The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2019!

• DMC5 was a surprise to me, the only previous one I played was the reboot(which was pretty good)but I really loved this.
    I had fun with the story(I watched a playthrough of 3 and 4 beforehand) and loved the dork and Charm 5 had.
    If I had stopped on my first playthrough it likely would have been a honerable mention but the replay on son of sparda really sold the game to me.

with all the unlocks it really felt like the base game is almost an intro where you learn the weapons, get the unlocks and understand the basics (especially since late game they pile so many new weapons and moves on you that it can be overwhelming)

by the end I made it my goal to beat the "final" boss without using any of the gold orbs/revives etc and was a great send off for the game for me(also being the night before sekiros release. )

But ultimately this was a game that I was surprised how much I enjoyed despite its flaws(level design, V combat) and exceeded my expectations with wonderful combat one of the best final boss's and just a general level of fun and accepting it's a game (Doom 2016 gives me similar vibes) where as sekiro kinda ended up the opposite... I'll get to that later.

Edit: also excellent music and graphics

• I'm glad my GotY (Metro) actually made it to the top 10. I expected a lot of the games mentioned beforehand to have more points considering this community. I've loved the Metro video game series since playing 2033 back in the day. I do still think that the first game is my favorite in the series, but this game has added so many things that make this series even better. Love the story and characters. It's a nice mix of new and returning characters, so new players don't feel too out of the loop. Like the upgrade system, and how you can change your guns' properties on the go. It's nice that they don't flood you with crafting materials unless you want to grind for them, so I barely had ammo throughout the latter half of the game. I feel like all the other things I want to say involve spoilers, so I'll leave it at that.

Also, just recently finished Disco Elysium, and I wish I can revise my list lol. That game is amazing.

• Astral Chain

#8. Astral Chain - 28 points

Votes

#1: 3 (TheDemonPirate, Bigdude1, Danjin44)
    #2: 3 (Hanabi, GageBlackW23, kevboard)
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 1 (Ksomic Wolf)

Information

Release date: August 30 [US/EU]
    Developer: PlatinumGames
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Action-adventure, Hack and slash
    Platform(s): Nintendo Switch

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• I feel like Astral Chain has some serious pacing issues at times (main reason it's only #2 for me) but when it's good it's so, so good.

• Seeing Astral Chain this high has me feeling many things all in the span of about four seconds:

Really? It feels a bit niche.
    Didn't it sell crazy though?
    But who talked about it all that much?
    Gotta remember this is a Platinum game.
    OH. Duh. Remember this is the forums. And the Desire Index thread. Stupid dummy.

So yes, while seeing in the top is a near instant surprise over some other games, it actually isn't a shock once I took a moment to think about it. Granted, Platinum games are not my deal, so I don't play them, and for Astral Chain specifically, all I'll ever remember is Ben Moore losing all his in-game money in the pursuit of a non-existent task.

This makes me curious about how Babylon's Fall will be received whenever we hear more/it gets released. Because as it shows above: Those played Astral Chain LOVED it.

• Wow, I've had fewer of my picks show up on the list than any other. 7 left, and 6 of mine are no shows, but were the only 8 I played. I got nothing done in 2019.

• Astral Chain... The Switch has some secret GPU that only a few have access to it, this game has a gorgeous art direction and at times it made me wonder how on earth could the Switch run it. Just stunning.

The combat was a visual spectacle, had dept and it felt new, creative. Really impressed and surprised by it.

But it has too many issues. Filler sections, underdeveloped stealth, simplistic level design, camera issues, basic mission structures and too many uninteresting characters (some cool ones though).

Still a great game, with the positives overwhelming the negatives. I just wish elements outside combat and art direction were at least close in terms of quality because the world is interesting and deserved more competent hands developing it.

One of the very few games where I kept playing for a while after the credits because is at its best when combat it's the only focus.

• I couldn’t even finish Astral Chain. It starts off jaw dropping then turns to joyous with the upbeat music in the precinct.

Then the Astral void happens or whatever it’s called and the game just kept getting so boring and repetitive. I almost traded it in. This really isn’t GOTY material guys...

• @thedemonpirate said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2019!:

I'm starting to think none of the games I voted for are in this list lol

Well, forget about this :)

I evidently did not play many games this year but even if I did I think Astral Chain would have still ranked really high up.

From the first trailer of this game, I was immediately IN. Seeing Takahisa Taura's name come up got me hyped.

This game is Platinum through and through and it shows from any gameplay video.
    I was a bit hesitant with the idea of controlling two characters at once but holy shit does it feel so natural and smooth.

Combat aside, I think I like the art style/direction in this game the most though. Everything in this game looks so polished and pretty it's unbelievable.

A lot of people critique the Astral Plane parts of the game and I totally get that but it personally never really bugged me that much. The longest segments there were unfortunately placed at the beginning of the game and people got turned off from that.

One thing I do find lackluster is the story. It gets better as you go along but it is still ultimately bland.

Also, as a sucker for collectibles and extras, this game more than delivers on that front. There's so much shit to do in this game it's crazy. Side-quests, cats, hidden toilets, red matter, and so much more.

And the entire soundtrack to this game (yes, not just the police station one) is a banger.

Never thought I'd see this game rank so high with a lot of people having it as their first or second choice. Forum has good taste lol.

