Last game you finished

• @phbz lol same, the game gave a lot of chances to hug him too.

• Bloodroots- Ended up really enjoying this one even though my controller nearly went through the TV in anger a few times. Even got an achievement for dying 100 times in one encounter. Saying that the game is a fair challenging without being cheap. Gameplay is so satisfying & doesn't outsay its welcome. Only 1.30% completion rate on Xbox doesn't look like many people stick with it.

• Death's Door

For €20 this is almost mandatory. Clearly inspired by Zelda and Dark Souls but with its own character. Accessible while presenting some challenge, great focus on exploration, elevated by excellent level design and a ton of secrets to discover. Controls like a dream.

The graphics and art style are great with some nice details. Really can't point a negative on the visuals. Interesting world and characters.

Generally I like games that dare not to use a map but here I feel like it needs one. The levels are so interconnected and packed with stuff to unlock that I feel a map could help a lot to keep things in check.

But my biggest nitpick is with the sound/music which surprised me since I've heard several people praising it. I get that, the music is fine I guess but the game has music playing non stop and this is the kind of game that I much rather have an atmospheric approach than musical. This really prevented me from enjoying the game more as it disconnects me from the world.

Still a great game that we might see getting some shoutouts coming goty season.

8/10

• Raji

Lords have mercy. My grandmother used to say "hell is full of good intentions" that's this game. And it's a shame because there's some talent and quality here except for gameplay being a complete disaster.

Bad and underdeveloped platforming, puzzles with 0 challenge and easily some of the worst combat I've played in the last 10 years or so. Shocking really.

Good music and great lore based on Hindu tradition, solid art direction too for the most part. Deserved better (any at all) directing and gameplay standards.

4/10

• @phbz Ohhh a little harsh, but you're spot on. Its pretty, has a great soundtrack and lore, but the gameplay is undercooked. I'd be keeping an eye out to see what this developer does next seems that they have some talent, just needs a little refinement. Pretty ambitious for a small indie studio.

• @paulmci27 Honestly I would be ok with most of the issues but that combat it's just a big no. Maybe it's because I came from playing Death's Door, Raji was just shocking.

But no doubt there's talent in that studio. I feel like they need to plan their next project more in line with what they are good at, which here they did not.

• I just saw that they released an Enhanced Edition this week actually, maybe it fixes some of the issues you had with it?

Youtube Video

• Oh damn that's just terrible timing.

• This may sound quite contradictory to the game's title, but when Last Stop ended I didn't want it to stop. The story is handled so intriguingly, I found the John Smith storyline to be hilarious, and that final chapter really pulls you into something you really were not expecting. I love games that take you through a whirlwind of a ride, where the ending feels totally different from the beginning-and Last Stop nails that brilliantly. Gameplay is passive and barely exists besides
    the minor interactions of tapping a button to answer questions or walking/running from one environment to another-as well as context sensitive cues and itty bitty mini games. Visually Last Stop is jagged but seeing how London and English customs are represented-really makes me think that Americans are going to get a trustworthy glimpse into what Britishness is in the game's own miniature depiction of it. Anyway Likes and Gripes time:
    +John's daughter is hilarious
    +A decent and admirable structure and presentation

Gripes
    -Passive and minimalistic gameplay
    -Looks jagged
    -Sweet but short

Overall-7.6/10

• @phbz I've started playing Psychonauts and I feel similarly to you that it's a really lovely little platformer/actioner. Yet I was playing through the Basic Braining and I really had trouble swinging on the poles. Initially I got to the top where I'd be greeted by poles separated by bursts of flames emitting from the vents in the walls-but as I swing up atop towards the square platform on the left, it's as though the game doesn't recognise that I'm trying to clamber towards it-then I slide down and have to trying swinging up to it again. Such an irritating problem in an otherwise wonderful little game.

• This post is deleted!

• The Ascent

After the reviews came out I was left thinking this wasn't worth to try but at the same time some people I value their opinion praised it so I had to give it a chance.

To be honest I loved it. The art direction is just stunning and the world so dense and full of detail, that's hard to believe this was done by a team of 12.

Great lore work with plenty to read Mass Effect style. I didn't read every entry but the ones describing the history of the different areas of this futuristic mega city are great to build a sense of place.

Story becomes interesting as the game progresses but on the last third kinda rushes to the end and it's a shame.

Incredible music that won't disappoint any Blade Runner fan.

Combat is excellent, intense twin stick shooter action with the cool twist of introducing cover and different heights for shooting. Fun to explore the synergies between the different weapons and powers.

