Last game you finished

• Elden Ring

The "worst" thing I can say about ER is that towards the end it becomes more Dark Souls than Elden Ring and while I do love Dark Souls, after 160 hours, I felt like that wasn't what I wanted. But saying that one of the best games ever gets worse because it becomes more like one of the best series ever is not bad. Might be me getting a bit burned out on the game after so many hours.

But this is honestly a very minor complaint. After my first playing session my gf walked into the room and I had tears in my eyes. I just had had this incredible adventure, where I went to randomly explore the first open area, noticed an island close to the shore. I went down a cliff, battled this huge troll, found a beach with some local fauna which I avoided harming, found a cave at the bottom of a cliff fought my way through it and once I beat that area boss, as I exited the cave, holy shit I'm in the island!

And for the most part this was my whole ER experience. A collection of incredible bite sized adventures, often with very satisfying outcomes. Be it some character or story development, a cool combat encounter or some mindblowing level design, there's always some kind of payout for being inquisitive.

I had a lot of fun with it, changing builds trying things out. I'm usually such a boring Souls player and here I just embraced the whole thing. For such a huge game that elasticity is fundamental if one wants to keep things fresh.

Optimization sucks! Damn how can they be so bad at it. The art direction is wonderful but on a graphical level this is not ground breaking. Such a shame they're so bad at it.

I don't like the main theme but I do love the soundtrack from a sound design perspective. The way music paints the ambient background is superb.

Most accessible "Souls" game by far but it makes sense considering the amount of content.

9.5/10

• Guardians of the Galaxy

Not surprisingly this is totally not for me, specially after Elden Ring.

It has its moments where the design is less typical and plays with player expectations. I did enjoyed that, when the game diverts from the typical 3rd person action format. Having decisions to impact on the game is also a cool thing I wish the genre did more.

The NPCs having a very reactive conversation system is super cool too but it's implementation is poor, clearly unfinished. Dialogues often interrupt themselves, characters that are having a conversation with another character on a distant part of the ship will magically appear next to you and talk to you. Yes it's a cool idea but terribly executed. It doesn't help that there's rarely a moment of silence, the chatter is endless, even in combat. The game has such an issue with silence that it rather repeat the same joke 3 times during a single encounter than just shutting the f off.

It feels unpolished and unfinished . The number of bugs I've encountered is staggering, some really silly like a character doing something and me triggering a second instance of that same character on screen.

Combat is mediocre. I have nothing else to say about it. Same as level design. There's like a team of 7 leads and 40 level designers doing god knows what, because for the most part this is basic and uninspired. Annoying characters and a narrative arc that also feels rushed, "glued with spit" like we say in my country.

Very surprised to see this game coming listed in some goty lists. I do think that on paper is actually very interesting and would love to see it well executed, at times I did enjoyed it, but this is not it.

6/10

• Tiny Tina's Wonderland

Did you like to play as Zane in Borderlands 3? Because now he's basically the only character to play as. Also it's short, like really short even by Borderlands standards (like 10 hours for a first playthru).

Will Arnet is pretty funny but half his dialog makes me want to go watch Bojack Horseman

• Halo 2

I wrote about completing Halo CE in the "12 in 12" thread. I generally felt like it was really cool to hop back in time to 2001 and play the highly influential classic, regardless of it's age.

Halo 2 is just more of everything and amplified and refined. I can totally see why this game was so celebrated back in 2004. However, I don't think it hold up as well as it's peers like Half Life 2.

That said, it was a blast to play co-op. Without the co-op factor, the game would've gotten boring. I don't understand why, but Bungie really likes making you go through the same level over and over again. Halo CE had this problem and so does Halo 2. They also insist on building out the greater lore and conflict that was really muted in the original game, but ever present here. Again, it's a Bungie thing, but they love giving you a TON of story information and dialogue when you're mid-gunfight and can't pay any attention to it whatsoever.

But Halo 2 is clearly the foundation of the rest of the series up to this date. It's hard to put it's refinements into words but the gunplay, physics sandbox, vehicle control, and actual controls itself were refined to near perfection here. So I think if anything in Halo 2 stands the test of time, it's how good this game feels to play.

Onto Halo 3 which was recently updated with cross-play co-op on MCC. So I'll likely do a 3-player coop with buddies. Halo 3 is an all time Top 5-10 game based off of Multiplayer and Forge alone. I've never played the Campaign but I'm super hyped to try it.

• Broken Sword 5

Didn't knew what to expect but it ended up being enjoyable.

