The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2019!
Crepe last edited by
Suffice it to say, it looks like many of us need to play Fire Emblem: Three Houses. I definitely overlooked that game
This has been one of the most entertaining GOTY races to follow for me, it was a lot tighter than the final scores suggest, and multiple games held first place at some point.
- Resident Evil 2 is a solid winner, 16 points ahead of second place. But it has the fourth-lowest total for a GOTY so far with 68 points, and the third-lowest amount of #1 votes (only 7). There was clearly something for everyone this year, and less of a consensus compared to the landslide wins of God of War (124 pts) or Persona 5 (122 pts).
- Second place goes to Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, after an insane comeback! After the first 15 votes, it only had 6 points and was not even in the top 25. But it got 24 points across the last 10 votes. Just like its players, it never gave up and eventually triumphed through sheer perseverence.
- The Outer Worlds managed the unprecedented performance of placing 3rd without a single #1 vote. Nobody truly loves you, Outer Worlds, you're the potato salad of 2019!
- It was a rollercoaster ride for Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Its first 4 votes were all #1 votes, and it was in first place after 14 votes. It then slipped and slipped down the rankings, falling as low as sixth place before a final push got it close to the podium. It's the best ranking ever for a Fire Emblem game, beating Awakening's 8th place in 2013.
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (7th) is the first EA game to place in the top 10 since Dragon Age: Inquisition in 2014!
- Another notable comeback was Astral Chain, which only had 5 points after the first 27 votes, but ended up in 8th place! I'm sure there's a logical correlation between voting late and enjoying Platinum games, but I'm not clever enough to figure it out.
- The top 15 games are all singleplayer games! Not such Easy Allies after all.
- 6 games from the top 10 are from Japanese developers, what would we do without them?
- 2 Capcom games in the top 10, the GOTY itself and Devil May Cry 5. Redemption arc complete!
- 4 Switch exclusives with Fire Emblem (highest ranked exclusive), Astral Chain, Link's Awakening and Tetris 99, 2 of them in the top 10!
- Only 4 PS4 exclusives, Death Stranding, Days Gone, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III, Judgment. Only one in the top 10. After winning GOTY 3 years in a row, this was a bit of a slump for Sony.
- One Xbox One (+PC) exclusive, Gears 5. Come on Microsoft, dazzle us in the next gen!
- One PC exclusive, Disco Elysium.
- So who got massively snubbed? Pokémon Sword and Shield, Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Luigi's Mansion 3 (my personal #4 and highly recommended!) all scored 8 points, which usually is enough to make the top 25, but not this time. Let's consider them our collective honorable mentions!
- 7 points: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.
- 5 points: Slay the Spire, Shenmue III, Pathologic 2.
- 4 points: Don't Call Me Mama But Yes I Am Your Mama (that's right!), Total War: Three Kingdoms, Sayonara Wild Hearts, Katana Zero.
- 3 points: Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes, SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech, Void Bastards, Yoshi's Crafted World.
- 2 points: Forager, MLB The Show 19, Observation, Concrete Genie, Heaven's Vault, Ape Out, Super Mario Maker 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order.
- 1 point: Trials of Mana, Anthem, Untitled Goose Game, eFootball Pro Evolution Soccer 2020, Football Manager 2020, The Touryst, Baba Is You, Daemon X Machina, Hypnospace Outlaw, Omega Labyrinth Life, Creature in the Well, AI: The Somnium Files, Planet Zoo, GreedFall, The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince, Code Vein, Rage 2, Mortal Kombat 11, Dauntless, Ring Fit Adventure, The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan, Crackdown 3, Samurai Shodown, Wattam, Tom Clancy's The Division 2.
- 0 point: Far Cry New Dawn, Wolfenstein: Youngblood, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint, MediEvil...
I've played 7 out of these 25 games. The ones I still want to play: The Outer Worlds, Astral Chain, Metro Exodus, Disco Elysium, Outer Wilds, Gears 5, Judgment.
Thank you to everyone who participated, you made this super fun! And I always really appreciate the conversations each reveal triggers, it's nice to give each game its time in the spotlight. I wish I could have participated in those discussions but I've been quite busy.
Looking forward to 2020, if all the planned big blockbusters come out it should be a hell of a competition!
@axel Please submit results to Community Showcase or Q&A.
Yup, will do!
Brandon_Reister last edited by Brandon_Reister
Only 1 game I voted for made it to the top 25.
My list was:
#1: Slay the Spire
#2: Don't Call me Mama but yes I am your Mama
#3: SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech
HM: Anthem, Apex Legends, Dauntless, Ape Out
Only Ape out and Apex Legends were voted on by other people. The other 6 picks were unique to me.
I feel so alone.
Phbz last edited by Phbz
Congrats to RE2. I've enjoyed it, visually is not only technically impressive but also nails the mood. But I'm not a big fan of RE or the genre, so I couldn't place it higher.
Sekiro is a fknig brilliant game. Exhilarating and nerve wrecking! From the From Soft games it was the most rewarding to explore and the most precise to control. The sound design is superb, the feedback from consecutive parries is so damn rewarding.
It has a great trollish sense of humor. The moment when I was about to fight the Drunkard and his crew, sneaked to the NPC nearby to talk with him and he pulls a "Leeroy Jenkins" moment ruining my stealthy plans, made me laugh so hard. The Guardian Ape fight, also a terribly funny and trollish moment.
