The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2019!
ffff0 last edited by
Here’re my top 8 2019 games:
- Borderlands 3
- The Outer Worlds
- Metro Exodus
- Days Gone
- A Plague Tale: Innocence
- Apex Legends
- The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan
The only one that didn’t make into top 25 is The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan. I really liked my first playthrough: having to react quickly knowing that every mistake can mean death or bad outcome was intense and horrifying. But further playthroughs to get all collectables weren’t that great and it’s hard to replay particular segment in the middle of your playthrough (which is fine for the 1st run, but not good for the 2nd). It’s memorable, but it’s one-and-done game.
paulmci27 last edited by
Every game on my list made the top 25. Either I've incledible taste. Or I'm a mindless drone. I'd a good time thats all that matters. Turns out 2019 was a pretty good year after all.
iboshow last edited by
Resident Evil 2
Crash Team Racing
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
Football Manager 2020
My first GOTY pick to win, feels good. I didn't think it would win by 16 points. Can't wait for RE3 and hope it has great replay value. I finished RE2 like 12 times. love me a speed run.
Hazz3r last edited by
The yearly CoD instalment would usually Grace my list somewhere. Alas, I cannot justify a purchase without a Zombies mode, as it’s where I spend the vast majority of my time in CoD nowadays. Zombies is the best thing to come out of CoD in its entirety by a country mile.
I’ve still yet to play RE2. It’s installed on my PC and I plan to get through it before RE3 releases. But it’s just absolutely wonderful. I’ve watched every Allies stream of it and thoroughly enjoyed it all.
I’m yet to play Sekiro for multiple reasons. I’m still not sure if I believe the hype. But I remain as ignorant of it as ever until I play through it for myself. So maybe I’m just yet to see what everyone sees.
DIPSET last edited by
It’s funny cause Zombies is by and large my least favourite thing about COD. They didn’t omit Zombies but that mode is only ever in Black Ops games. This isn’t reflective of gameplay quality, but Zombies really helped push Treyarch into absolute circus territory with the COD series and I really can’t stand their goofy middle schoolers warped view of ‘cool’ aesthetics that they put forward in games like Black Ops.
I found that Infinity Ward puts the budget on screen this year where everything looks and plays great whereas Black Ops just plays great.
To make an analogy, Infinity Ward COD games are Rocky 1-2. Treyarch COD games are Rocky 4. Both are good in their own right but one is clearly crazy.
Hazz3r last edited by
They didn’t omit Zombies but that mode is only ever in Black Ops games.
That’s not true. This is the first CoD without Zombies since Ghosts, and even that had the weird Alien Mode so you could argue that it’s been since Modern Warfare 3 in 2011. Infinite Ward’s last game, Infinite Warfare, was a really good Zombies mode to boot.
I’m not saying they should have included it. It doesn’t fit the theme of the rest of the game at all.
DIPSET last edited by
Touche. Turns out those are the COD games that I completely missed because I was out on the series around then. I didn't realize they started putting that mode into all the games. Makes sense because its insanely popular.
Nimbat1003 last edited by Nimbat1003
Was totally expecting the Sekiro and RE2 1-2 punch both totally derserve the love, though i don't play horror games(hence no mention from me for RE2).
Even with Sekiro as my #3 it was honestly a bit of a let down personally as a Fromsoft fan, while it was still very good the typical great world and level design i have issues with the progression and and kinda just got bored of the combat by the end, it felt very samey to me (similar to how Maximilian Dood felt) also the story was fine enough but similar to Ian Hinck i really love world lore style of story telling in the other souls-borne games. (SSI is still one of the best boss fights ever alongside DMC5's final)
ultimatly i am just much more of an RPG style guy and i want that variety and choice.(from the rumours Elden Ring "OH Elden Ring" sounds like it will be exactly my style)
My 2019 GOTY list:
4.the outer worlds
Disco elysium(didn't play but my style)
AI:the sominium files (watched a playthrough and loved would likely be my number 2 If i had played it myself)
oh and pokemon sword(love/hate)
Astral Chain- seeing the love on this list espically with DMC5 as my personal #2 will 100% play
Ace Combat 7- Honestly haven't played anything like this since HAWX which i liked but was not a great game very much in the mood for this also RIP JPEG Dog Salute
P.S. Very likely gonna give RE3 a shot i might be scared but it being more action oriented like 5(the only one i've played aside from REMAKE 1) might save me
Hidz last edited by Hidz
Big Shout out to my actual Game of the Year. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
My top 8:
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Devil May Cry 5
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Judgment, The Outer Worlds, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, A Plague Tale: Innocence
It was easy to put RE2 Remake as my number 1 as the early RE are one of my favorites in the genre.
I'd a more difficult decision between 2-4 as I love them all equally, but I decided to put DMC5 as my 2nd, it's not perfect, but Devil May Cry is finally back and it's glorious. Disco Elysium and Sekiro was my third and fourth, I don't need to add anything about Disco Elysium as everyone have mentioned it, Sekiro, it's a good game with solid combat, however, it's not my favorite FROM Software game.
