Last game you finished

• River City Girls

Man, this was kinda weird. It's a fun game for sure, but I just feel like it doesn't quite hit enough high notes yet to really satisfy me.

I really had fun with the combat. Beating thugs up feels great here, and I really like the personality of the girls that are being shown through their moves. The combat is pretty challenging in the regular fights since the enemies can swarm me pretty easily, but the boss fights are disappointingly easy, which is probably the biggest flaw of this game for me. The flashy personality of each bosses certainly made them more entertaining to fight, and the charming writing and VO helps, but I still want more out of them. I also want more out of the progression system, more new moves would help.

Meanwhile, the music is kinda all over the place. The tracks with vocals are great, but many of the other tracks can feel really samey and flat. This is worsened by the fact that the tracks often switch when you're going to different areas, and more often than not, a track that I like changes to something worse. Not to mention, the ending is super meh at best... the normal ending, at least. I don't care enough to try to get the alternate ending, unfortunately.

All in all, it's a potentially great game held back by some flaws in it's most important aspects. (7/10)

• Jedi Fallen Order

I believe this game came out around one year ago, can't imagine the state it was but I imagine not great. I can picture the developer team being quite proud of what they were producing and at certain point some executive saying to wrap things up, "that is good enough".

This is one unpolished game! In a way that I don't quite remember playing anything like this. It's not a broken game but there's plenty of sections that feel almost just as place holders or at the very best something barely functional needing a lot of design tweaks. Then the animation work, kinda clunky, kinda glitchy. To the point where on some occasions, usually while descending obstacles, you can even trigger some missing animation frames where the character model goes to the default "crucifix" stance.

On the other hand there's some really high quality stuff here. Texture work is great, so is the art direction with a great use of scale and some glorious skyboxes. Soundtrack is also pretty fantastic. There's a couple of cool locations with good environmental puzzles too.

But mostly it's an ok game, level design is ambitious but not really rewarding and same could be said of the combat. Also story and characters, they don't hurt the game but don't elevate it in anyway either. Although the narrative can be frustrating in how story-beats always feel underwhelming, unable to materialize the competent build up.

6/10

• Sea of Solitude

This is a cool short game. I like how it executes its ideas and how its metaphors materialize through game design. Gets very real and depressing despite of the writing being way too literal and obvious and the voice acting being poor. Which is a testament to the game's core that still manages to have impact. Great soundtrack too.

7/10

• Just uploaded my review of Crash Bandicoot 4.

I really enjoyed my time with it. It's a really fun game with lots of stuff to do and come back to. Sloppy mechanics added up to a sort of experience that made the difficulty feel a little more cumbersome than what it would have been had the game been tightened up a bit more before release.

Youtube Video

• Dead Space 3

Hum... Very inconsistent game. Frankly was expecting it to be worse but there are issues, no doubt. The whole microtransactions thing I remember hearing at the time does feel scummy but the weapon customisation system is a pretty cool idea. There's also a focus more geared towards action than horror which I could be OK with but it makes for a duller experience as it becomes super predictable.

Story is cool with some unnecessary corny moments. Same for characters.

The variety of locations is a welcomed change to the series.

Sound design took a quality hit in this game. Which is a shame since 2 was absolutely top notch. On the other hand 2 had an awful final boss and this one is pretty dope, presentation wise. Ends the series on a high note.

7/10

• Five Dates (PC)

It's a short 2 hours game about dating(duh!). It felt good to play in this quarantine times. Saffron is my girl, you can choose from the rest of them. :P

• Spider-Man Miles Morales. Finished it 2 weeks ago and did all of the side quests. The best superhero game and best Spider-Man game for me right now!

• Finished Bugsnax after spending the day with it-the story that is. Can't say there's been a game since Pokemon Snap that has fascinated me through discovery.

• @brawlman

Can't wait to play it myself. Damn Sony and their Goddamn stock issues!

• @scotty It's on PS4. I got that version.

• @brawlman

Yeah, I know. I assumed you played on PS5. I don't have neither at the moment unfortunately.

• After more than a year of sitting in my PS4 backlog folder, I got around to playing What Remains of Edith Finch. It's an unique game, for sure. I enjoyed exploring the colorfully designed Finch House, and the game really went out it's way to present the family members' stories in a engaging fashion. I don't think I like it as much as many people out there, but I definitely appreciate the very palpable and real sense of creativity that is overflowing from this game, which I hope explains the high score I'm giving it. (9/10)

• Full Spectrum Warrior

When this game came out in 2004 I played it for a while but at that moment in my life gaming was not at the top of my priorities. But it did stick with me since then as something I would like to comeback to. Well it's 2020 and part of GWG so I went for it. What better use could I have to my brand new XSX than playing an original Xbox title? 😁

FSW is a 3rd person real-time strategy cover shooter game (yes I think that covers it) where you are in control of two fireteams in the streets of an imaginary country, that's basically Iraq.

