The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2019!

• Heard of this series but I didn’t even know there was a new game in 2019. I’d like to get back into JRPG games and anything with a lot of text for that matter, but I always feel way too tired after work to enjoy reading that much.

Heard great things about this massive series but I’ll probably pass for now.

• I didn't play much of last year, but I doubt that even if I did it would have been competition for Cold Steel 3, the best in the series up there with Ao and one of my top ten games, I'm the first to admit the series is anything but approchable, but man am I glad I decided to play Cold Steel a few years ago, and took a dive into Sky last year.

• Apex Legends

#20. Apex Legends - 12 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (Lotias)
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (tokeeffe9)
    HM: 6 (Brandon_Reister, Nimbat1003, FF7Cloud, Hazz3r, kevboard, ffff0)

Information

Release date: February 4 [US/EU]
    Developer: Respawn Entertainment
    Publisher: Electronic Arts
    Genre: Battle royale, First-person shooter
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Ahhhh yes, the out-of-literal-nowhere shadow drop of the year. Respawn has truly crushed it since their inception and 2019 was their year. It's interesting to watch how Battle Royale went from PUBG to Fortnite and now this. While I prefer Respawn's other projects, it's hard to argue against their success. Kudos to them.

• Apex Legends is my #7 of 36.

I rarely play multiplayer games and when I do, I don’t play in teams, because I will be pulling everyone down. But the beauty of Apex Legends is that you have to play in teams, but you don’t need to talk to others, because you can communicate just by pointing to something and pressing a button. Basically it’s a perfect multiplayer game for those, who don’t feel comfortable playing with others.

Another great thing about Apex Legend on launch was that there were no seasons, events or any other way of constantly changing the game. I remember playing Fortnite for a week, then logging in several weeks later and hardly recognizing the game I played. With Apex Legends I could play a day or two, then complete some other game and then return to Apex Legends and doesn’t feel like all knowledge and skills I’ve got previously have no value now. Basically, Apex Legends was a perfect game for non-committed players.

Sadly, it was. Couple of month after launch Respawn followed Fortnite model and began to fix what wasn’t broken. So after a couple of matches in season 2 I stopped playing it and I don’t think I’ll ever return. Still the first couple of months were magical (I even won almost dozens of matches), so number #7 on my list is well deserved.

P.S. Great to see it got recognition here. I thought multiplayer games have no chance with our single player focused crew.

• Finally, something I actually played, lol. 2019's definitely not the most active year I had in gaming.

Anyway, I played a lot of Apex back during the month it came out and since then only played it sporadically. It's a lot of fun. The crazy ass fast paced mobility is what made it so fun for me, it just feels like there's a really high skill ceiling there (and there is, look no further than the Apex pros on twitch). There's just not enough new interesting things for me to keep playing in the long run (plus I want to play other games), which is why I eventually fell out of the game.

• Apex is great. Consumed about a month of my year in 2019. Battle Royale has never really been my thing (I’m too in love with CS to truly enjoy any other game mode) but Apex came damn close!

• Global Moderator

Apex was my second most played game this year, so I guess its only natural that its second on my list. I really enjoyed playing it with friends and just mess around. Won a few games but for some reason my connection seem to sometimes have issues with this game and give me some lovely latency.

• This post is deleted!

• I had Link’s Awakening as a honorable mention purely because it was a remake. Its still a 10/10 experience for me. It was the first time I finished Link’s Awakening and it was a magical experience.

• Apex is pretty cool and all but there is just sooooo much going on that I can’t keep up. I feel too old and confused for these BR games.

• I played Apex for all of 7-8 matches when it came out, but multiplayer shooters are my kryptonite, I just never will get into one. I'm not good at them, and I don't want to get good at them.

Still, I could appreciate everything it does from a design point of view, a lot of clever and inclusive ideas such as the ping system. If I was forced at gunpoint to play an online shooter, I'd probably pick this one, and that's the best compliment I can give it.

• Yeah had good fun with apex at launch though went hard for around 2 weeks, not much of a competitive person nowadays(2 years of LOL is enough to last a lifetime).
    so most only last so long but apex deserves the love for being a good quality free surprise that ran well.

• This list is, once again, reminded me of how many games I miss every year because I'm playing previous years' games. Love it! This hobby will never be boring!

• @dipset yeah maybe it is partly my fault because the few matches I played I just jumped in there without a real idea about what to do and with randos, but I have just feel lost in the few times I've played BRs, so I just end up losing interest.

• Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

#19. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - 12 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (bard91)
    #3: 1 (paulmci27)
    #4: 1 (FF7Cloud)
    HM: 3 (Sazime, Hidz, NeoCweeny)

Information

Release date: June 18 [US/EU]
    Developer: ArtPlay
    Publisher: 505 Games
    Genre: Metroidvania
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• Backed it, love'n it, but man to I need to put more time in.

• As a concept, Bloodstained sounded fascinating to be the spiritual successor to Castlevania, but it's never been a franchise that appealed to me. I cheer its success though, because it's proof positive Konami needs to divest its properties to people who care, because they sure don't know how to do it.

• I still want to try this game eventually. I put Bloodstained in my HM's last years GOTY but the more I played it, the more I realized that I kinda like these NES style games but I much much prefer the deeper mechanics of the PS1 style Castlevania games. I should've played this but I'm all Metroid-Vania'd out and I'll save my energy for Silksong.

• Bloodstained wasn't half-bad, but to me it's the epitome of an 8 out of 10.