I loved Judgment, but not my favorite RGG game even tho I could relate to the main plot, I've my reasons to be disappointed at it, not a fan of localizations team new direction and it's a common problem with all localization teams.
Big shout out to Days Gone, Shenmue III who didn't make my list. Also shout out to Control, I loved what I played of it, but I gave up on it. I couldn't stand the continous blinking lights, it only gave me a headache in the longrun.
Crepe last edited by
Suffice it to say, it looks like many of us need to play Fire Emblem: Three Houses. I definitely overlooked that game
Axel last edited by
This has been one of the most entertaining GOTY races to follow for me, it was a lot tighter than the final scores suggest, and multiple games held first place at some point.
- Resident Evil 2 is a solid winner, 16 points ahead of second place. But it has the fourth-lowest total for a GOTY so far with 68 points, and the third-lowest amount of #1 votes (only 7). There was clearly something for everyone this year, and less of a consensus compared to the landslide wins of God of War (124 pts) or Persona 5 (122 pts).
- Second place goes to Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, after an insane comeback! After the first 15 votes, it only had 6 points and was not even in the top 25. But it got 24 points across the last 10 votes. Just like its players, it never gave up and eventually triumphed through sheer perseverence.
- The Outer Worlds managed the unprecedented performance of placing 3rd without a single #1 vote. Nobody truly loves you, Outer Worlds, you're the potato salad of 2019!
- It was a rollercoaster ride for Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Its first 4 votes were all #1 votes, and it was in first place after 14 votes. It then slipped and slipped down the rankings, falling as low as sixth place before a final push got it close to the podium. It's the best ranking ever for a Fire Emblem game, beating Awakening's 8th place in 2013.
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (7th) is the first EA game to place in the top 10 since Dragon Age: Inquisition in 2014!
- Another notable comeback was Astral Chain, which only had 5 points after the first 27 votes, but ended up in 8th place! I'm sure there's a logical correlation between voting late and enjoying Platinum games, but I'm not clever enough to figure it out.
- The top 15 games are all singleplayer games! Not such Easy Allies after all.
- 6 games from the top 10 are from Japanese developers, what would we do without them?
- 2 Capcom games in the top 10, the GOTY itself and Devil May Cry 5. Redemption arc complete!
- 4 Switch exclusives with Fire Emblem (highest ranked exclusive), Astral Chain, Link's Awakening and Tetris 99, 2 of them in the top 10!
- Only 4 PS4 exclusives, Death Stranding, Days Gone, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III, Judgment. Only one in the top 10. After winning GOTY 3 years in a row, this was a bit of a slump for Sony.
- One Xbox One (+PC) exclusive, Gears 5. Come on Microsoft, dazzle us in the next gen!
- One PC exclusive, Disco Elysium.
- So who got massively snubbed? Pokémon Sword and Shield, Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Luigi's Mansion 3 (my personal #4 and highly recommended!) all scored 8 points, which usually is enough to make the top 25, but not this time. Let's consider them our collective honorable mentions!
- 7 points: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.
- 5 points: Slay the Spire, Shenmue III, Pathologic 2.
- 4 points: Don't Call Me Mama But Yes I Am Your Mama (that's right!), Total War: Three Kingdoms, Sayonara Wild Hearts, Katana Zero.
- 3 points: Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes, SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech, Void Bastards, Yoshi's Crafted World.
- 2 points: Forager, MLB The Show 19, Observation, Concrete Genie, Heaven's Vault, Ape Out, Super Mario Maker 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order.
- 1 point: Trials of Mana, Anthem, Untitled Goose Game, eFootball Pro Evolution Soccer 2020, Football Manager 2020, The Touryst, Baba Is You, Daemon X Machina, Hypnospace Outlaw, Omega Labyrinth Life, Creature in the Well, AI: The Somnium Files, Planet Zoo, GreedFall, The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince, Code Vein, Rage 2, Mortal Kombat 11, Dauntless, Ring Fit Adventure, The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan, Crackdown 3, Samurai Shodown, Wattam, Tom Clancy's The Division 2.
- 0 point: Far Cry New Dawn, Wolfenstein: Youngblood, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint, MediEvil...
I've played 7 out of these 25 games. The ones I still want to play: The Outer Worlds, Astral Chain, Metro Exodus, Disco Elysium, Outer Wilds, Gears 5, Judgment.
Thank you to everyone who participated, you made this super fun! And I always really appreciate the conversations each reveal triggers, it's nice to give each game its time in the spotlight. I wish I could have participated in those discussions but I've been quite busy.
Looking forward to 2020, if all the planned big blockbusters come out it should be a hell of a competition!
ffff0 last edited by
@axel Please submit results to Community Showcase or Q&A.
Axel last edited by
Yup, will do!
Brandon_Reister last edited by Brandon_Reister
Only 1 game I voted for made it to the top 25.
