The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2019!

• This post is deleted!

• I had Link’s Awakening as a honorable mention purely because it was a remake. Its still a 10/10 experience for me. It was the first time I finished Link’s Awakening and it was a magical experience.

• Apex is pretty cool and all but there is just sooooo much going on that I can’t keep up. I feel too old and confused for these BR games.

• I played Apex for all of 7-8 matches when it came out, but multiplayer shooters are my kryptonite, I just never will get into one. I'm not good at them, and I don't want to get good at them.

Still, I could appreciate everything it does from a design point of view, a lot of clever and inclusive ideas such as the ping system. If I was forced at gunpoint to play an online shooter, I'd probably pick this one, and that's the best compliment I can give it.

• Yeah had good fun with apex at launch though went hard for around 2 weeks, not much of a competitive person nowadays(2 years of LOL is enough to last a lifetime).
    so most only last so long but apex deserves the love for being a good quality free surprise that ran well.

• This list is, once again, reminded me of how many games I miss every year because I'm playing previous years' games. Love it! This hobby will never be boring!

• @dipset yeah maybe it is partly my fault because the few matches I played I just jumped in there without a real idea about what to do and with randos, but I have just feel lost in the few times I've played BRs, so I just end up losing interest.

• Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

#19. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - 12 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (bard91)
    #3: 1 (paulmci27)
    #4: 1 (FF7Cloud)
    HM: 3 (Sazime, Hidz, NeoCweeny)

Information

Release date: June 18 [US/EU]
    Developer: ArtPlay
    Publisher: 505 Games
    Genre: Metroidvania
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• Backed it, love'n it, but man to I need to put more time in.

• As a concept, Bloodstained sounded fascinating to be the spiritual successor to Castlevania, but it's never been a franchise that appealed to me. I cheer its success though, because it's proof positive Konami needs to divest its properties to people who care, because they sure don't know how to do it.

• I still want to try this game eventually. I put Bloodstained in my HM's last years GOTY but the more I played it, the more I realized that I kinda like these NES style games but I much much prefer the deeper mechanics of the PS1 style Castlevania games. I should've played this but I'm all Metroid-Vania'd out and I'll save my energy for Silksong.

• Bloodstained wasn't half-bad, but to me it's the epitome of an 8 out of 10.

• Gears 5

#18. Gears 5 - 12 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 2 (Brannox, MiserablePerson)
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 4 (Phbz, paulmci27, Hazz3r, Bigdude1)

Information

Release date: September 10 [US/EU]
    Developer: The Coalition
    Publisher: Xbox Game Studios
    Genre: Third-person shooter
    Platform(s): Xbox One, Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• Gears 5 is #9 on my list.

It was hard leaving Gears 5 off the top 8. I've always been a fan of the Gears of War series but it's mostly more of the same. Even if that same is one of the most polished and diverse campaigns of 2019.

Gears 5 has me more hyped for Gears Tactics, a mix of Xcom and Gears has great potential.

• Gears 5, for me, is the best Gears game since the first two games.

Gears 5 actually provides a wide amount of choice for how you want to play, within each mode. For single players like me, it's a MASSIVE plus I am able to play every mode alone. That includes multiplayer. Playing against bots to practice without dedicating to the campaign or playing against (or with) others was a benefit gone from Gears 4, so being able to open up all modes, including Horde and Escape, to play alone is greatly appreciated (though Horde and Escape are still anti-single player, at least you can ATTEMPT them).

Escape is a nice concept, and the more friends you have, the better. Also introducing the map editor opens a lot of opportunity to always mix up the various maps and creativity of other players.

The campaign is EASILY the strongest part. The story is great from the jump and carries itself all the way up until the climax. Sadly, there is one plot point that undos a good deal of that good will in the final hour, but that critique aside, I absolutely LOVED it. Especially Jack. Adding a new and out-of-the-box way to approach Gears is fantastic, and I applaud the Coalition with what they've done throughout the whole package of Gears 5.

Except....

Their microtransaction and customization system is a colossal waste. Having to buy a currency (Iron) that isn't earnable, and having a limited selection that's not even permanent feels like a total letdown development time went into this. THANKFULLY, the one saving grace of this system is not one time was I ever directed or made known about any of this. I had to mess around with the menus on launch night and look around to discover this, so it's so far out of the way, it's there ONLY for people who will go out of there way to spend cash on cosmetic items.

There's so much great with Gears 5, and Gears has proven itself, in this generation at least, to be the most important exclusive for Xbox. Halo included.

As I'm known to do, I want to shoutout my fellow Allies who liked the game enough to have it on their lists in some way (AND as a make-up, I'm also going to tag those who had Borderlands 3, because I COMPLETELY forgot to share my appreciation and I feel scummy because of it).

SO! High-fives to:

Gears 5: @MiserablePerson, @Phbz, @paulmci27, @Hazz3r, and @Bigdude1

Borderlands 3: @ffff0, @Inustar, and @Terence369

• I absolutely loved Gears 1 and 2 (and 3 to a lesser extent) back in the day, but haven't touched 4 and 5 mostly due to not owning an Xbox One.

I could very well get Gears 5 on PC, I have it on my wishlist, but there's nothing that screams "must-have" about it like the original trilogy did. I don't know if it's only due to the Xbox One's lesser popularity and overall lack of hype, or if the series is just stagnating.

Reading @Brannox's post almost makes me want to jump in for the campaign, yet I also feel "been there, done that" whenever I picture myself playing it. Maybe in the next big sale!

• @axel It makes me happy to know I helped increase its appeal just a little bit. The "been there, done that," universal critique I've heard I feel applies to the actual gameplay of taking cover and flanking your opponent. Yet, this game adds a couple of interesting weapons (including a new type of Lancer) and a vehicle which opens up the campaign's structure unlike any other Gears game.

But it's the story and a couple of fascinating twists that really elevate it for me. I've been a die hard Gears fan for a decade, so of course I have my bias and as such this and my above post must be taken with the appropriate salt, but I can't sing the game's praises enough.

If you DO decide to give it a try, I would recommend to get through a portion of Act II. By then, you should have experienced enough to decide whether to see it through or drop it.

• @axel You don't need to wait for sale, just get Xbox Game Pass for PC for $1.

• Gears 5 is my #10 of 36. Multiplayer wasn’t for me, but I really, really liked the campaign. Can’t say much about the story, but there were so many tiny moments when you expected something to happen and something else did. Like (and this is just one of many examples) when everything tells you that the wave of enemies is over, and then a few new enemies comes in and characters comment on it. Also driving the Skiff is my best gameplay of 2019.

So why it’s only my #10? It was fun, but not memorable for me. I mean it’s better than Gears of War 4 and much better than the rest of the franchise, but I will not play it again. Also there were a lot of bugs when I played it. Most notably, there were 1-second freezes during cut-scenes (but none during the gameplay) and I was playing on a new PC with SSD drive.

• I've tried a few Gears games in the past but could never get into them, but I decided to give this one a try on Game Pass. To my surprise I really got into the story & for me the open areas changed up the pace of the game in a way I liked even though they were largely empty it gave me a sense of being in a World. This game reminded me of Uncharted 4 more than any other I think its equally as good. One last thing the game is drop dead gorgeous to look at. Total eye candy.