As a point n click adventure it does a great job in not overwhelming the player with locations and inventory, so you'll never feel like you don't know what to do or where to go. This makes the game's pace excellent. You're constantly progressing while unveiling the mystery, and it's a good one, filled with cool moments and characters.

Unfortunately once you hit around 80%, there's a quality drop. Real shame because for the most part this was a cool intriguing detective story. Still worth the time.

7.5/10

• Kirbay and the Forgotten Land (Switch)

It's the "3D Land/World" of Kirby games and it is fantastic. Great and creative level design, fun to collect stuff and great for multiplayer. Really makes me wish Nintendo would bring more of their 2D platformers to this "Crash Bandicoot-esque" style of platformers.
    The only thing I don't like is the performance. Every thing is a distance has a very slow frame rate and it looks very ugly. The Switch really needs an upgrade :/

Elden Ring (PS5)
    I was a little bit weirded out by this game is the beginning but at some point I got really hooked. I think I might actually consider this to be the best of From's Soulsborne, though this might change over time as I've only just finished it. I just love exploring this world. I like they lowered the difficulty a bit compared to some of the most recent From games like Sekiro and Dark Souls 3. I like that you can do so much stuff out of order again. If you are struggling with a boss you can just go somewhere else and come back later (like you could do In demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1). I really missed this in the more recent From games.
    Elden Ring feels really fresh but at the same time also a nice return to form in a lot of ways and I love it.
    The issues I have with Elden Ring are the same issues I had since the beginning of the series. A lot of them are nitpicks and you've probably heard them in a lot of places over the years so I won't list them. But one big issue that has been existing since Demon's Souls is the lock on. It is horrible. You will still lose your lock on when an enemy goes out of range or hides behind a pillar or corner. It is so frustrating, especially when boss like to jump all over the place, why would I ever want to automatically lose the lock on in a boss fight? Why has nobody thought of fixing this after all these years?

• Citizen Sleeper is great. You can tell it was written by one person that is a really good writer. It's messy and lives in the grey areas, but it still has something to say about the things it cares about. The subtext of capitalism and bodily autonomy are prevalent throughout. The idea of community and freedom are not just themes, but how you progress through the story. This is essentially a tabletop RPG presented with some visual novel elements. Depending on your physical condition, you start every day with a number of dice. You use these dice to determine your "success" or "failure" on various interactions. Oftentimes there's a ticking clock driving you to complete a thing, or your own hunger, or your body's need for certain medicines.

There seems to be quite a few endings, depending on how you spend your time, who you interact with and how. I saw 4 of them, none of them were more than bittersweet. It's just that kind of game. :)

Youtube Video

• Alan Wake Remastered, kinda kicking myself for not playing it sooner, but I can now better appreciate how it connects to Control, and can say I'll be grabbing Alan Wake 2 day one.

• Disco Elysium

We need more games like this. Games that don't use combat as a gameplay loop/hook and touch interesting mature topics with depth.

My main issues are that level design and path implementation have some issues and some dialogue bugs that should have been solved on this Final Cut version.

Aside from those issues what an incredible game. So well written, be it in its prose, characters or world. The way as your attributes shape your perception of the world is a brilliant mechanic I want this team to expand upon in future projects. It's the kind of game that by the end I wish I could still continue playing it. No seriously, I need more!

Beautiful art and music too.

9/10

• Full playthrough of Mass Effect Legendary Edition. My goodness, time has been good to this game. Even now, a full playthrough of the trilogy reveals how ahead of its time it was. I was not someone who was particularly bothered by the ME3 ending to begin with, particularly when you consider that literally everything in ME3 is payoff resulting from your choices in 1 and 2, but now in 2022, I am particularly convinced that this game has weathered the storm. This was my first time playing the citadel DLC as well which really is the sendoff that I think everyone had been hoping for. Crazy to think how it was post-release DLC that probably only a fraction of players experienced. The writing, music, characters across all three games was groundbreaking, even for Bioware's formally lofty standards. It makes me sad to think that we are not likely to get a Bioware experience like this ever again. Anyway, I cannot recommend a full playthrough of Legendary edition enough, for both first time players or old veterans.

• Bravely Second: End Layer (3DS)

Just like the original the gameplay is excellent but the story and characters are kinda boring. The story is actually not too bad and it has some cool ideas near the end but it's just that the dialogue is very long-winded so I ended up skipping most the cutscenes.

The gameplay is where it's at with these Bravely Default games. Bravely Second has a really great selection of jobs, some very cool new ones and interesting takes on the classics. The Boss fights are all excellent. The battle system is the same as the first game but it's really good. I also like that has a lot of QoL features like changing the encounter rate and difficulty when you want.

