The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2019!

• It's easily my game of the year. MLB The Show 19 is what's gotten me through most of the year. But I wouldn't really vote for it as a GOTY.

Disco Elysium's writing provided the atmosphere and the catalyst for the character arcs in the game, it's like reading a very twisted choose your own adventure novel, where your options include but are not limited to paths of self destructive behavior, outright insanity, unearned bravado, manipulation, apathy, self delusion, perversion, altruism, camaraderie, and loyalty. I suppose that would turn some people off. The map is pretty much the perfect size, as you run back and forth from one end to the other somewhat frequently - and while it takes a few minutes, it's generally not tedious. It's systems are relatively simple to learn, but can affect considerable changes in dialogue and ability throughout the game. Clothes give you skill perks and debuffs, so you're constantly changing your outfits, skill points can be put into improving your statistics or "internalizing" various thoughts that come up throughout the story which also can give you perks and bonuses, like unlocking levels, or giving you access to specific tiers of dialogue options. I found the psychology of the game pretty interesting, and in my - and apparently the Allies opinion, your sidekick Kim Kitsurugi is one of the most interestingly realized characters in a game I've played this year. I think the comparison to Bloodworth during the deliberations is pretty close, and that's not a character that's easy to write - or is commonly written. And yet, I know it's possible to make choices during the game to where he doesn't end the game with you or on your side of things if you so choose. I also think the ending of the game (for me) was a huge series of payoff moments, calling back and resolving earlier sidequests, and really enforcing the bond that had grown between Kitsurugi and my detective.

This isn't a perfect game, it's messy and sometimes depressing, and triumphant, and mysterious, and weird and gross. It's not the kind of game, like Sekiro or The Outer Wilds, that requires you to die and repeat and learn and improve. There is a case for that kind of thing to be more "gamelike" than Disco Elysium is.
    While there are clearly many game elements in Disco, this is the kind of game that gives you choices you may not fully comprehend the significance of, asks you to choose one and then just to live with your choices for better or worse. Sometimes the consequences are insignificant, and sometimes they are game-changing, and sometimes it's not predictable. I generally found them all to be interesting, though. And that's why it was my game of the year.

• @ffff0 said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2019!:

it need to have something to tell you where to go and what to do (your companion can easily do that and it will not be out of his character). And most certainly the game has to tell you that you are passing the point of no return.

The game actually does have a guide that tells you what you need to do in the quests you're currently in, and it does warn you when you're passing the point of no return and are about to be locked out of sidequests.

• @tokyoslim Well, then the game did poor job of communicating to the player that it has some guiding, because I didn't know that. As for the warning the player it only warns you about the second locking out. It doesn't warn you about the first (when you meet a certain character in the basement), and it took me about 2 hours to realize that I no longer can do multiple quests.

• @ffff0 That's not true. there's a warning specifically stating before that meeting when you first FIND the basement that progressing further will lock you out of sidequests.

and you went through the whole game without once looking at your journal? It's one of like four things on your hud and when something changes in it, it glows orange. Not sure how much more needs to be done. lol
    0_1580631746689_Capture.JPG

also contains the map. Kind of hard to miss. :)

• @tokyoslim Video games have certain language that we all know. When your HP reach 0, you die; you should go toward the light; fast attacks deals less damage than strong attacks - stuff like that. And it's a common practice to explicitly inform the player about going to the endgame either through a dialog or with a message pop-up. If this info was in the journal - great, but this is not where I'll be looking for it. And I wan't looking into the journal alot because I have good memory.

I'm not saying that all games should follow the same template. But they should not break something if it makes sense. Voices could easily tell me about locking content when I was going through the basement of this abandoned building, but the only warned me about upcoming confrontation.

P.S. I'm so frustrated about Disco Elysium only because I could easily love it if the game was only slightly different.

• @ffff0 said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2019!:

And it's a common practice to explicitly inform the player about going to the endgame either through a dialog

Which it did. In a conversation with Kim. Specifically and explicitly. I didn't have a save point right around there, so I had to go find an online playthrough - so the dialogue and voices present aren't EXACTLY what I had - but here is the warning:

0_1580633675185_Capture.JPG
    0_1580633684595_Capture2.JPG

@ffff0 said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2019!:

If this info was in the journal

No, the Journal was in response to your assertion that there is no in-game guidance of "what to do next". Quest logs and journals and etc. are part of that well-known "gaming language" that you talked about earlier.

I think maybe you just missed a lot of what was there.

• Definitely curious to check this out on consoles this year. Or at some point. Haven't played a game like this in ages, or in this case maybe never.