I think Sekiro does a better job in subverting expectations than other From Soft games. And also some boss fights against other human characters are among the best they've done so far. It's cool to fight giant demons and all, but at least for me it's psychologically more rewarding when you meet another human that matches you.
The one thing that took me some time to get over it was the lost mechanic of recovering your lost souls. The moments that rise from there in previous games, when you constantly have to make a risk assessment, and then having to recover them and sometimes taking enormous losses due to a silly mistake or over confidence, are missed here.
Unlike many others I don't think this game is lesser than Souls or Bloodborne. It's different enough but at the same time it delivered the same thrills I want from a From Soft game. And how it rates for me it depends on the day. Some days it's my least favourite, other days my top one.
My complete 2019 list:
2 Outer Wilds
4 Void Bastards
5 Outer Worlds
6 The Touryst
7 Gears 5
8 Death Stranding
9 Metro Exodus
10 Plague Tale
11 Astral Chain
12 Untilled Goose Game
13 Ace Combat
14 Resident Evil 2
15 Blasphemous (This one is a bit of a cheat since I've only played it in 2020.)
16 Mario Maker 2
17 Creature in the Well
18 Zelda Links Awakening
20 Devil May Cry 5
21 Gato Roboto
22 Totaly Accurate Battle Simulator
23 Crackdown 3
24 Ring Fit Adventure
27 Night Call
28 Baba is You
- Blair Witch
2019 was a brilliant year for me. We didn't have those games with $50m marketing campaigns shouting in our ears to play it but there was a pletora of fantastic titles. I might been forgetting a title or two but at least from the 30 2019 games I've played I enjoyed them all, except Blair Witch. Shootout to Void Bastards (my #4) for some of the most fun I had playing a game this year. Hilarious game with a cool and well executed concept, fantastic sound design and music and cool art style. Also to Creature in the Well, just a tad short from being great.
And a special mention to Dreams. While I had fun with it, I hope it gets released on PC. Interface is 70% of any creation tool and I find it atrocious to interact with. I know people have created impressive stuff, but people create impressive stuff using matchsticks too, doesn't mean it's an ideal material. But I'll give it some more hours, as I've seen they made improvements on the controls.
Edit: I forgot about Blair Witch, really didn't liked that one.
Edit 2: I also forgot Untitled Goose Game!! Had a great time with it playing with my GF.
Sentinel Beach last edited by
Cool list we made this year. Lots of unexpected turns along the way - except for the top 2, for sure.
My top 8 looked like this:
#1: Death Stranding
#3: A Plague Tale: Innocence
#4: Heaven's Vault
HM: Mortal Kombat 11
HM: The Outer Worlds
HM: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
Brannox last edited by
@axel I love these recaps so, SO much. Seeing Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion 3, Super Mario Maker 2, Untitled Goose Game, and Mortal Kombat 11 all not place is so fascinating. Thanks again for the stats! I love the stories behind how games changed places with each list submitted and enjoy geeking out about these stats.
Also, I would like to be the first to get in to say I nominate this to be moved to the Hall of Fame at the end of weekend (I'm requesting to wait a couple of days as of this this writing, so people have a couple of days to still visit this thread under the "Gaming" section and keep commenting if they so choose. I'm saying the weekend because I'm not sure if it'll stay active after that).
Crepe last edited by Crepe
The Outer Worlds managed the unprecedented performance of placing 3rd without a single #1 vote. Nobody truly loves you, Outer Worlds, you're the potato salad of 2019
How dare you! Potato salad is GOAT
Sazime last edited by
@axel Geebuz, 2019 was STACKED. That list of 4 point and lower games is full of gold.
TheDemonPirate last edited by
I initially did not submit a vote because I thought I don't qualify since I didn't play enough games but after reading through a list of games released this year I managed to get exactly four! Hell yeah!
#1: Astral Chain
#2: Katana Zero
#3: Sayonara Wild Hearts
#4: Pokemon Sword and Shield
Hardest deliberation was between Sayonara and Katana but I felt like Katana offered me more in the end. Even though I definitely spent more time on Sayonara for those trophies.
Anyways, new year resolution is to definitely play more games.
To the mods: let's move this topic to the Hall of Fame.
Scotty last edited by Scotty
2-Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
4-Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
I am late to the party but I want to write something about top 2:
RE2 is a really nice game. Action, thrill, story and ''feeling the kill'' are all good. And it is the first RE game that I finished. I am looking forward to RE3 Remake.
Sekiro is good even though I hate souls games' decisions about checkpoints. I don't want to play the same thing if I already beat it, just put me in the place that I died for God's sake! Other than that, story and the bosses were interesting. I quit the game when I saw there are a lot of optional bosses and because of I'm a little obssesive about this kind of stuff; I had to kill them all but that would take so much time and also would be tiresome instead of fun. I really loved two things about this game: Combat was so satisfying, like katana's clashing, blood, killing someone etc. and mobility was nice change from those heavy DS games.
To me, 2019 was a nice year but not a great one unlike 2018. 2020 is looking even better than 2018 which is awesome!
@axel Community Showcase submission post is up now.
Nice, thanks for the reminder!
@axel I can't see your submission (it was probably deleted). Please check it, submissions are closing soon.
@ffff0 It's done now, can you check if it shows up on your side?
@axel Yes, I can see it now. Great post!
Btw, I totally forgot but this thread was talked about on the March Community Showcase, so I'm putting the link here for those who missed it: