Last game you finished

• Donkey Kong 64 (N64)

I played a bit of it back in the day and didn't think much of it. Since then I've only heard bad things about it, so I was never that interested in playing it again.

Now I've finally decided to play it and I love it. I think it's probably one of the best 3D platformers ever. Switching between characters is really not as bad as it first seems. Also to amount of collectables isn't as overwhelming once you get into it.

The game looks very good for the N64 and even controls great. It has great level design and great bosses. Some of the mini games are bad though and the finale boss is real garbage. It's an extremely long fight without checkpoints, with a time limit and filled with unskippable cutscenes and animations. Dying at the end of it is such a pain.

• Dark Souls

Another play. This was one of my favourite DS experiences. Just had good weed and exploring this world while high was stupendous. It was also a fairly quickly run. Killed most bosses at most at third try, and the final boss took me less than 60 seconds. Which just makes me even more secure of my idea that people should experience souls games as ignorant as possible. Still not entirely sold on 60 FPS for this one.

9.5/10

• @phbz

Dark Souls is one of those games that was so amazing the first time I played it that I wish I could experience it for the first time all over again.

But on the other hand, I get so much satisfaction by being able to beat the game in half the time due to my muscle memory, mental world map, and boss/enemy know how. There is something extra satisfying by just doing everything right the first time and beating it in a short period of time.

The final boss is the only one that still gives me shit. Because despite how much Dark Souls I've played, I never really finish it every single time. More like finish it to 90%. But I'm right there with you, I rarely will go more than 1-2 deaths on a boss and rarely die within the level. Maybe Catacombs cause I have that one memorized the least and I hate them skeles.

• @dipset I still find new stuff and I love that, how deep this game is.

The final boss, I tried using parry for the first and was embarrassinly easy. Took me less than a minute. Which was great, because that final stretch from the bonfire to the final boss is the weakest part of the game imo. It can get super boring.

btw I'm playing DS2 for the first time and I genuinely dislike it. It's not just the worst Souls game, it's not a good game. What do you think about it? Does it get better?

• @phbz

I like to compare Dark Souls II to Call of Duty. If you like COD, you'll like any COD in the sense that it's best in class for aiming and shooting and getting XP dopamine. Dark Souls II is fun in that raw mechanics of Dark Souls are solid.

Beyond that, the game is really flawed. It has a solid foundation but many games have a solid gameplay foundation. It's like DkS II makes so many poor design decisions that it makes you question whether any of this is actually fun in the end.

Some levels had no thought. And I mean no thought whatsoever. I'm not trying to be snarky here. I really mean it—some levels were slapped together like words on paper the night before the essay is due. We're talking doorways to nowhere, aimless empty buildings, just pure grouty ugly eye hurting textures.

alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text

Personally, I have major issues with DkSII. I think the level and enemy design are so bad that it makes entire sections of the game feel painful to progress through. One level is a fog forest with no boss and barely any worthwhile loot which leads to an empty sandy village with a couple of lion guys. There aren't any payoffs for slogging through it.

--

Here is a massive caveat—I've heard the PS4 "Scholar of the First Sin" version is a massive upgrade on the PC/PS3 version. I've heard the art in the levels has better lighting and textures. I've also heard the enemy placement, attacks, and overall patterns is more challenging and thought out.

I downloaded the PS4 version a year ago and haven't touched it yet. I would like to play it one day and see if it turns my outlook on the game around. Based on the PS3 version, I'd give it a 6-6.5/10 but I have a feeling the PS4 version is at least a point or two better.

• Klonoa

Fully completed the game on PS1 again. I'm still torn on which version I prefer, this or the Wii remake. Pushed into a decision I'd likely say this original

• Dying Light 2: Stay Human

I'm not ashamed to admit that I blazed through Dying Light 2's story and I did enjoy what I've played so here are my likes and gripes:
    -Brilliant feedback with weapons and the visceral lethality of the combat is so good
    -Certain missions put parkour to the test in some truly exciting ways but if you're afraid of heights-don't look down!
    -The abilities you acquire do feel worth spending skill points on.
    -The grappling hook and paraglider are very welcome new tools for parkour and general traversal.
    -The beginning starts strong and packs in the intrigue.

Gripes
    -The characters are stale and they don't feel truly embedded into Dying Light 2's post-apocalypse,
    -Typical open-world and mission busywork is plentiful,
    -Needing to hold down buttons to access menu options and objects is so tedious,
    -Parkour platforming can be irksome and imprecise occasionally,
    -Something is lost when the game lets you loose in its open-world.
    Overall
    7.5/10

• Olija

My first impression of this game was not the most positive as it looks kind of atrocious. But while its pixel art rivals my own lack of skills, it quickly stops being an issue, mostly because there's still a strong visual identity that goes hand in hand with the fantastic sound design and music, plus gameplay is fairly tight and smooth.

Olija manages to achieve something I love in a game and that's being an experience that constantly get better and better as you progress. There's always some small new thing being introduced, being items, mechanical variations or levels that disrupt its core loop and add a ton of atmosphere. And atmosphere is something this game excels at. I was not expecting it, given how simple it looks, to be so drawn so much by both its story and world.

