Last game you finished

• Trails in the Sky SC 9/10

A great sequel to a first great game, I would ike to give it a better score, but there were more than a few aspects that were not great and that I do feel took down the game a notch for me, still overall a fantastic game for most of the 60 hours of playtime.

I do feel that the story has some of the same problems which made me like Cold Steel 2 less than 1, but it is not something that ruins the game, just aspects that could make for a better experience.

And boy, having played three Falcom games in a row now, I feel I'm really seeing the wordiness in them.

Also who the hell thought it would be a good idea to have the final fight inside a freaking kaleidoscoipe, that was just horribly designed.

I'll likelyu start the third chapter in may after I come back from a month long vacation, and then on to Zero and AO, hopefully before CS 3 comes out.

• New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, not including the challenges, that is, kinda got bored near the end, but it's pretty fun, I haven't played a 2D Mario game since Mario 3 after all.

• @shadowoftheninja Wait, do you mean you were around when Mario 3 came out, played it and then never played Super Mario World? If so, I'm not sure whether to feel sad or impressed.

• Octodad with it's two side missions. I won't lie - I was not really that happy with the game. The bad controls were funny for the first two levels and then it just got irritating. Plus the wife in the game is the definition of a horrible spouse. I worked my ass off to provide onto her all these cute stuffies and the first thing she does is throw them aside then order me to fix a broken aquarium? AFTER she PURPOSEFULLY dragged me to the Aquarium despite knowing my Octodad fears them and hates them?!

SHE IS SO ABUSIVE TO OCTODAD!

• @e_zed_eh_intern I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the FC, so yea, I hope they put those SFC games into the switch online service.

• Just finished Sonic Mania. This game is so damn good, holy shit! The controls feel spot on (although I always get confused regarding which direction to push when you're going on loops and such), and i really appreciate that each level has something new to offer. This causes a inconsistency in the quality and fun factor of the levels, but at the very least the worst ones can still surprise me as much as the best ones. Difficulty wise it's pretty well done, it starts off in a pretty comfortable place and ends with a very climactic set of obstacles, although along the way there's some annoying moments that made it seem more difficult than it should. Studiopolis, Press Garden and Titanic Monarch are my favorite zones here. Absolute favorite is Press Garden, I just love how the level looks, the environment switch up in Act 2 is sublime. There's also very minimal annoyances there.

The things I said about the levels are also applicable to the bosses. Very varied, lots of highs but good amounts of lows too. While i hated the water zone, the boss in Act 2 of that zone is pretty awesome.

The soundtrack is a bit different though. It's a 10/10 from front to back, no holds barred, no fillers, absolutely spotless. No complaints here. I'm typing this while listening to the save menu song, real jolly.

I'll be keeping this game on my drive since I can see myself replaying it, and that's the highest compliment I could give any game. (9/10)

• Luigi's Mansion (3DS)

Meh, very average game.

It's pretty much over before it gets started, is very repetitive, has frustrating and clunky controls, sends you on mindless back-and-forths throughout the tiny mansion (probably because it would be half as long if it didn't). The Boos are very annoying to catch, constantly fleeing to another room, sometimes immediately after you've entered. It feels like a proof-of-concept and not much more.

Dark Moon was a lot better, so I still have hopes that Luigi's Mansion 3 can be interesting, but I don't understant people who prefer the original to its sequel.

• Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I used to be a huge lover of Gametrailers and their forum so I'm glad I found my way here.

Anyways, the last game I finished was Devil May Cry 5 just a few moments ago actually. Since KH3 I've had an itch for another action game and this hit the spot big time. It's sort bizarre to see such a ps2 era series brought into the current gen with such lavish visuals and production. Despite the improved visuals, DMC makes no sacrifices to it's tight and responsive combat and was a blast from start to finish.

• I finally finished MGSV, a game that really is unnecessarily padded out, I think it was a good 55 hours before I actually saw "the truth" and even then I'm only on 44% completion. I'm just going to finish the Quiet Arc as I love the character, but then I'm done for good. There's a lot to like here actually, but also a lot of problems bringing it down. The worst thing is that the game really is a bit of a mess, especially in the unnecessary second chapter. It's clear Kojima had even more intended from this game, but was rushed to get the thing out already. Konami are still assholes, but I think Kojima was also at blame here, he was far too ambitious with this game, god knows what it would have cost fully realised.

• Lego Marvel Super Heroes

I originally bought this on sale a few years back, played it for an hour, and dropped it. My girlfriend wanted to play something light and breezy together so we decided on this and had a blast together. Her knowledge on Marvel properties is pretty minimal so it was an added treat to have her discover characters for the first time and even spurred us to start catching up on some of the Marvel films she's missed. The biggest takeaway I have from this game is how much the open world really adds to the experience. While the missions feel like most of the other Lego games, being able to drive (and fly!) around the city and discover all sorts of secrets was really the best part. I'm casually pushing for 100% completion because of how much I enjoy the open world, so I'm sure we'll keep slowly chipping away until that platinum pops.

• Undertale (Switch)

I'm really late to the party here but this is a great game. I only realized there are three playthroughs of this game when I checked out a boss guide for the end. That means I'll get to those playthroughs with my roommate eventually.

What's not to like? This game is like a rollercoaster. You're just sort of on the rails for this journey and everything the game throws at you. I love how it breaks gaming conventions and parodies them in creative ways. I could articulate this all better but I don't quite have the time.

