Last game you finished

• Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters (PS2)

At first I thought it was alright, got a lot of nostalgia vibes for the first Ratchet out of it but the difficulty becomes insanely broken by the second half of the game. Your weapons barely do any demage even if they are fully upgraded. You need to waste all your ammo from one weapon just to kill a basic enemy and enemies take atleast one third of your health away when you get hit. Some attacks from the final boss killed me in 1 hit. I really can't understand why they balanced it so poorly, it makes the game horrible. Otherwise it would have been a fine game.

• I've been bad about keeping up with the forums lately! Today I Finally finished up

Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy (PS4)

It's one I remember playing a demo for over and over on Xbox when my buddy and I used to get monthly magazines with them included, and I was always stoked to play it someday. I've got to say that the port is a little poor; text doesn't scroll at all for mission or ability information, the widescreen is forced and is basically just a zoomed in 4:3 image so some guns are cut off, and camera sensitivity needed to be changed in a couple levels or the game would break. But overall, despite those things, I still really enjoyed playing it. It has its share of dumb bad missions, but they're circumvented by the fact that it's so much fun to fill out a blank slate Jedi as you see fit. Lightsaber combat doesn't really hold up in my opinion for the most part. It was difficult to tell whether I was doing poorly because I wasn't skilled enough or if the game just didn't handle close combat well. I had to constantly keep a save every minute or two in case I got hit once in the wrong place and died. It's really tough for me to tell if that's an issue with the remaster though, or the game being dated in general.

All gripes aside though, I still feel positive about the game. There are a cool and wide variety of missions to encourage different play styles. My favorite had a dude take your lightsaber away and try to hunt you down "Most Dangerous Game" style while you sneak around a base picking up equipment as you go. The best missions really shine and the worst ones just really stink. But it also makes me want another game with this concept of making your own Jedi the way you want in a non-Bioware style game. I'd absolutely dig a modern sequel or a Deus-Ex style sort of thing with a lot of the ideas this game brought up. I recommend it, but it's probably just better to play it on OG consoles or if you grab it on Steam.

• @e_zed_eh_intern You forgot a digit. You meant to say 20/10.

• @ozymandsss Only a joke. The more I think about it, the more it blows my mind that this is a SNES game. I've always felt that there was a big jump in JRPGs from 16 to 32-bit but this game, beyond no cutscenes of course, could easily be mistaken for a PS1 game. 20/10 indeed.

• Finished Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception for the first time in a decade a few days ago. I know Uncharted 3 is possibly the most polarizing game in the series but I think it's fantastic. Weapons really sound thunderous if you put some headphones on-I'm afraid of waking people up when I play it at night. Hard mode isn't too tough if you don't get careless which is surprising to me because I didn't think I'd be able to beat it on that difficulty. I could try beating all the Uncharted games on veteran but I don't feel like losing my sanity.

• @jdincinerator said in Last game you finished:

I could try beating all the Uncharted games on veteran but I don't feel like losing my sanity.

as someone who did that for all the platinums, please don't do that, lol

• @bam541 Good advice.

• @jdincinerator

The first Uncharted that I've ever played. There is still no set-piece as gorgeous as

the plane

one; the most ''I'm playing a movie'' scene of all time.

• @scotty That bit reminds me of the Uncharted 3 Subway commercial.

• Psychonauts

My first time playing it. I can see why so many people have this game as one of their all time favourites. Of course being a 3D platformer from 2005 there's issues, overall it controls well enough but I do feel that when it relies too much on the platforming is less enjoyable then when is more of an action/adventure game.

Really enjoyed the classic adventure roots with the use of item based puzzles, on the other hand, for all the praise it gets I think the writing is not the best work from Tim Schaefer, far from it.

In all honesty I'll take the psvr Psychonauts over this, mostly for the writing, but this was still a cool experience and got me hyped for Psychonauts 2.

• @phbz

Definitely one of my favorites in the way that it switches up what you do in different levels in a really old school Lucas Arts sort of Adventure game way, but I also recognize it is probably pretty dated in a lot of ways.

What did you play it on out of curiosity? Certain platforms performed way better than others so I was curious if that may be why the platforming was less fun in your case (or if it was just a personal enjoyment factor)

• @happygaming Played it on the SeriesX.

It's just not a very precise platformer and feels like more play testing was needed to smooth the level design. But this is a 15yo game so I don't want to be too judgemental. I does hold up well but it lacks some polish for modern standards.

The writing on the other hand was disappointing considering Tim's previous works.

The game had a bit of trouble during development and I think it shows. Still I can see how someone at the right age playing it in 2005 could be mindblown by it since no doubt there's a lot of fresh ideas and creativity here.

• RiME

I think if you're a fan of Journey, Abzu, The Last Guardian and that kind of game you can't go wrong with this one. One of my favourite titles from last gen and I decided to replay it just to check if my feelings towards it still hold... I really really love this game!

