Last game you finished

• Spyro the Dragon (PS4)

I can't express how happy I am with this remake. I have some mixed feel feeling toward the N. Sane Trilogy but Reignited is a lot better so far.

The controls are great, graphics are great, it gives you the option to play with the original soundtrack, the voice acting is much better (atleast in the first game) and the increased draw distance adds a lot to the game.

There are some drawbacks but they are mostly nitpicks. The frame rate is pretty bad at times, some of the new soundeffects are not as good as the original, I don't like the new design of some of the enemies, they removed all the guns and grenades from the game and it has a really bland end credits sequence (I really love the end credits in the original so this is quite a bummer).
    Also, I swear to knockback when you get hit is more severe than in the original but I could be wrong on this.

Unlike the N. Sane Trilogy, this remake doesn't have many quality of life improvements. The developers played it safe, the game is still pretty much the same as the PS1 version.
    With that said, I still absolutely love Spyro 1. It's one of favorite games ever. Unlike most games in its genre (and Spyro's sequels), this is a 3D platformer that doesn't resolve around gimmicks and minigames (outside of the flying levels). It's all about understanding the layout of the level and trying to figure out how to get to all the secret platforms. I wish more games had levels like Tree Tops.

EDIT: I almost forgot. Even in the PAL version of this remake, High Caves has the NTSC music which sucks in comparison to the PAL music. Fuck that.

• 2064: Read Only Memories

This has instantly joined the ranks of the Monkey Island games as one of my favorite point n' click games. While it doesn't lean heavily on that element and there's not really any nonsensical solutions based on strange items from your inventory, it does craft a very believable world and such a great cast of characters. Fun fact: I normally choose the "evil" or asshole route when I'm given an option in a game but I just couldn't bring myself to being mean to any of these characters. Such a bumpin' soundtrack too!

• Detroit: Becoming Human

I really enjoyed it for the most part. It's a story that I feel has probably been overdone at this point, but I still enjoyed the different elements in-between. Fahrenheit is still the best game QD has put out though.

• Mega Man X5

Took a break after finishing the first four games, but I'm back into the fray! It was my first time playing this one, and I didn't enjoy it. The game's structure is needlessly convoluted and not conveyed clearly at all to the player, I had to look up some guides online to make sure I was doing the right thing, and even then it wasn't very clear.

The game starts by giving you 16 "hours" to collect items held by the traditional bosses, and an hour passes every time you enter a level, whether you complete it or get a game over. If you haven't collected the items by the time the countdown expires, shit happens and you get one of three endings, the worst one.

This time pressure goes against what Mega Man has always been about, which is pick a level at random, try it out, see how far you get, then maybe try another one, guess which boss is weak to the weapon you just got, etc. This is even more emphasized in the X series where you usually revisit levels to obtain upgrades you couldn't get the first time around. In X5, you better be sure you know what you're doing when you enter a level, because the clock is ticking...

And even weirder than that, with each hour that passes, the level of the bosses increases (giving them more HP). When you defeat a boss at level 8 or higher, it gives you a "Part", an equippable item which grants bonuses (jump higher, charge faster...). So if you defeat a boss on your first try, it'll be level 1 and you won't get a Part. So the optimal way to play the game if you want all Parts is to purposely lose and waste around 8 hours so that the bosses level up, and then beat them all. It's completely absurd and impossible to figure out without reading a guide, none of this is explained in-game.

It's a shame because the design of some bosses is excellent, even though their fighting mechanics aren't very original. It's very clear they were churning these games out way too quickly and trying to find a new gimmick to raise the stakes or add complexity, but they went too far on this one. I still have to play 6, 7 and 8 but I'm kinda dreading them now.

I hope if they ever make a Mega Man X9, they go back to basics and focus on great level design rather than muddy the concept with pointless complexity.

• The Missing J J Macfield and the Island of memories 8.5/10

That's some good stuff right there, this is actually the first Swery game I beat but I certainly want to try more stuff having gone through this (already own most of them just haven't beat them)

• Astro Bot: Rescue Mission 9/10
    Excellent. Jolly. Magical. Play it.

Shenmue 8/10
    Enjoyed it. A little too limited after reaching certain point because it was hard to do any side stuff after that and I missed a lot of them. Since I like fighting games, I pretty much enjoyed combat and you to need to input moves yourself. QTEs were a bit too fast(just like in Yakuza games) but not something you can't go over.

