The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2019!

• Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

#7. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - 30 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 2 (Axel, Scotty)
    #3: 2 (Brannox, kevboard)
    #4: 5 (Shoulderguy, Inustar, DemonSwordsman, BullToad, Capnbobamous)
    HM: 6 (iboshow, paulmci27, Ksomic Wolf, Sentinel Beach, Kristen Rogers, Lotias)

Information

Release date: November 15 [US/EU]
    Developer: Respawn Entertainment
    Publisher: Electronic Arts
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• This game is incredibly rough around the edges, and I think the story is pretty weak, but despite that I couldn't put it down. The souls-like gameplay works very well, as well as the metroidvania aspects. I sincerely hope the success of it means the next game can get more time in the oven.

• While I was hoping to see Fallen Order get into the top 5, I'm just happy it makes the top 10. I can confidently say that, for me, this is the best Star Wars game since KOTOR.

I loved quite a lot, especially the level design and characters. Yes, I do have qualms with there being no fast travel system once you complete a planet's story, and yes, Cal isn't the most charismatic protagonist out there, but exploring Zeffo and the final planet, and always being accompanied by BD-1 never got old. I enjoyed many of the secrets, especially an entire area which is the best spot of the whole game (despite the fact many of the secrets were just cosmetic items or world lore).

I enjoyed the story quite a lot, and really appreciated it was something different from the Skywalker tree of everyone knowing and being connected by everyone. I also loved being able to customize my saber and learning the combat mechanics. I'm not a fan of the souls combat formula, but after playing this, I understand why it's so appealing.

My biggest problems are only really two things: 1. Spiders. #^$& Kashyyyk. 2.) Tech problems. There were times when the game would freeze as it tried to load the next part of the word, there would be an odd-clip through, or encounters wouldn't end because an enemy just wasn't there. Only once did my game hard crash, and it was during a linear story moment so I only had to replay about 15 minutes once.

Despite that, I LOVED this game, and I hope Respawn follows Sony Santa Monica and implements a new game plus, because going through fully powered up would be too tantalizing to not go through it again.

This is my sixth game placing on our Top 25, and now I'm confident I will no longer have any further games showing. Really happy I played many good to great games. Also, I find it pretty funny this is the first game in about seven spots that did not receive a GOTY vote. Goes to show how a lot of people thought it was really good though.

Speaking of said people, massive props and recognition to @iboshow, @paulmci27, @Ksomic-Wolf, @Sentinel-Beach, @Kristen-Rogers, @Lotias, @Shoulderguy, @Inustar, @DemonSwordsman, @BullToad, @Capnbobamous, @kevboard, @Axel, and @Scotty!

• Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is my #27 of 36.

I don’t like Star Wars: I think it’s pretty dumb and while new movies can be fun as visual spectacle, original trilogy lack even that and I can barely watch it. So my perspective isn’t a common one.

I approached Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order as just an action game. Combat is fun and strikes great balance between challenge and accessibility. And if it doesn’t, there are difficulty options. Level design is also great and environments look really good. Exploration is also nice, but it has one huge problem: there’s no fast travel, so opening some secrets after you’ve got necessary ability is unnecessary tedious.

As a non-fan of Star Wars I wasn’t especially attached to the story and I didn’t care about all visual updates to your gear. So the main reason to play for me was to explore new locations. Unfortunately there was one huge obstacle for me on this path – game’s music.

The music never shuts up. I traveled to some remote secluded place, nothing happening around me, let me just stand there for a second and breathe its atmosphere, please! No, - says the game, - I will drown you in music, because everyone loves Star Wars score and listen it on the loop. And it’s the same style of music no matter how different locations are! I’ve never done this before, but in Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order I’ve muted the music in the middle of the game. It was a huge improvement, but it was too late, because by that point I already saw most of game’s environments and they were ruined for me.

At least I played it via Origin Access Premiere and I also played A Plague Tale: Innocence with that subscription, so it wasn’t a waste of my money.

• Funny that Jedi Fallen Order has came out at the end of the decade because it's pretty much taken all the past 10 years popular trends and put it in one game. Jack of all trades master of none. I'm cool with that. I'd such a good time with this desipe it's obvious flaws, it's a good Stars Wars game that's all I wanted.

• I haven't played it yet, but I will eventually. Don't care about SW so no urgency really. Seems like it's an okish game.

• Stayed away from it the second I found out it was "souls like" I gave Sekiro a couple hours of my time, but I really just don't like the gameplay of FromSoft games or the things that attempt that formula. Just not my jam. Glad everyone else is liking it though! I'll stick with KOTOR, Rogue Squadron, and Star Wars Racer.

• @tokyoslim The souls comparisons is really oversold. If anything it's more like the the new Tomb Raider games than anything else. If that's not you're jam then you've made the right choice.

• @dipset its a lot better than many other games ranked believe and probably above it imo.

• It wasn't great for sure and there were really annoying technical problems. Also combat was really weak in "impact" department.

But the story was nice and I really liked some moments.

I already wrote my thoughts about it in detail at another topic. Only thing left to say is: I won't tolerate the problems I have if they will be in the sequel too.

Also, I didn't play many 2019 games unfortunately. That's why it's my 2nd.