Biggest problem... well there's weird balance issues and just insane level gating. For example, you might have a level 12 side mission that makes you cross a level 18 area. And occasionally you'll have something like a level 2 side mission that's locked behind a door you'll only have access once you finish a level 8 main mission. Honestly it's insanity. The best way to deal with this issues, which worked perfectly for me, ignore your own level and assume the level asked for your main story mission is your real level. Using this approach made the game a breeze, killing most bosses at my first try. Except the final encounter which completely destroyed me due to my build not being "compatible" with that specific scenario, which is silly since I for the most part cleared the whole map and made my upgrades. Just another silly balance issue.

I honestly liked it and would love to see a sequel going deeper on its RPG side and story. And the insane design issues ironed too. A diamond in the rough.

8/10

• @phbz Pretty fair assessment. 8 is about right. Great game, flaws can't be ignored though. I've heard some complaints that it's to hard. As someone who's average at games at best I'm not buying it. I'm told co-op isn't great

• @paulmci27 I've heard co-op is broken in many ways.

Some of the bad reviews I've seen makes me wonder if the pre release version was significant different from what I've played because it's like they are talking of another game. But on the other hand people like ACG and SkillUp also played that version, so I don't really know what's going on.

• Omno

Very chill 3h/4h puzzle platformer.

Graphics are very simple but the soundtrack does much of the heavy lifting when it comes to mood and it's quite good.

Very simple and accessible puzzles but satisfying in how intuitive they are and from a design perspective they are well made.

It's funny because as you start the game you have your character holding a spear, which led me to expect some form of combat and there's absolutely no violence in this game.
    You go from area to area, each area being open but quite small, and there you have to get 3 balls of light out of 5 or 6 available, which makes them optional but I saw no reason to not go for all of them. You have also texts to collect but as they're all similar variations on "follow the light yada yada" there's little insensitive to go for them.

Each area introduces a new ability and they tend to be cooler and cooler as you progress, pretty much like the game only gets better the further you progress.

Biggest negative is the performance on the SeriesX, very unstable frame rate.

A wonderful little game that left me wanting for more.

7/10

• @phbz I've been curious about this game, glad to know you liked it.

• @bam541 You came to mind while I was playing. I think you might enjoy it.

• @phbz Played Omno myself its a cool little chill game. I'm worried how easy I can be manipulated though. A cute character and a sweeping soundtrack is all it takes. Fans of Journey or Ryme would probably enjoy this. Surprised it did run well,on the X I didn't seem to have any problems on the (for casual gamers only) S. Maybe the lower res helped it run smoother.

• @paulmci27 I honestly think it's a well designed game but yeah having a nice soundtrack and letting you pet your companion certainly helps.

Having a game that looks like this dropping frames on a Series X is kinda silly, it would be cool to have access to the S version.

• Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War (Campaign)

So I wasn't planning to play this anytime soon but my brother bought a copy, and hey, it's already here so I can't resist.

It's a short one, at like 6-7 hours, but it felt very dense and full. The pacing is blockbuster-ly fast, with few points to sidetrack. The missions themselves are quite varied, jumping between espionage stealth and classic kill-em-all guns blazing. Individually these parts are quite short, and the game rarely stays too long on one section. There's one espionage part in particular later in the game that is pretty sick, since it has multiple ways to progress and the level design reminds me of the Deus Ex games, albeit at a far smaller scale. Overall I'm pretty impressed with the gameplay. It's not a one to one comparison, but while playing it I thought about Uncharted 2 a lot, I guess mostly because of the absolute insistence of these two games to maintain a "perfect" pace.

The story starts out pretty tame, but at a certain point it goes a bit crazy, like Black Ops stories tend to go. There's parts where you can make decisions to get 2 different endings (or 3 if you count an alternate version of one of them), which is pretty neat. There's one ending I'm sure someone like Kyle would enjoy. It reminds me of the way Injustice 2's singleplayer handled the endings. I think the story is just okay, it's definitely not as good as the other Black Ops games. It's more about the cool scenarios that the game takes you in.

Technically the game is quite great. It's not the best looking next-gen title but it certainly can impress at times, especially in some of the more atmospheric levels, like the Berlin level. Also, the adaptive triggers implementation on DualSense is really fun. On the other hand, I'm docking some points because of the way the game handles the campaign part. Like, I got a physical version of the game and I have to download the campaign separately in order to play it, which kinda feels insulting tbh.

I think the best way to sum the campaign up is that it's a solid vertical slice of modern AAA action adventures. As you would expect from CoD these days, it's not very original, but It's certainly a fun time if, like myself, you enjoy these kind of games. (7.5/10)