Last game you finished

• Finished Cyberpunk 2077.
    Pros: Great writing, looks amazing on pc (from streams I seen),
    Cons: Constant crashes on PS5 (total 19), characters are one sided at times

• Final Fantasy 7 6.5/10

I think this game is fun enough at the end of day, that's why it gets a decent score, cause looking at it today it certainly isn't a good game and definitively not worthy of being on the top lists of games ever outside of nostalgia, being outdone by FF6 easily and others not long after it as far as I'm concerned.

The Good:

It has some really good moments, I wouldn't take that away from it and the characters do have their charm and their personalities manage to come through pretty well at times, but with one exception I they never really managed to make me care a lot for them, music is also very good as is to be expected.

Red XIII, I love that dog thing or whatever it is, every time I saw it's blocky face on screen it made me smile and it is the one thing I'll say that I love about this game.

The Bad:

I knew I wouldn't like the combat, ATB systems have never been good in my opinion but in here it feels very bad and makes the combat feel very shallow, and the materia system didn't help, which I understand people like because of its flexibility but I never grew to like it and it just felt like more of a burden, the story is fine, in the sense that it is one of those jrpg stories that doesn't make any sense and you just kinda have to go with it, and at least it moves at a fine pace for the most part, though I can't say I see the story as a positive at the end of the day.

I've never liked FF and similar overworlds, and this case wasn't the exception, and while I grew to tolerate the visuals, the prerendered backgrounds really don't work imo.

At the end of the day, I understand this is a 24 year old game, and I understand it may have been amazing back in the day, but seeing it today it feels like nothing special in anyway, but it does still manage to be an enjoyable experience.

• @bard91 To each their own! I was recently playing Remake and found myself missing the blocky graphics, prerendered backgrounds and the ATB combat system from the original (not to say Remake doesn't rock in those and other ways), but growing up, those sorts of games have always been my jam. I adore turn based battles and retro PS1 aesthetics and sounds. It's sort of like pixel art to me, where there's just a different era of retro that has a different appeal to it.

All that being said though, I agree about the story. I like individual beats with characters, but the overall plot just never clicked or made sense in the same way 6 blows it out of the park. That one has character stories and a full plot to boot.

• @happygaming yeah the style and combat I can understand if it just doesn't jive with me, on the plot and characters side is where I find it harder to understand the praise, cause it just feels really unremarkable, even for the time.

• Super Meat Boy Forever(PC)

Well, this was fun even though sometimes really frustrating. Autorunner gameplay is what changed the gameplay the most obviously. At first it's a little bit hard to get use to but after a while you just go with the flow and that's great actually. Game was just smooth and fluid if it makes sense.

Story was a nice touch too. Comparing the first one animations and graphics were step up. It has randomly generated levels except he boss fights so you can play the game again and again after you finish it for the first time. You can also collect pacifiers and some buggy voids to gain point for unlocking some new levels I guess? I didn't care those a lot because game was hard enough for me to just focus on it and trying to find those extra thing would just make it boring for me, maybe once in a while I can try to get them for challenge.

Btw, I still don't think the game is harder than the first game. With that said the last two boss fights really got on my nerves. :DDD To wrap it all up: I like this kind of hard games(this, 1st game, Celeste, Cuphead etc.) much more than soulslike hard games. I also want to say that this game is muuuch better and more enjoyable than boring Cuphead but I got a feeling that it will just be forgotten unlike the 1st game unfortunately. Maybe the release for the PS5/XSX can resurface it again.

Note: Nugget is too cute.

Note2: I hate to see this in the game reviews on PC but it will probably be more comfortable if you play the game with a controller. Especially in the boss fights. I didn't and my forefinger was sore during some of the boss battles.

Great

• Finished my replay of Watch Dogs 2, and I can safely say that it is better than I remembered. Playing this right after WD1 is pretty eye opening, the jump in quality is like Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2. WD1 felt undercooked in many aspects, and WD2 fleshed these aspects out to make a truly great game.

There are way more options in hacking now, and I think you can actually get through the game without using guns, provided you have unlocked all the necessary skills to hack the combat scenarios into your favor. My favorite hacks include accelerating a vehicle remotely to hit an enemy, and hacking a robot to make them hit everyone around them head on. I used the stun gun almost exclusively, it just feels wrong to make Marcus shoot people... although I did "accidentally" kill a lot of enemies with exploding transformers and such. Shoutout to the combat/stealth arenas, I keep thinking of the recent Hitman games when I'm sneaking around in them and looking for hacking opportunities to progress through.

