Nintendo Financial Results - as of 31 December 2019
Axel last edited by
A lot of interesting sales numbers have been made available during Nintendo's latest earnings release, so as I like to do I'll try to break it down and highlight interesting tidbits.
- Switch hardware sales have now reached 52.48 million units. This means it sold 10.81 million in Q3 alone! Last year it sold 9.41 million in the same quarter.
- That's 17.74 million sold in this financial year so far. With 3 months left, Nintendo's original target of 18 million is easily within reach.
- The Switch has now overtaken the SNES. Next in line is the NES with its 61.91 million, which should be done within the year.
- Software sales are pretty insane, now at 310.65 million. That's 64.64 million sold in Q3. Thanks Pokémon!
- The best-selling game is still, and forever, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with 22.96 million, an additional 3.95 million in Q3!
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is no. 2 with 17.68 million (+1.97 million in Q3).
- Super Mario Odyssey is still third with 16.59 million, but The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is getting very close with 16.34 million. The dynamic between those two is very interesting.
- And in fifth, a new challenger: Pokémon Sword and Shield with a mind-blowing 16.06 million in a month and a half! That's already almost as much as X/Y's (16.44) or Sun/Moon's (16.18) lifetime sales!
- Entering the lifetime top 10 in 10th position: Luigi's Mansion 3 with a very impressive 5.37 million.
- Other 2019 games stats: Super Mario Maker 2 (5.04 million), The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (4.19 million), Fire Emblem: Three Houses (2.58 million), Ring Fit Adventure (2.17 million), Astral Chain (1.03 million) and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order (1.02 million). Not too shabby!
- In terms of release schedule, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4 and Breath of the Wild 2 are still merely TBA, but Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition and Bravely Default II are 2020.
GageBlackW23 last edited by
Shocking results indeed!
As posted in the news thread a lot of these software results are best ever for their franchises. The fact that MK8 between Switch and Wii U is at over 31 mln copies sold is insane.
Also when launch alligned Switch is outselling PS4 by slight margin.
Inflorescence last edited by
Mario Kart sold more this quarter than 40% of the games on this list have sold in their lifetime. Nintendo would be right fools to release a new Mario Kart before the next console launch.
bard91 last edited by
Those numbers are just insane, and all of that for a single company, it makes me think how much of fuck up the Wii U was when it is clear that they hold so many franchises with so such a large presence.
iboshow last edited by
When I saw BotW was going to release close to Horizon Zero Dawn, I was like no way it will sell more. Zelda games don't sell well, it's not Mario but after 3 years, BotW is doing Mario numbers. It hasn't turned Zelda into the big seller Mario is but it could turn the big Zelda games into System sellers that sell 20+million life time.
Yoshi last edited by
Nintendo: Doomed since 1889.