• Cosmic Star Heroine

Really enjoyed this one and I'd recommend it to anyone that enjoys JRPGs, despite it not having Japanese developers. The story isn't all that memorable and some of the characters play super minor roles (there's a dancing robot that busts you out of jail and joins your crew, if you don't have him in your party after that, he's basically not a part of the game) but the combat really shines through as unique and interesting. It becomes fairly easy to develop a strategy that kills almost anything though, so even playing on the second hardest difficulty setting became a cake walk after awhile.

• Dragon Quest XI

Wow, such an amazing game! I was hooked from the beginning to the end and it's easily my top 3 game this year. If you want a jolly oldschool JRPG, then Dragon Quest XI will be perfect!

• Persona 3 Dancing in Moonlight 7/10

I had a ton of fun with the game, coming with a clear idea of what to expect of it and I thoroughly enjoyed the 15ish hours it took to platinum, though it certainly doesn't help with my desire for a P3 remake.

• @dipset I know this is old post but just played this game last night. Loved it. Really hooked me in and was a crazy ride. Lots of emotions.

• I did my third completion of Limbo, PS4 port this time.

• @ellis

I still haven't beaten another game since. It had a lasting impact for sure. I've been telling people at work to give it a try and a few people have also said they got hooked and felt a roller coaster of emotions.

• A Link Between Worlds. Really enjoyed it. It WAS rather easy but I'm cool with that these days. The dungeons were fairly short compared to the 3D games but they all felt like the perfect length for this game. Good times had by me indeed.

• Titanfall 2

There are a number of things to like, namely the on foot shooting and platforming; it's all really well done. The Gitan gameplay was ok, but very sluggish and restricted in comparison.

The most disappointing thing was that you're given quite a cool, game changing mechanic part way into the game, but instead of developing on it in creative ways, it just as quickly takes it away. The game also ends way too abruptly.

• Finally just finished Red Dead Redemption 2 easily my GOTY and one of my favorite games this generation and of all time. A few small quirks here and there, but not the end of the world. Arthur Morgan is one of my favorite characters now, beating out John Marston who is also high on my list

• @sheria said in Last game you finished:

Titanfall 2

There are a number of things to like, namely the on foot shooting and platforming; it's all really well done. The Gitan gameplay was ok, but very sluggish and restricted in comparison.

The most disappointing thing was that you're given quite a cool, game changing mechanic part way into the game, but instead of developing on it in creative ways, it just as quickly takes it away. The game also ends way too abruptly.

Before the release i was expecting it to be complete crap (like all other EA publish games) but i was surprised it was actually good.

there was a level that remind me of singularity. easily best level in game. i think that was what you talking about. time device. and it was very short lived.

• Florence

Played it because I knew it would be short and perhaps it would be good enough for me to make it one of the four games I need to send in a GOTY ballot. Turns out it's pretty lame. It's essentially a motion-comic about a relationship---which is fine, but it exposes nothing; it rests on cliches and stylistic vagueness. It's difficult to know much about our characters beyond the broad strokes, and it doesn't dig into (and I think ultimately presents a pretty unrealistic image of) living as an artist in modern day. There are little interactive bits that help tell the story, but even they feel more obvious than impactful like jigsaw puzzle pieces that fit together or don't in order to express ease and compatibility.

It's broad and simple enough for most people who have been in a relationship to identify with, and its art is alright, but this wouldn't be a blip in any other form of storytelling. Maybe that says something dire about games writing. If you want a much better game about Asian Americans dating, play Butterfly Soup. That one's also gay and about baseball.

• @b-cell said in Last game you finished:

@sheria said in Last game you finished:

Titanfall 2

Before the release i was expecting it to be complete crap (like all other EA publish games) but i was surprised it was actually good.

there was a level that remind me of singularity. easily best level in game. i think that was what you talking about. time device. and it was very short lived.

Correct. What a waste. Glad you bought up Singularity, I was thinking of that game a lot while playing too.

• @sheria said in Last game you finished:

@b-cell said in Last game you finished:

Titanfall 2

Correct. What a waste. Glad you bought up Singularity, I was thinking of that game a lot while playing too.

singularity was very underrated game of last gen. barely anyone heard it yet it was better than bioshock (which i never complete because its so bad) in every way.

• @b-cell said in Last game you finished:

@b-cell said in Last game you finished:

Titanfall 2

singularity was very underrated game of last gen. barely anyone heard it yet it was better than bioshock (which i never complete because its so bad) in every way.

Well, none of the Bioshock games were any good.