Last game you finished

• Resident Evil HD Remaster

I wanted to play through it before starting the RE2 remake. It has always been one of all time favorite video game and it still is just as good as it ever was.

Tenchu: Stealth Assassins

This is the first time for me playing a Tenchu game and I'm quite impressed. Both the combat and stealth feels very satisfying for a PS1 game.
    It has a pretty good difficulty level except for the final stage. It's about an half hour long and if you die at the end you need to redo everything as well as watch all the unskippable cutscenes.

• Homefront: The Revolution
    Blasted through this in about 10 hours, it's pretty fun. It's not a polished game by any stretch, but it has cool ideas and it executes them well enough.

• I like where the story goes, and the main story missions are quite varied and engaging.
    • The side missions and activities are decent, i like that you don't have to do all of them to progress.
    • I really like that this game is just a straight up shooter, no unnecessary RPG mechanics like leveling up or too much crafting. Too bad the gunplay is a bit clunky.
    • The music is... not good.
    • I wish it's less generic looking. if someone switches the UI to be like in Killzone 2, I would have thought that this is some prototype next-gen Killzone game (i swear, the LMG + Holographic sight reminds me so much of the ISA assault rifle from Killzone).
    • Speaking of guns, the customization mechanic is pretty cool, very Crysis 1. Pulling out the assault rifle receiver and turning the rifle into a LMG is epic.
    • There's a fun easter egg in the game, you can play the first 2 levels of Timesplitters 2, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Overall it's decent, especially for the low price i got it for. The developer's message at the end is a nice touch, i wish them well in their future endeavors. (6.5/10)

• Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate

Mediocre. I played it on the 3DS because creator's intent, I don't know if the HD versions improved on it. I found the controls very sluggish and unresponsive (coming after Hollow Knight, it was painful). Combat is boring and uninteresting, a very pale copy of the 3D Arkham games. Exploration is fun at first (it's a Metroidvania), but near the end when the game requires you to backtrack it becomes a drag, since there's no fast travel and the map is very unconvenient, stacking up multiple levels of depth and height onto a single top-down view, making it almost unusable. There's also several inexcusable glitches, platforms that can't be targeted by the batclaw (after exiting and re-entering the room they worked), the camera sometimes loses track of you and gets stuck in a part of the room where you're not, and the controls are disabled so you're forced to restart.

Very hard to recommend, unless you're in desperate need of a Batman fix and have finished all the proper Arkham games.

• Rick Dangerous 2

Put a lot on hold to finally finish this. It took me long enough to beat the original, but this one just went by unfinished for over two decades. There's so much trial and error here, but I never attribute that to poor game design, it's fun to learn from your mistakes in this way and truly master a game.

I can put the Atari St away for a bit.

• Beyond Good & Evil

Interesting in that it is not excellent in any one particular way. It does a lot of things, but it is more impressive in the ways in which it implements these many elements, which is always thoughtfully, connecting back to the story and world. It is a very unified, well-modulated experience, with a really enjoyable sense of place and flavour. It makes me a little anxious for the sequel, which looks to be much bigger. Scope is important to this first game as well, but I'm skeptical that a game shooting to be as big as the second will be as precise as the first.

• Tokyo Xanadu idk like 5.5/10

It's bad, nothing else about it, even if there are parts of it that are kinda enjoyable I've never been as pissed at game for just dragging on and on. If by any reason anyone is interested in this game, just don't, play any other Falcom instead, they are all so much better than this.

• @bard91 I think if you're craving for a Persona-esque game, then it's okay, I tried it only for that reason. Other than that, I agree.

• @bard91 said in Last game you finished:

Tokyo Xanadu idk like 5.5/10

If by any reason anyone is interested in this game, just don't play any other Falcom instead

Oki Dokie :)

• @hidz I wouldn't even say that, Persona is my favorite series so I'm always down for something like that, but this was just a bad attempt at it, Trails of Cold Steel does an infinitely better job at it.

• @bard91 Fair enough. I still need to play Cold Steel, I'm going to play 1 and 2 when they're coming out on PS4.

• So,

Not long ago in the 2018 Desire Index thread, I explained how Resident Evil 2 was at the bottom of it because I had absolutely no taste for Survival Horror. I've never liked scary things and I'd tried them multiple times but never "gotten" it.

Then RE2 comes out and it looks like an incredible game, something that I'd actually enjoying playing.

So, IGN guide open, Trainer at the ready if required, I started playing Resident Evil HD Remaster. And after a 6 hour stint tonight, I just completed it. You bet I read every single line of that guide, and you bet that having the Trainer running made my anxiety a little less high, and you bet I played on Very Easy, but I didn't actually activate a cheat once, I got REALLY into the story (Lisa :(), and I got the true ending.

Like, the first time I dodged a Zombie in a hallway and let him live for the entire game, dodging again and again... Goosebumbs.

