Last game you finished

• Just finished It Takes Two. It deserves GOTY nominations at the very least. It’s currently my favourite release of the year and it’s going to be tough to beat.

• Evil Within

Excellent game, maybe two chapters longer than it needed to be, and the last chapter is kind of a disaster. Which is a shame because until then I was really feeling it.

Love how unpredictable it is, always dragging you to new crazy situations and mixing things up. Died 102 times 😁 which is funny because I thought the difficulty was quite balanced but maybe 20 of those was trying to pass one of the last sections with minimum ammo available.

The direction, sound design and cinematography is really impressive. So creative, damn! Image quality is horrible through.

8/10 but it's special enough to order a physical copy for my collection. Such a shame the last chapter!

• Narita Boy

Cool action platformer thankfully more action than platformer, because the combat is fun but everything about the movement feels slightly off. Nothing catastrophic as the level design understands its own limitations.

What really shines here is the art direction. Fantastic environments and character design, everything hand drawn, from world, animations and special effects. Nice synthwave soundtrack. The composition isn't great but the lush synth patches used sound great.

7.5/10

• @phbz

While playing the demo I had hard time to look at the screen, art direction was tiring for my eyes.

• @scotty I love it, there's only on section in the red area that was a bit too overwhelming, with the amount of flashing lights and objects moving horizontally on the screen. Just that, but I know some people more photosensitive are having issues with it.

• @phbz

Which is ironic because I usually don't have that kind of problems about visual media.

• @scotty Me neither but in that section I was sweating, light-headed and nauseated. And I kept dying and having to repeat it from the beginning.

• Apparently it's been a while since I've been on the forums! Been pretty busy over here.

Anyways, just finished up Shenmue for the second time to cut a review and thought I'd share. If you're down to check out the full version, here's the link. Even as a person who has never been a fan of open-world games, Shenmue still feels like nothing else I've played, and I love it to death!

Youtube Video

• The last game I beat was Shovel Knight (a couple months ago). Just Shovel Knight's Path, not anyone else.

• Just finished and platinumed Little Nightmares II- An absolute treat and a really solid improvement over the first game.

• Outriders

Went for this game expecting it to try it for a bit and give up, just like with Destiny, Division 2 and even Borderlands. To my surprise I loved the combat so much that I had to beat the campaign. It helps that it has a competent story and cast of characters and also that the world keeps getting more and more interesting as you progress.

Played most of it solo but did some missions co-op and the already great combat becomes even better with the synergies between players. Great freedom in how you build you character, and it lets you reset you ability tree any time.

Lots of glitches and bugs, specially in cut-scenes. I feel this could have been even better if given more time.

7.5/10

Funny thing in how I play a looter shooter. The game gives you a ton of inventory space, plus a chest to keep your favourite gear. I ended the game with one pistol, one rifle, one machine gun and one shotgun. Same for clothing. That's actually the most annoying thing about it, I don't care at all about the constant loot.

• This is kinda cheating because I'm way off from actually finishing it, but I think I have reached a point where I had enough of TLOZ: Breath of The Wild (not too far in, sadly). I'm happy that I finally got to try this game out, but also kinda disappointed because I didn't enjoy it as much as I would like to. It's just a matter of preferences really. I respect a lot of the design decisions in this game, but all of them are coalescing into a type of open world game that I'm not really into. I find the shrines to be an unsatisfying case of quantity over quality, there's just not enough things in the story to keep me excited for the main quests, and the exploration can be a hassle at times, which regularly defeats any satisfaction from finding secrets and such. Regardless, I'm excited to jump into Skyward Sword later in the year, and also Link's Awakening Remake whenever I can afford it.

• Rain on Your Parade

In this game you are a cloud that has to rain on stuff through a sequence of small stages. It has some cool ideas but it's always so simple and uninteresting for the most part. You'll get powers but they never explore the mechanics to their potential.

It's a collection of underdeveloped ideas, maybe cool for a small child, but at the same time it has a stage that's a Metal Gear parody, so I'm not sure who's their target audience.

The art style is fine, same for music. It runs well and didn't encountered a single bug but it's just too shallow. I feel that if they had gone with a sandbox Goat Simulator style game they could have something special here, dividing it in small stages was a bad decision.

If you enjoyed Donut County you might enjoy it.

5.5/10

• Just finished ICO (PS3 remaster)... and I can't believe how good this game is! There's no better example of a game's quality being more than the sum of its parts.

First of all, Bluepoint must have done something with the controls and such, because I think this controls way better than TLG and the SOTC remake. I can't believe that the OG version would control like this. I never got really annoyed during the platforming parts, and while "controlling" Yorda around can be a bit finicky, it never gets worse than slowing me down for a few seconds. Same thing for the camera. I was surprised about the fixed cameras at first, but it turned out great for me. It made the game look way more cinematic without bothering the gameplay too much.

The castle's atmosphere is top notch. It feels empty/deserted, but in this sinister kind of way. It would have been so uncomfortable for me to explore on my own. It's also backed up by very effective ambiance and a handful of creepy tracks. The design of the castle is also pretty great, especially considering that all of castle's sections feels like they're actually connected and existing in a real world.

Story wise, it's definitely Ueda-san's most minimalist work. I really like that Yorda's personality is mostly shown through her mannerisms, like shaking her head frantically when I keep bugging her to follow me up a path she can't take. I also love that I can see the main character and Yorda asleep on the couch whenever I return to the game after loading a save file, it's super cute.

I think this is a unpopular opinion, but Ico is easily Ueda-san's finest game for me. I have no noteworthy complaints about it. Absolute masterpiece. (10/10)

• For some reason I thought that Rain/Lost in the Rain is going to be a 2D platformer, but coming off Ico, this turned out to be a very familiar territory. First of all, this game looks quite amazing. The art style holds up quite well, and the rain effects (reflections especially) look incredible. The style of the UI and menus are eye catchingly minimalistic. I also like the children storybook-esque feel of the presentation, although I don't really like the narrative texts that kept appearing. The game also felt longer than it should, mostly because of the levels in the middle act of the game that felt complacent and flat. It had a great start and end though. The game controls well, never really had a problem with the platforming. It's quite the neat game, definitely worth a try despite it being a bit lacking in the level design department. Also, big points for using "Clair de Lune" very well, I really like that the game keeps teasing it right till the end.

(7/10)

• Eastshade

Imagine Skyrim but instead of killing stuff you are a painter visiting an island with the objective of fulfilling your dead mother's wish of painting her favourite spots. It's much shorter than Skyrim too, 10ish hours.

Really, really chill game, nails exploration and the feel of getting to know a new place, people and culture. Great world design and although the graphics aren't ground breaking the art style is pretty solid. It has no waypoints but overall mission structure is smart enough to keep you focused, also it doesn't overwhelm the player with a billion quests.

Beautiful soundtrack and environmental sound design. Does a great job in making the world feel like a real place.

A bit buggy and technically very limited with an abundance of small annoyances. Pretty much like Skyrim. You don't get to ride a horse but you get a bicycle that feels awesome.

Despite the technical limitations a special game.

8/10