Last game you finished

• TOEM

I spent the entire morning (British time) playing through Toem and I love just how breezy and invitingly simple it is. Taking photographs of all the creatures and sights is relaxing and good for the soul. I did encounter a strange bug at one point where a conversation was triggered and the camera decided tilt upwards until I was met with a blank screen forcing a restart of the game, and there was a quest that required me to take a photo wherein the objective wasn't entirely clear-but besides these hang-ups Toem is a short and sweet black and white photographic tour.

7.9/10

• TOEM

I spent the entire morning (British time) playing through Toem and I love just how breezy and invitingly simple it is. Taking photographs of all the creatures and sights is relaxing and good for the soul. I did encounter a strange bug at one point where a conversation was triggered and the camera decided tilt upwards until I was met with a blank screen forcing a restart of the game, and there was a quest that required me to take a photo wherein the objective wasn't entirely clear-but besides these hang-ups Toem is a short and sweet black and white photographic tour.

7.9/10

• Grand Theft Auto: Vice City The Definitive Edition (PS4)

This version is pretty ugly. I think it's the worst of the 3 remasters. I do like the quality of life improvements and no loading when travelling between Islands is really nice here because you need to go back and forward a lot between the islands in Vice City.

Vice City is still an incredible game. I think it has the best selection of main missions of any GTA game. The characters are all very memorable. The soundtrack and atmosphere are also amazing. I like how non-linear the storyline is.
    The only thing I don't like is the city. The layout is kinda bad and the downtown area feels very rushed and looks awful.

• Lost Judgment

After completing Judgment in late September, I decided to start and finish Lost Judgment's story in the space of a few days. I certainly think Lost Judgment is superior to the original and I really found more zest and overall satisfaction in the story being told and the side activities are great. It's still fundamentally the same Judgment for better and sometimes for worse but it's a solid improvement. Here are the likes and gripes:

-Compelling story and characters,
    -Cool new side activities, cases and gadgets.

Gripes
    -Retains the same gameplay quirks from Judgment without any significant changes,
    -Chase and snooping sequences still feel lightweight,
    -Random fight encounters are annoyingly relentless.

Overall
    8.0/10

• Mass Effect 2

First of all, Shadow Broker dlc is incredible. So much better than every thing else on ME2.

Not as good as ME1. The crew is stretched too thin, way too many characters and not enough development. The writing is awkward at times.

8.5/10

• Gorogoa

My first time playing it. What a creative puzzle game!

Puzzle games can at times drag too much if the puzzles are too obtuse. I feel like Gorogoa strikes the perfect balance, never letting the player get overwhelmed while keeping some challenge. It's on Game Pass and it takes about 2h to beat. Very unique experience.

8/10

• @axel said in Last game you finished:

@Caleb_Aranda You and me both! Secret of Mana is one of my favorite games ever (spoiler for the Top 100 Videogames Ever list!).

Its real-time, action-oriented combat was very original at the time for an RPG, the graphics were colorful, the sprites detailed, everything was leagues above Link to the Past for example. The soundtrack still gives me chills, ranging from jolly to dark to epic to emotional.

I'm so bummed that Square Enix never went back to this series with a proper successor (none of the GBA/DS games had the same charm and quality), and now like you said, it's getting even worse with shitty mobile games.

I recently read a very thorough article on Seiken Densetsu 3 (which would have been Secret of Mana 2 had it ever released in the West), and it made me so nostalgic for it. I'd take a Virtual Console release of that game over Mother 3 any day!

• Hitman 3

This game packs so much content that kinda hurts the general package. To the point that I accidentally started Hitman 1 because silly me assumed Hitman 3 had Hitman 3 front and center of the package.

I really don't like how everything outside the game itself work. Too much stuff going on in the menus and the last thing I want from a game once I finish a story level that so successfully drawn me in, Is to be reminded I'm in a game and have unlocked x, y, j, I and can pick mode w, c, f.

But outside the old man complaints this is a pretty stellar game. I knew it was good but even then it blew my expectations in pretty much every aspect. Just dial down the immersion breaking stuff please. Maybe unlock everything after beating the game?

Hitman games always appealed more to me theoretically than when hands on, but this one made me want to finish 1 and 2.

8.5/10

• @phbz

I haven't played Hitman 3 yet (but I have it downloaded, and it's on my list to play next), but I also strongly disliked the menu's in this new trilogy. In Blood Money, there was a more contextual pre-mission gun selection through an ICA web interface. It was simple and elegant.

These new menu's are a bit guided. It's almost like they are telling me how I should have fun: "Hey, I see you just beat that mission. Now do it again in a clown costume with a sniper rifle and start in the middle of the level!" It's heavy handed and gamey for sure. Also just a bit confusing and overwhelming. The levels can take 1-2 hours to complete then the second you finish it, you're bombarded with XP and Level XP and all sorts of overwhelming unlocks.

• Dragon Age: Origins

It's a role playing game and sort of my all time favorites. I have been playing it since almost 9 years and expecting to play more. It's a wonderful game with complex character choices, and plot weaving.

• Donkey Kong 64 (N64)

I played a bit of it back in the day and didn't think much of it. Since then I've only heard bad things about it, so I was never that interested in playing it again.

Now I've finally decided to play it and I love it. I think it's probably one of the best 3D platformers ever. Switching between characters is really not as bad as it first seems. Also to amount of collectables isn't as overwhelming once you get into it.

The game looks very good for the N64 and even controls great. It has great level design and great bosses. Some of the mini games are bad though and the finale boss is real garbage. It's an extremely long fight without checkpoints, with a time limit and filled with unskippable cutscenes and animations. Dying at the end of it is such a pain.

