SMT Digital Devil Saga
    Persona Q
    Dragon Quest 2
    Final Fantasy 6
    Chrono Trigger
    Grandia
    Xenogears
    Suikoden 2

Check my completed games posts; none of them are on there. There were a few others I started and managed to finish in that time but overall, I'm finding that I just don't get the itch with JRPGs like I used to. I'll start and enjoy them enough to play for a while but usually not more than 10 hours in, I can't bring myself to go back to them over short dose action games.

I feel like I'm forgetting about Neverland but there's nothing I can do about it. I used to enjoy these games so much and while I don't hate them, they don't pump hormones through my blood like they used to. Does anybody else have this condition?

• Burnout really isn't as permanent as it feels in the moment. I've definitely felt similar with other genres, with music from certain artists I couldn't listen to again for years, with films I just didn't have an appetite to rewatch. As you play, watch, listen to more things and more time passes your urges change.

• I find that JRPGs, at least moreso than other genres, just require far too big a time investment these days.
    I'm in a similar boat. I've started P5, Ni no Kuni 2, and Vesperia, got to about 10 hours in, and just stopped.
    With a kid and a full time job I don't have a tremendous amount of game time, so what little I do have I dedicate to games I am super hype about, enjoy playing with my friends or smaller titles I can easily pick up and put down.

• I notice that I don't like certain types of games or genres as much as I used to before, but that's natural. It's both a consequence of our personal accumulation of experiences and our biological changes through time. I'd say that you should just swim with the tide and dedicate your time with what you enjoy at the moment.

• @el-shmiablo same boat for sure - and we've got our second on the way so I might need to replace Hitman with Hitman Go soon enough. And on top of the time investment, they are also probably the hardest to go back to after a long break because you don't remember the story, what you were grinding for, what skills you liked/wanted etc.

• I approach JRPGs the way I approach books: one at a time, dip into it at least once a week even if only for 20 minutes or so, and try to finish it unless it gets tedious (JRPGs tend to get tedious in the back third, books usually get better; I finish more books because of that).

The days of being stoked and playing JRPGs for hours on end is over. It's been over since I was 14, they're repetitive and very derivative. I guess I manage some time around checking them out, giving them a fair shake, and completing them if I like them.

• Having kids definitely changes you're ability to play long games or any at all. Between 2005-2013 I completely stopped gaming. It wasn't until they got older I was able to start again

• I absolutely adored Persona 4 and Persona 5 but it took me months and months to complete those games. I loved it while I was playing it but working 5 days a week makes me tired and all of the reading and dungeon crawling wasn't as stimulating as it should be and I just kept feeling more and more tired.

I recently bought FF7 for Switch and got suuuuuuper into it for a hot weekend, then once I had to capture a Chocobo, I realize that I don't want to do any of that bullshit.

Time and place man. Every game fits into your life in different ways and JRPGs just aren't doing it right now for you nor me. I could be projecting my personal experience onto you, but I think the personal life progression element might partly be why its tough to enjoy these types of games as much.