Ignoring the latent American imperialism, this is actually an excellent strategy game, with a satisfying combat puzzle as you make your way through the streets, solving combat situations as they come along.

Apart from the satisfying gameplay loop I have to credit the atmosphere. Graphics are old but still do a good job along with the sound design. The city's warm tones and the feeling of abandonment accentuated by the sound design make this game a "cool" moody experience.

Glad that I finally had the opportunity to properly play it.
    8.5/10

• @phbz I remember that game, never played it but it was a relatively big deal on Xbox. I vaguely remember it was developed with consultation from the US army, or in conjuction with some kind of army programme?

• @axel Yes the US army was involved, I think they wanted to use it as a training platform.

• I've recently finished Bugsnax, Spider-Man: Miles and Twin Mirror in swift succession. Bugsnax is just brilliantly refreshing and quirky-just want Playstation needed to depart from the gritty serious games we tend to get. Spider-Man: Miles Morales is impressive in how awesome it manages to be as a condensed open-world game. Twin Mirror unfortunately can't shake being mediocre and it manages to convey the worst aspects of Dontnod games without their upswing of decent characters and an emotionally compelling story.

• @happygaming

Hey I knew you did reviews but this is the first one I watched. I just want to say this is really great and informative. I subbed.

• Crysis 3

Enjoyed it way more than expected. Usually games where you are overpowered tend not to get much praise. I do appreciate them, they usually are good palate cleansers. Crysis 3 I think it does a good job in providing tools to have fun with with good level design mixed in for good measure. Story is whatever but the pace is great.

Played the 360 version it's simultaneously impressive and blurry af. 8/10

• Mega Man 11

Pretty much what I expected, which is why I waited 2 years before buying it. It does absolutely nothing to advance the Mega Man formula, it's happy rehashing the same game over and over.

It still works, kinda. The art style, animations, enemy and boss design are all great, there are a couple visually impressive moments. Except for Mega Man himself, weirdly, I find his run cycle very goofy-looking for some reason. All his boss transformations are on point and cute as hell though. Most levels have interesting themes beyond just the classic fire/ice/electric and so on. There's some actual environmental storytelling going on, which was a nice surprise, such as an abandoned theme park reconfigured by the boss into an explosive-laden, death-trap fun ride.

The game has a weird balance: there's a shop you can access between levels, where you can buy anything from lives to energy tanks to permanent upgrades (chips). This means that in the levels themselves, there are absolutely no secrets or collectibles to find, only credits dropped by enemies to spend at the shop. And unlike previous games in the series, enemies never drop extra lives (at least I never got one), and very rarely drop health (maybe once per level).

The shop is very cheap too: after trying one level and getting my first game over, I had amassed enough credits to buy myself 9 lives and energy tanks, meaning every boss fight was immediately devoid of challenge as I could refill my health so many times. I had to stop myself from abusing the system and keep the fights fair, but it sort of removed my sense of achievement.

Since I'm so big on exploration and secret-hunting, which the X series offers, I felt that was a huge step back. You have absolutely no reason to revisit a stage you've already beat.

Most of the permanent upgrades are rather insignificant, or are only there to remedy an issue that shouldn't be there in the first place. For example, by default when you take damage you get knocked back. This is the norm in many games, particularly Mega Man, but here you get knocked back a LOT, causing you to die from hitting an enemy and falling into a pit as a result way more often than you should. One of the chips reduces the knockback distance to what it should always have been, so rather than feeling like an upgrade it feels like a fix to an unfair disadvantage.

Level design is classic Mega Man, with most of your deaths not coming from enemy hits but rather from insta-death traps you'll usually learn from trial and error. It's not exactly a fun way to create challenge.

I feel like there's soooo much more that could be done with this series, but instead they can't seem to evolve beyond the template set by the very first game. Pretty much like Pokemon.

If they ever make a Mega Man X9, I hope it will be the one to shake things up, but I don't have much hope.

• Call of the Sea

First person puzzle adventure -Call of the Sea-it's all about location, location, location. Well not all about but greatly. The art direction is stunning and while the game isn't a technical marvel it really elevates the game's presentation to an impressive standard. Gorgeous colour palette and environments that are carefully detailed and often wonderfully imaginative are a constant all through this adventure and in it self a reason to keep progressing.

The puzzles are well balanced, not too obvious and not too obtuse (except one that I've solved having no clue how), well inserted in the world, engaging and most of the times rewarding progression wise.

Story is a bit too emotional for my taste, a bit corny. But I'm a cynical guy.

And while sound design is pretty great, music it's kinda just there, whatever. Would give it a 9 if the music was better. 8.5/10