Last game you finished

• Judgment

Here are my likes and gripes:
    +An enticing legalistic bent to the Yakuza formula,
    +Some great and engrossing story and side missions,
    +The Yakuza beat em up style is wonderfully gratifying and is flavored up well.

Gripes
    -Fighting thugs gets really draining thanks to the random encounters,
    -The differentiating legal stuff gets bogged down by boring tail missions and basic investigation sequences,
    -Still the same old stylishness that we've seen countless times before.

Overall
    7.6/10

• Kena: Bridge of Spirits

+An incredibly luscious and tranquil game to look at,
    +Soundtrack is quite pleasant,
    +The flourishes to combat are pretty swell.

Gripes
    -Characters are flat and unappealing,
    -Platforming can get frustrating at times,
    -Generally doesn't live up to how gorgeous the game is-as lovely to look as it is forgettable.

Overall
    7.3/10

• Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee (Switch)

-Great signature Oddworld story and writing
    -Not as frustrating as the 2D Oddworld games

Gripes
    -Can get very repetitive
    -Environments are very bland

• Alan Wake Remastered

+Great story with a gratifyingly horrific bent,
    +Shining a light on enemies and then blasting them with the revolver never gets old,
    +A great soundtrack.

Gripes
    -Gets bogged down in repetition way too much,
    -He may be called Alan Wake but his voice put you to sleep,
    -Does the bare minimum for a remaster.

Overall
    6.8/10

• Lost Judgment
    Main story is surprisingly shorter than I expected but it's still good even if I prefer the 1st game's story.
    Majority that people hated in the 1st game got fixed or improved so there are less annoyance around. The side missions are solid but the school ones are good and great playoff doing all of them.
    Really good characters again though some don't appear as much as I hoped.
    Still one of the better games of the year and definitely worth playing.
    [8 1/2]

• JETT: The Far Shore. I wrote a longer review here, but to put it simply, it's a really cool sci-fi adventure with existential and spiritual elements, and I loved it despite rough edges here and there. Flying the Jett is one of the best feeling vehicles I've ever driven in a videogame. This is one of those times where I strongly disagree with the critical reception. Definitely one of my faves of the year. (9/10)

• Just completed the Far Cry 6 story after about 30 hours and I feel better about my overall view of the game from my initial impressions. Anyway here are them likes and gripes:

-The missions where you invade ships are the highlights of the game,
    -You do warm up to the band of characters after a while,
    -Yara really is a luscious setting,
    -It's good that there's a speaking protagonist and the option to choose gender,
    -The music is entrenched in the celebration of Hispanic culture.
    -Anton Castillo is a compelling villain.

Gripes
    -Same old Ubisoft foibles spring up time and again including a huge map, loads of missions where you shoot and blow stuff up and questionable player agency,
    -The constant use of Spanish slang and the slant on "guerilla" really grates-just sounds like the game is trying too hard to be authentically Hispanic,
    -Whilst the characters are an interesting bunch their personalities kinda bind together,
    -Lots of instances where the dialogue is just flat-out dumb.
    -Anton Castillo isn't as good as previous Far Cry Villains despite being compelling.

Overall
    7.0/10

• Sable

Cool exploration focused game with great sound design and music. The art style is very unique and if I had to vote for it, it was going to be my pick for best looking game of the year. Gorgeous.

Gameplay takes a lot from BotW, but without any kind of combat. Story is mostly used to start things up and set you on your journey - a ritual of passage to adulthood. You'll come across some interesting characters and small stories but the world is the main star in how mysterious it feels and how visuals and sound work together to elevate it.

On the negative side there's performance issues and animation glitches, but it has improved since release.

8.5/10

• @phbz This might be next on my docket. Can I ask how long it took you to beat it?

• @demonpirate It took me around 15 hours. But I spent more time than needed just enjoying the world and sound design.

