The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2019!

• I ended up cancelling my pre-order when I saw the split reviews, came across the game a month later on a suprise sale in a local supermarket, went for it and HOZAAH! Now it's my GOTY for 2019. You need to play this to know if you'll love it.

• Global Moderator

I absolutely love Death Stranding. Sure I can see why its not everyones cup of tea and why it has gotten such a broad range of reviews. I just found it so rewarding to help people, plan routes and be on this cinematic experience of traveling the world. It really had that "kojima" feel over it and the characters really touched me. Can't wait to see what they will do next.

• Personally the most overrated game this generation. I was at first excited because I love the Metal Gear Solid series, but when I saw gameplay I knew immediately this was not my kind of game. But hey, I respect those who like it and found enjoyment in this game.

• I am still waiting the summer to finally play this one. I don't have high hopes but I should experience it to have a say about it.

• Easily my game of the year. I was entranced. I dreamt about the game. It was full Tetris effect. The ending is a bit too long, but other than that. Masterpiece. We’ll be talking about it for years.

• Control

#5. Control - 41 points

Votes

#1: 2 (Phbz, Sazime)
    #2: 3 (BullToad, Gurrzilla, ffff0)
    #3: 2 (bam541, Scotty)
    #4: 3 (paulmci27, kevboard, MiserablePerson)
    HM: 7 (TokyoSlim, iboshow, Shoulderguy, Inustar, DemonSwordsman, Sentinel Beach, Capnbobamous)

Information

Release date: August 27 [US/EU]
    Developer: Remedy Entertainment
    Publisher: 505 Games
    Genre: Third-person shooter, Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• Control is a case where it didn't get much attention at the time of release, and is a personal surprise to was received so well because not only did I hear pre-release coverage be somewhat ho-hum, I had a friend get to try the game pre-release himself and he told me it was rough.

Good thing those last few months were put in, because it apparently paid off.

Like I said above for Death Stranding, this one is a little too out there for me. However, it's gameplay is more appealing, so I wasn't as turned off, nor as immediately, as DS. I remember this getting announced at Sony's last... well... anything if you don't count State of Plays, and how it was one of the real mood pieces of the night.

On the whole, when people got their hands on post-launch, all I heard was mild negativity: The map is frustrating, there's no design language on where to go, certain skills/gameplay feel unneccesary, and so-on. Thankfully, it appears this is a minority, as it clearly shows here, it made a tremendous impact, and Remedy has yet another hit on their hands. With Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and now Control under the belts, I'm curious what the next IP will be, though I have a strong feeling it'll be a third person action adventure dealing with the supernatural in some sense.

• Control is my #2.

You can easily disagree, but I think that Control is the first next-gen title. The amount of destruction with realistic physics for every piece of debris is mind blowing. The visuals are stunning even without ray-tracing – there are projectors that actually project! And when you enable ray-tracing the image becomes even better. I’ve spend $1200 on a new PC to play this game and it was 100% worth it!

But even if you can’t run this game the best way possible, it’s still an amazing experience. The combat is great – a chaos of explosions, sounds and enemies pushing from all angles. It’s easy to get swallowed by this chaos, but you also have so many tools to control it. Movement feels great, shots feel impactful and abilities are a joy to use. Even if there was nothing else in Control it would be worth playing.

But there’s more! Exploration in Control is also great. Sure, the map isn’t a winner and there were times when I was running in circles trying to understand how to get somewhere, but each room in The Oldest House is so distinct and meticulously detailed, that I didn’t mind going through the same places again and again. Even when I played the game a second time it still felt new and exciting.

World building is also top tier. I love how weird and unexplainable stuff slowly becomes just another day on the job. When you read some documents in the beginning of the game it all sounds crazy, but later it all makes sense even though it really doesn’t. Trying to communicate with the duck toy sounds crazy and it is crazy, but in The Oldest House it’s a reasonable thing to do. Also many lore pieces are interconnected and sometimes you read about on object of power before you see it, which is always nice since it makes you feel like you know what you’re doing.

Such fascinating narrative is supported by a great cast. Jesse Faden is a great lead with a great balance of relevant history and lack of experience. She is perfect avatar in this strange world, but she never feels like just an avatar – you want to help her with her goals and want to unravel her own story. The rest of the characters are also distinct and interesting and some of them you can never meet.