• the difference in votes between Jedi and Astral Chain are interesting, with one getting alot of top picks by fewer people, while jedi seems to be good enough to make it on peoples list but not be anyone's favourite (obviously it was also played by more people)

• Global Moderator

I just put this in my HM as I had played only a couple hours of it. I really really enjoyed what I had played even though its a little rough here and there. But due to the sheer amount, or lack there of of play time, I decided to "only" put it to HM. Now however I would probaly have put it higher.

• I'm guessing the last 7 are Death Stranding, Fire Emblem, Sekiro, Resident Evil 2, Control, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Luigi's Mansion 3, Outer World

• @iboshow I have a strong feeling that Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is among the last 7.

• Death Stranding

#6. Death Stranding - 39 points

Votes

#1: 4 (Hazz3r, DemonSwordsman, Sentinel Beach, Lotias)
    #2: 1 (tokeeffe9)
    #3: 1 (Sheria)
    #4: 3 (iboshow, Tearju Engi, Sazime)
    HM: 6 (TokyoSlim, Phbz, Ksomic Wolf, bam541, DIPSET, Kristen Rogers)

Information

Release date: November 8 [US/EU]
    Developer: Kojima Productions
    Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
    Genre: Action
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• Death Stranding is my #16 of 36.

I can’t say that I’m Kojima’s fan: I think that he creates cut-scenes like no other, but gameplay and story of his games aren’t that memorable for me. But my favorite aspect of Death Stranding is its traversal. It just feels great to plan the path on the map and then adapt on the fly when you actually reach these places. Yes, it is tedious, but it’s a very relaxing tedium. My closest comparison would be No Man’s Sky at launch where going through motions was also a great way to relax after work.

I didn’t mind that there’s no meaningful progression in this game: the motorcycle is OP and you get one early on. I even stopped looking at the stuff you unlock and I stopped carrying any traversal cargo or weapons – you can always just drive away from enemy encounters and drive around environmental obstacles. And when you forced to fight a boss, there’s always stuff lying around. It almost feels like the game wasn’t designed around the motorcycle. And the music absolutely wasn’t – 30 seconds after a new track starts playing you reach your goal and interrupt it.

Online features are the most interesting case. Certainly there were some good online components (like roads and charging stations), but most of them were absolutely useless to anyone. There were bridges over flat surfaces, speed-up signs on roads and inside bases where you can speed up as much as you want and stuff like that. And they were clearly placed there just to gather likes, because they were always on your path. It was very annoying and while I was playing the game I was wishing it was an offline game with all useful staff just appears when you unlock new region. But after the fact I decided that this was a good social experiment that showed how useless online interactions can be when they are driven by likes.

Other aspects weren’t that memorable. I had no attachments to game’s characters (even to BB) and its story. And music is better outside of the game. But as I said, I enjoyed going through motions which is why it’s my #16.

• Ever since the Konami fallout, I had been fascinated for four straight years about what Kojima would do next. I've never played a Metal Gear game, so I can't claim to be a fan of either the franchise or Kojima himself. That E3 moment at Sony's show back in 2016 still holds up, and I watched each new trailer, becoming more and more flummoxed as to just what on earth this game is.

Up until about the next to last trailer before launch was enough for me to say, "you know what, this is too weird and obtuse for me." And listening to reviews reiterated I made the right decision for me to pass on it. But Death Stranding will always be unique, both the game itself and its development, and while I didn't predict it to be as critically divisive as it turned out to be, at least plenty of people enjoyed it, and not only Kojima, but his studio, found success.

I saw a synopsis of the story, and while I am positive so much must be experienced instead of recapped, this is a game that I would need to be blindly in on from the start to appreciate. And to be honest, I have other interests I'll invest my time into.

With the final five, I'm predicting the following: Outer Worlds, Control, Fire Emblem, Sekiro, and Resident Evil 2 Remake in that order. That said, I could a shock snub of one three games: Outer Worlds, Control, and Luigi's Mansion 3.

• I only spent 5-6 hours so far, so I can't say much other than it's weirdly engaging. It just feels so much like Kojima, from the writing style to the little silly things the game proudly does, and a lot of this is what I missed when playing MGS V.

Seeing the BTs for the first time is so memorable, I'll never forget how I almost hyperventilated when I accidentally walked too fast to a BT and narrowly dodging it by holding my breath and backing up ever so slowly.

The other thing I really enjoy so far is that this game just feels so straightforwardly wholesome. The outpost guys get so excited when you finally come visit them and deliver their orders, and they message you mails later on too, which helps build the sense of your connection with them. There's also the act of liking structures made by others and making structures to help each other, of course.

Anyway, I hope to play more of this soon. I probably can't, but I really want to. I won't be surprised if I only managed to finish this by the end of this year, lol. Gonna take this game real slow.

• Such a weird game of simple things being done very, very well. I spent a lot more time playing it than I thought I would.

• I had to give DS an honourable mention because it's a daring game. I don't think it's overall better than some games I didn't vote for but it is quite unique and willing to take risks.

I hated most of its characters, it has horrible pacing problems, the music is way overdone, it has obnoxious product placement, bad writing and narrative structure. But at least the writing gets so silly that towards the end of the game it made me laugh out loud for how bad it is.

It's also a shame that the world on one hand has fantastic level design but on other very few times felt rewarding to explore.

But its emergent gameplay many times during the more than 100h delivered great, amazing moments. And online elements while underdeveloped are at times really rewarding. Good sound design and art direction.

Pretentious it's a fitting word but at times it does meets its pretentions. But ffs, someone please force Kojima to, at least once, totally give up writing to someone that's really talented on that.