Last game you finished

• Assassin's Creed Chronicles Trilogy

Bought this trio in June or July from a sale on Store, now finally finished the last of them. These had been on the back of my mind for pretty long, so I'm glad I got to play them. It's just a shame that they weren't too good.

Frustration was basically the main emotion going through all these. There were So. Many. Retries. Goddamn, I was swearing a lot at times. You had to be 100 % precise and fast and accurate on many occasions, and with just one tiny mistake it was all from the beginning of the checkpoint again. And the checkpoints were pretty annoyingly placed about 50 % of the times.

The best of the three was China, it had the best balance between the story, the difficulty and the game mechanics. India felt the most pointless, even the main character was kinda annoying. Russia had the best story with old man assassin Nikolai and that Anastasia during the Russian revolution. The visual style was also really cool in that one, but then the difficulty made things more frustrating than they needed to be.

I'm sounding really negative, and the games did make me angry quite often, but I'm still happy I played them, after everything. I'd recommend trying out China at least, if you're ever curious about these. And there is a story revolving around Ezio's box (back from AC: Embers animation) that moves forward through all three, towards modern times.

• Observer - I had been meaning to check this one out for a while and got it free on Twitch Prime. So before I started, I actually forgot that this was made by the Layer of Fear team. I never played that, heard good things but always thought it looked very much on the jump scare side.
      Anyway with observer, I was initially in to it. Cyberpunk detective style game, scanning for clues and and hacking but I really felt like this game had a lot of unnecessary confusion and filler. It's a very cool idea to hack into someone to see their last few moments but it really goes way out of it's way to show how jumbled the brain is. It didn't help that there were one or two stealth sections which just felt awful. That was my first impression of it and I wasn't sure if I'd go back. In the end I decided it wasn't too long so why not. I think this game actually has an interesting enough story but I just found myself not interested at all. I think a lot of that was down to it attempting to scare me but I was just never fully into it.
      So ya, a bit of a negative take on what is a generally liked game. I don't think it's bad, I just found it very difficult to fully enjoy.

• SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzie (Switch)

Absolutely terrible. It's okay to streamline a fighting game but what this does is throwing out everything that is fun about a fighting game. It's a mess.

Ikaruga (GC)

I've played it a few times before but now finally invested some more time into it and beat it.
    It's amazing, my second favorite Treasure games (first being Gradius V).
    Gotta give some extra credit to the soundtrack, it's awesome and makes the game more intense than it already is.

• Spider-Man

• Global Moderator

In the last week I have FINALLY finished (and platinumed) Skyrim. Only took me about 108 hours.

I also finished Zone of the Enders 2: MARS and about to platinum this as well. It was one of my favourite game back on PS2, so it felt natural that I would pick this remake up and play through it! so much fun!

• Alice: Madness Returns

This might have been a solid 5 hour game, but holy moly is it padded. Just about everything is barely competent, but the level design really kills it: floating platforms with the occasional puzzle and a whole bunch of flat areas with enemies. There are little minigames to try and break it up, but even those are repetitive and overlong. The thing is, I think it looks really good. The visual fidelity helps bring out McGee's art style, especially when it comes to the character design.

The first game isn't very good either---the gameplay is a good deal worse, but it feels both more unique and more in-line with Alice in Wonderland. The environments felt like more than a palette-swap too. Conceptually I think these games are neat, but they're a real chore to get through.

• Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (GC)

I didn't like Adventure 1 all that much but I enjoyed this one a lot more. I like all three different gameplay styles and the level design is better than most Sonic games.
    The camera is still as terrible as in the first Adventure. The story is the right amount of stupid and so is the soundtrack. The music for the Knuckles stages is amazing.
    For some this game brought me in a really good mood. It's stupid, innocent and kinda fun to play once you get pasted the camera issues.

Gradius, Super C and Contra III (NES mini and SNES mini)
    I played these games many times before and they're still great.