• Metroid Dread (Switch)

-Great at guiding you where to go without straight up telling you
    -Great movement and abilities, I escpecially like the added ability to dash
    -Nice detailed map screen

Gripes
    -Lots of repeat boss fights
    -Bosses deal too much damage
    -Music is a bit disappointing for a Metroid game

• Silpheed (Mega CD)

-Great soundtrack
    -Good difficulty level and pacing

Gripes
    -Gameplay is nothing special, plays like your standard shoot 'em up but there are no interesting bosses or weapons or anything like that

• Metroid Dread

I got this recurring image that kept popping into my mind while playing Dread. It’s this caricature of a drummer that starts playing a solo in the middle of a song, the band is jamming, the crowd going wild, but the drummer keeps escalating things, the crowd slowly stops dancing, the band stops playing, and everybody is now silently watching the drummer, thinking if he will ever stop his showing off. This is me and the level design here. I mean, it’s quite spectacular how complex the layout is, how level gating is flawless, how things interconnect… but above all it’s just too much - it’s that drummer doing his wild solo to the detriment of everything else. Exploration is one of the most important aspects in this type of game and in all honesty, I really didn’t enjoy it that much here. There’s no flow to it, you are kept mostly on a linear path, the EMMI sections are a chore and frequently you are forced to jump between areas. To make things worse, the world feels awfully generic, there’s little unpredictability, you quickly learn all that the game has to give you and the work in lore and world building is miserable by todays standards. It also doesn’t help that the very little there’s to the story you can figure the twist in the first 5 minutes and that the second twist is an old and tired trope. Having invisible blocks as your main way to progress, outside of “using the X weapon for the X door” is not exactly stimulating either. Having introduced an handful of logical/environmental puzzles could help.

Also, I have to say it. Legacy or not, this is easily the worst double jump in recent memory. I was wondering why on earth were they taking so much time to introduce it but thankfully once they did they quickly made it obsolete with the Space Jump. Would appreciate to be able to use the right joystick for aiming.

OK, but did I enjoy it? Kinda sound like I didn’t, right? I did, I did enjoy it but I am having trouble to quantify it to myself, because while in my heart I feel like this was a good game, when I analyse it I feel conflicted. For instance, combat and difficulty. It took me 12 hours to beat the game, outside bosses or EMMI sections, I died once. Makes me wonder why the hundreds of enemies I had to kill existed, outside of the serotonin reward. On the other hand, I loved the boss fights, while still accessible, it was a pleasure to learn their patterns, it felt rewarding.

Progression is great. I’m a big proponent of games letting you feel overpowered and once you get the Space Jump the way as you basically become invulnerable and able to fly through the levels it’s just good fun. Most combat was already redundant so giving you more power doesn’t hurt it.

I LOVE the sound design. This is one of the reasons that made me appreciate the game more. Having a more atmospheric approach is the perfect choice IMO, as it drives the game not through melody or rhythm but rather through mood. But it’s not just the approach that’s the right one, it’s the damn execution! From ADAM’s near perfect EQ and discrete reverb, to the way as music and sound effects work together in the EMMI sections, is near flawless (but the EMMI sections still suck, I want to be clear about it!!). Integration of classic Metroid sound/music within the modern framework is well executed too.

I was somewhat critical of the art direction/graphics when it was first revealed. I was wrong, I think it’s great. It still feels weird to know that this game will probably sell millions at 60$ a pop while a game like Ori is still able to deliver a more impressive final result but… I was wrong, the visuals work great. Samus looks stunning.

I feel like Dread exists in a weird space that prevents it from being truly great. As a Metroid game, the introduction of the EMMI sections are a detriment and as a new game that came out in 2021 some of its legacy design make it a lesser product by modern standards. But it is a GOOD brand-new Metroid game in 2021. I can totally get why fans are ecstatic, if Half-Life 3 were to be a thing I would be too even if it had comparable issues.

I was more inclined to a 7.5 but the last two battles and the general mood of the game pushed me to an 8.

8/10

• The Procession to Calvary

Fan of Monty Python, classical music and renaissance painting? Look no more!

OK, it's not a great Point n Click game.

The writing is genuinely funny, art style directly inspired by renaissance art and beautiful classical pieces as your soundtrack, it's definitely worth to invest 3/4h hours in.

It's really a shame that it commits the sin of being too obtuse in some of its puzzles but even if you have to use a guide it's worth it.

6.5/10

• We finished It Takes Two with my friend.

I can agree all the praise about gameplay variety even though towards the end it didn't impressed me as much. Story is weak and ending is really bad. After The Way Out I would like to have a good story with a strong ending than this average story with really unimpressive closure.

As a gamer who puts story in front of every aspect I prefer The Way Out than this even though It Takes Two has a lot more gameplay elements. Cody and May were stale and evolution of their relatonship wasn't satisfying at all. Also game never gets better than

Killing the elephant toy

All in all, second best co-op game I've ever played. Congrutalions to team at Hazelight and Joseph Fares. They really put their mind on how to make a game that changes every time with a new level and this is rare to see in video games recently. The Way Out is still number one though. I'm pretty sure this isn't going to be my GOTY contender.

Good