Last game you finished

• Rage

Oh lord, what an interesting game. I've never seen such a terrible texture work, same with the sound design. Atrocious stuff.

Overall it feels like a collection of interesting ideas and every single one of them underdeveloped. It could have been an awesome streamlined Fallout game but in the end is but a draft of that. I did enjoy it, more as a curiosity than for its own merits.

6/10

• Finished MGS2: Sons of Liberty. I can't exactly say that it's better than MGS1 in every way, but I certainly like this way more, which says a lot about this game already. It's a great game, and above all, a spectacular sequel. The last few hours of this game will stick with me forever. Wrote a longer review here. (9.5/10)

Right now this is my favorite MGS game. Excited to try out MGS3 next!

• @bam541 I feel many MGS fans are too hard on MGS2 because of Raiden but I think it's an extraordinary game, so damn hilarious at parts whilst managing to be immensely deep and interesting.

• Kena: Bridge of Spirits (PS5)

I thought it was a really fun game. A bit Zelda like, a bit Souls like and a bit like a collect-a-thon platformer. Some good level design, puzzles and bosses. Tha graphics are fantastic. I enjoyed it all the way through.

• Halo Infinite

How weird is it that 343 not only managed to make something out of the apparent disaster that was Infinite but they also ended up releasing a goty contender while elevating Halo's gameplay to best ever in the series?

There's definitely some rough edges here but outside from the stuttering on the cinematics most of them require a cynical eye to be a real concern, I say this because usually I was just too busy with the brilliant emergent combat and completely drawn in the moment to moment elegance of Infinite. From the bigger battles to the smaller encounters, the amount of memorable unique moments that emerge from the systems in place is just a thing of beauty.

Sound design and music are superb. The dialogue lines from the Grunts are honestly one of the most brilliant things I've seen in a game. Such diversity and wonderful comedic writing.

As negative. Towards the end as you abandon the open world it falls in the same trap of more repetitive locations and fights the series always had since its inception. Characters are not great, particularly the Banished are straight up Saturday morning cartoon trash.

Story is OK, some parts are good others not at all. It generally works. It doesn't gets close to Reach but it's kind of on par with the rest of the series (from CE to 4).

9/10

Hard to give it a score, but gameplay being so great makes me inclined towards a 9, although an 8.5 would be more correct.

• @phbz said in Last game you finished:

How weird is it that 343 not only managed to make something out of the apparent disaster that was Infinite but they also ended up releasing a goty contender while elevating Halo's gameplay to best ever in the series?

i wouldn't say its the best ever in the series. but halo infinite is defintely the best Halo game 343 has ever put out. i still prefer halo 2 and 3

A for effort though

• Star Wars Episode I Battle for Naboo (N64)

It's basically Rogue Squadron but based on The Phantom Menace. It's just as good as the Rogue Squadron game.
    There are some annoying missions though that are insanely difficult but overal I enjoyed this game a lot.

I also really liked the N64 version of the The Phantom Menace soundtrack.

• The Gunk

OKest game of the year.

You vacuum gunk on an alien planet as a way to unlock your progression. That's the game.

Runs smoothly, looks fine. Everything else is just the most average game I can think of and it is so in a way that feels almost intentional.

Disappointing, I was hoping for something better, a good sci-fi adventure with a chill mood. Music is cool but goes nowhere, same with level design, characters, story and gameplay loop. Again it not bad in anyway, just a flat line.

6.5/10

• Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy

Before conquering Eidos Montreal's version of Guardians of the Galaxy I decided to scythe my way through Telltale's five-part series and found it to be very pleasing if it was mechanically the same sort of Telltale series we've seen many times previously.

Now that I've completed 2021's action adventure take on Guardians of the Galaxy, I'm left feeling satisfied but blimey it's exhausting. I love the cinematic flare, the comedy, the character banter, the epic story, the homely nostalgic nods, the raucous 80s tunes and the exciting moments.

Unfortunately this powerhouse leviathan has been left addled by a bolt-like rock to the forehead thanks to the overbearing amount of resistance the game throws at you time after time.

I understand that to truly feel like a guardian of the galaxy you need to be met with an armada of evil-doers so you can truly feel the power and the ass-kicking magic of Quill's quintet, but often times it becomes way too much to ignore.

The diversity of enemy attacks I take issue with also, they seem to possess the same tactics over and over and they feel like rank and file to such an extent fighting them feels meaningless and the game's rhythm is constantly bombarded with needless battles it's hard to take.

Anyway to sum up here are the likes and gripes:
    +Brilliant banter and comedy from the cast
    +The entwining powers of the Guardians is pretty sweet to see in action

Gripes
    -Overbearing onslaught of enemies,
    -Light-puzzles are forgettable and dull,
    -Pacing gets muddled towards the end.

Overall
    7.7/10

• Halo infinite

Its ok playing part but level design is dull, boring and empty open world and gameplay still didnot evolved.

it suffer from variety and having underwelmingly story. Halo 1 and 3 aboslutely destroy it and im not even Halo fan.

its 6/10.