First of all I adore the atmosphere. The world is so peaceful and relaxing, particularly initially, it gives strong Mediterranean summer vibes. Then you have the ruins and temples very reminiscent of classical and ancient Roman architecture. Reminds me of childhood holidays.

I think it's nearly perfectly paced. Although you have absolutely no hud, the game establishes a simple language that guides the player effortlessly through the game and puzzle difficulty is on point too. They're accessible, but not "put the eagle medallion in the eagle statue" easy, with just the right amount of challenge to make you pause for a while, read the environment and reach a solution quickly. And when the solution isn't immediately obvious usually the level design will take you where you need to be. Imo this type of design is a must for this kind of game, prioritising fluidity over difficulty to assure a smooth progression, while maintaining some level of challenge.

Music is done by the same guy who did Hellblade and Arise, David Garcia Diaz. This was my first contact with his work and I immediately became a fan. Great composer and sound designer.

Unfortunately even now in the SeriesX it's a game that suffers from performance issues, with some sections where the frame rate drops hard.

Shout out to Damiani's review which I agree with 99%. Except regarding the visual glitches he reported on PC which I had none on console.

Youtube Video

• @phbz

Really curious about this one, will check it out sometime.

• @bam541 said in Last game you finished:

@jdincinerator said in Last game you finished:

I could try beating all the Uncharted games on veteran but I don't feel like losing my sanity.

as someone who did that for all the platinums, please don't do that, lol

I second this. I beat Uncharted Drakes Fortune and Uncharted 2 on "Crushing" for the Platinum's and even with some cheese tactics, it's just not a fun extra-hard mode. One might say its... crushing...

• Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Switch)

I really love Bowser's Fury. It takes elements from a lot of different 3D Mario games and throws it into one. The course objectives from 64/Sunshine, the open world of Odyssey and the mechanics from 3D World. It's a Mario collect-a-thon without any interuption.
    Plus everything is a cat!

Super Mario 3D World is also still a fantastic game. The variety in its level design still impresses me a lot. I never played it before in co-op but now I played through it with my girlfriend and I must say it does a much better job with it's multplayer than the New Super Mario series. She's not a gamer and we struggle a lot playing New Super Mario but in 3D World everything is fine. We had a great time.

• NieR Replicant Ver.1.22474487139... (PS4)
    It is quite a great experience. I love the story, characters, atmosphere, art style and soundtrack. There are definitely some great gameplay segments and boss fights but the gameplay does get too repetitive. It doesn't help that you all the time need to go back to the same areas.
    I never played the original Nier and didn't know about the differences between these versions and I must say that I was surprised that one of the questlines is new for the version. It fits really well with the rest of the game and if I didn't do my research after finishing Nier I would have never known.

Mega Man 5 (PS4)
    This and Mega Man 6 were always the most forgettable games in the series for me. So forgettable that playing though it now it felt like it was my first time playing it. I actually thought it was pretty fun. It has a good difficulty level, not too easy and not too hard. But most of the stages really have nothing interesting going on.

• The Wild at Heart

Recommend this one for anyone with Gamepass. Very inspired in Pikmin but unlike Pikmin this one has a gorgeous hand-drawn art style and great character design.

The combat, except for the final boss, is somewhat lacking and it has a crafting system that for the most part is unnecessary. I really appreciate that's not very heavy on crafting but I ended up not needing to use crafting with very few exceptions, so it feels a bit redundant.

But to me the high point is really the world and how dense it is with environmental puzzles that you need to solve to keep progressing. Also much to my liking you can explore things as you please and the game it self will block your progression according to the "powers" you have. Nothing new really but it's done in a way that feels organic, intuitive and rewarding to explore.

Great music too.

8/10

• Nier: Replicant ver 1.22... (Xbox One)
    Never played anything in the series and this one absolutely convinced me to try out more. Gets a bit repetitive but the additional story bits given through NG+ cycles made it worth it (to me). But it's probably not everybody's cup of tea, because of the mix of classic JRPG tropes with some pretty crazy stuff you won't find anywhere else (except for maybe Automata).

Limbo & Inside (PC)
    I still remember the hype over Limbo when it came out but I didn't feel like it really lived up to it. Apart from the style and the atmosphere, I didn't find it particularly memorable.
    Inside on the other hand was pretty good. Not perfect, but it ironed out many mistakes that happend in Limbo such as story, controls and most puzzles.

• Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition
    Fun game with almost too many abilities for my old brain. A couple of times I got stuck at parts because I was forgetting about an ability and trying to do it the super hard way without realizing it. Idiot. Bash was a lot of fun (pun intended) and completing each room of the final dungeon felt like a serious accomplishment. My biggest gripe with the game is the chase sequences as they all felt very trail and error and beyond my cognitive ability to complete first try. Still a good game but one I will likely never return to. I am also in no rush to jump right into the sequel right now so I guess I got a bit burnt out. 511 deaths, 95% completion. 7.5/10