My list was:
#1: Slay the Spire
#2: Don't Call me Mama but yes I am your Mama
#3: SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech
HM: Anthem, Apex Legends, Dauntless, Ape Out
Only Ape out and Apex Legends were voted on by other people. The other 6 picks were unique to me.
I feel so alone.
Phbz last edited by Phbz
Congrats to RE2. I've enjoyed it, visually is not only technically impressive but also nails the mood. But I'm not a big fan of RE or the genre, so I couldn't place it higher.
Sekiro is a fknig brilliant game. Exhilarating and nerve wrecking! From the From Soft games it was the most rewarding to explore and the most precise to control. The sound design is superb, the feedback from consecutive parries is so damn rewarding.
It has a great trollish sense of humor. The moment when I was about to fight the Drunkard and his crew, sneaked to the NPC nearby to talk with him and he pulls a "Leeroy Jenkins" moment ruining my stealthy plans, made me laugh so hard. The Guardian Ape fight, also a terribly funny and trollish moment.
I think Sekiro does a better job in subverting expectations than other From Soft games. And also some boss fights against other human characters are among the best they've done so far. It's cool to fight giant demons and all, but at least for me it's psychologically more rewarding when you meet another human that matches you.
The one thing that took me some time to get over it was the lost mechanic of recovering your lost souls. The moments that rise from there in previous games, when you constantly have to make a risk assessment, and then having to recover them and sometimes taking enormous losses due to a silly mistake or over confidence, are missed here.
Unlike many others I don't think this game is lesser than Souls or Bloodborne. It's different enough but at the same time it delivered the same thrills I want from a From Soft game. And how it rates for me it depends on the day. Some days it's my least favourite, other days my top one.
My complete 2019 list:
2 Outer Wilds
4 Void Bastards
5 Outer Worlds
6 The Touryst
7 Gears 5
8 Death Stranding
9 Metro Exodus
10 Plague Tale
11 Astral Chain
12 Untilled Goose Game
13 Ace Combat
14 Resident Evil 2
15 Blasphemous (This one is a bit of a cheat since I've only played it in 2020.)
16 Mario Maker 2
17 Creature in the Well
18 Zelda Links Awakening
20 Devil May Cry 5
21 Gato Roboto
22 Totaly Accurate Battle Simulator
23 Crackdown 3
24 Ring Fit Adventure
27 Night Call
28 Baba is You
- Blair Witch
2019 was a brilliant year for me. We didn't have those games with $50m marketing campaigns shouting in our ears to play it but there was a pletora of fantastic titles. I might been forgetting a title or two but at least from the 30 2019 games I've played I enjoyed them all, except Blair Witch. Shootout to Void Bastards (my #4) for some of the most fun I had playing a game this year. Hilarious game with a cool and well executed concept, fantastic sound design and music and cool art style. Also to Creature in the Well, just a tad short from being great.
And a special mention to Dreams. While I had fun with it, I hope it gets released on PC. Interface is 70% of any creation tool and I find it atrocious to interact with. I know people have created impressive stuff, but people create impressive stuff using matchsticks too, doesn't mean it's an ideal material. But I'll give it some more hours, as I've seen they made improvements on the controls.
Edit: I forgot about Blair Witch, really didn't liked that one.
Edit 2: I also forgot Untitled Goose Game!! Had a great time with it playing with my GF.
Sentinel Beach last edited by
Cool list we made this year. Lots of unexpected turns along the way - except for the top 2, for sure.
My top 8 looked like this:
#1: Death Stranding
#3: A Plague Tale: Innocence
#4: Heaven's Vault
HM: Mortal Kombat 11
HM: The Outer Worlds
HM: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
Brannox last edited by
@axel I love these recaps so, SO much. Seeing Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion 3, Super Mario Maker 2, Untitled Goose Game, and Mortal Kombat 11 all not place is so fascinating. Thanks again for the stats! I love the stories behind how games changed places with each list submitted and enjoy geeking out about these stats.
Also, I would like to be the first to get in to say I nominate this to be moved to the Hall of Fame at the end of weekend (I'm requesting to wait a couple of days as of this this writing, so people have a couple of days to still visit this thread under the "Gaming" section and keep commenting if they so choose. I'm saying the weekend because I'm not sure if it'll stay active after that).
Crepe last edited by Crepe
The Outer Worlds managed the unprecedented performance of placing 3rd without a single #1 vote. Nobody truly loves you, Outer Worlds, you're the potato salad of 2019
How dare you! Potato salad is GOAT
Sazime last edited by
@axel Geebuz, 2019 was STACKED. That list of 4 point and lower games is full of gold.
DemonPirate last edited by
I initially did not submit a vote because I thought I don't qualify since I didn't play enough games but after reading through a list of games released this year I managed to get exactly four! Hell yeah!
#1: Astral Chain
#2: Katana Zero
#3: Sayonara Wild Hearts
#4: Pokemon Sword and Shield
Hardest deliberation was between Sayonara and Katana but I felt like Katana offered me more in the end. Even though I definitely spent more time on Sayonara for those trophies.
Anyways, new year resolution is to definitely play more games.