• Just finished up Super Castlevania IV on the SNES Classic. This was the first game in the series I've played and I can see why its so highly revered. Great controls, level design/variety, music/sound effects and a challenging difficulty that remains consistent and (mostly) fair throughout. Overall I had a great time playing and found it immensely satisfying each time I progressed through a level or beat a boss. I'll have to track down some more games from the series for sure

• Just finished Torna Golden country The story was great the Battle system is better then ever before there are some pacing isssues a solid 8/10 experience i did alot but not everything and i got 20 hours out of it

• @faaip said in Last game you finished:

Just finished up Super Castlevania IV on the SNES Classic. This was the first game in the series I've played and I can see why its so highly revered. Great controls, level design/variety, music/sound effects and a challenging difficulty that remains consistent and (mostly) fair throughout. Overall I had a great time playing and found it immensely satisfying each time I progressed through a level or beat a boss. I'll have to track down some more games from the series for sure

I'd recommend you to not skip Rondo of Blood. It's often overlooked because it has not ben available on many platforms but it is coming to the PS4 pretty soon and it is actually regarded as one of the best games in the series (and if you'd ask me, it's the best).

• @neocweeny I was actually just looking at the SoTN/Rondo collection on the Playstation Store haha. Its a packed fall, but I might need to try to squeeze that in haha

• Hollow Knight

After finding some more charms and upgrading my nail farther, a lot of the difficulty I faced in the game was reduced and I (purposely) pushed towards the worst ending the game had to offer, but I have full intention of completing the other two endings as my file is sitting close to 80% completion.

When this game released on PC, I heard a lot of buzz about how excellent it is. When it came to Switch, the hype reached a fervor, with people stating it might be one of the best Metroidvanias in existence. I thought there was no way it could live up to that incredible level of expectation but it delivered in nearly every way. There were so many moments of wonder and discovery, of storytelling through lore and world building, so many instances where I needed to pause the game to process what I had experienced.

Hollow Knight is 2018's Game of the Year... it's just a shame it was technically released last year.

• Just this moment finished Link's Awakening DX. I am really surprised how much I enjoyed this game. I don't usually enjoy portable games and I have trouble going back to games from the 8 bit era but no such issues with this game. Most dungeons were just the right amount of frustrating and getting new items was always exciting. The bosses were a bit disappointing since they were mostly just mashing but otherwise, I recommend it to anybody who's into 2D Zelda.

Also finished Persona 4 Arena story mode and what a slog!! I don't like the best of visual novels but having to repeat the same story for every character was taxing. Ultimax is next so hopefully its story is much smoother.

• I finished The Unfinished Swan. A really neat game. Short and it knew what it wanted to show and tell. I liked especially growing the vines all over the place, that was pretty magnicifent to look at. And yes, I got all the trophies, even the "Minimalist". Isn't that the true symbol of this game. Pretty challenging, even with a guide.

• I finished Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth (PS4). The good: The Digimon look good and are nicely animated. Love the character design of the human characters but wished there was some customization for the main character. Story was okayish. Presentation was lacking. Game is presented in kind of a visual novel style, or at least there are many characters talking. Problem is you are kind of a silent protagonist and that doesn’t really work for me. Looked at the trophy requirements and immediately start playing the sequel because the Platinum is way too much work.

• The Witcher 3 9.5/10

Easily one of my top 10 games of all time, despite my initial doubts and little annoyances here and there that are absolutely eclipsed quality of the game, playing through it was simply fantastic and it ended up being worth all of the hype, and I haven't even touched Blood and Wine yet so still plenty to go through.

After this, my hype levels for Cyberpunk have gone off the charts, as if they weren't high enough before.

• @bard91 I am jealous of anyone who has Blood and Wine to look forward to. Going into that for the first time was an amazing time for me. It also fixed one of my problems with the Witcher... player housing. All games are improved when I can have my own home 😊

• I finished Valkyria Chronicles 4. Easily my top 5 this year. The story is amazing and on par with the first Valkyria game and ofc amazing characters and gameplay. All I can say is, don't skip this franchise! You'll have a great time with both Valkyria 1 and 4.

• @hidz It's on my wishlist, hopefully I'll have time to get around to it before the GOTY votes!

• @hidz I'm just about finishing chapter 4, I was a bit concerned after playing the first chapters but those concerns have gone away and I'm pumped to keep going, I hope Sega considers a rerelease of 2 and 3 in some way.