I'm really proud of myself, like you wouldn't believe, as I never considered myself getting a taste for the genre, but I really see the appeal now, especially of Resident Evil. In fact, I can now see that a lot of the stuff I liked about Dead Rising 1 were directly taken from Resident Evil.

I'm definitely going to skip RE2 and 3 for now as they are (or will be) the newest in the series, might read the a story synopsis. Definitely going to play a less anxiety driven game next (AC: Unity) but I do reckon that 2019 is going to be the year I work my way through the Resident Evil series, starting with the other "Great" Resident Evil game. Resident Evil 4.

• The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince
    Nice little fairy tale game that I beat in 4 hours. Gameplay was pretty simple but it was actually more puzzle game I thought it would be.
    Cost 20€ and I was interested when I saw the trailer so it was an easy dip. Go with low expectations because gameplay or puzzle aren't that great. Might be good to play with a kid or young relative if they are into watching it. It's a 6.5/10. Simple but not bad.

• Doki Doki Literature Club

This is actually my second time beating it, and it is without a doubt the most emotionally and psychologically distressing game that I have ever played. I don't like horror games, but for some reason this one just drags you in, and keeps you there until you complete it. There were moments when I would leave the room in order to collect myself, only to be too anxious to re-enter the room.

The story itself is excellent as well, with all of the characters feeling legitimately fleshed out. The feels are intense and the scares are brutal, which is I guess all I could ask for in a game like this.

Extreme Anxiety/10

• RDR2 in the books.

• Mortal Kombat X story mode. Good times. But those cut scenes - WOW. They clearly blew their budget on those guest characters.

• Silent Hill 2

I think it's a bit weak. The shifting, corrupted environments of the first game are now pretty straightforward: a maze of full broken locks and slow, shambling enemies with just as many packs of ammunition to nonchalantly put them down. It was a pretty monotonous, mopey game with few surprises and annoying characters. Yes it looks good (I like that the game stuck with the lo-fi look that was a necessity in the first game), and the last half hour or so, which is (apart from the final boss fight) excellent, makes up for some of the game's shortcomings. Those things and a row boat aren't enough for me to agree with the consensus on this one.

• I didn't 100% it (because the Sick goals are extremely hard), but after clocking up 70 hours, I'm finally done with Tony Hawk's Project 8, which was the last (and biggest) of the classic mainline Hawks that I had left to play.

I managed to get all the goals - 70% on Pro, 30% on Sick - plus a large majority of the gaps.

• Yakuza Kiwami 2

I did not complete this game in 2018. I played enough to know that I loved it, but it felt like a bit of a hangover from Yakuza 6 considering they released in North America the same year. I think if Yakuza 6 didn't give me a taste of the high budget polish a Yakuza game can be, then I'd feel differently about Kiwami 2 and I probably wouldn't notice the corners it cuts from time to time.

Kiwami 2 has limited animation at times (i.e. pantomime animation in sub-stories, or unnatural movement in cinematics), repetitive story missions (i.e. back-to-back chapters with building raids), combat that feels like a step backwards (i.e. unlimited weapons and kiwami finishers), and very quick - and pointless sub-stories that are not fully voiced. It sounds like a lot of complaining but the game does most things correctly. I still enjoy the story, but not its pace or convenient plot devices.

Again, everything that is amazing in Yakuza 6 is present here. You walk into buildings with no loading. There is a cell phone camera to take photos. NPCs will react to your photos. You can take Haruka out for a walk. It's insanely detailed and fun, just lacking compared to Y6.

• Titanfall 2

WHY DO WE NOT TALK ABOUT THIS GAME AS BEING ONE OF THE ALL TIME SINGLE PLAYER FPS GREATS?!

I truly wonder this after finishing Titanfall 2. It feels like this game is a natural evolution of not only the Half Life series, but also military shooters like Call of Duty that struggle to feel fresh, even when they make a futuristic setting like Black Ops does.

The biggest thing that makes this game one of the best all time SP FPS games is because of its approach to game design. It takes note from Half Life so well. On one hand it uses the somewhat simple but not entirely obvious platforming from Half Life 1 and 2. On the other hand, it mostly uses the formula where it introduces a fresh new idea in one level, then completely abandons it the next. Some might argue that they want to see more of that idea expanded on throughout the game, but I'd argue that it makes the roughly 40-60min you spend in a level feel very very special and unique.

These new ideas it throws at you involve interesting platforming, some new weapons and gadgets, and unlikely locations for a "military" game to take place in. The weapons on a surface level are like Call of Duty style rifles, but once you use them, you'll see they have a unique flare not unlike Halo, Resistance, or Half Life.

The only complaint I have is that the game is short. You can beat it in 6 hours no problemo. I would have liked it if they threw in ONE more level and ONE more interesting idea but I can only imagine how amazing Titanfall 3 will be next generation.

• @dipset Preach it, more people need to play that campaign. One of the reasons i loved the campaign so much was it's short length, it allowed absolutely no filler moments and it's all so damn good.