Anyways, I'm so happy to see this game selling so well and can't wait for the sequel (hopefully)!!

• Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

#7. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - 30 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 2 (Axel, Scotty)
    #3: 2 (Brannox, kevboard)
    #4: 5 (Shoulderguy, Inustar, DemonSwordsman, BullToad, Capnbobamous)
    HM: 6 (iboshow, paulmci27, Ksomic Wolf, Sentinel Beach, Kristen Rogers, Lotias)

Information

Release date: November 15 [US/EU]
    Developer: Respawn Entertainment
    Publisher: Electronic Arts
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• This game is incredibly rough around the edges, and I think the story is pretty weak, but despite that I couldn't put it down. The souls-like gameplay works very well, as well as the metroidvania aspects. I sincerely hope the success of it means the next game can get more time in the oven.

• While I was hoping to see Fallen Order get into the top 5, I'm just happy it makes the top 10. I can confidently say that, for me, this is the best Star Wars game since KOTOR.

I loved quite a lot, especially the level design and characters. Yes, I do have qualms with there being no fast travel system once you complete a planet's story, and yes, Cal isn't the most charismatic protagonist out there, but exploring Zeffo and the final planet, and always being accompanied by BD-1 never got old. I enjoyed many of the secrets, especially an entire area which is the best spot of the whole game (despite the fact many of the secrets were just cosmetic items or world lore).

I enjoyed the story quite a lot, and really appreciated it was something different from the Skywalker tree of everyone knowing and being connected by everyone. I also loved being able to customize my saber and learning the combat mechanics. I'm not a fan of the souls combat formula, but after playing this, I understand why it's so appealing.

My biggest problems are only really two things: 1. Spiders. #^$& Kashyyyk. 2.) Tech problems. There were times when the game would freeze as it tried to load the next part of the word, there would be an odd-clip through, or encounters wouldn't end because an enemy just wasn't there. Only once did my game hard crash, and it was during a linear story moment so I only had to replay about 15 minutes once.

Despite that, I LOVED this game, and I hope Respawn follows Sony Santa Monica and implements a new game plus, because going through fully powered up would be too tantalizing to not go through it again.

This is my sixth game placing on our Top 25, and now I'm confident I will no longer have any further games showing. Really happy I played many good to great games. Also, I find it pretty funny this is the first game in about seven spots that did not receive a GOTY vote. Goes to show how a lot of people thought it was really good though.

Speaking of said people, massive props and recognition to @iboshow, @paulmci27, @Ksomic-Wolf, @Sentinel-Beach, @Kristen-Rogers, @Lotias, @Shoulderguy, @Inustar, @DemonSwordsman, @BullToad, @Capnbobamous, @kevboard, @Axel, and @Scotty!

• Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is my #27 of 36.

I don’t like Star Wars: I think it’s pretty dumb and while new movies can be fun as visual spectacle, original trilogy lack even that and I can barely watch it. So my perspective isn’t a common one.

I approached Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order as just an action game. Combat is fun and strikes great balance between challenge and accessibility. And if it doesn’t, there are difficulty options. Level design is also great and environments look really good. Exploration is also nice, but it has one huge problem: there’s no fast travel, so opening some secrets after you’ve got necessary ability is unnecessary tedious.

As a non-fan of Star Wars I wasn’t especially attached to the story and I didn’t care about all visual updates to your gear. So the main reason to play for me was to explore new locations. Unfortunately there was one huge obstacle for me on this path – game’s music.

The music never shuts up. I traveled to some remote secluded place, nothing happening around me, let me just stand there for a second and breathe its atmosphere, please! No, - says the game, - I will drown you in music, because everyone loves Star Wars score and listen it on the loop. And it’s the same style of music no matter how different locations are! I’ve never done this before, but in Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order I’ve muted the music in the middle of the game. It was a huge improvement, but it was too late, because by that point I already saw most of game’s environments and they were ruined for me.

At least I played it via Origin Access Premiere and I also played A Plague Tale: Innocence with that subscription, so it wasn’t a waste of my money.

• Funny that Jedi Fallen Order has came out at the end of the decade because it's pretty much taken all the past 10 years popular trends and put it in one game. Jack of all trades master of none. I'm cool with that. I'd such a good time with this desipe it's obvious flaws, it's a good Stars Wars game that's all I wanted.

• I haven't played it yet, but I will eventually. Don't care about SW so no urgency really. Seems like it's an okish game.

• Stayed away from it the second I found out it was "souls like" I gave Sekiro a couple hours of my time, but I really just don't like the gameplay of FromSoft games or the things that attempt that formula. Just not my jam. Glad everyone else is liking it though! I'll stick with KOTOR, Rogue Squadron, and Star Wars Racer.

• @tokyoslim The souls comparisons is really oversold. If anything it's more like the the new Tomb Raider games than anything else. If that's not you're jam then you've made the right choice.

• @dipset its a lot better than many other games ranked believe and probably above it imo.

• It wasn't great for sure and there were really annoying technical problems. Also combat was really weak in "impact" department.

But the story was nice and I really liked some moments.

I already wrote my thoughts about it in detail at another topic. Only thing left to say is: I won't tolerate the problems I have if they will be in the sequel too.

Also, I didn't play many 2019 games unfortunately. That's why it's my 2nd.