Last game you finished

• Oddly enough, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time. I found my copy that I got 9 years ago while looking for a different game, and decided to actually complete the thing this time around. Those games are so jolly.

• Just finished up The Witcher 2.. makes me want to go restart 3!

• Finished Transistor. I wonder how I managed to keep it in my backlog for so long. I absolutely enjoyed every minute of it (and just ruined myself by buying the official soundtrack vinyl). Not sure about how I feel about Supergiant's next game Pyre for now (based on the 20 minutes gameplay online), but I definitely keep an eye on it.

Also played Virginia. Still confused and full of mixed feelings about it.

• @Axel Yeah, we can try it at some point!

• Over the last 1-2 weeks I have beaten Bioshock 1 & 2 again and I also finished Phoenix Wright: SoJ and Asura's Wrath for the first time.

• Finished RE: Revelations again this morning. This time on PS3, I had only ever played it on the 3DS prior to that run.

• Finished Bloodborne! What a fantastic game! I'm starting up a NG+ right now haha

Think I might also go back and give Dark Souls another try until 3 comes down in price a bit

• Yestarday I beat for the second time The Last of Us, great game, there is no doubt about it. And I understood better Joel's intention this time. I also have to beat two DLCs from New Vegas: Dead Money and Lonesome Road. I did beat them when they came out but I barely remember the latter. And once I am done with these two DLCs, I am done with the main game. So Fallout: New Vegas will be my next game to be beaten.
    @Faaip Bloodborne, what a game aswell ! The setting and global mood are just outstanding, and since this a Souls game (design and gameplay wise), it makes it a must-play for everyone !

• @Faaip Bloodborne is really an amazing game! I have never finished it, but that's my own lack of skill. It just speaks to the quality of that game though that I love it as much as I do, despite never finishing it.

• @Billy Dude! That's my favorite Mario & Luigi game. When I was young I remember picking that up at Gamestop with my parents, going home, and, Huber style, shutting the drapes and turning off the lights to play it. I love the quasi-horror feels at the beginning of that game. How did you feel about the shroob saucers and twist at the end?

• Finished the game Virginia. It was weird :/

• @Browarr I beat the Last of Us for the first time fairly recently. I loved the story/writing/acting, but I was kind of annoyed with the game design. I thought they telegraphed the combat situations way too much, and that in general they were a little too frequent. I think the game would've been better (and much ballsier) if they refrained from throwing in so many combat encounters, and instead focused more on just walking around and exploring/interacting with the world (my favorite parts of the game), punctuated occasionally by the brutal violence. Think about how insane entire last act of the game would be if you had only fought humans a few times, or when you came across the infected they were rarely in groups larger than 3 or 4. That swarm near the end would've been bonkers, and the winter section would stand out for being even more crushingly brutal than it already is. I think those kinds of moments would stand out much more, while allowing the more character/world driven interactions more space to breathe. I don't blame ND for going the route that they did, nor do I even dislike the game for the way that it plays, but I do feel like it was a missed opportunity to do something incredible and unprecedented.

• @naltmank You're right. I had a blast with the game but I really cannot deny the fact that there were moments in that game where I just wanted to have more open sequences and wander around. One thing I really love about TLOU (and video games in general) are the lore tidbits left through notes and such (I don't know if you can remember this but there is a man who was living on a boat while the pandemic spread and there is a note explaining his state of mind and I really love when you have these moments and just imagine how he could have lived on his boat) and, as you said, there are too much combats in this game but I guess this was intentional since TLOU is a game about survivalism, grey morale and human relations. I guess Naughty Dog nailed it since there are triple A developers and they can't lose too much money on their products, and in this case, the good way to make sure everyone is on board is by putting action (too much as you said and I felt during my both playthrough). The game is as well linear which make exploration rough.
    But still, you got several moments of peace in the game (think of the beginning of Fall, the first part of Bill's City section) but I agree there are too short. My only redemption is Day's Gone on PS4. From what I have heard (correct me if I am wrong), Day's Gone will feature survivalism/crafting in a open world but it will be focused on a plot. This is current trend (open world + plot) so I don't have to complain about it :)

• @Browarr If that's true then my hype for that game just shot through the roof! Yeah, those were my favorite moments in the game. Just learning about other characters and their lives. That one sequence where you learn about the survivors in the sewers solely through environmental and contextual clues is absolutely masterful. Also, the giraffe scene made me tear up.

• @naltmank I will just add something to my previous post (I had it in mind but forgot to write it down). The other answer, in my humble opinion, for the linear level design is that it is more focused on the narrative and the relations between characters and it make the game even more powerful. The question is: Is the man who left the boat the one who lived in the sewers :D ?

• @Browarr That's an awesome theory! And I'm 100% cool with the linear level design of the game, especially in those sequences that we both seem to love. I can totally see how going open world would dilute everything. In fact, I think many games that are open world would be much better suited as linear games for that very same reason. I think my main gripe with the level design (not game design, which we already discussed) is that when I would enter a new area and see glass bottles/bricks everywhere, and then a shitton of cover, I'd think, "Oh, great. Another combat encounter." They were just telegraphed a lot, and what they telegraphed was already my least favorite part of the game.

• @naltmank I totally get you. Thinking of it afterwards, you're right. Most of the time, you see all these cover spots and you definitely get the feeling that you just have entered an arena. I guess the (big) part in Pittsburgh (with the Looters) is your least favorite. (it's my case tough).

• @Browarr Yerp, you guessed it haha.
    I do want to clarify real quick that I loved the game on the whole, though, especially considering what it did in the medium. While at times it is more like an interactive movie (which I'm also super okay with), you get so much more out of the story and the world because it's a video game and has a certain level of interactivity that no other art form can achieve. Even with its flaws, the game is definitely a triumph.

• @Inustar That's how I was with Dark Souls.. absolutely loved the game but couldn't finish it. I want to try it again with my BB confidence :D

@naltmank I wonder if the next TLOU game will feature some more open level design given what they did with Uncharted 4?

• @Haru17 The way they implemented a whole new palette of enemies with the Shroobs was very cool. The whole invasion aspect was well done. As for the ending, I was expecting something of that nature, but didn't predict that specifically. It was just the "this boss fight seems too easy" feeling I've come to recognize. But very cool game; glad someone else enjoys it.