Undertale... one of the greats!

• Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army (Boo! Bad title. Fix your title)

This one hurts, because it does some things so exceedingly well and others so inexplicably poorly, how much someone likes this game will depend almost entirely on what they value. It has the greatest and most interesting setting of an SMT game I've played (and MT2 and SMT2 have fantastic settings). It uses its demons and its conspiracy plotline to express the xenophobia, militarism, and acceleration of technology that was troubling Japan during that time; it's really cool to see an RPG that references history so thoughtfully. I also like that our protagonist is a supernatural detective, and how powers from demons you've captured are used to influence people and objects in the game world. The environments alone, which reanimate period Tokyo make the game worth checking out.

What's baffling is how completely lame the combat is. SMT, especially in the PS2 era, had a great turn-based system, and man did they bungle their first shot at action RPG. It's slow and unresponsive, and using friendly demons and strategy is often less effective than just running around, slashing enemies and blocking attacks. It's really a slog, made worse by the back chunk of the game which would be a bit tiresome even with a good combat system.

It's a really mixed bag, but I'm going to lean towards 'worth playing' if just for its world and ambitions.

• Jumping Flash! 2

I love Jumping Flash, and this is just more Jumping Flash. A new assortment of levels and boss fights with the same strengths and weaknesses as the first game. The hallway levels are better, it's the tiniest bit tougher (though it's still an easy game), and the controls and powerups are basically all the same. I was overjoyed that they made another level in a fair style with roller coaster tracks; that was my favorite level in the first game and they outdid it in this one.

Anyways, it's good even if it's more of an expansion than it is a sequel. It's Jumping Flash baby.

• COD4 4/10

Garbage, played it since it was free and I knew the campaign was short, expecting it to be somewhat decent, but it really was a horrible campaign that did an excellent job at showcasing many of the poor design decisions of some modern games, if I didn't knew it was so short I would have dropped it after the third mission and I wouldn't have missed anything if I had, simply a very boring experience.

No interest on the mp so no comment on that, first and last CoD I play since the PS2 ones and it will remain that way.

• @sabotagethetruth I've been interested in that one, did you play Her Story? It seems pretty similar conceptually and I really liked it, so it is a big part of why I'm curious about it.

• @bard91 Defo a game I'd like to check out at some point but I can't say I have any experience with it.

• Resident Evil 2 (PS4)
    I loved it. I haven't enjoyed a Resident Evil game this much since RE4.
    I'm not that interested in an RE3 remake but I do hope future RE games will build upon this.

Drakengard (PS2)
    I wanted to play this before tackling the Nier games.
    The story is weird but cool. The areal levels are fun but the Musou-esque levels are really boring.
    Overall, I still enjoyed my time with the game.

• @bard91

Wow. I'm surprised you hate it so much. I think its a classic. Don't get me wrong, I hear exactly everything you are saying AND I don't even disagree with you - COD4 is overrated and has some terrible design choices.

For one, it completely disregards the innovative and dynamic direction the FPS games went with Half Life 2 and just replaced it with target shooting. Enemy pops up as a target, you ADS and shoot. Enemies spawn at specific times and there is nothing dynamic to the gunplay other than aim and shoot.

Two - The hyper aggressive AI who just bombards you with bullets from all directions is annoying to say the least. Not to mention that they will keep coming infinitely unless you push forward. May as well kill yourself if you wanna play this game on Hardened or Veteran.

WITH ALL THAT SAID, the context for everything is what I love about it. I don't think there had ever been a cinematic FPS game before and a lot of the storytelling was done very simply and all within the gameplay of the level. It has a ton of fun moments because you are playing and not watching. I think COD4 was very innovative in that way. One level you are sprinting out of a sinking ship, another you are flying an AC-130, another you are sniping in Chernobyl and hiding from enemies who are 2 feet away from you. It was unique in that regard but immediately got old by the next game. At the time I think it was cool and in a world of its own.

• Black Mirror: Bandersnatch (Netflix)

Under no circumstances is this an actual video game. It is exactly what it says it is, an interactive film - but with that said, there is a lot lifted directly from video games new and old, such as retaining information and inputting it later. Not only that, but the entire crux of the film is around an old school computer adventure game absolutely consuming the creator into madness. The themes are nothing new to gamers: do our decisions in-game and in real life even matter? Is there free will when the outcome is the same in the end? There are very overt parallels between the themes of the film, and the actual input/output viewer choice here.

From a gamer perspective, this is nothing we haven't been seeing in games a lot lately. This is basically like Doki Doki Literature Club in film form. There is player choice that goes off the rails into a predetermined outcome that embraces a meta-narrative about the media you're physically using to consume this entertainment.

The story intentionally keeps showing the same scenes again and again in fast motion as you re-do old decisions but unravel new elements to the plot. Its fun and interesting, but even if you only see the same scene for less than a minute, it starts to drag a bit at the end when it should be picking up more.

A solid 7.5/10 and I hope for more.

• Finished Mortal Kombat X's story, so I'm all ready for MK11 now. Warm take: MKX isn't really that good. Everything's kind of gray, both visually and figuratively speaking. Luckily 11 looks much better again practically every way possible. I think I'll leave X be now and concentrate completely on 11 then in a few weeks.