Last game you finished

• @phbz I did enjoy the Left Behind DLC same as the main game. Because it's shorter than the base game. It feels more focused and less repetitive. So I can see why people would like the DLC more.

• Dragon Quest I on Super Famicom. Great game. Use of a guide highly recommended. I played for like 10 hours without one and explored a lot and found a lot of stuff but din't know how to progress the story after a bit. The guide helped and I never would have figured out a lot of stuff without it. Good times though. On to DQ II!

• Four games over the last two days.

I replayed Fear Effect 1 and 2, two fantastic PS1 titles that never get old. I also finished Alien Storm on the Megadrive for the first time and then finally tied up the last mission of Assassins Creed Unity. I just bought World End Syndrome for the PS4, so that will be my next game.

• Played Clock Tower (the 3D, PS1 one), got two endings and overall liked it. It's slow, but I really like the visual design. Though there isn't much attention given to lighting, and it has, even for the PS1, pretty blocky and approximate models, I think it has a pretty attractive and pragmatic visual design. Environments are designed like dioramas, and it creates a staginess that enhances all the absurd trap-door entrances of the Scissorman. There's also really good camera use: ominous pans and cranes---even some nice high or low angles despite how crowded some of the environments are. It's really nice to play something that understands presentation, especially when it feels like even games made today have no idea how to use their cameras.

Anyways, no it's not great, in fact it's pretty lame when it isn't room-to-room Scissorman hide and seek, but it's got some good stuff going on.

• @ringedwithtile said in Last game you finished:

Played Clock Tower (the 3D, PS1 one), got two endings and overall liked it. It's slow, but I really like the visual design. Though there isn't much attention given to lighting, and it has, even for the PS1, pretty blocky and approximate models, I think it has a pretty attractive and pragmatic visual design. Environments are designed like dioramas, and it creates a staginess that enhances all the absurd trap-door entrances of the Scissorman. There's also really good camera use: ominous pans and cranes---even some nice high or low angles despite how crowded some of the environments are. It's really nice to play something that understands presentation, especially when it feels like even games made today have no idea how to use their cameras.

Anyways, no it's not great, in fact it's pretty lame when it isn't room-to-room Scissorman hide and seek, but it's got some good stuff going on.

Nice. I just beat that game again too!

• Ape Escape 2

The first Ape Escape is a bit forgettable apart from its character design, and I remember it more as a showcase for a two-analog controller than an exemplary 3D platformer. The sequel here pushes forward the personality and structures a more memorable, presentation-laden experience with gatcha and more varied theming.

Problem is, it still doesn't play all that well. Jumping feels bad. The gadgets often feel like keys rather than tools, and the level design is very obvious, built for slow rather than exciting or free means of traversal.

I liked it well enough to play it all the way through, but I don't know if it was worth the surprising amount of time it took to get the proper ending.

• I finished Fire Emblem: Three Houses as the Blue Lions professor with 70 hours played. Now I'm starting a New Game Plus with the Black Eagles. I can't stop playing this amazing game! Fortunately, my backlog is pretty small right now. I mostly just want to replay Gears 4 before 5 comes out. Then I'm looking forward to the new releases at the end of this month.

10/10

• Just finished Wolfenstein Youngblood, and I haven't felt this mixed on a game for a while. I do need to note that I'm playing this offline.

• The gunplay is fun, with tight controls, great gun sounds and impactful gore to back it up. Unfortunately they are bogged down by the newly added RPG mechanics of the game and armor types mechanic. Many enemies feel like bullet sponges (because of damage modifiers with levels and such), and needing to switch your guns to match the enemies' armor types adds to the needless annoyance.
    • I appreciate the more balanced difficulty of the game (compared to New Colossus). Enemies don't damage you as much, but they can still mess you up if you're too careless.
    • I don't care much for the new character level up system (replacing their old system of objective-based-progression). There's like no sense of achievement when leveling up, it just feels hollow here.
    • The story is barebones. There's not many cutscenes, and outside of that there's not much meaningful dialogues too. It's a shame, the story has been such a wonderful part of the main Wolfenstein games. It does set up an interesting direction to where the series is heading.
    • The collectibles are cool. The most interesting are cassette tapes (some of which is tapes for songs) and UVK covers (which is basically the VHS equivalent) of various movies. There's also some really good lore on the collectible text logs.
    • Structurally the game is lacking in variety. There's a lot of objectives basically being reused here and there. This happens in the other Wolfenstein games too, but for some reason it's really apparent here.
    • The design of the open levels feels Arkane-lite, as in it feels like a half step between linear levels and the kind of levels you would see in an Arkane game. "Half step" is the key word here, because it's kinda underwhelming.