San Francisco is a pretty lively and colorful place, and there's a lot of fun things to check out. The game incorporated more of the hacking mechanics into exploration and progression, with hiding upgrade points and other fun collectible in hard to reach areas, which makes exploring overall feels more exciting and rewarding. I had to skip quite a few of the collectibles that I stumbled upon, only because I can't figure out how to get them.

The story feels very loose, and I think that's fine since the characters and the interactions between them are the fun part of the story. The writing can feel quite naive and one dimensional at times, but honestly it's just too fun to kick the big bad companies in the butt, especially considering events in recent years. The main quests are quite fun, and there's a lot of special one-time gimmicks that makes them standout. The side quests can be interesting, and many of them has quite satisfying story moments, but objective-wise they leave a lot to be desired.

I'm glad that I decided to play this again. I don't know if I ever get to play Legion, but whatever happens, I still have this game to cherish the series, so it's all good. (8.5/10)

• Cyberpunk 2077 (played on the XSX) Already wrote a lot about it. The (im)perfect intersection of Deus Ex, Skyrim and GTA. Loved the world, characters, story and side content. The end made me genuinely sad and eager to start a new game right away.

In my heart, filtering all the issues, this is a masterpiece. Unfortunately there's issues in literally every aspect of the game. Constant glitches, structurally broken quests, half implemented systems, generally unpolished main quests and yet I still love it.

7/10 One up from my intended 6 because the last chapter really had an impact on me. Could easily go up to a 9 in the next two updates.

• Return of the Obra Dinn

Finally got round to playing this one, it was very cool! The art style put me off but it grew on me eventually, still not a fan but I imagine a more detailed style would have possibly made some of the puzzles too easy.

The concept is super fun and original, and the execution is mostly great, although it does become a bit repetitive after a while. You're tasked with identifying every member of the crew through flashbacks of the moment of their death, as well as who's responsible and how it happened.

At first you rely on obvious cues, like someone calling another's name or rank, but it quickly becomes much harder to identify people and you need to pay attention to the most seemingly insignificant things to make the correct guess. You've got a journal which automatically updates with every clue you learn, and where you must fill in the blanks.

In order to prevent brute-forcing, you must have a set of 3 correct answers at once for them to be confirmed by the game. Given the amount of possible combinations, it mostly makes it impossible to make completely random guesses. But in some cases I still resorted to it, because I had no idea how else to progress. "I know this guy is one of the 4 Chinese topmen, but literally no way to know which one exactly" As I advanced and locked in more and more identities, the remaining ones became easier to guess by process of elimination, which made it engrossing.

Some of the fates are sometimes too unclear and the game compensates this by making multiple solutions acceptable in these cases, but it's still a bit frustrating when the manner of death looks like one thing but is considered another.

Not a perfect game, but there's nothing else like it. If you enjoy puzzles and whodunits, go for it.

• Gears Of War: Judgement
    Well, my Gears marathon is now finished. I've played all (console) Gears titles and I'm happy I did.

Judgement ends it on a low note. When I was reading the Disaster Artist book I've noticed the author was the writter of Judgement, kinda got my hopes up, and indeed the narrative structure of this game is good. You're being judged and gameplay is you telling your version of the events. Then on top of that you have modifiers for each mission that are the "classified" version. Problem? Well, gameplay wise it goes nowhere, very little variation. Some sections better than others but overall underwhelming. Then there's an extra 7th chapter more akin to classic gears, with more world building and pace variations but nothing great about it. I can see why people were not happy about it when it released. 6.5/10

Now having played all games I wish MS did an open world Gears. Such a fascinating world that in every single title made me wish to lose myself exploring it. And gameplay wise definitely explore more of its moody horror side.

• @phbz

It really frusturates me that they are still not bringing this, 2nd and 3rd game to PC. Either have it all on PC or don't bring any of that to PC. Now the situation is play the first game, can't play 2nd-3rd andJudgement then continue with 4th after missing 3 games. Ridiculous!

• @scotty That's really surprising, had no idea. Hopefully they'll eventually make a Gears Collection soon. Microsoft makes the weirdest business decisions, never crossed my mind that at least 2 and 3 weren't available on PC.

• Tell me Why

For a company which much of its Gameplay consists of dialogue and environmental interactions DONTNOD should at this point have a much more well integrated and seamless system on how this two interact without - for example - losing a conversation just because you looked at a cup.

And in all honesty I would like them to lose their esoteric crutch for storytelling.