It's on Gamepass and it's +-4h to beat. Highly recommend it.

8/10

• Contrast

I remember me wanting to play this back then and being disappointed that it turned out not being great. Of course if we compare it with something like Limbo this is not at all in the same league but now having played it I think it's fine.

It kinda gives me Alice and Psychonauts vibes. It seems obvious that this was a game wrapped around the core idea of jumping between reality and shadows without ever finding its footing when it comes to world and characters. Still I would enjoy a sequel made today, with more thought put into it, and maybe an opportunity to be a pioneer in actually implementing ray-tracing into core game design.

Pretty ok puzzle platformer with some cool moments.

• @phbz This was one of the first (maybe first?) games I've played on the PS4. I didn't beat it and I haven't touched it since but I definitely remember the clunkiness. I could be confusing my excitement with a new system, but I do recall having tons of fun and being sort of in awe.
    I weirdly think about it from time to time for no reason.

• @demonpirate It's flawed but it has its own charm and does some interesting stuff.

• Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
    Why is this as good as it is? The writing and quips are genuinely funny and entertaining, combat is engaging and I found myself losing or restarting battles quite a few times. It was not as easy as I thought it would be but, to be fair, I don't really play strategy games so that could be it.
    I just wish Mario wasn't a permanent member of the team, wanted to switch him out for other team combinations that suited my style more.

• Finished R&C Rift Apart. I wrote a longer review here. In short, this game is so fucking well made. The R&C formula has been basically sharpened like an razors edge. The story is suprisingly wholesome and uplifting, the gameplay is fun as heck, and it also happens to be an absolute next gen showpiece. Insomniac are truly veterans of the industry.

• @bam541

I'm planning to finish 2016 and this before december, so your review got me excited.

• Cuphead

Just an incredible game, the whole thing is so consistently near perfect from start to finish, that's difficult for me to pick what I love more about it.

In terms of design I really like the random variations that force you to think more than one move ahead. The game allows you to get into impossible situations but that ultimately depends on the player and how willing is he to risk it, and that's not just by ajusting to whatever variation a boss it doing but possible combinations that might corner you.

Really rewarding in the best ways, just pure gameplay. You learn, you adapt, you perfect it and there's always the excitement of wondering what will come next.

Funny that I've played it when it came out and I was just so burned out from work that I really didn't had the mental disposition to stick to it, even though I was enjoying it. It was the only game to ever brake me. Now weirdly it wasn't even that hard and even when it go a bit more demanding I was super motivated. Just pure bliss.

9.5/10

• The Pedestrian

A 2D puzzle platformer where you progress through a 3D environment... yeah, it's weird. I was unsure about trying this one, seemed gimmicky but once you star playing it you realise it's actually a quite clever and polished game. For the most part it flows perfectly but as you near the end there's a couple of annoying mechanics that while not terrible it worried me that it would overstay its welcome but thankfully there's a cool twist right at that point.

Sadly the writing -as the music - is kind of mediocre otherwise this could be one of the indie darlings of 2022.

It's on Game Pass and it takes you 4 to 5 hours to beat. So definitely try it if you need to play something until ER drops.

7/10

• Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
    I only realized after starting it that this times up really nice with the movie just coming out AND the Legacy of Thieves collection (which is not the version I played). Maybe some weird subliminal mind control marketing... who knows.

Anyways, this is so good. Chloe really made the game for me. She was one of the best parts of Uncharted 2 and her sudden disappearance during 3 was forced and felt. I'm still not big on Nadine. I just think she's so bland and boring. I know that pairs up nicely with Chloe's witty sarcastic Nathan-esque attitude, but I still wish we got someone like Charlie Cutter back instead.

This might also be the most I was invested with an Uncharted ancient civilization/empire/culture/city story. They repeated a bit too much but the Shiva's story with Parashurama and Ganesh(a) is really interesting. Coupled with Sala and the Tiger and the Hoysala empire, I was hooked. I went out of my way to read up on it outside of the game.

I have no idea how, but this actually looks better than Uncharted 4. Might be the prettiest game I've played. Is there any information on the development cycle and how long it was?

I hope we get more of these short and focused Uncharted games.

• Ico
    My first Team Ico / genDESIGN game :)
    I've always heard of how Ico is one of the first examples of video games considered art, but it seems that it was quickly overshadowed by its big brother Shadow of the Colossus as I rarely hear people talk about it anymore. Which is unfortunate, to say the least as I immediately fell in love with it.

Fumito Ueda and his team have such a firm grasp on how to create atmosphere and suck you into a world. It's incredible how well it holds up today.

From the first minute until the credits, it is extremely evident how so many games released after it are heavily inspired by its structure and design. Soulsborne, Nier, and Uncharted (I promise this makes sense if you play it) off the top of my head. I guarantee there are hundreds more too.

I can definitely understand why everyone was extremely excited for The Last Guardian now.

• @demonpirate I hope you enjoy the other Team Ico games as well (which I assume you will try out at some point)! Personally Ico is easily my favorite of the trilogy. It's the least flashy game out of the bunch, and that's exactly why I loved it so much. Most people liked SoTC the most which is why it kinda overshadows the other two games.