I am happy that they decided to change things up a bit and try new things for the series with this spin-off, but the game failed to deliver fully on it's potential. (5.5/10)

This just makes me want to replay New Order and New Colossus again. That reminds me, I haven't gone through New Colossus' Fergus timeline and the DLCs yet...

• Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch)

I really like the story mode. Very well made levels. Also, all the new stuff are all great additions.

• Zone of the Enders

Really good presentation, but flat storytelling. I get that mecha has to have a semi-reluctant teenage boy as the protag, but even as someone unfamiliar with the genre, its movements and character motivations felt really trite. Some of Kojima's more operatic sentiments pop in here or there (like the death of the game's villain for example), but his influence feels more decorative than anything else: the graphic design, the pacing (rather than the quality of) the dialogue. The combat could have been better thought out as well. Movement is pretty responsive, but the action mostly comes down to mashing square and changing up ranged and close-combat approaches. Blocking and throws never struck me as necessary, and a lot of the side weapons feel cumbersome.

I like that it's all one nicely realized location though. I like games that do that.

• Gears of War 4 - I replayed the story of Gears of War 4. Gears is Gears and it's still lots of fun. They haven't changed gameplay that much since Gears 1. There was a time when Gears of War clones were popping up everywhere but you don't see them these days. So I would say the combat in Gears feels more like a good through-back novelty as opposed to feeling like archaic gameplay design. I like JD Fenix and the new characters. Although, their dialog could have been just a little better. Also, I forget how abruptly the story ends in this game. Still looking forward to playing Gears 5 next month.

• Hitman (2016)

This game is one of the most fundamentally sound gameplay designs in the entire industry. From a gameplay perspective, this game nails it. There are a lot of layers to this onion where there is a perfect harmony across departments. The level design sucks you in, the aesthetic of the level brings you in, the scenarios are extremely clever and rewarding to achieve. This game is a perfect formula. I'll write more in the Hitman thread but don't sleep on this this game.

8.5/10

• Just finished AO NO Keiseki and i gotta say it was a great game and hope its gets localized someday

• Maximo: Ghosts to Glory

A really solid 3D platformer; I'm surprised it isn't brought up more often. Translates G&G's sense of empowerment and disempowerment really well, and does a pretty decent job of continuing the slow but high-stakes platforming loop that makes the series so notable. There's actually a very limited moveset, but the game is well designed around player limitation, introducing hazards and enemies that ask for timing and consideration rather than the accrual of collected objects that simply make you stronger (if you do collect powerups, you stand to lose almost all of them on death). Resources like money and keys ask for a similar consideration when you're tempted to use them up, as the game keeps those valuable the entire way through as well.

It isn't perfect (bosses are easy, camera screws up in tight environments), but I really like its focused design philosophy.

• Doom (1993) and Doom II: Hell on Earth
    First time playing any Doom game and they were tons of fun.
    Got kinda burnt out by the end of it and it felt kinda repetitive but still had a blast going through them.

Gonna take a break before diving into Doom 3 BFG cause I wanna play Astral Chain lol

• Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

This game was tedious.Extremely tedious. I have never been so negative on a game I finished. So many times I couldn't see and it was thanks to the crappy lock-on. On previous games it never bothered me but that's because they were more slow paced in comparison. Combat felt monotonous after awhile since fought the same enemies again and again, even the mini-bosses. Seriously this felt more like a traditional Megaman game except not fun.
    Probably took me 50h to beat the game and 7,5 of it was just on a final boss(which had unnecessary 4th phase).
    6.8/10

• Sekiro: Shadows Dies Twice (PS4)

Finally finished this, I've been playing it on and off since it was released. I think it's much harder than the other From games but it's also one of their best if you ask me.

Some Bosses are really pushing it in terms of difficulty and are overly long which is a problem in all the current gen From games.

• Final Fantasy VIII: Remaster

Disappointed a little in the trophy selection here as there are a lot more challenges in this game they could have used. I still went for a full completion though so I got: all cards; all magazines; all GF & Characters to level 100; all GF abilities; all blue magic and all ultimate weapons.

The remaster itself seemed fine though I don't personally like how sharp and out of place the new character models look in comparison to everything else around them. It's my favourite game of all time so I'm happy to have supported another release of it while also picking up an extra platinum along the way. Considering the huge amount of times I've completed this game, I in no way expected to get choked up and tearful again at the ending, but it still happened.....

• Shenmue (PS4)

It's my first time playing thought this cult classic. I really enjoyed it despite having many flaws. There's a lot of waiting around, the forklift section is way too long and the stealth section is terrible. While I still enjoyed the story it's amazing how little actually happens in such a story focused game like this, the plot doesn't evolve at all.