• Grand Theft Auto III Definitive Edition (PS4)

I only heard bad things about it but I actually think it is quite good. Though I know they updated it a lot since launch.
    The graphics are nothing to write home about, it looks like a PS2 game in HD. I really enjoyed all of the quality of life changes, that really makes the game for me.

About GTA3 itself. It feels very different from all the games that came after it and I really like it. It feels similar to the 2D GTA games in its mission design, meaning there is a big focus on driving and missions are less scripted. The map design is still the best in the series. Also this is more made for driving. Feels more like a map for Burnout Paradise than a modern day GTA. With a lot of shortcuts and ramps.

• Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies.

I wrote a longer review here. TLDR: this game's pretty fucking great. Holds up amazingly despite later games in the series being better at many aspects. It's an easy game to enjoy immediately since the design here is pretty simple and straightforward. (8.5/10)

• Stardew Valley

Kinda forced by my GF to play this. She has hundreds of hours on her phone so with it coming to GP we had to play co-op.

It's a near perfect game where we dropped 30 something hours without noticing. Although I don't think I'll play much more but it's a really chill game that came with perfect timing to compensate our disappointment with It Takes Two. (nothing really wrong with itt, mostly my gf didn't adapt well to the gameplay and we weren't enjoying the writing and characters)

Taking care of crops and going through the mines are my favourite things to do. I don't care much about offering stuff to the villagers mostly because I don't like how you have to navigate menus constantly to see who's who and what they want. A lot of minor quality of life adjustments needed.

8.5/10

Mass Effect Le

My favourite ME kinda hurts with the update. It surely looks and plays better but it also exposes how dull and dated the level design is. Still my favourite. I love the writing, how it deals with sci-fi and mystery. And how well it establishes characters and universe for the series.

My first hot take of 22. I really love the Makko. Clunky as fuck but... Being able to visit desolate exoplanets never fails to move me. Specially because although very simple stuff, the writing in the descriptions is great and ignites my imagination as an astronomy nerd.

9/10

• Lake

Tried the "E3" demo last summer and it seemed like an interesting game that needed some polish before being released. Disappointingly nothing really changed and it should have stayed more time in the oven.

It's basically a mail delivery simulator. It does a good job at telling a story that flows organically without the need of gimmicks but it's a shame that it's kinda of ugly and towards the end the quality of the writing drops. To the point that right at the end I made two choices that should be incompatible and the game just ignored it.

Really disliked the music. If there was more variety it would be tolerable but I ended up switching off the radio most of the time.

No doubt a developer I want to see grow. Would be interesting to see them working with a bigger budget.

6.5/10

• TOEM

I spent the entire morning (British time) playing through Toem and I love just how breezy and invitingly simple it is. Taking photographs of all the creatures and sights is relaxing and good for the soul. I did encounter a strange bug at one point where a conversation was triggered and the camera decided tilt upwards until I was met with a blank screen forcing a restart of the game, and there was a quest that required me to take a photo wherein the objective wasn't entirely clear-but besides these hang-ups Toem is a short and sweet black and white photographic tour.

7.9/10

• TOEM

I spent the entire morning (British time) playing through Toem and I love just how breezy and invitingly simple it is. Taking photographs of all the creatures and sights is relaxing and good for the soul. I did encounter a strange bug at one point where a conversation was triggered and the camera decided tilt upwards until I was met with a blank screen forcing a restart of the game, and there was a quest that required me to take a photo wherein the objective wasn't entirely clear-but besides these hang-ups Toem is a short and sweet black and white photographic tour.

7.9/10

• Grand Theft Auto: Vice City The Definitive Edition (PS4)

This version is pretty ugly. I think it's the worst of the 3 remasters. I do like the quality of life improvements and no loading when travelling between Islands is really nice here because you need to go back and forward a lot between the islands in Vice City.

Vice City is still an incredible game. I think it has the best selection of main missions of any GTA game. The characters are all very memorable. The soundtrack and atmosphere are also amazing. I like how non-linear the storyline is.
    The only thing I don't like is the city. The layout is kinda bad and the downtown area feels very rushed and looks awful.

• Lost Judgment

After completing Judgment in late September, I decided to start and finish Lost Judgment's story in the space of a few days. I certainly think Lost Judgment is superior to the original and I really found more zest and overall satisfaction in the story being told and the side activities are great. It's still fundamentally the same Judgment for better and sometimes for worse but it's a solid improvement. Here are the likes and gripes:

-Compelling story and characters,
    -Cool new side activities, cases and gadgets.

Gripes
    -Retains the same gameplay quirks from Judgment without any significant changes,
    -Chase and snooping sequences still feel lightweight,
    -Random fight encounters are annoyingly relentless.

Overall
    8.0/10

• Mass Effect 2

First of all, Shadow Broker dlc is incredible. So much better than every thing else on ME2.

Not as good as ME1. The crew is stretched too thin, way too many characters and not enough development. The writing is awkward at times.

8.5/10

• Gorogoa

My first time playing it. What a creative puzzle game!

Puzzle games can at times drag too much if the puzzles are too obtuse. I feel like Gorogoa strikes the perfect balance, never letting the player get overwhelmed while keeping some challenge. It's on Game Pass and it takes about 2h to beat. Very unique experience.

8/10