• Dark Souls

Another play. This was one of my favourite DS experiences. Just had good weed and exploring this world while high was stupendous. It was also a fairly quickly run. Killed most bosses at most at third try, and the final boss took me less than 60 seconds. Which just makes me even more secure of my idea that people should experience souls games as ignorant as possible. Still not entirely sold on 60 FPS for this one.

9.5/10

• @phbz

Dark Souls is one of those games that was so amazing the first time I played it that I wish I could experience it for the first time all over again.

But on the other hand, I get so much satisfaction by being able to beat the game in half the time due to my muscle memory, mental world map, and boss/enemy know how. There is something extra satisfying by just doing everything right the first time and beating it in a short period of time.

The final boss is the only one that still gives me shit. Because despite how much Dark Souls I've played, I never really finish it every single time. More like finish it to 90%. But I'm right there with you, I rarely will go more than 1-2 deaths on a boss and rarely die within the level. Maybe Catacombs cause I have that one memorized the least and I hate them skeles.

• @dipset I still find new stuff and I love that, how deep this game is.

The final boss, I tried using parry for the first and was embarrassinly easy. Took me less than a minute. Which was great, because that final stretch from the bonfire to the final boss is the weakest part of the game imo. It can get super boring.

btw I'm playing DS2 for the first time and I genuinely dislike it. It's not just the worst Souls game, it's not a good game. What do you think about it? Does it get better?

• @phbz

I like to compare Dark Souls II to Call of Duty. If you like COD, you'll like any COD in the sense that it's best in class for aiming and shooting and getting XP dopamine. Dark Souls II is fun in that raw mechanics of Dark Souls are solid.

Beyond that, the game is really flawed. It has a solid foundation but many games have a solid gameplay foundation. It's like DkS II makes so many poor design decisions that it makes you question whether any of this is actually fun in the end.

Some levels had no thought. And I mean no thought whatsoever. I'm not trying to be snarky here. I really mean it—some levels were slapped together like words on paper the night before the essay is due. We're talking doorways to nowhere, aimless empty buildings, just pure grouty ugly eye hurting textures.

alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text

Personally, I have major issues with DkSII. I think the level and enemy design are so bad that it makes entire sections of the game feel painful to progress through. One level is a fog forest with no boss and barely any worthwhile loot which leads to an empty sandy village with a couple of lion guys. There aren't any payoffs for slogging through it.

--

Here is a massive caveat—I've heard the PS4 "Scholar of the First Sin" version is a massive upgrade on the PC/PS3 version. I've heard the art in the levels has better lighting and textures. I've also heard the enemy placement, attacks, and overall patterns is more challenging and thought out.

I downloaded the PS4 version a year ago and haven't touched it yet. I would like to play it one day and see if it turns my outlook on the game around. Based on the PS3 version, I'd give it a 6-6.5/10 but I have a feeling the PS4 version is at least a point or two better.

• Klonoa

Fully completed the game on PS1 again. I'm still torn on which version I prefer, this or the Wii remake. Pushed into a decision I'd likely say this original

• Dying Light 2: Stay Human

I'm not ashamed to admit that I blazed through Dying Light 2's story and I did enjoy what I've played so here are my likes and gripes:
    -Brilliant feedback with weapons and the visceral lethality of the combat is so good
    -Certain missions put parkour to the test in some truly exciting ways but if you're afraid of heights-don't look down!
    -The abilities you acquire do feel worth spending skill points on.
    -The grappling hook and paraglider are very welcome new tools for parkour and general traversal.
    -The beginning starts strong and packs in the intrigue.

Gripes
    -The characters are stale and they don't feel truly embedded into Dying Light 2's post-apocalypse,
    -Typical open-world and mission busywork is plentiful,
    -Needing to hold down buttons to access menu options and objects is so tedious,
    -Parkour platforming can be irksome and imprecise occasionally,
    -Something is lost when the game lets you loose in its open-world.
    Overall
    7.5/10

• Olija

My first impression of this game was not the most positive as it looks kind of atrocious. But while its pixel art rivals my own lack of skills, it quickly stops being an issue, mostly because there's still a strong visual identity that goes hand in hand with the fantastic sound design and music, plus gameplay is fairly tight and smooth.

Olija manages to achieve something I love in a game and that's being an experience that constantly get better and better as you progress. There's always some small new thing being introduced, being items, mechanical variations or levels that disrupt its core loop and add a ton of atmosphere. And atmosphere is something this game excels at. I was not expecting it, given how simple it looks, to be so drawn so much by both its story and world.

It's on Gamepass and it's +-4h to beat. Highly recommend it.

8/10

• Contrast

I remember me wanting to play this back then and being disappointed that it turned out not being great. Of course if we compare it with something like Limbo this is not at all in the same league but now having played it I think it's fine.

It kinda gives me Alice and Psychonauts vibes. It seems obvious that this was a game wrapped around the core idea of jumping between reality and shadows without ever finding its footing when it comes to world and characters. Still I would enjoy a sequel made today, with more thought put into it, and maybe an opportunity to be a pioneer in actually implementing ray-tracing into core game design.

Pretty ok puzzle platformer with some cool moments.

• @phbz This was one of the first (maybe first?) games I've played on the PS4. I didn't beat it and I haven't touched it since but I definitely remember the clunkiness. I could be confusing my excitement with a new system, but I do recall having tons of fun and being sort of in awe.
    I weirdly think about it from time to time for no reason.