For a long time Control was my GotY, but it ended up being my #2, because Borderlands 3 (my GotY) made me emotional like no other game in 2019. Control is fascinating and rewarding journey, but it doesn’t have an ending that sticks with you. And that’s why it got my second place.

• Next-Gen is something that can't run on the previous Generation. Compare the Witcher 2 to Witcher 3 or TLOU to Uncharted 4 or even GTA V(this game ran at sub 30fps just like Control) to RDR2. The games we are getting today are the pinnacle of Current generation which we will probably have to wait years for again.

• I wasn't sure if I was going to pick up Control right away, but after hearing enough positive feedback from the types of people that share my tastes, I sat down and played right through it in a few days. So happy I did. Can't wait for more.

• I make @ffff0 words my own.

Then for my actual words:
    Quantum Break was a deeply flawed game but it had my favourite 3rd person combat this gen. Control pushes it even further making it more varied and dynamic. Then in terms of world and story it's a game tailored to my tastes - weird, dark absurd and funny. Reminiscent of stuff like X Files and Twilight Zone with some David Lynch thrown in there.

Visually it's my favourite game ever. It mixes a clean and strong architecture with surprising "rooms" that are always gorgeous.

Really good level design, very similar to a 3d Metroid. The map it's not very clear, but that's deliberate. It's enough to give you a sense of where to go but forces the player to use visual cues in the world for orientation. And it's SO rewarding to explore!

Remedy is a very unique voice in gaming and I'm so glad to see them back.

• Control is a game that looked great from the day it was shown first, and only got cooler as I began to know more of it. And when it released, It met my high expectations.

I love being lost in the Oldest House. It's such a fascinating place in every way imaginable. The intentionally confusing layout of the places, the otherworldly vibes, and all the weird shit that is happening inside it. It's definitely one of the reasons it took so long for me to actually finish it. I had so much fun exploring every nook and cranny in the House, finding secrets, pieces of lore or other interesting things. I just wish that the map is not the useless trash that it is. I also remember being annoyed by the random enemy spawns later on in the game.

For a game made by Remedy, the combat certainly stands up to their standard. It's fast, frantic, dynamic and a sight to behold. There's multiple enemy variants that requires you to be aware of all the spaces around you, and many times you can be cornered if you're not careful. The abilities provided will not only help makes killing them easier, but also make you look cooler while doing it. Not to mention the adaptability of the Service Weapon. My favorite combo is running straight at them while softening them up with the pistol mode, then switching to shotgun or melee, and dashing away to cover. There's also these really cool effects when you hit the enemies or when they die, it's these fancy red sparks and haze that help make the combat more satisfying. I imagine the combat would feel wonderful on mouse and keyboard, but on PS4 the aiming feels a bit too stiff to my liking. I know shooters on gamepad isn't the best choice, but there's a lot of games that I have played on gamepad that feels way better than this. It doesn't help that it doesn't have extensive control settings, which is ironic (or fitting?).

Story wise, this game excels at not only building an fascinating world filled with interesting characters, but also in the way of presenting many of them. The projected videos are all fun to watch and full of personality (especially ones featuring Darling). Trench's narrations are wonderfully acted by James McCaffrey (Max Payne's actor), and they also feature this really cool loop of Trench standing around looking cool as heck while being colorfully lighted. I got a lot of chuckles from the Board's ridiculously obtuse subtitles. I also like how well the things in the lore is interconnected, like the radio show made by Federal Bureau of Control (I remember it having good reasons to exist, I forgot what that reason is exactly). The one big thing that I don't like is the ending, or lack of it.

Overall, this is a game that left me craving for more of it's ilk. I'll definitely keep an eye on the DLCs.

• Control was almost an HM from me but there was so much janky bullshit in the PS4 version that I found it inexcusable. There is a lot to like in Control but also a lot of frustrating things. All the games I voted for are all GOTY material and I don’t feel as though Control was pushing boundaries in any way.

It’s the ultimate 7/10. Fun but also kinda generic at the same time.

• @iboshow The current gen can't run ray tracing without using workarounds (like GT Sport having it, at the price of losing dynamic time of day) and, having seen games like Control and BFV running with ray tracing, and fully confident in saying that next gen is already here.

