not a big release. I kinda like original it was good not masterpiece. same as im expecting this. they have not released any footage. just screenshots and its coming out this year so it definitely deserve a mention. it was unique comic style FPS that was fun.

System Shock remake

alt text

While System shock 3 may not release in 2020. very little chance but this will definitely coming this year. i was very excited for it but then i found its been in development hell. infact its kickstarter project and they seem to be failure. although i really want this game to be great as immersive sims are my fav genre. and System shock 2 was one of the best game ever made. this coming in 2020 so deserve to be mention.

Overwatch 2

alt text

It might be worst game in this list. too cartoony, MP only. have every single thing i hate in video games combine in one game and its MP only. but still i believe it deserve to be mention since its one of the biggest FPS release of 2020.

Crossfire SP by Remedy

alt text

Remedy working on SP campaign for crossfire that is one of the most popular MP FPS. they released short teaser show some sci fi elements as remedy usual in northlight engine. its remedy first FPS and they are great in storytelling. so looking forward to it. dont know if its releasing in 2020 but have high chance.

I may forget some but theres some big FPS releasing in 2020.

so my friend, lets compare and see which game will be on king of 2020 FPS. lets discuss.

• If Siege is anything to go by, Rainbow Six Quarantine will probably be up there in terms of Commercial success, if not Critical.

I think the gunplay of Cyberpunk 2077 is what's going to let it down as a total package, in the same way that the combat in Witcher 3 lets people down. Action is not CD Project's strong suit. It'll be a great game, one of the best in many years, but it'll be a poor FPS.

We still have no idea what Halo Infinite actually is, but I have high hopes for it. Hopefully it can revolutionise the FPS genre in the same way Combat Evolved did all those years ago.

• Doom Eternal. I would be suprised if any other thing pass that one.

• Half-Life 3. Don't know if I'll play it, though. Not interested in VR. But from prior entries it seems the most interesting of the bunch.

• I’m not biting on VR yet but I have faith that Half Life Alyx will be a system seller and a universally praised game. I think we’re looking at the bar for VR FPS with this one.

Traditional FPS:

I’m rooting for Halo Infinite but I am very very sceptical. Since Halo was dethroned, 343 Industries approach to Halo been chasing their own tail. They made Halo 4 & 5 have some Halo DNA but also injected a bunch of generic mainstream FPS traits into it as well. The final result were nothing games. Nobody remembers them or thinks of them fondly.

Whereas Overwatch took the class based FPS and spun it into something new, Titanfall sped up FPS games again and Call of Duty copies them. Other developers were trying new things while Halo was just confused in its own identity.

Now with Halo Infinite, they know something needs to change and rather than necessarily being original and innovative, going back to their roots as an arena shooter with weapon pickups would really stand out in the market in 2020. No multiplayer is like that anymore and it could create a renaissance if done well.

Add on a full Campaign mode which will likely have co-op and you’ve got the full package.

I have HOPE but not necessarily FAITH that Halo will be the best FPS in 2020.

• Witchfire looks neat, especially since they revealed the RPG elements.

Overwatch 2 is very exciting. Been dying to for a single player element to this game since it released. Flesh out dat lore, baybee.

Destiny 2 (insert expansion name here). I've been a big fan of the series since it came out, even through all the stupid bullshit and poor decisions, but now the game is better than ever and, in my opinion, one of the best FPS games out there. Gimme more!

• @el-shmiablo said in 2020 in FPS, who will stand tall?:

Witchfire looks neat, especially since they revealed the RPG elements.

Overwatch 2 is very exciting. Been dying to for a single player element to this game since it released. Flesh out dat lore, baybee.

Destiny 2 (insert expansion name here). I've been a big fan of the series since it came out, even through all the stupid bullshit and poor decisions, but now the game is better than ever and, in my opinion, one of the best FPS games out there. Gimme more!

I dont see any single player in overwatch 2. just online with story.

• @b-cell Well shit dude I guess you aren't very observant then are you?

• @el-shmiablo
    You are aware your talking to a wall right?

• I don't know about you guys but I don't care a lot about stories if I have to be online.

• I'm scared of micro transactions ruining Doom

• Potentially a great year for FPS. Doom Eternal seems like it's going to be an improvement over the fun and frantic violence of 2016. Remedy, one of my favourite developers, working on a FPS is exciting, Cyberpunk will most probably be one of the games of the gen and Halo Infinite will hopefully be a return to form while shaking a bit its formula.

• @phbz I'm a bit skeptical of Infinite.
    343 hasn't shown they can do anything with Halo other than have a titanic misunderstanding of the series and why people loved it in the first place.
    I would love to be proven wrong, as the original Bungie made Halo games are incredible and Blood Gulch will forever be in my top 5 multiplayer maps ever, but at this point I am anticipating another Halo 5 like disaster.

• @el-shmiablo said in 2020 in FPS, who will stand tall?:

@phbz I'm a bit skeptical of Infinite.
    343 hasn't shown they can do anything with Halo other than have a titanic misunderstanding of the series and why people loved it in the first place.
    I would love to be proven wrong, as the original Bungie made Halo games are incredible and Blood Gulch will forever be in my top 5 multiplayer maps ever, but at this point I am anticipating another Halo 5 like disaster.

Maybe 343 should take some time away from Master Chief. Maybe work on a ODST type game, or something completely unrelated to Halo.

• @dmcmaster I honestly think that would be for the best.
    Microsoft's plan to create development studios specifically to make games for certain franchises (343 for Halo, Coalition for Gears) seems to have backfired spectacularly.
    Let them stretch their legs with something different instead of forcing them to make games that feel developed entirely by committee.

• I got
    MICROSOFT PRESENTS MIXER KARTZ
    A kart racer featuring MS up's while also promoting thier streaming platform