• I finished zelda awakening, I found the game really fun with simple, effective gameplay

• Tunic

Kinda mandatory to say it... Dark Souls meets Zelda, not an unfair comparison tbh.

My main complaint is that it could be a bit longer. Character design isn't great either. Combat is fine but it could be better, it SHOULD be better actually, because level design and how the in-game game manual works are stellar.

Level design is what you imagine a mix of isometric Zelda and Dark Souls should be. But the coolest thing really is that many shortcuts are not locked, they're hidden in plain sight and often you feel "stupid" for missing them (in a good way).

Then you have the manual. The game gives you very little info and while you explore you find its pages that give you hints about controls, lore and puzzles. A really good idea, very well executed.

For sure it will be on my top of 2022.

9/10

• @phbz

Damn, you're selling me on it here. I couldn't quite get a feel for the game from reviews but I love well made Zelda clones. Dark Souls backtracking to unlock shortcuts is probably one of the most satisfying things in gaming.

• Wrote a short review on Ape Escape. TLDR: I loved it and now the AE sequels are near the very top of my PS Plus classics wishlist.

https://ggapp.io/theebigbamtheory/reviews/ape-escape/0qoeBOEK

• Umurangi Generation

This game has 84 on Metacritic and I honestly don't get it.

The concept is interesting enough, you are a photographer during war but for the most part what you do is taking photos to people living their lives. Which could be great.

The graphics are PSX style and although too rough I like the style. Not incredibly well executed but fine.

Music is great. The only great thing about this game.

Level design is terrible. Movement feels horrible. The tasks in each level are not great. Every thing is so amateur and underdeveloped, it's a mystery how this is so highly rated.

3/10

• I've been tucking into Sniper Elite 5 these past few days. While the satisfaction of crunching skulls with crispy head, heart, lung, torso and testicle shots with a precision sniper's efficiency never gets old, and the improved combat makes SE5 a more capable third-person shooter than ever before, but it does feel quite rigidly designed.

First of all, the open areas may appear to give you more legroom to tackle objectives, they tend to include many of the same kinds of objectives. You're either blowing a structure up, taking out a target Nazi or infiltrating a base. There's very little reason to care about what you are doing because context and characters are flat and unengaging-especially the stonehead you play as Karl Fairburne.

Seriously Fairburne is like an emotionless action man all about killing Nazis and offering minor insights into the guns you pick up off the ground. I know Nazi killing is what people play Sniper Elite for, but these games seem to have the intellect level of a donut because they don't evolve past the "Nazis are bad so they need to die" mindset.

Thankfully I feel like the historical backbone and the environments you sharpshoot in are quite lovely. Desolate beaches, hilly bunkers, rural courtyards and castles are among the levels you will trek through, but they're somewhat diminished by the labyrinthian nature of some of them with many rooms and hallways that lead to other off-shooting rooms and hallways-can be quite a monotonous task to navigate them at times.

I hear murmurings about people saying Sniper Elite 5 is great because it's like Metal Gear Solid and Hitman. Yes there are echoes of those stealth action juggernauts in here, but let's not get carried away-Sniper Elite 5 is not as great as they are, and it doesn't do much to stand up on its own two feet-Hitman and Metal Gear Solid appear to be the crutches Sniper Elite leans on too heavily to support itself because without them it'll collapse in whimpering agony.

Anyway with all this waffling I did like Sniper Elite 5 but I don't think there has been enough of an evolution since the previous game came out 5 years ago. It's good, but I don't think there's enough here to make it a worthy purchase. Oh and paying extra for the Hitler dlc is a shitty move.

Overall
    7.1/10

• @jdincinerator how does it compare to Sniper Elite 4? I remember enjoying the third game back in the day, but I played the 4th game recently and it's just not as exciting as I wanted it to be.

• @bam541 I find Sniper Elite 5 sorta similar to Sniper Elite 4 in various ways. I do think the combat has improved some and the open environments might be a nice change, but I really don't see significant strides forward with SE5.

• A Memoir Blue - A Journey Into the Depths of Memory

Not really a game, more like an interactive animation.

It's a short experience that you'll go through in one sitting. Well paced, visually appealing, with a good soundtrack to go along.

It's a touching emotional story, that is easy for one to identify with. Yet it lacks something to really elevate the whole package.

If you have Game Pass don't miss it, otherwise I don't think it's worth it unless it's really cheap.

7/10