• @el-shmiablo Just for clarification, when we talk ray-tracing we're talking in real time RT not pre-rendered effects like GT uses.

• Fire Emblem: Three Houses

#4. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - 42 points

Votes

#1: 5 (Axel, Shoulderguy, Nimbat1003, Inustar, Capnbobamous)
    #2: 2 (FF7Cloud, Terence369)
    #3: 1 (Danjin44)
    #4: 2 (Gurrzilla, GageBlackW23)
    HM: 2 (Kristen Rogers, Bigdude1)

Information

Release date: July 26 [US/EU]
    Developer: Intelligent Systems
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Tactical role-playing
    Platform(s): Nintendo Switch

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• Wow! 5 #1's and in the top 5. As a fan of the Fire Emblem series. It's been nice to finally see it receive some well deserved recognition with Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Even if it did get snubbed at The Game Awards for a best game nomination. I've seen this game getting a lot of love from different outlets and Its good that new people are enjoying Fire Emblem for the first time on Switch.

Three Houses is an incredible game that I completed in 70 hours and wanted to keep playing immediately after finishing my Blue Lions play through. I finished another run with the Black Eagles last month and had just as much fun. 2018 was close between God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2 for me. This time it was Fire Emblem: Three Houses easily.

Hats off to Intelligent Systems and Nintendo. I can't wait to see where Fire Emblem goes next now that it's a triple A franchise.

• Many games that were lauded this year could have been predicted well before they came out they were going to be great: RE 2 Remake, Sekiro, Control, etc. But Fire Emblem I would argue did better than predicted (and those predictions were quite good). This was THE game of the summer, and caught fire that not many other games did. Practically everyone I know or follow played and LOVED: Three Houses.

I'm not going to belabor the same points why I didn't (and won't) play it, but this is probably the greatest Fire Emblem in a long time, if not ever, and another piece of evidence Nintendo has a STACKED, not only Switch exclusive roster, but just 1st party franchises in general.

• Fire Emblem: Three Houses is my #25 of 36.

First things first: I don’t like Nintendo as a company and I don’t like Switch as a console so a first-party Switch exclusive has an uphill battle with me. That being said, I was genuinely interested in Fire Emblem: Three Houses and was determent to be fair to this game despite its origins and platform.

Good things first. Of the small pool of Nintendo games I’ve ever bought it’s the first one I’m not regretting buying. Also it’s the first one which I wanted to play more after reaching the credits. In fact I finished all 3.5 campaigns in a row. It was mostly because swapped face buttons is a huge problem for me, and since I got more or less used to it by the end of the first playthrough, it was wise to play other campaigns while I’m there. But still, I wanted to continue, and that is totally thanks to the game’s relaxing gameplay and decent story.

Now the bad things, which are numerous (otherwise it would not by my #25). Visuals are terrible outside of combat, especially for an AAA 2019 game. Especially during dialogs, when backgrounds wraps and bends like your character is drunk. Character animations are also very rigid, limited and repetitive. I could not look at this “early PS3” image, so I just listened to the dialogs (thankfully the game is fully voiced). Characters weren’t that memorable either (maybe because I didn’t look at them). They aren’t bad, and some interactions are worth pursuing, but there are so many of them, that the story of each one becomes too sparse and short. Combat encounters are great and controls well especially for a strategy on console, but very often inputting your turn takes too much time because there are so many characters and the battlefield isn’t small. Especially when you do them again because this game forces you to replay a good chunk of it in your second and third playthrough. Oh, and running over the castle takes too much time when you do it again and again.

In summary, Fire Emblem: Three Houses is simply too big. My closest comparison is The Banner Saga trilogy and those games are better than Three Houses in almost every aspect (except for not being fully voiced). So I would recommend them over the latest Fire Emblem, especially if your gaming time is limited.

• I had never played a Fire Emblem game before Three Houses. And I ended up obsessively playing it through to the end for like three weeks. As someone who doesn't tend to finish games, that automatically makes it one of my best of the year.

Also Blue Lions are my favourite. I know everyone loved Edelgard but I thought the Lions had the best collection of people over all, and I loved the idea of this paragon of honor like Dimitri going crazy.