And @Brannox the console version of Return of the Obra Dinn came out in October (a year after the PC version). I bought it immediately on PS4 and found it astonishing. Check it out!

• @tokyoslim You right. I admit I wasn't reading thoughtfully every world, because there's a lot of text with complex vocabulary there and English is my second language. I guess I wasn't paying necessary attention during this critical moment. I wish it was voiced.

Well, I partly retract my arguments about progression feedback. I still think the game could communicate better its time progression (I was wrapped up in Wednesday, because I felt like there will be much more stuff to do and I don't have much time left).

I keep thinking that maybe I'm just the wrong audience for such games, but at the same time I loved Telling Lies which also doesn't guide you, has a lot of missable stuff and is time-based. Maybe lack of VO is a deal-breaker for me.

• @ffff0 I would love to have this game fully voiced. I think that would be completely insane. :)

I can see how this game would be really challenging for non-native english speakers. It's somewhat obtuse even for people who speak it fluently. And as has been noted... there are a LOT of words.

• @sentinel-beach Oh I know, and that's why I specifically referenced it. My point was until RotOD came to console, it would stay in the "maybe one day" pile. And so is Disco Elysium. Now that Obra Dinn is available on platforms I game one, it has a higher chance for me to try it, so if Disco follows the same outcome, it would be the same situation for me. Apologies if my meaning didn't come across that way.

• Disco Elysium is the #1 game from 2019 that I haven't played and am dying to try. The only thing holding me back is all of the reading. I've said in other threads, I find myself way too tired to read after work, and not to mention that I'm a slow reader so I don't see me beating this in any less that 40h which is a hell of a lot of reading for me.

But the cop story intrigues me so much.

• I haven't played Disco Elysium, but I've watched a fair amount of it, enough to know I'm incredibly impressed, and eager to play it, but I know that I wanna do it when I have a good amount of time to just put into it, so I'm leaving it for later, in any case I think this will end up being a landmark game.

• Days Gone

#12. Days Gone - 15 points

Votes

#1: 1 (BullToad)
    #2: 2 (iboshow, Kristen Rogers)
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 2 (bam541, ffff0)

Information

Release date: April 26 [US/EU]
    Developer: SIE Bend Studio
    Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
    Genre: Action-adventure, Survival horror
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• I wanted to play Days Gone but I didn't because of the performance issues. I'm hoping for a PS5 enhanced version or a PC version. Then I would definitely play it.

• Disco Elysium is my most anticipated game to come to consoles. I know I will adore it. I almost gave it an HM because of that certainty.

At some point I will pick up Days Gone. It's not a game I think I'll like for more than a couple hours, but I know my husband will adore it.

• Now I'm surprised. Day's Gone is way higher than i though it would be. I skipped out on it because of the bugs and i didn't think I'd like the gameplay tbh.

Spider-Man was also in my backlog , so I figured that would satiate the action/collection itch.

• Days Gone was a game that felt like it was too long and a lot of fluff. I felt that way in the first ten hours. The story opens up and it's really great. Sam Witwer put in a great performance as Deacon and is extremely underrated. The ending is great and sets up a sequel nicely.

• Sam Witwer is great in/as many things.

• I was very excited for Days Gone since it's reveal at Sony's E3 2016 show (The placing of it will never not be weird). Even then I felt like I was only part of a few that were interested in it. I looked forward to it all the way up to the release.

Then the reviews dropped.

The DAY before the game launched watching/listening to four different and trusted groups/people, all pan it for technical problems, length, and other factors. I decided to not get it. Since then, I've felt I made the right decision for me, but I've enjoyed seeing Bend stick with it post-launch, and this is proof positive that, while a majority of critics may dislike a game, there are many, MANY more people who are interested and wind up enjoying it.

Good on ya Days Gone.

• Days Gone is my #5 of 36.

At first I didn’t like the pacing of this game. It starts and stops, becomes interesting then boring and again and again. But after a while I realized that Days Gone isn’t a typical fictional story – it’s a slice of life. Like in real life not every moment is meaningful and not every dream will be realized, but it only makes your highs so much higher. Once I understood that everything felt into place.

As a game it also works well. There’s satisfying gameplay loop “gather resources – do your thing” and riding on the bike in the open world feels great. Enemy AI isn’t particularly smart, but since odds are stacked against you, particularly near the end, abusing its weaknesses was fun and satisfying. I played it in September and there weren’t significant technical problems besides engine’s struggles to load the assets when you travel fast. But even while it was noticeable it didn’t bother me that much.

I think that despite high marketing budget this isn’t a universally appealing game, but if its ever come on PlayStation Plus, I would recommend to check it out.