Other than that this is another great title from them and in some aspects their best. Less reliant on plot twists, more focused and grounded.

7.8/10

• Donut County

A cool idea that fails to effectively materialize. It's fun enough to swallow stuff into a hole but it doesn't really expand on its core idea until very near the end. And the way as the narrative ties all together, while light hearted and funny, it's for the most part underdeveloped and at times annoying.
    Visually it's just functional, borderline competent.

Seemed like the kind of game I would love but ended up disappointing. 5.5/10

• Desperados 3

What an incredible game! Tactical games are always a personal favourite of mine but this game really pushes the envelop. Polished graphical presentation, impressive voice acting in quantity and quality, plus an engaging narrative and rich cast of characters. But these just nice extras on top of an incredibly solid core.

All along the 3 chapters, in a total of 16 missions, Desperados never feels stagnant. It takes its time to introduce its characters and all their mechanical nuances and levels are varied, huge and complex.

Hard game but with an extremely generous save system that encourages experimentation. 9.2/10

• @phbz

I don't like this genre but I may make an exception for this, looks fun.

• @scotty If you're on Gamepass you should definitely play it even if not all through the end. It might get a bit too hardcore for someone not into the genre.

• The Medium

Greg Miller said it best when he described The Medium as a PS2 game running on next gen hardware. Though I would not call this game survival horror and coming to it with those expectations will probably set you up for disappointment.

This is more of an esoteric themed mystery game, very much a 3rd person walking sim , with some classic point n click influences. Very little of survival or horror.

Really enjoyed how personal the story is, even as it expands its scope. Cinematography is great in how meticulously shots are composed and camera motion is set. Also really like how subdued everything is, with very little usage of hollywooesc tropes for the genre, although it might prevent it from having a larger commercial appeal.

Music is not bad, just ok, same with sound design. Been seeing some praise for it, honestly I don't see it.

On the negative. Technical hiccups, being the worst offender the frame pacing. Classic Bloober Team bad optimization. But the worst is the game's failure in solidifying gameplay mechanics, having to resort too often to inform you in the form of written notifications instead of good game design. Not incredibly serious or unique in the walking sim space but it's what prevents it being better.

It feels quite unique and personal. Perfect short game to play on a rainy weekend.

(Good news for the Team. They already recouped their production and marketing investment.)

• It's been over two years but I've just completed Red Dead Redemption 2 and damn the amount of amazing and memorable moments in that one game is unfathomable until you experience it. When we have an Ubisoft Assassins Creed game every year or two and none of them can hold a matchstick up to the skyscraper-sized inferno RDR2 is, then that just shows you just how exceptional and gargantuan RDR2 is. There really should be greater expectations of those who make open world sandbox games because RDR2 should now be that measuring stick. It's not really in the size that makes RDR2 brilliant, it's the cavalcade of moments and visuals that leave a mark as well as the characters, missions, music, dialogue and the multitude of ways RDR2 rewards and values players and their time spent in its vast and palatial world.

• Finished TOHU. As someone who rarely plays point-and-click adventure games, the puzzles in this game really kicked my ass. I feel like I tacked 50% of the puzzles on my own, and the rest I needed a hint of some kind. Thankfully there's a pretty helpful hint system (and walkthroughs on YouTube). Despite this, the puzzles themselves are at least creative enough that I still enjoy the process of trying to figure them out. Also, the puzzle types are very varied, which is awesome.

I think this game's main strength is its beautifully illustrated and animated adorable world, and it's so fun to see how quirky it can get. The levels are quite varied in terms of atmosphere and aesthetic, and the soundtrack helps each level to feel more unique. While the story itself is pretty one-dimensional (and the ending kinda sucks), the characters and situations that you'll interact with keeps it engaging enough. There's some really neat small interactions in each level as well.

I think it took me about 4-5 hours to finish this, and it doesn't feel like the game had filler moments or went for too long. I think it could have been even better if it had some quality of life options (being able to speed up time, for example), if the story was deeper, or if there was some accessibility options (there's one color-coded puzzle that troubled me), but I would still recommend it. (7.5/10)

Also, I'm glad to see Blood tried this game out as well, he talked about it in the latest Frame Trap. I tweeted one of the tracks from this game at him sometime ago, so maybe I had a hand in making him play it...

• Tried The Little Nighmares II demo on PC.

It's fun. Reminds me the Limob&Inside a lot but looks like it's going to be more enjoyable than those; especially Inside. I bought the first game last fall, will try to finish it before playing this one.